Celebrity MoveUp

CruisingChick

I really question the "Move Up" program as a business strategy for cruise lines. It may increase the bottom line, but runs the risk of making passengers frustrated and angry. A few might actually "win" an upgrade, but many more will have their bids rejected, even what they consider strong bids, and become sour on the whole process. If I were a betting man I'd bet that the "Move Up program will become a thing of the past very quickly.

I really question the "Move Up" program as a business strategy for cruise lines. It may increase the bottom line, but runs the risk of making passengers frustrated and angry. A few might actually "win" an upgrade, but many more will have their bids rejected, even what they consider strong bids, and become sour on the whole process. If I were a betting man I'd bet that the "Move Up program will become a thing of the past very quickly.

Why would people be upset? If they really want to upgrade then they can pay the full price and upgrade. This is just an opportunity to potentially get the upgrade at a discounted price. Anyone who pins their hopes on getting the upgrade and gets mad when their bid is not accepted is a bit deluded. You go into it knowing that it’s only a possibility you might get the upgrade so the expectations are very clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the frustration is not knowing how many cabins are available or even if any are available. As those above have posted, it makes you wonder if they are just holding all of these bids in the event a cabin opens up at the last minute. IOW, there isn't actually any inventory at the time the offers go out. The timing of letting people know (2 days before sailing) strongly supports this view.

The way to improve this is transparency. The email soliciting bids should indicate the number of cabins available for in each category and then, when the winning bids are chosen, those who bid should be notified what the winning bid was.

Now, we all know why they won't do that . . . :rolleyes:

As an aside, if I were to receive such an email, I would call X and inquire as to how many cabins were available in the category for which I wanted to bid and at what price. If they said zero, I would then ask how they can take bids for cabins that aren't available. And see how that conversation went . . .

Why would people be upset? If they really want to upgrade then they can pay the full price and upgrade. This is just an opportunity to potentially get the upgrade at a discounted price. Anyone who pins their hopes on getting the upgrade and gets mad when their bid is not accepted is a bit deluded. You go into it knowing that it’s only a possibility you might get the upgrade so the expectations are very clear.

Exactly. We are perfectly happy with our Celebrity Suite with a larger balcony. Would a RS or PH be nice? Yes, but only at a reduced cost or else we would have paid full price already. In the end, if we are rejected, no loss. We’re happy with our current cabin and cruising in a few days. No grudges or anger.

Leaving Saturday on Equinox. I had “strong bids” according to the website. We are booked in a sky suite. I put bids on for celebrity, Royal, and penthouse. All denied. Oh well. :confused:

We were denied too. Oh well. We’re still cruising. We are in a Celebrity Suite. Placed bids on a Royal and Penthouse. See you Saturday in Michaels and Luminae.

I think the frustration is not knowing how many cabins are available or even if any are available. As those above have posted, it makes you wonder if they are just holding all of these bids in the event a cabin opens up at the last minute. IOW, there isn't actually any inventory at the time the offers go out. The timing of letting people know (2 days before sailing) strongly supports this view.

The way to improve this is transparency. The email soliciting bids should indicate the number of cabins available for in each category and then, when the winning bids are chosen, those who bid should be notified what the winning bid was.

As an aside, if I were to receive such an email, I would call X and inquire as to how many cabins were available in the category for which I wanted to bid and at what price. If they said zero, I would then ask how they can take bids for cabins that aren't available. And see how that conversation went . . .

What does it matter? So what if they put that out there if there are or are not cabins. Again, it is made clear that the upgrade is not a guarantee. It’s smart inventory management on their part and a great opportunity for customers to get a shot at a potential upgrade to a cabin they might otherwise not be able to afford. If you don’t like it then don’t make a bid if offered one. Simple as that.

We were denied too. Oh well. We’re still cruising. We are in a Celebrity Suite. Placed bids on a Royal and Penthouse. See you Saturday in Michaels and Luminae.

Maybe since you are already in a suite, like they didn't get a decent bid for your cabin so it didn't make sense to upgrade you to the larger one. OR..someone else bid higher (more likely).

Don't expect them to even think twice. X, and many others, routinely offer cruises for sale while they are simultaneously negotiating to charter the ship. We've been booted off twice with confirmed reservations, deposit paid but X got a better offer. For our trouble they give us a small OBC to rebook.

Last minute upgrades were always more of a Royal C concept than on X.

On one Royal cruise that we took, many of the cruisers had cruised together before and formed a cruise group. Our roll call was consumed by these mostly Diamond members swapping upgrade stories, wondering if the call would come. It was all rather boring... the pre cruise dinner was more of the same...one of them got the call right at dinner so that was the dinner topic...

So now Celebrity has the bidding ....hope those who enjoy it find it useful but we will stick with whatever we booked.

To be clear, I'm rather indifferent about MoveUp, since we have always booked the cabin we want -- thus I can't personally imagine bidding. However, there's a part of me that doesn't like X offering a deal on a cabin that potentially doesn't exist. If they are soliciting bids in the event of a last-minute cancellation, they should say that. In that way, folks will know that even a very strong bid may be fruitless b/c no cabin ever became available.

Celebrity also provides no information on how they decide between two equal bids if one cabin is available. That allows them to game the system and that irks my sense of fairness.

I fully agree that those who want to bid can do so with full knowledge (or lack thereof) of the process. But something about this process just rubs me the wrong way. That's all.

I too had an opportunity at some point to upgrade on either the Eastern or Western Mediterranean run on the Reflection. The minimum bid price was well above what I'd be willing to pay to upgrade, let alone try to win in an auction. I dismissed the "opportunity" pretty quickly.

Maybe since you are already in a suite, like they didn't get a decent bid for your cabin so it didn't make sense to upgrade you to the larger one. OR..someone else bid higher (more likely).

Or they just didn't have availability.

They're not going to reserve cabins just for people to bid. And offering to bid isn't a guarantee that a cabin will be offered. It's just a case of

- if you're interested, how much are you willing to pay, AND

- if a cabin is available

maybe a deal can be done.

If someone desperately wants to upgrade they can go the more certain ways.

I was one that took the bait. We sail June 16th on the Equinox and got the email yesterday. I actually laughed and said sure I will take a PH for $1400. We are celebrating our 40th anniversary by renewing our vows and this our lifetime big deal of a super splurge by getting the Royal Suite. Our first Celebrity cruise and I am pretty certain we won't get it for the minimum bid.

Hello!

We are celebrating our 40th as well. Where are you renewing your vows? This is our first Celebrity Cruise as well so trying to read up on everything quickly since we also just booked this past Thursday.

CONGRATS!

Beverly and Steve

• 1 month later...

Here is a strange one...we sail on the Eq in 3 days. I received a move up offer today. We are in a Celebrity Suite, the offer came to upgrade to a Penthouse (from $800 pp) or a Royal (from $400 pp). The email also states that they will let me know within 3 days of cruising— that is TODAY. The suites have been sold out for a while and the cruise itself is pretty full. I guess someone canceled a Suite & they are trying to get someone to upgrade to it. I put in a bid for a RS, we will see what happens.

Vickie

Do let us know what happens Vickie!

I will. I didn’t bid very high, so I doubt we’ll get it. If they factor in anything besides $, we might have a shot.

My 50th birthday & our anniversary are both during the 7 day cruise. Years ago we sailed on the Carnival Sensation during this same week, Carnival upgraded us (for free) to a suite that doesn’t even show on their deck plans. There were 2 of the Suites, a honeymoon couple was upgraded to the other one. The suites were very nice. It appears the era of free upgrades is over.

Vickie

Cruising on the Constellation on Aug 11, currently booked in an oceanview cabin. I started getting these "Move UP" offers like 2 weeks ago but they seem to be coming more frequently in the last few days. Every time I get one, I think the bid ranges will be lowered (closer to sailing we get). Hasn't happened yet and as others have said, the bid ranges are way too high....

Forgive me if this is addressed in this thread and I missed it, but how does this work if more than 2 ppl are in a cabin? Is the pp bid only for first two or does bidding price reflect all occupants?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Forums mobile app

According to the move up offer, only the first 2 people in the cabin are charged the upgrade fee, anyone else in the cabin is at the rate originally paid.

Vickie