Celebrity MoveUp

CruisingChick

Well, there goes that theory, lol. In typical Celebrity fashion there seems to be no rhyme or reason.

Exactly. Leave it to Celebrity.

Our May cruise we booked an OV and had perks and paid more than we normally would pay. The MoveUp offers we received were ridiculously high and that's why we did not bid.

Our September cruise we booked rock bottom inside cabin and the move up bids were lower for this 2 week cruise than for our 1 week cruise. Who the heck can figure that one out?

We're Elite so that doesn't seem to have helped. I think it has something to do with the price you paid for your current cabin. We booked a couple weeks after final payment and got a price much lower than had been advertised throughout the summer. Celebrity has probably determined that they will get higher bids from people than have already paid more for their cabin. So I'm going to comfort myself with the belief that I haven't received any Move-Up offers because I have a much better deal than others. ;)

Not so sure. We did the same and got a very, very good price for an inside. We then received the move up offer and upgraded to an OV at a great price(less than $8pp, per day), imo.

I've never had the opportunity to bid up. I might be way off here, but this is a big money maker for paid customers on Celebrity. I would think the parameters and analytics on who receives the offer, are vast and confusing for those of us on the client side.

Now with that said, the same could be said for their website (as a money maker) and we all know how that works.

Not so sure. We did the same and got a very, very good price for an inside. We then received the move up offer and upgraded to an OV at a great price(less than $8pp, per day), imo.

Ok, good to know. So I'm back to "Celebrity doesn't like me"

• 5 months later...
On 10/4/2018 at 7:19 AM, CruisingChick said:

Exactly. Leave it to Celebrity.

Our May cruise we booked an OV and had perks and paid more than we normally would pay. The MoveUp offers we received were ridiculously high and that's why we did not bid.

Our September cruise we booked rock bottom inside cabin and the move up bids were lower for this 2 week cruise than for our 1 week cruise. Who the heck can figure that one out?

Price offered prob has to do with how full the ship is...  supply and demand! 🙂

hey guys.... has anyone bid on a move up, and been "accepted " yet? We took the bait because the offer was very good, but no word on whether we got our request yet.  Has anyone else gotten a reply?

On 6/7/2018 at 11:09 AM, ggo85 said:

I think the frustration is not knowing how many cabins are available or even if any are available. As those above have posted, it makes you wonder if they are just holding all of these bids in the event a cabin opens up at the last minute. IOW, there isn't actually any inventory at the time the offers go out. The timing of letting people know (2 days before sailing) strongly supports this view.

The way to improve this is transparency. The email soliciting bids should indicate the number of cabins available for in each category and then, when the winning bids are chosen, those who bid should be notified what the winning bid was.

Now, we all know why they won't do that . . . :rolleyes:

As an aside, if I were to receive such an email, I would call X and inquire as to how many cabins were available in the category for which I wanted to bid and at what price. If they said zero, I would then ask how they can take bids for cabins that aren't available. And see how that conversation went . . .

There is some truth to this.  Its kind of like playing blackjack and the guy next to you has 17 and asks for another card and gets a 9 and folds.  Then its your turn and you have a 10 and get a card that doesn't help you but the 9 would have won the hand.  Very frustrating when people don't know what they are doing and cost you money.  The same applies here but its not money its the cabin upgrade.  Some people have no clue what the cabin they are bidding on is worth.  They don't check the price history and just overpay.  They could have booked it cheaper direct earlier on.  So your appropriate bid just gets denied because of this. 

Just been advised that as a UK based guest, we are unable to participate in the Move Up Upgrade Programme, I tried to register for my upcoming cruise in April on the Equinox.

I think that us UK guests receive second rate service to that being experienced by the US guests, the Celebrity Operator at Customer Services was unable to offer any reasonable explanation why !

As I see it, Celebrity only require a valid registered e-mail address, why is this so difficult to incorperate and offer to UK guests, not sure if guests from other countries are  able to participate ?

• Like 1

Edge TA just sent me the email...I am already in a suite, so the Iconic Suite is starting at 4,500 pp. Too much for my wallet.  I believe CS is 500 pp.  750 pp for Royal...time will tell, as there are lots of SS available.  

42 minutes ago, LIMPIT said:

Just been advised that as a UK based guest, we are unable to participate in the Move Up Upgrade Programme, I tried to register for my upcoming cruise in April on the Equinox.

And we loose our deposit too if we cancel. 

In the past I’ve been told it’s because of the different T&C. 

Obviously ‘Move up ‘ isn’t written in to our T&C. I wonder if the free upgrade is ?

9 hours ago, dori44 said:

hey guys.... has anyone bid on a move up, and been "accepted " yet? We took the bait because the offer was very good, but no word on whether we got our request yet.  Has anyone else gotten a reply?

The Terms and Conditions are they can notify you at any time up until two days before sailing.  On our last sailing, we were notified two days before that we didn't get it.

1 hour ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

The Terms and Conditions are they can notify you at any time up until two days before sailing.  On our last sailing, we were notified two days before that we didn't get it.

I didn't know they notify if you didn't get it.  I thought they only notify you if you did.

We are on the Edge 4/14 in an IV, category E4. Got a “Move Up” email today. Here are the minimum bids: 

To a Concierge Class IV : $150pp

To an Aqua Class IV: $350pp

To a Sky Suite: $1,400pp

To a Celebrity Suite: $1,900pp

To a Royal Suite: $2,500p

To an Edge Villa: $3,500pp

For what it’s worth, we are Elite, booked this as soon as Edge itineraries came out, and are paying about $3,400 all in for 2 with $300 OBC. 

Probably wont bid on any of them.

mac_tlc

14 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I didn't know they notify if you didn't get it.  I thought they only notify you if you did.

They do notify you if you don't receive it.  It will be two days out since they wait til the last minute in case there's a cancellation.  The email says something like "were sorry, but your bid or offer to upgrade to X stateroom type has been denied".  I remember it saying I know you'll be happy in the stateroom category you booked or something like that.

11 hours ago, LIMPIT said:

I think that us UK guests receive second rate service to that being experienced by the US guests, the Celebrity Operator at Customer Services was unable to offer any reasonable explanation why !

As I see it, Celebrity only require a valid registered e-mail address, why is this so difficult to incorperate and offer to UK guests, not sure if guests from other countries are  able to participate ?

Each of the booking systems and reservations are managed separately so it's not automatically possible to be rolled out everywhere at the same time. It needs to be configured for each booking office, including that pricing will be different e.g. if you make a UK booking, you wouldn't be offered an upgrade for USD350, but an amount in GBP, which then has to be set up appropriately i.e. it doesn't automatically convert and bill in your local currency.

Australia was only added to the roster of locations able to use this service a couple of weeks back. I'm sure you'll be set up and added shortly.

15 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Each of the booking systems and reservations are managed separately so it's not automatically possible to be rolled out everywhere at the same time. It needs to be configured for each booking office, including that pricing will be different e.g. if you make a UK booking, you wouldn't be offered an upgrade for USD350, but an amount in GBP, which then has to be set up appropriately i.e. it doesn't automatically convert and bill in your local currency.

Australia was only added to the roster of locations able to use this service a couple of weeks back. I'm sure you'll be set up and added shortly.

Strange Celebrity converted Beverage & Speciality Restaurant Packages from $ to £ on the web site without any issues when I purchased them ! 

Edited by LIMPIT
Correction
  • Like 1

We had a Move up offer for our cruise a few weeks ago, it was $300 minimum bid.   We received another email for the same cruise that is about a week away and the minimum bid is now at $350 for the same category.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

6 hours ago, LIMPIT said:

Strange Celebrity converted Beverage & Speciality Restaurant Packages from $ to £ on the web site without any issues when I purchased them ! 

Yes, because that is through the Celebrity website, which is already set up that way, hence your bookings are in GBP.

However, bidding is handled through a separate provider called plusgrade.

I’m on the 03/16/19 5 day cruise on the Infinity and received a Move Up bid offer about 10 days ago.  When we booked Oceanview Cabins were a very good deal with Verandas and above selling for more than most on a 7 day cruise.

Even though the ship is showing as sold out our offer allowed us to bid on a Veranda, Family Veranda, Concierge and Aqua.  I bid the max ($135 CDN) on the Veranda, $180 on the Family Veranda and $250 on Aqua.  

I received an e-mail Monday that my bid for a Veranda had been accepted and was assigned a partially obstructed 2B.  

Not it sure it matters but I’m Elite and booked directly with X.

Overall I’m pleased.  Not the best Veranda but my cost to bid was significantly less than it would have been to have booked a Veranda originally.

• Like 1

You can bid on a move-up on their website without receiving an email. 

The minimum bid price, however, is about what it would be had you booked the higher suite in the first place. 

Me? I like my concierge cabin so I'm not bidding another $1200 per person for a worse location in a bigger room.