Celebrity MoveUp

CruisingChick

Not sure they are trying to do market research for charging more. I’m from the US and always book on board. I watch price drops to get my fare reduced. I’ve bid and won a suite. It then gives them the ability to sell my cabin for more I paid for it to someone else. I ended up in a suite for basically the cost of a Sunset Veranda. I think there quite a few of last minute cancellations which is why some people learn a day or two prior to sailing they won. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, korryp said:

Not sure they are trying to do market research for charging more. I’m from the US and always book on board. I watch price drops to get my fare reduced. I’ve bid and won a suite. It then gives them the ability to sell my cabin for more I paid for it to someone else. I ended up in a suite for basically the cost of a Sunset Veranda. I think there quite a few of last minute cancellations which is why some people learn a day or two prior to sailing they won. 

I agree with you about the last-minute cancellation theory. We sail tomorrow, but narrowly avoided having to cancel 3-4 days ago due to a family medical situation. Thankfully, the matter resolved itself to the point we didn’t have to cancel, but it doesn’t always turn out that way. Had we cancelled, an open Celebrity Suite would have become available at the last minute.

And for that reason, I don’t think people should get too wrapped up (or confused) when Celebrity accepts bids for categories that appear sold out at the time of bidding. They want someone waiting in the wings, who’s given Celebrity approval to charge their credit card for a specific amount, if/when those last-minute cancellations come in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bboop51 said:

I am totally confused. We received our second move up offer. We are AQ2.  (May 5th on the Summit.)  We love our cabin but decided we'd take a shot on a Sky Suite. BUT, when checking it does not appear any are available. Do they send out the offer with the "expectation" that someone may bail at the last minute ?  We won't be the least bit disappointed to stay where we are but I'm just curious.

See the 2nd paragraph of my post #402. 

55 minutes ago, BEAV said:

I agree with you about the last-minute cancellation theory. We sail tomorrow, but narrowly avoided having to cancel 3-4 days ago due to a family medical situation. Thankfully, the matter resolved itself to the point we didn’t have to cancel, but it doesn’t always turn out that way. Had we cancelled, an open Celebrity Suite would have become available at the last minute.

And for that reason, I don’t think people should get too wrapped up (or confused) when Celebrity accepts bids for categories that appear sold out at the time of bidding. They want someone waiting in the wings, who’s given Celebrity approval to charge their credit card for a specific amount, if/when those last-minute cancellations come in. 

I think that is exactly right.  The Move Up program is very clever because, if everything works out perfectly, when a cabin has to be cancelled in the last month before the cruise, a series of moves up has the effect of pushing the empty cabin down to a very low level.  If somebody cancels a Royal Suite at the last minute, instead of having an empty Royal Suite, a series of moves up might leave them with only an inside cabin left empty.  And every move up earns them some extra revenue.  It is really brilliant.

Tom & Judy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TFree said:

I think that is exactly right.  The Move Up program is very clever because, if everything works out perfectly, when a cabin has to be cancelled in the last month before the cruise, a series of moves up has the effect of pushing the empty cabin down to a very low level.  If somebody cancels a Royal Suite at the last minute, instead of having an empty Royal Suite, a series of moves up might leave them with only an inside cabin left empty.  And every move up earns them some extra revenue.  It is really brilliant.

Tom & Judy

Clever yes, but not as nice as the upgrade fairy...I used to love posts where someone had been given a nice unexpected surprise. She never visited us but it was nice to enjoy the good fortune of others.

• Like 2

Or the days when somebody won a vacant suite in bingo!  Imagine the revenue Celebrity pulled in for the hundreds of bingo tickets purchased for their big chance!

We were in S1 6145 on Summit for a 2008 Transatlantic when neighboring vacant PH 6147 was awarded to the lucky bingo winner! 

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

Clever yes, but not as nice as the upgrade fairy...I used to love posts where someone had been given a nice unexpected surprise. She never visited us but it was nice to enjoy the good fortune of others.

When I read this I thought "what a lovely post." The I looked at who posted it and smiled. The lady with the "posh frock"!

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for responding.  I guess it did not occur to me that people cancel at the last minute. Although, I of all people should, since I take "any reason to cancel" insurance for just that kind of "last minute" situation/ emergency.  Like I said, if we get it (doubtful) I be delighted to get a bathtub and the other fancy schmancy stuff. If not I'll be excited to try the new salt room in the Persian Gardens and continue to eat in Blu.  So whatever happens it's win win for us.

2 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

When I read this I thought "what a lovely post." The I looked at who posted it and smiled. The lady with the "posh frock"!

How lovely of you to remember me and my posh frock!

The posh frock is hung up in the wardrobe and awaiting its next cruise in September on the Equinox. Having dined with the Captain last cruise it has got some delusions of grandeur! We are flying in 8 days early this time (visiting Orlando first) and direct so hopefully no last minute flight worries and missing bag dramas this time!!!

When we did have our problems last year the replies showed ‘the best’ of Cruise Critic....So many posters (including yourself) offering both practical advice and good wishes. I think my post re the missing upgrade fairy was simply a reflection of how nice it is to share ‘good outcome’ stories....

OP sincere apologies for deviating from your post...

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/20/2019 at 8:18 AM, hvbaskey said:

Tweaked the “order” of the columns (left to right) - questionnaire updated April 20, 2019
Note:  I have put in a date calculator formula for # of days when offer is received prior to sail date, and # of dates of bid notification (accepted/rejected) prior to cruise.  These dates are automatically calculated by the spreadsheet and do not need to be mentioned below 🙂

CELEBRITY MOVE UP TRACKER (effective April 19, 2019; but can back-fill data, if available)

• Ship:  
  • Length of Cruise:
  • Cruise Sail Date:
  • Date email offer received:
  • Captain’s Club Tier [“PREVIEW” = first Celebrity Cruise]: 
  • Booked through Celebrity Direct OR via TA: 
  • Current Cabin:
  • Bid?  Yes/No:

If YES -  Bidding Details:

• Cabin Category: place winning category, if accepted (all category offers, can be mentioned in comments)
  • Bid Offer:
  • Notification Date:
  • Accepted / Rejected

General Comments (offer details, etc.)

Just a reminder about the Move Up tracker.  It is very helpful to others.  Thank you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Just a reminder about the Move Up tracker.  It is very helpful to others.  Thank you.

Tracker has its own thread now (to filter out the questions/comments) = dedicated thread 🙂

We  have  just received our 2nd email  offering move up for our cruise on Constellation.

• Ship:      Constellation
  • Length of Cruise:     10 days
  • Cruise Sail Date:     21May 2019
  • Date email offer received: 17th April and 26th April 2019
  • Captain’s Club Tier     Elite plus
  • Booked through Celebrity Direct OR via TA:  Direct 
  • Current Cabin:   Concierge Class
  • Bid?  Yes/No:            No. we didn't bid as we are happy with our chosen cabin.

If YES -  Bidding Details:

• Cabin Category : Royal Suite $1800pp.    Celebrity Suite  $1300pp.  Sky Suite $1000pp.  AQ $150pp
  • Bid Offer:
  • Notification Date:
  • Accepted / Rejected

hvbasky, not sure how to format on the original thread, so will post details here and perhaps you can move over.

Ship:  Summit

Received offer 51 days prior to cruise.  Cruise sail date June 16, 2019.  I booked directly and am Elite.  I am currently booked in OV.  It is a 11 night cruise.  Bid offers are 

Veranda - $100-300

FV - $150-500

CC - $200-600

AQ - $300-700

Day of offer(yesterday) I originally bid $145pp for veranda.  This morning I CANCELLED the bid.  This cruise has a lot of availability.  Prices on a comparable sailing plunged yesterday 30 days before sailing.  I am betting that I will be able to upgrade later to a veranda for nothing or less than the $145pp.  I know it is a gamble, but, my gut is telling me to wait.  We'll see.

Edited by FlorenceItaly

12 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

hvbasky, not sure how to format on the original thread, so will post details here and perhaps you can move over.

Ship:  Summit

Received offer 51 days prior to cruise.  Cruise sail date June 16, 2019.  I booked directly and am Elite.  I am currently booked in OV.  It is a 11 night cruise.  Bid offers are 

Veranda - $100-300

FV - $150-500

CC - $200-600

AQ - $300-700

Day of offer(yesterday) I originally bid $145pp for veranda.  This morning I CANCELLED the bid.  This cruise has a lot of availability.  Prices on a comparable sailing plunged yesterday 30 days before sailing.  I am betting that I will be able to upgrade later to a veranda for nothing or less than the $145pp.  I know it is a gamble, but, my gut is telling me to wait.  We'll see.

Took a snapshot and plunked it in this thread 🙂  I am not tracking anything from here anymore, as there is too much noise (comments/questions, etc)

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:42 PM, dustball said:

Interesting! I am on the June 27 Summit and just received a move up email.

Minimum Bids Sky $500 pp, Celebrity Suite $700 pp and Royal Suite $1000 PP. The Royal Suite clearly says that the 4 perks are included but the other 2 don't:

Royal Suite

With spaces fit for a king or queen, our Royal Suites deliver on style and comfort. Separate living, dining, and sleeping areas provide all the room you need to relax in modern luxury.

• Spacious living and dining area
  • Separate bedroom with a queen size bed and walk in closet
  • Master bathroom with double vanity and whirlpool jet tub
  • Private, spacious veranda with whirlpool tub
  • Premium "All-In" Benefits, including complimentary Premium Beverage package, unlimited complimentary specialty dining, and unlimited internet access.
  • Access to private restaurant, Luminae, and exclusive lounge
  • Personal butler throughout your cruise
  • All other suite class services and amenities
  • Size: 538 sq. ft. plus 195 sq. ft. veranda
  • Sleeps up to 4

What class of room are you booked in now?

OK, question for the participants in this thread.  Have any of you been booked on a cruise with the Big Box store as your TA, and yet still able to bid under the move up program?  We are booked on the Celebrity Reflection Norwegian Fjords cruise on May 26.  That is now less than 30 days away.  And yet when I go to the Move Up page, I still get the same message as I got outside of 30 days:

Please ensure your sailing is within the next 30 days
Please ensure there are no errors in the information you entered
Email CelebrityMoveUp@celebrity.com for help with eligibility

I did not get an email invitation to bid, but I assumed that is because the Big Box store supposedly does not participate in the program (whatever that means).  But I assumed that I could still participate, by going to the Move Up page myself.  I am just trying to figure out if others booked with the Big Box store have been able to participate.

Tom & Judy

33 minutes ago, TFree said:

OK, question for the participants in this thread.  Have any of you been booked on a cruise with the Big Box store as your TA, and yet still able to bid under the move up program?  We are booked on the Celebrity Reflection Norwegian Fjords cruise on May 26.  That is now less than 30 days away.  And yet when I go to the Move Up page, I still get the same message as I got outside of 30 days:

I did not get an email invitation to bid, but I assumed that is because the Big Box store supposedly does not participate in the program (whatever that means).  But I assumed that I could still participate, by going to the Move Up page myself.  I am just trying to figure out if others booked with the Big Box store have been able to participate.

Tom & Judy

Try these 2 things. 

1. Clear your cookies and cache

2. Open an Incognito or InPrivate window on your browser and go to the celebrity web page and access the Move Up option in the menu on the left side of your screen without logging in. Then enter your reservation number,  name, ship and sail date. 

48 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Try these 2 things. 

1. Clear your cookies and cache

2. Open an Incognito or InPrivate window on your browser and go to the celebrity web page and access the Move Up option in the menu on the left side of your screen without logging in. Then enter your reservation number,  name, ship and sail date. 

Thanks, Luvcrusn.  I tried that, and it still does not work for me.  So maybe participation by clients of the Big Box is really disabled.  I have sent an email to the move up program, we will see if they respond.

Tom & Judy

If I  have paid for upgrade to premium drink pkg and my move up bid from Aqua to Suite is accepted, do I lose what I  paid to upgrade drinks?  I  am assuming that premium package is an auto perk for suites.

Thanks and if this has been fully answered already thanks for your patience.

Edited by Briggs99

1 hour ago, Briggs99 said:

If I  have paid for upgrade to premium drink pkg and my move up bid from Aqua to Suite is accepted, do I lose what I  paid to upgrade drinks?  I  am assuming that premium package is an auto perk for suites.

Thanks and if this has been fully answered already thanks for your patience.

I was led to believe the four suite perks are not given with the move-up. Only the suite itself (and whatever perk you already have.)  That makes this more interesting since we have paid for the premium beverage upgrade and the internet.  I guess I may be incorrect.

9 hours ago, bboop51 said:

I was led to believe the four suite perks are not given with the move-up. Only the suite itself (and whatever perk you already have.)  That makes this more interesting since we have paid for the premium beverage upgrade and the internet.  I guess I may be incorrect. 

I might be wrong, but I think what is not given with the move up are any additional "promotions" which currently would be a beverage package, unlimited internet, $300 OBC and paid gratuities.

Not all suites include a beverage package and\or unlimited internet, but for example the royal suite does.  If you move up to a suite that includes these as part of it's amenities you would be refunded for your beverage package upgrade and internet package that you had previously purchased.  If you upgrade to a suite that does not include them in it's amenities, but they were purchased or included as a promotion with your previous cabin you would take them with you.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:47 AM, TFree said:

Tom & Judy

It may be that there are no offers available for your cabin category. It is not guaranteed available to all passengers.

On 4/27/2019 at 7:47 AM, TFree said:

Tom & Judy

I have my answer.  I got this email response from Celebrity Move Up today:

Hello Mr. ____,

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately [the big box store] has completely opted out of this upgrade program, which means any bookings made through [the big box store] are also ineligible. For any further questions on this or any other upgrades, please reach out to [big box store] directly.

Kind Regards,

Lydia Rodriguez

Celebrity MoveUp Team

This is irritating.  I will have to complain to the big box store and hope they someday change policy on this.  Or just stop using them.

Tom & Judy