WARNING regarding non-refundable deposits

Cruizen Susan

Do you think that's possible?

You have a choice when you book onboard. Usually there is OBC equal to the deposit. You can elect to take that OBC on the sailing you’re on...but...it becomes then non refundable. If you defer it to the sailing you booked, it’s refundable.

I'm not saying that we would do it, but I can think of two reasons: Because it's cheaper. Because we buy insurance.

Depends on your reason for cancelling. If health-based then you are probably covered. But if your granddaughter announces that she is getting married during your cruise dates you will not be covered for cancelling unless you purchased the more expensive cancel-for-any-reason insurance that still does not cover 100% of the cancellation.

I just booked our next year's cruise on board the Eclipse and asked 3x if our $100 pp deposit was refundable and was assured that it is indeed fully refundable OR transferable to another cruise. Could the class of cabin or passenger status be involved?

The "guest booking form" that you receive on board (I can't remember the exact name) has changed from what it used to be like and has a few extra pages of fine print. The future Cruise agent told me that if the deposit is non-refundable, it is clearly stated on that document.

I don't think so. The difference in price is a wash. ($200 increase for refundable).

I believe that the issue with non-refundable deposit is more than just losing the $200 deposit. EACH change to the reservation is $100 per person. That can add up over time.

You have a choice when you book onboard. Usually there is OBC equal to the deposit. You can elect to take that OBC on the sailing you’re on...but...it becomes then non refundable. If you defer it to the sailing you booked, it’s refundable.

Yes, I think I do recollect the option of using the OBC immediately several times and always opted to not use it on the current sailing... and use the OBC for the future sailing... ??

bon voyage

The "guest booking form" that you receive on board (I can't remember the exact name) has changed from what it used to be like and has a few extra pages of fine print. The future Cruise agent told me that if the deposit is non-refundable, it is clearly stated on that document.

I believe that the issue with non-refundable deposit is more than just losing the $200 deposit. EACH change to the reservation is $100 per person. That can add up over time.

I wonder if one were to move their sailing, can it be from a non-refundable to a refundable deposit fare?

bon voyage

This was our experience. Btw, we cancelled the booking and the monies were returned to our credit card.

There are many nice' date=' helpful people in this cruisecritic world. And then this is the rude "rest of the world" ;)[/quote']Merely pointing out that this is the norm in the rest of the world, and has been for many many years...

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Merely pointing out that this is the norm in the rest of the world, and has been for many many years...

I was thinking the exact same thing. We manage.

Maybe we (the rest of the world) could be given the option of paying more for a refundable deposit.

But I get that the main gripe in this thread is that it is not being explained when booking on board and agree it should be fully disclosed.

I'm not saying that we would do it, but I can think of two reasons: Because it's cheaper. Because we buy insurance.

If you buy the X Cruise Care trip insurance, you don't actually purchase it until final payment.

I don't object to the cancellation fee, as long as you are informed of the options. It prevents people from booking multiple cruises that they don't intend to take.

Maybe some of you know' date=' but I just found this out. Most of our cruises are booked well ahead of time, while we are on the ship. It has always worked out well. Well recently, our cruise friends booked a sailing while they were cruising, for themselves and for us.

Yesterday, I had to contact the TA to cancel that booking, and re-book another sailing. The TA got back to me, stating the booking was non-refundable if cancelled, and even if just changed to another Celebrity ship or date, would be charged $100 per person (which is the same difference--$200!!!)

I let my friend know, and she was not informed that there were two options, one refundable and one not.

This is a first for us with Celebrity, and needless to say, I am not happy, flushing $200 down the toilet. Please be careful when booking, confirm your request, ask questions, and read the fine print!

Just a heads up to be cautious.....[/quote']

Are you sure that your TA is not charging you to cancel? I have a "big box" TA that charges a cancellation fee (see below wording). I've had to cancel one cruise but they waved the fee because I booked another cruise - right away - with them.

Guests are responsible for any/all cancellation fees that might be imposed by the cruise line in addition to an independent $100.00 per person cancellation fee from ......

Cruise lines are becoming more like airlines everyday. The non-refundable, non-transferable deposit is just the first step. Before you know it, they'll charge for every piece of luggage you bring on board. But when they stop serving food, I'm out!

LOL :')

Are you sure that your TA is not charging you to cancel? I have a "big box" TA that charges a cancellation fee (see below wording). I've had to cancel one cruise but they waved the fee because I booked another cruise - right away - with them

LOL :')

No not the case. My TA does not charge a cancellation fee.

Within the last week or so, the cruises I've been researching for Jan-Mar 2019 have only RISK FREE REFUNDABLE DEPOSITS. If I leave a 'booking', a gold or white exit screen pops up warning me that I haven't completed my booking and asking if I'm sure I want to leave. A box in this pop up says "RISK FREE REFUNDABLE DEPOSITS, don't let this ship sail without you."

Summer 2019 cruises, specifically Bermuda, still have the two choices between refundable and non-refundable deposit fares. It seems as if it's a 12 month window; if you book within the 12-month window, you'll have the risk free refundable deposit. Otherwise, you'll have to pick one or the other. At least that's what it looks like with all the research I've been doing lately.

On the other side of the fence in RCCL land, one can't book a Grand Suite unless you want to pay the non-refundable deposit fare. And that includes cruises this summer as well as January/February 2019, etc.

Just seems odd to me that sister cruise lines have completely different practices on when the refundable is the only fare - Celebrity - 12 month window, RCCL - never.

On the other side of the fence in RCCL land, one can't book a Grand Suite unless you want to pay the non-refundable deposit fare.

Oh gosh! I hope Celebrity doesn't start forcing some of the deposits to be non-refundable based on stateroom type!

A long expected result of "ship jumpers" and "cabin jumpers" who make reservations years out with no intention of keeping the booked cruise. It costs the companies to do that. Maybe more importantly, it costs fellow passengers the ability to select from available cabins. Good to see the added cost for those who do this.

A long expected result of "ship jumpers" and "cabin jumpers" who make reservations years out with no intention of keeping the booked cruise. It costs the companies to do that. Maybe more importantly, it costs fellow passengers the ability to select from available cabins. Good to see the added cost for those who do this.
Was thinking exactly the same. As were from the UK and have always had non-refundable deposits, we've never been able to book up multiple cruises then cancel o es we don't want just before finally payment. Maybe the ramifications of this practice are now coming home to roost.

Future cruises and X customer svc reps encourage this. Don't cancel. Rebook later. You have until just before final payment is due, they told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It absolutely boggles my mind that anyone would book anything travel-related, nowadays, without knowing something as fundamental as refundability. Cruises, airfare, hotels, excursions, ANYTHING.

My TA always gives me the refundable option. And in the past, I have always asked for refundable. On this particular booking, X pulled a fast one and nothing was explained.

My TA always gives me the refundable option. And in the past' date=' I have always asked for refundable. On this particular booking, X pulled a fast one and nothing was explained.[/quote']I believe the "non-refundable" deposit just started not too long ago on celebrity... Perhaps their 'default' onboard was the non-refundable deposit, which is cheaper,... And as such poorly explained?

I booked a future cruise on board, and specifically asked the future sales agent," where does it say my deposit is refundable?"

He said 'don't worry, if it was non-refundable it would be clearly stated.

(I thought to myself that's pretty silly and confusing).

I think the phrase "refundable deposit" or "non-refundable deposit" should be clearly indicated in bold near the top of the booking, or at least on the line item that lists the deposit paid.

My TA always gives me the refundable option. And in the past' date=' I have always asked for refundable. On this particular booking, X pulled a fast one and nothing was explained.[/quote']

Unless you asked for a refundable rate and were given a non-refundable rate there was no scam or deception. It is up to you to know what you are buying. You can either learn that lesson or it will happen again. Ask specifically - take nothing for granted. Take responsibility.