Live from the Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer - May 5th, 2018

kazu

It would be fun if they had a Windsor Tea and the ladies all wore fascinators! We were at Dunham's Tea Restaurant in Sandwich on Cape Cod for lunch today and they had a special called "Windsor Tea""

I found a fascinator in FLL which I plan on wearing that day ;)

Thank you for the kind words all. Glad youu are following along. The thread should get more interesting now as I am posting this from Quimper, France. Part of Brittainy.

My private transfer from Brest to this medieval town went smoothly and I am enjoying a lovely cappucino at Le Finistre across from the wonderful Cathedral. Somewhat reminiscent of Notre Dame but cleaner. ;)

We're going to spend 4 hours here exploring and then head back to Brest to enjoy it for a bit before we get back on board.

DH made me bring a jacket - GRRR. I told him I wouldn't need it as we were headed inland.

Thank you for the kind words all. Glad youu are following along. The thread should get more interesting now as I am posting this from Quimper, France. Part of Brittainy.

My private transfer from Brest to this medieval town went smoothly and I am enjoying a lovely cappucino at Le Finistre across from the wonderful Cathedral. Somewhat reminiscent of Notre Dame but cleaner. ;)

We're going to spend 4 hours here exploring and then head back to Brest to enjoy it for a bit before we get back on board.

DH made me bring a jacket - GRRR. I told him I wouldn't need it as we were headed inland.

Don't buy any dishes, expensive....

The ship has some plans for the wedding. Not sure what they all are, but they will show the wedding in the theatre (satellite permitting) and, there is something else planned. A secret, I think.

Some will stay on the ship to watch - I am very tempted to go into Dover. We'll see how close the ship is when we dock. We have to get off to go through U.K. Immigration anyways, I believe.

Speaking of satellite, it was explained to me, that even if you are right there something as simple as a crane in the wrong place can block it. So, I got a bit better understanding of it.

Just a FYI, I just learned that Saturday is a huge football game day so that list of pubs I sent may/will have competition for their tv screens. Not any game, the FA championship game being played in London at Whembley Stadium and scheduled from 10:00 - 6:00.

I don’t know if this will impact your plans. I hope not but thought you would rather know than be surprised later.

Just a FYI, I just learned that Saturday is a huge football game day so that list of pubs I sent may/will have competition for their tv screens. Not any game, the FA championship game being played in London at Whembley Stadium and scheduled from 10:00 - 6:00.

I don’t know if this will impact your plans. I hope not but thought you would rather know than be surprised later.

Just for clarity, the FA Cup Final between Chelsea FC and Manchester United has a 5.15 pm BST Kick off

Just for clarity, the FA Cup Final between Chelsea FC and Manchester United has a 5.15 pm BST Kick off

Oh thanks for that clarification! Trying to find this information has been confusing so when I googled it the info I posted came up. I had visions of Kazu trying to watch the wedding in a pub full of football fans!

Our newscast this morning interviewed a number of people on the streets of London saying they would be watching the football final and not the wedding so I didn’t think to double check the source on the timing.

I just learned that Saturday is a huge football game day s ... scheduled from 10:00 - 6:00.

You have forgotten we warned you about this when you first started the roll call. FA cup finals are usually in the evening. I Googled and got

2018 FA Cup Final will be at 17:15 - 19:00 on

Saturday 19 May

All times are in United Kingdom Time.

Edited by jgw321
bad formatting

Our newscast this morning interviewed a number of people on the streets of London .

Don't take any notice of interviews of the public. There are a lot of ignorant people in this country (look at the referendum) and the media select the ones that say what they want. Once upon a time the media tried to be representative and unbiased but now they say anything (newspapers and TV alike) to try and capture an audience. If there isn't any sensational news they will make something up and prefix it with could but say it in a way that implies will and sounds like a really big deal.

I have been told before that I have a jaundiced view.

I saw a headline yesterday

Hybrid vehicles set to be banned by 2040 (emphasis mine).

On investigation it turns out that this was a leak (suspected to come from the government in reponse to a bad air quality report) and that although this has been considered it has not been agreed by ministers and no decision is expected in the near future. It only applies to vehicles that have a range under 50 miles on electric alone . This is admittedly most at the moment, but manufacturers are currently working to extend the range and improvements in battery technology are in the pipeline. This is expected to be a non-story by 2030, yet it implied that ALL hybrid vehicles would be banned.

I rest my case.

Don't take any notice of interviews of the public. There are a lot of ignorant people in this country (look at the referendum) and the media select the ones that say what they want. Once upon a time the media tried to be representative and unbiased but now they say anything (newspapers and TV alike) to try and capture an audience. If there isn't any sensational news they will make something up and prefix it with could but say it in a way that implies will and sounds like a really big deal.

:D

I guess our Canadian reporter was an easy target on the sidewalk with a microphone ready to go live on the morning news which was noon there. All I have to say is that is some pregame show!! I checked the timing twice on the website I was looking at (which I now can’t find as I can’t remember what I used to search). Of course my first trial search this morning pulled up the correct kick off. Of well. It is a long weekend in Canada so all good over here!

:D Of well.

No blame to you. My media experience is limited to UK (where we are) and USA (we have a lot of their TV stuffed down our throats). I have always thought Canada was a more enlightened country but have little experience of it , (to be rectified this fall).

Perhaps Jose was remembering our day in Rouen! ;p

Probably ;)

Sorry everyone, I got behind. Only got a few minutes of free wifi and when I got back to the ship, the wifi wasn't working. Yesterday was hectic with our tour, saying good bye to some people and packing up.

So, I'll check where I left off and try to update a bit in between watching the wedding. Yes, we are in Dover.

Some of my friends chose to stay on the ship and watch the wedding but some of us intrepid ones wanted to savour the flavour and find a spot in Dover to watch it.

So, we are the Eight Bells with a perfect seat and table watching the Royal Wedding. And Jane and I spotted a market with flowers. YIPPEE :)

And now, to try to catch up, so a bit of backtracking.

I had a private transfer for our group arranged to get to Quimper. Things went very smoothly for the 26 of us.

The bus was HUGE with ample room for everyone. If anyone wishes the info, I booked with Arnaud at TourSud. He is a licensed guide who also arranges coaches. His ratings as a guide were great so I thought it would work out - and it did ;)

Quimper is an extradordinary medieval city and it's cathedral towers high above.

first of all, we had to have a really good cappucino.

068f2b01a72f3fa69b7c718013969e3a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk