Celebrity MoveUp

CruisingChick

Tweaked the “order” of the columns (left to right) - questionnaire updated April 20, 2019
Note:  I have put in a date calculator formula for # of days when offer is received prior to sail date, and # of dates of bid notification (accepted/rejected) prior to cruise.  These dates are automatically calculated by the spreadsheet and do not need to be mentioned below 🙂

CELEBRITY MOVE UP TRACKER (effective April 19, 2019; but can back-fill data, if available)

• Ship:  
  • Length of Cruise:
  • Cruise Sail Date:
  • Date email offer received:
  • Captain’s Club Tier [“PREVIEW” = first Celebrity Cruise]: 
  • Booked through Celebrity Direct OR via TA: 
  • Current Cabin:
  • Bid?  Yes/No:

If YES -  Bidding Details:

• Cabin Category: place winning category, if accepted (all category offers, can be mentioned in comments)
  • Bid Offer:
  • Notification Date:
  • Accepted / Rejected

General Comments (offer details, etc.)

Edited by hvbaskey

We have just had our bid for a Family Verandah on Silhouette 27th April sailing accepted. I think we probably paid way too much but we really wanted this cabin and in the past have paid considerably more for a FV.

• Ship:     Silhouette
  • Length of Cruise:     7 days
  • Cruise Sail Date:     27th April
  • Date email offer received:        18th April 
  • Captain’s Club Tier    Elite Plus
  • Booked through Celebrity Direct OR via TA:  Direct 
  • Current Cabin: 7296
  • Bid?  Yes/No: yes

• Cabin Category: FV.. Family Verandah
  • Bid Offer:     $555 pp total $1110
  • Notification Date:       23rd April
  • Accepted / Rejected. Accepted

31 minutes ago, dollydosh said:

We have just had our bid for a Family Verandah on Silhouette 27th April sailing accepted. I think we probably paid way too much but we really wanted this cabin and in the past have paid considerably more for a FV.

• Length of Cruise:     7 days
  • Cruise Sail Date:     27th April
  • Date email offer received:        18th April 
  • Captain’s Club Tier    Elite Plus
  • Booked through Celebrity Direct OR via TA:  Direct 
  • Current Cabin: 7296
  • Bid?  Yes/No: yes

• Cabin Category: FV.. Family Verandah
  • Bid Offer:     $555 pp total $1110
  • Notification Date:       23rd April
  • Accepted / Rejected. Accepted

INTERESTING as I also bid on a family veranda (at the same time that I bid on the Aqua cabin) for the exact same cruise. I received the offer to bid on April 11 and the minimum bid was $100/person.  I bid $150 per person. The FV looks huge and I would have been delighted to win that but I am also delighted with the win on Aqua. It looks like you got the offer to bid on the day they accepted my bid on the A2.

Edited by linderr6

41 minutes ago, dollydosh said:

The starting bid was $150 pp

Sorry, i've just double checked and the starting bid was $100pp. We took the scale on the  Bid meter to FAIR.

Other options were Royal suite starting at $2500 pp

Celebrity suite $1500 pp

Sky suite           $1000 pp

Aqua Class      $150 pp

Concierge.       $100 pp

FV.                     $100

1 hour ago, dollydosh said:

Sorry, i've just double checked and the starting bid was $100pp. We took the scale on the  Bid meter to FAIR.

Celebrity suite $1500 pp

Aqua Class      $150 pp

Concierge.       $100 pp

Thank you. Ours started at $20 for the FV on the 3 night cruise, just wanted to see if it was proportionate 👍.

2 hours ago, dollydosh said:

Celebrity suite $1500 pp

Aqua Class      $150 pp

Concierge.       $100 pp

Thank you Dolly for sharing - all information has been entered into the CELEBRITY MOVE UP TRACKER 

• Like 1

• Length of Cruise:     3 days
  • Cruise Sail Date:     4th May
  • Date email offer received:        11th April & reminder 18th April
  • Captain’s Club Tier    Classic
  • Booked through Celebrity Direct OR via TA:  TA
  • Current Cabin: 1676 CC SUNSET VIEW VERANDA
  • Bid?  Yes/No: NO - COULD BID FOR AQUA CLASS, THEN SKY, CELEBRITY & ROYAL SUITES
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kikki21 said:
  • Length of Cruise:     3 days
  • Cruise Sail Date:     4th May
  • Date email offer received:        11th April & reminder 18th April
  • Captain’s Club Tier    Classic
  • Booked through Celebrity Direct OR via TA:  TA
  • Current Cabin: 1676 CC SUNSET VIEW VERANDA
  • Bid?  Yes/No: NO - COULD BID FOR AQUA CLASS, THEN SKY, CELEBRITY & ROYAL SUITES

Thank you @kikki21 for sharing - information has been entered into the CELEBRITY MOVE UP TRACKER 

• Ship:  Eclipse
  • Cruise Sail Date: May 9, 2019
  • Length of Cruise: 10 DAY
  • Date email offer received: April 24
  • Captain’s Club Tier: PREVIEW
  • Booked through Celebrity Direct OR via TA: TA
  • Current Cabin: AQUA CLASS 1552
  • Bid?  Yes/No: NO

COMMENTS:

Sky Suite, from $500pp, Celebrity Suite, from $700pp, Royal Suite, from $900pp

11 minutes ago, cattman said:
  • Ship:  Eclipse
  • Cruise Sail Date: May 9, 2019
  • Length of Cruise: 10 DAY
  • Date email offer received: April 24
  • Captain’s Club Tier: PREVIEW
  • Booked through Celebrity Direct OR via TA: TA
  • Current Cabin: AQUA CLASS 1552
  • Bid?  Yes/No: NO

COMMENTS:

Sky Suite, from $500pp, Celebrity Suite, from $700pp, Royal Suite, from $900pp

Thank you @cattman for sharing - information has been entered into the CELEBRITY MOVE UP TRACKER 

The whole bidding concept is too confusing.   Wondering if there are guests who have not received the email outlining the bidding process.  On my last 2 Celebrity cruises, I got the email explaining the process. Chose not to bid because my cabin was in a good location. Also, my TA told me to expect the bidding option.  I figured that everyone booked was sent the bidding email.  That may not be true.  Azamara just started the similar upgrade bidding process.  I read about it on Cruise Critic. I booked this cruise a year ago.  Never got the email.  There are people on my roll call that got the email to bid 3 weeks ago.  Contacted my TA who asked Azamara and was told nobody gets the bidding email until 60 days before embarkation.  That is not true.  There was also some people in UK that were told that their TA opted not to participate in the bidding process.  That really sounds odd since the TA would make some more commission. So I was wondering if the upgrade bidding is only offered to a select group on Celebrity. 

The info says bids are sent to select set of reservations but doesn't qualify beyond that.  You do have to be registered for marketing emails with Celebrity so that probably excludes quite a few people.  My first cruise after the bidding process was introduced I did not get an invitation to bid but the last 2 I have.  Booked with the same TA for 2 and direct with Celebrity for the last one.  I have read that there is a big box TA in North America that does not participate.  Since these transactions are done strictly between the customer and the bidding company on Celebrities behalf I wonder if there is any impact on commissions paid.  I sort of doubt it.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

The whole bidding concept is too confusing.   Wondering if there are guests who have not received the email outlining the bidding process.  On my last 2 Celebrity cruises, I got the email explaining the process. Chose not to bid because my cabin was in a good location. Also, my TA told me to expect the bidding option.  I figured that everyone booked was sent the bidding email.  That may not be true.  Azamara just started the similar upgrade bidding process.  I read about it on Cruise Critic. I booked this cruise a year ago.  Never got the email.  There are people on my roll call that got the email to bid 3 weeks ago.  Contacted my TA who asked Azamara and was told nobody gets the bidding email until 60 days before embarkation.  That is not true.  There was also some people in UK that were told that their TA opted not to participate in the bidding process.  That really sounds odd since the TA would make some more commission. So I was wondering if the upgrade bidding is only offered to a select group on Celebrity. 

My TA does not get a cut...interesting; however, not unusual to have many differing types of information on Celebrity...

25 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

Its just another way for them to get people to part with their hard earned £££ or $$$.

Shiny trinkets or jedi mind tricks won't work with me.

If they want to upgrade me, they can do it at their cost.

While I agree with you, I have no problem with paying a little extra for an upgrade, especially if it is a relative bargain compared to the price of the upgrade category at booking. We booked an AQ at a really good price... so if we had any chance of getting the RS for the quoted "starting" price of $900pp for a ten day cruise it would still be a bargain(We have no perks, so the inclusion of the drink package makes the price that much more reasonable) - but only if our minimum offer is accepted. While the chances of that happening are slim to none, what the heck, I may bite. That way, if it happens, great., we sail in a RS at a bargain price. If not, no biggie. We are happy with our AQ.

There is no way Celebrity is going to offer a complimentary upgrade from an AQ to a RS.

Edited by cattman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

You don't have to receive the email to bid. You can access Move Up in the menu on the left side, enter your info and bid.

I get the idea that they want to fill rooms and they are a business out to make money but doesn't bidding give the advantage to those who can out bid everyone else?  If it was more of a lottery where there was one reasonable fixed price, regardless of the room, wouldn't more people enter it?  You get picked and you are offered that room

Dear All

I’ve moved the Tracker to here:

I have a note to redirect any comments/questions about the program to this thread.

I will place a footnote in the Tracker for the original information of where it was retrieved from (this thread) and then carry on compiling info from the new, dedicated tracker thread.

19 hours ago, Fixit2010 said:

I get the idea that they want to fill rooms and they are a business out to make money but doesn't bidding give the advantage to those who can out bid everyone else?  If it was more of a lottery where there was one reasonable fixed price, regardless of the room, wouldn't more people enter it?  You get picked and you are offered that room

I like the Holland America approach - a reasonable upgrade price, offered either through TAs or email, first come first served.

Ship:  Celebrity Eclipse
Sail Date: May 9, 2019
Length of Cruise: 10 days
Date email offer received: April 6, 2019
Current Cabin: Inside Category 10
Bid?  Yes/No: yes
If YES:
Cabin Category: Balcony - Received 1C
Bid Offer: $200pp but we bid $225pp
Notification Date: April 24, 2019
Accepted / Rejected: Accepted
Comments: We are very happy with our results and having a balcony for our Alaska cruise.  
Captain’s Club Tier: Elite
Booked via Celebrity of TA: TA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am totally confused. We received our second move up offer. We are AQ2.  (May 5th on the Summit.)  We love our cabin but decided we'd take a shot on a Sky Suite. BUT, when checking it does not appear any are available. Do they send out the offer with the "expectation" that someone may bail at the last minute ?  We won't be the least bit disappointed to stay where we are but I'm just curious.

1 hour ago, bboop51 said:

I am totally confused. We received our second move up offer. We are AQ2.  (May 5th on the Summit.)  We love our cabin but decided we'd take a shot on a Sky Suite. BUT, when checking it does not appear any are available. Do they send out the offer with the "expectation" that someone may bail at the last minute ?  We won't be the least bit disappointed to stay where we are but I'm just curious.

I didn't want to believe it but after bidding a few times , I think they are doing market research on how much they can charge and what the market will pay.

I bid on  upper suites from a Sky Suite and then the prices on suites got lower and all the suites got taken. With perks and kids sail free or 3rd and 4th half off.

It would be nice to bid an upgrade for at least a little less, but with suites, there is always someone else that will pay full price.

I will never bid on a suite again.

• Like 1