Not going well on Sun cruise .

patannel

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we continuously aim to offer the best vacation experience for all our guests. As part of our Norwegian Edge[emoji769] program, Norwegian Sun is currently undergoing enhancements to better serve our guests. The program is a significant investment designed to ensure every ship across the fleet delivers a consistently high-quality experience to all of our guests. While we do our utmost to minimize any impact on the guest experience when these enhancements are taking place, we recognize that in this situation our guests have experienced some inconvenience. As a gesture of our gratitude for our guests' patience and understanding, we will be extending a future cruise credit of 25% of their cruise fare paid, which can be applied towards another cruise of their choice from now through March 31, 2019.

25 percent towards a future cruise is very generous. Good job NCL!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just saw a CruiseCritic member called "oldpianos " posted a review today on the review page for the Sun. For me, it at least provides another glimpse on the part of the situation shown in the posted of the Sun Deck 12 work.

The ship itself is quite nice and beautiful, but as they are getting ready to go into dry dock, they were removing all the sun deck mats and repairing and replacing them with the rubberized coating like most ships have. Therefore, at any given time half or more of the sun decks were closed off. This made finding a place for a deck chair difficult as people were three deep
If most of the significant work is being done outdoors and mostly confined to the upper sun deck, I think people would be hard-pressed to be successful in attempting to get even a 50% or a full refund. I think the 25% offer made by NCL would be adequate. And before someone tries to imply that I too am an apologist for NCL, I have yet to sail on any NCL ship. My first will be on the Sun in late May. What I am is a seasoned traveler who understands things happen. My last cruise was on the Carnival Valor. During the duration of that seven-day cruise, we had to no A/C in our cabin. The cabin stewards, ship's engineering staff, and hotel staff did everything in their power to make us comfortable. I did not think for one instance that I should demand some compensation, especially asking for the daily service charges to be refunded. That hurts no one but the crew.

WOW - this has me very worried about our upcoming Star cruise next week - just prior to it's dry dock too! I have asthma - I will be LIVID if their negligence causes me to be medivac away from my kids!

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we continuously aim to offer the best vacation experience for all our guests. As part of our Norwegian Edge[emoji769] program, Norwegian Sun is currently undergoing enhancements to better serve our guests. The program is a significant investment designed to ensure every ship across the fleet delivers a consistently high-quality experience to all of our guests. While we do our utmost to minimize any impact on the guest experience when these enhancements are taking place, we recognize that in this situation our guests have experienced some inconvenience. As a gesture of our gratitude for our guests' patience and understanding, we will be extending a future cruise credit of 25% of their cruise fare paid, which can be applied towards another cruise of their choice from now through March 31, 2019.

Marketing babble speak aside, is this a sick joke?

If that was my response from NCL on my cruise I would be livid. No sincerity and pathetic credit offer. I have a NCL cruise booked in June, but even if it's problem free, just reading this thread and the NCL response has convinced me to try a new line for my next cruise.

It is not uncommon that a cruise line will make an offer to the guests on board when inconvenienced in this manner. The offer at least to me, seems consistent with a percentage off and a time frame to use that occurs across all cruiselines when big deals like this happen.

It is also not uncommon for work to occur while guests are on board on other lines, and history has shown that its not uncommon for lines to dig in early and while ships are still actively underway to start their upgrades.

As it all turns out, it is impactful, it is not innocuous, and while a standard approach IMHO in the industry, it is a screw you way to go about doing things to fast track a renovation when people are on hard earned vacations and want nothing but the best for their very limited experience while on board.

ALL cruise lines who approach their major upgrades have gotten away with this method of inconveniencing guests for far too long.

cheap, crappy offer. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Its stupid too. You will be losing customers for life.

I have a cruise booked on NCL the first part of next year and I will very carefully check it out before the 90 day final payment and if anything seems even slightly fishy, I will cancel.

You cannot be trusted.

I have a cruise booked on NCL the first part of next year and I will very carefully check it out before the 90 day final payment and if anything seems even slightly fishy, I will cancel.

You cannot be trusted.

If NCL cannot be trusted then why not just cancel your cruise now and cruise a different cruise line?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You cannot be trusted.

Might be a crappy offer, but I doubt they are terribly worried about losing a customers. Like any other business, for many reasons customers come and go. Let's just hope the conditions improve after dry dock is finished. :rolleyes:

John, why don't you just cancel now? Waiting and making final payment is no guarantee things will not be up to your standards when the cruise time comes. As for 25% toward another cruise, I happen to think it isn't all that great either but remember people still are getting all their meals, in many cases booze, entertainment, etc. So what kind of a offer do you think NCL should have made?

Edited by newmexicoNita

Why don't you enlighten us with your knowledge .

It’s common sense. If there are workers clad with personal protective equipment, you wouldn’t want to be near them without it.

Make sense to you now? It’s really not that hard.

I will continue to cruise NCL. Over the last few months I have read about construction during cruises, groups of 500 people with different cultural habits than the US, ships with over 2000 children, spring break party cruises, etc. etc. I have a feeling this is industry wide. If I want to cruise I have to roll the dice.

You cannot be trusted.

Since they owe them nothing, this is a most generous offer.

And you better watch your final payment date. It may not 90 days.

It’s common sense. If there are workers clad with personal protective equipment, you wouldn’t want to be near them without it.

Make sense to you now? It’s really not that hard.

Have you Ever seen non hazardous" Clean Room " attire?;p

You cannot be trusted.

Since you never know when something fishy will jump into the ship and you don't trust NCL, I'd cancel now and look for a cruise line less fishy, because the earlier you cancel the better price you will have on another line.

Yeah sure they wear the respirators for fun. Got it.

Okay, it's almost Easter, and I'm feeling charitable, so I'll feed the troll.

What is the TLV, STEL, and LTEL for the product being used? Don't know, or even what those terms mean? They will determine whether or not someone needs a respirator, and other protective gear, and where someone who is not exposed to the STEL doesn't need a respirator or protective gear. This is all defined in the MSDS or SDS that I referenced in my earlier post. This is the documentation that every industry uses to determine risk and hazards when using material, and the measures to be taken to mitigate those risks and hazards. Hell, I've even seen an MSDS on hand soap (basically it says "don't eat it"). Or do you feel that anytime a hazardous material is used, the same effects can be experienced from 3 feet and 10 miles?

Hint: this is why they taped off sections of deck while applying the product, to keep people outside the area where they would be exposed to even the LTEL.

You weren’t there, you have no idea what chemicals were used where or when they were used Just assuming they are not hazardous to the guests is reckless at best.

Again. A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous.

Perhaps you don't realize who you are admonishing in ChengKP. (Chief Engineer) has about 40 years experience on cruise ships and maritime vessels. He's pretty much the most knowledgeable person on this forum when it comes to things like this and I say that as a career Navy person, myself.

Edited by ColeThornton

What I don’t understand is, if they knew they were going to be disrupting this much of the ship and passengers on this sailing, then why not market as a an “under construction” cruise?

Then sell it as a discount to the passengers with the knowledge some parts of the ship will be worked on at random times, locations, etc? I have a feeling they would still be able to fill the ship with locals or people who can’t normally afford to cruise (college kids etc.), without pissing off their normal sailing demographic.

By handling it in a wait and see fashion, they now have betrayed people’s trust, lost future revenue, have to offer the 25% voucher and now risk bad press. Why is NCL so against transparency?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will continue to cruise NCL. Over the last few months I have read about construction during cruises, groups of 500 people with different cultural habits than the US, ships with over 2000 children, spring break party cruises, etc. etc. I have a feeling this is industry wide. If I want to cruise I have to roll the dice.

good points and good attitude peachy.

Do you work for or affiliated with ncl? I normally only associate this kind of support with sports teams.

Fair would be 25% of the TOTAL fare as a refund not a credit to a future cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

are you serious? Obviously a credit benefits the company and still gives the client some credit for their inconvenience. Those who will sail NCL will be happy to get the credit, those who are totally unhappy will just take their money and run. This is what business is all about. Satisfy the repeaters, forget those who will not be returning regardless of the offer.

Okay, it's almost Easter, and I'm feeling charitable, so I'll feed the troll.

What is the TLV, STEL, and LTEL for the product being used? Don't know, or even what those terms mean? They will determine whether or not someone needs a respirator, and other protective gear, and where someone who is not exposed to the STEL doesn't need a respirator or protective gear. This is all defined in the MSDS or SDS that I referenced in my earlier post. This is the documentation that every industry uses to determine risk and hazards when using material, and the measures to be taken to mitigate those risks and hazards. Hell, I've even seen an MSDS on hand soap (basically it says "don't eat it"). Or do you feel that anytime a hazardous material is used, the same effects can be experienced from 3 feet and 10 miles?

My daughter is a chemist who trains new hires how to read a MSDS. She starts with one MSDS handout that has the name of the chemical obscured. Unlike the Internet meme about DHMO (dihydrogen oxide), it is a real live MSDS from their safety binders, and is a chemical their plant uses daily. The new hires are often college graduates with degrees in a hard science (biology, physiology, chemistry). They read the MSDS and then comment on it for a few minutes. Most of her students say it shouldn't be in use, and a few say they are reconsidering working there. Then they open the safety binder they were given and find the MSDS for ... the table salt they use.

While I hate that cruise lines seem to have begun doing scheduled remodeling while ships are full of passengers, NCL is certainly not the only one doing this. I've read other complaints over the last couple of years for various cruise lines with similar situations. There was an ongoing thread on another website quite recently about a Disney ship and the major construction going on with passengers on board. Imagine paying the premium for a Disney cruise and having to put up with that!

While I don't think it's fair for cruise lines to do this, a lot of them do. Saying you're never going to sail NCL again might make you feel better in the short term, but it's no guarantee that this won't happen to you again on some other cruise line. As others have mentioned, avoiding the sailings either right before or right after a dry dock is really the best plan. Now, if there was just an easy way to figure out what those cruises were, we'd be set! :rolleyes:

Perhaps you don't realize who you are admonishing in ChengKP. (Chief Engineer) has about 40 years experience on cruise ships and maritime vessels. He's pretty much the most knowledgeable person on this forum when it comes to things like this and I say that as a career Navy person, myself.

:D(y)