Not going well on Sun cruise .

patannel

Although it's difficult to shown how dirty the ship is, I've attached 4 photos showing the "horror". Regarding the muster stations and life boats, the area was closed for around 3 days. For some of this time the doors leading onto the deck were locked, so there was no way of getting there in an emergency. The most frustrating thing was that Guest Services didn't have a consistent answer on what to do in an emergency. I was told that they would "probably" open the decks. Someone else was told that the captain would allocate new muster areas and let us know (presumably during the time that he was trying to stop the boat from sinking). Another person was told to go to the lifeboats on the side of the ship that were open. This is not Guest Services fault. I'm sure that they are as much in the dark as we are.

There wasn't any communication before the cruise that work would be going on. There was no communication throughout the cruise about what work would be going on and what would be closed. In fact, the daily newsletter said that the jogging deck (which is the same deck that the muster stations) would be open all day when it was only fully open on a few days.

Yesterday they started scrubbing the inside of the main funnel (it's the 4th photo but hard to see that someone is inside). A lot of white paper-like substance rained down on the deck. It went into the buffet at the back of the ship which they had to eventually close. Who knows what it is or if it was toxic. Again, no information. Just all of a sudden men are climbing into the funnel and stuff starts coming out.

Finally, last night, we received a communication from the Vice President of Passenger Services saying that they "understand that some of these enhancements have affected your experience with us and we apologize for the inconvenience". Their initial offer is a credit of 25% of the cruise fare paid that can be used against another NCL cruise before March 31, 2019. This of course assumes that I ever want to trust NCL again. It's nice that have recognized that the cruise is substandard. They need to quickly come to a better understanding of how substandard it is and make an offer that reflects this.

Thanks to bostongal965 for giving a link to some more photos and to everyone who has given supportive comments.

image1.jpg.52c2cba72b893293ba1dbe472b4953f9.jpg

image2.jpg.2a6590b14d8eaaed8e882dcca3f2cf4d.jpg

IMG_20180327_153928506.jpg.f0a76324f5f2167cd8e2ccef0b5ef0db.jpg

IMG_20180327_154451099.jpg.0773444ecb286fd53277effc804112fb.jpg

I'm not sure who made the decision to do it this way, as it is a horrible customer experience that will drive away repeat customers.

I know one thing; I won't ever sail on a ship within two sailings of a scheduled dry dock.

I'm not sure who made the decision to do it this way, as it is a horrible customer experience that will drive away repeat customers.

I know one thing; I won't ever sail on a ship within two sailings of a scheduled dry dock.

totally agree, either way, before or after.

that is their standard answer to problems...25% off the price you paid...minus port taxes and non commissionable fare So if you paid in total say...$1,000 per person ....you % off is not going to be $250.

It's ridiculous no matter what goes wrong on a cruise that's what they offer. Every one. Every time.

This reminds me of a trip we had to Opryland hotel in 2001. Paid thru the nose for rooms on a dream-come-true trip only to have SO much if the place torn up, inaccessible, and construction noises all day long. Looooong lines at customer service all day long. I felt so deflated.

I’m Sorry you are experiencing this. [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This reminds me of a trip we had to Opryland hotel in 2001. Paid thru the nose for rooms on a dream-come-true trip only to have SO much if the place torn up' date=' inaccessible, and construction noises all day long. Looooong lines at customer service all day long. I felt so deflated.

I’m Sorry you are experiencing this. [emoji17']

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting you mention this. We were supposed to be there Nov 2001--hotel called me a couple weeks before, said "you know, you might want to look for alternate accommodation, and we can help". Ended up staying close to aeroport. Not ideal' appreciated the heads-up.

For those of you who are wondering about the DSC onboard refund. We have already received the credit onboard. Yes, we are still onboard, and can hardly wait to get off in LA. The people who are adamant about not taking off the DSC should crunch the numbers before saying how poorly the staff are paid. If everyone pays only the DSC and nothing extra, a full ship will give NCL 420,000 usd to disperse amongst the apx 900 crew, which by the way, includes all crew on board, from Captain, down. If you take Officers, Spa staff, contractors, entertainment staff etc off the list, then you are down to apx 700 belowdeck staff to disperse the $420,000Usd. A nice tip for a 15 day cruise. The crew also have a wage. So please, no more. It is the ONLY way to show our displeasure with the way the cruise is going, that will make NCL take notice.

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we continuously aim to offer the best vacation experience for all our guests. As part of our Norwegian Edge[emoji769] program, Norwegian Sun is currently undergoing enhancements to better serve our guests. The program is a significant investment designed to ensure every ship across the fleet delivers a consistently high-quality experience to all of our guests. While we do our utmost to minimize any impact on the guest experience when these enhancements are taking place, we recognize that in this situation our guests have experienced some inconvenience. As a gesture of our gratitude for our guests' patience and understanding, we will be extending a future cruise credit of 25% of their cruise fare paid, which can be applied towards another cruise of their choice from now through March 31, 2019.

I appreciate reading the experience of passengers currently aboard Sun. Does Corporate really think passengers will not notice?

I "believe" Star will undergo a drydock after its Transatlantic sailing upcoming on April 22. I just wonder if NCL will jump the gun on making enhancements and try the same on our cruise.

Dear NCL. You have failed miserably if you actually tried to minimise the guest experience of passengers on this cruise of the Norwegian Sun. Your communication to passengers was woeful because there wasn’t any. You should be ashamed that you put your paying customers through this saga. You used toxic substances on board and I believe put the health of your passengers at risk. Your staff had respirators, goggles and overalls while they were using these chemicals. Why would anyone accept your offer of a credit on another cruise in the next 11 months? A lot of us have to save for years to have a nice holiday and you have ruined it by trying to cut costs on your refurbishment. Why would you even think that we would trust you again with our hard-earned money? Your offer is unsatisfactory. Only a full cash refund with additional compensation for other costs incurred would be acceptable. It is shocking that on the penultimate day of the cruise you are finally cleaning up the ship and disposing of all evidence of toxic materials prior to the ship entering US waters. I’ve attached a photo of the chemicals used. We noticed that you disposed of the many empty containers in Encenata and have photographic evidence.

3AB3C2B1-9846-414D-B587-7413C5AAEFFF.jpeg.ec44d0a8f67476e4c05e6a603c2e5ee4.jpeg

Dear NCL. You have failed miserably if you actually tried to minimise the guest experience of passengers on this cruise of the Norwegian Sun. Your communication to passengers was woeful because there wasn’t any. You should be ashamed that you put your paying customers through this saga. You used toxic substances on board and I believe put the health of your passengers at risk. Your staff had respirators, goggles and overalls while they were using these chemicals. Why would anyone accept your offer of a credit on another cruise in the next 11 months? A lot of us have to save for years to have a nice holiday and you have ruined it by trying to cut costs on your refurbishment. Why would you even think that we would trust you again with our hard-earned money? Your offer is unsatisfactory. Only a full cash refund with additional compensation for other costs incurred would be acceptable. It is shocking that on the penultimate day of the cruise you are finally cleaning up the ship and disposing of all evidence of toxic materials prior to the ship entering US waters. I’ve attached a photo of the chemicals used. We noticed that you disposed of the many empty containers in Encenata and have photographic evidence.

I will not minimize your unhappiness with your cruise, and I'm upset that profit margins are getting so slim on ships that they need to do this work while in service, as the additional time out of service becomes financially burdensome. I also don't ever comment on compensation matters, as this is not my area of expertise, and I won't get into a debate about something I haven't experienced.

However, just because a can has a generic warning symbol on it, unless you can provide the MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheet) that lists the specific dangers the material provides, whether ingestion, inhalation, or skin contact with the uncured product, I'm afraid I don't hold much with your claim that this material (which I've been on ships where the Bolidt product was applied) is "toxic" in a general sense. And there is no problem with disposal of Bolidt products or empty cans in the US, they even have a US subsidiary, and shipyards in the US apply this product to cruise ships all the time. The reason that the ship disposed of the garbage before entering the US is that the US requires that all garbage landed from foreign ships, regardless of what that garbage is (dried Bolidt epoxy or simple paper waste) is treated as biohazard, since it has a foreign origin, and must be disposed of as such. Even US flag ships that come in from a voyage to a foreign country, have to declare their garbage as "foreign" and pay triple for disposal. I've dealt with the ship garbage problem in the US for my entire 42 years at sea, since I've worked primarily on US flag vessels.

At Norwegian Cruise Line, we continuously aim to offer the best vacation experience for all our guests. As part of our Norwegian Edge[emoji769] program, Norwegian Sun is currently undergoing enhancements to better serve our guests. The program is a significant investment designed to ensure every ship across the fleet delivers a consistently high-quality experience to all of our guests. While we do our utmost to minimize any impact on the guest experience when these enhancements are taking place, we recognize that in this situation our guests have experienced some inconvenience. As a gesture of our gratitude for our guests' patience and understanding, we will be extending a future cruise credit of 25% of their cruise fare paid, which can be applied towards another cruise of their choice from now through March 31, 2019.

Poor response, lack of sincerity, no explanation and poor compensation.

We are on the Star TA on Apr 22nd, please tell us we will not be sailing on a construction site?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Poor response, lack of sincerity, no explanation and poor compensation.

We are on the Star TA on Apr 22nd, please tell us we will not be sailing on a construction site?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the first cruise after the Dawn was refurbished in 2016 and had no issues. I hope you're as fortunate.................