Not going well on Sun cruise .

patannel

Why is NCL so against transparency?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Could be a case of left hand not talking to right hand. Captain and senior ship staff were either not totally informed or unaware of the full extent of disruption until it was too late.

are you serious? Obviously a credit benefits the company and still gives the client some credit for their inconvenience. Those who will sail NCL will be happy to get the credit, those who are totally unhappy will just take their money and run. This is what business is all about. Satisfy the repeaters, forget those who will not be returning regardless of the offer.

That is what customer protection laws are all about.

Could be a case of left hand not talking to right hand. Captain and senior ship staff were either not totally informed or unaware of the full extent of disruption until it was too late.

Sometimes it is just ignorance and truly not knowing the severity of the impact. This event sounds like it was a pretty big deal, not one that could be tolerated, particularly because people's heath was impacted.

Disappointing.

We usually sail RCCL but have lately been looking at adding other cruise lines into the mix. NCL is on our short list, so I've been reviewing the CC posts and reviews to get a feel. This situation would really make me think twice. Not that I didn't have a previous experience with this on RCCL. On one of our sailings on that line, the ship was headed to dry dock. The work only started late on the last night of the cruise and had little impact on us.....

For those of you who are wondering about the DSC onboard refund. We have already received the credit onboard. Yes, we are still onboard, and can hardly wait to get off in LA. The people who are adamant about not taking off the DSC should crunch the numbers before saying how poorly the staff are paid. If everyone pays only the DSC and nothing extra, a full ship will give NCL 420,000 usd to disperse amongst the apx 900 crew, which by the way, includes all crew on board, from Captain, down. If you take Officers, Spa staff, contractors, entertainment staff etc off the list, then you are down to apx 700 belowdeck staff to disperse the $420,000Usd. A nice tip for a 15 day cruise. The crew also have a wage. So please, no more. It is the ONLY way to show our displeasure with the way the cruise is going, that will make NCL take notice.

a) 1100+ crew.

b) even using your numbers, it's about $3 / hr. WOWee!

After looking at more pictures from cruisers, apparently the Sun is getting a "Los Lobos" restaurant, but I can't tell what it's replacing.

Interesting...where are you seeing the pictures?

Rumor on another thread mentioned the observation lounge going away, which I didn't want to hear - this news about Los Lobos doesn't thrill me either. I really like the Sun, but taking away a great space and adding another fee restaurant when the Sun doesn't even have an O' Sheehan's kind of stinks, IMO. It would be cool if the observation lounge became an O' Sheehan's though...

Okay, it's almost Easter, and I'm feeling charitable, so I'll feed the troll.

What is the TLV, STEL, and LTEL for the product being used? Don't know, or even what those terms mean? They will determine whether or not someone needs a respirator, and other protective gear, and where someone who is not exposed to the STEL doesn't need a respirator or protective gear. This is all defined in the MSDS or SDS that I referenced in my earlier post. This is the documentation that every industry uses to determine risk and hazards when using material, and the measures to be taken to mitigate those risks and hazards. Hell, I've even seen an MSDS on hand soap (basically it says "don't eat it"). Or do you feel that anytime a hazardous material is used, the same effects can be experienced from 3 feet and 10 miles?

Hint: this is why they taped off sections of deck while applying the product, to keep people outside the area where they would be exposed to even the LTEL.

I'm not going to challenge your professional expertise from decades in the marine industry, but I think you may be missing the forest for the trees here; why should anyone going on a cruise vacation have to put up with any of this situation?

Every cruise line is guilty of this. They take guests money and do not tell them this work will occur or the scope of it / limitations to expected use of space and venues. Non-invasive maintenance, emergency repair, etc., sure, that's one thing; this is a cruise long corporate decision to turn the ship into a work zone during a revenue cruise and it is unacceptable. I don't care WHAT logo is on the side of the ship. It is bad business practice. If they need more time in dry dock they should schedule it and earn it back through revenue properly. Exceptions can be excused, but this is done purposely and disrespects the clients time and money.

I'm not going to challenge your professional expertise from decades in the marine industry, but I think you may be missing the forest for the trees here; why should anyone going on a cruise vacation have to put up with any of this situation?

Every cruise line is guilty of this. They take guests money and do not tell them this work will occur or the scope of it / limitations to expected use of space and venues. Non-invasive maintenance, emergency repair, etc., sure, that's one thing; this is a cruise long corporate decision to turn the ship into a work zone during a revenue cruise and it is unacceptable. I don't care WHAT logo is on the side of the ship. It is bad business practice. If they need more time in dry dock they should schedule it and earn it back through revenue properly. Exceptions can be excused, but this is done purposely and disrespects the clients time and money.

Not only are cruise lines guilty of this, but so are hotels and resorts.

As I said, I wasn't diminishing the disappointment the poster experienced with the cruise, I was directing this specifically at the charge that the ship was using toxic chemicals and were trying to cover it up by disposing of the "evidence" in Mexico. Then the other poster started to claim that I didn't know what I was talking about.

As I've said many times, I don't comment on whether guest services have failed or whether compensation is warranted, as this is not my area of expertise. I do feel that this is becoming the norm in the industry, though, as profit margins narrow, despite the claims from many that the lines are reaping huge profits from the "cutbacks" and "nickel and diming".

The work disrupted the cruise, no question, and there were aspects of it that were uncomfortable, but I was expressing my opinion that I didn't feel that the health of the passengers was being threatened by the use of the products being shown in the photos.

After looking at more pictures from cruisers, apparently the Sun is getting a "Los Lobos" restaurant, but I can't tell what it's replacing.

My guess is that it is replacing Las Ramblas - deck 12 aft. We were on 2 week cruises on the Sun in 2016 and 2017 and that space was underutilized.

As mentioned, what that ship really could use is a O'Sheehan's type restaurant to provide an alternative to the cramped buffet.

Not only are cruise lines guilty of this, but so are hotels and resorts.

This event seems more unique than ordinary in the course of renovations IMHO. Sticking with the Cruise Line Industry solely, and not hotels and resorts and what they do, I don't think that a FCC is suitable. Other lines at other times have offered much more immediate change in the pocket/partial credits to booking account/refund; COUPLED with a FCC to respect the passengers involved.

My guess is that it is replacing Las Ramblas - deck 12 aft. We were on 2 week cruises on the Sun in 2016 and 2017 and that space was underutilized.

As mentioned, what that ship really could use is a O'Sheehan's type restaurant to provide an alternative to the cramped buffet.

Makes sense considering they probably wouldn't have two "spanish/mexican" themed restaurants and the space was underutilized. I guess folks getting off the sun will be able to tell us where that construction was happening.

Won't absolve behavior by angry mob; but Captain not liking getting tough questions does not mean he doesn't have to address it. Onboard staff is in a no win situation here really because corporate decided to screw the guests and leave the crew to deal with it.
In the beginning, he said he would be there for 20 minutes to answer questions, but because of the behavior of some, he left. Folks were yelling out their questions over others yelling their questions over others yelling and no one could be heard. It seemed obvious to me that some didn't want any answers, they just wanted to yell at someone.

are you serious? Obviously a credit benefits the company and still gives the client some credit for their inconvenience. Those who will sail NCL will be happy to get the credit, those who are totally unhappy will just take their money and run. This is what business is all about. Satisfy the repeaters, forget those who will not be returning regardless of the offer.

fine, but the day your vacation is ruined by false advertising please do not come to this site to complain. It amazes me the cheer leading for these corporations. People pay a large amount of money to enjoy their vacation and do not expect to arrive to find significant areas of the ship under construction, toxic fumes and materials invading their dining locations, promised goods not being available.

If this were a land based location in the USA their legal recourse would be a lot more. Compensation that only comes in forcing someone to risk the same disappointment again is hardly compensation.

In the beginning, he said he would be there for 20 minutes to answer questions, but because of the behavior of some, he left. Folks were yelling out their questions over others yelling their questions over others yelling and no one could be heard. It seemed obvious to me that some didn't want any answers, they just wanted to yell at someone.
]

Sounds like a Condo Association Meeting.

(I know I am being very, very flip, I apologize.)

As I said, I wasn't diminishing the disappointment the poster experienced with the cruise, I was directing this specifically at the charge that the ship was using toxic chemicals and were trying to cover it up by disposing of the "evidence" in Mexico. Then the other poster started to claim that I didn't know what I was talking about.

As I've said many times, I don't comment on whether guest services have failed or whether compensation is warranted, as this is not my area of expertise. I do feel that this is becoming the norm in the industry, though, as profit margins narrow, despite the claims from many that the lines are reaping huge profits from the "cutbacks" and "nickel and diming".

The work disrupted the cruise, no question, and there were aspects of it that were uncomfortable, but I was expressing my opinion that I didn't feel that the health of the passengers was being threatened by the use of the products being shown in the photos.

Hi Cheng - appreciate all your comments explaining the technical elements of ships.

On the profitability issue I do not understand this when the share prices of these companies have risen significantly as has the remuneration of the top executives (NCL CEO reported to have made over $30m in one year in another thread)?

]

Sounds like a Condo Association Meeting.

(I know I am being very, very flip, I apologize.)

As a committee director in a very large HOA, that assessment is spot on. That said, when board members look to dismiss a grievance because they don't like the tone I hold their feet to the fire and tell them they volunteered and ran for the position and they can't toss out a valid point just because they don't like how they were communicated with. Leadership positions must rise above noise and look for ways to resolve or diffuse the situation. I'm not saying anyone has a right to yell and scream, but the Captain didn't help the situation by leaving either.

NCL is the only cruiseline I have sailed with. Love the many cruises we have had with them. If I was on this cruise I would have been horrible upset and wanted a full refund. We only have the funds to cruise once a year or every two years. This cruise would leave me crying that my one cruise was a disaster. Watching the video of the woman videoing the noise from construction was horrible. the pics of all the closed off areas and dust settling in all the public areas was unexucible. ncl should be ashamed of themselves. We are booked in fall of this year for 14 night cruise with NCL and am rethinking my decision.

As a committee director in a very large HOA, that assessment is spot on. That said, when board members look to dismiss a grievance because they don't like the tone I hold their feet to the fire and tell them they volunteered and ran for the position and they can't toss out a valid point just because they don't like how they were communicated with. Leadership positions must rise above noise and look for ways to resolve or diffuse the situation. I'm not saying anyone has a right to yell and scream, but the Captain didn't help the situation by leaving either.

He may have helped by leaving. We'd have to be there to be sure, but if the tension was escalating when he was in the room, and then de-escalated when he left the room, he did the right thing. I suspect that's what happened.

NCL is the only cruiseline I have sailed with. Love the many cruises we have had with them. If I was on this cruise I would have been horrible upset and wanted a full refund. We only have the funds to cruise once a year or every two years. This cruise would leave me crying that my one cruise was a disaster. Watching the video of the woman videoing the noise from construction was horrible. the pics of all the closed off areas and dust settling in all the public areas was unexucible. ncl should be ashamed of themselves. We are booked in fall of this year for 14 night cruise with NCL and am rethinking my decision.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. Just look at the schedule and ask here to see when your ship is due for it's next dry dock. Then make sure you're not sailing any where near that date. I'm going to use at least two cruises on either side of the scheduled maintenance.

Dawn had a full refurb 2 years ago. You won't have any of these issues on your October cruise.

I just saw various photos and videos from this Sun cruise, and I believe the passengers on this trip deserve immediate compensation. Not a future cruise credit.

This was not just routine maintenance with areas affected for short periods of time. The Sun is a small ship and the loud noise, dust, and fumes from all the work were probably very difficult to get away from. Does any one know how many days this was going on?

When I first started reading this thread I thought a few people were over reacting to their experience on the ship, but I changed my mind after watching the videos and seeing the photos.

I just saw various photos and videos from this Sun cruise, and I believe the passengers on this trip deserve immediate compensation. Not a future cruise credit.

This was not just routine maintenance with areas affected for short periods of time. The Sun is a small ship and the loud noise, dust, and fumes from all the work were probably very difficult to get away from. Does any one know how many days this was going on?

When I first started reading this thread I thought a few people were over reacting to their experience on the ship, but I changed my mind after watching the videos and seeing the photos.

The work continued for the entire 16 day cruise...the acetone smell came and went, never constant in our area, the noise on the pool deck was probably more than half the days, but was unusable for the entire cruise. The construction noise from las ramblas was the entire cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums