Check your room cleanliness and press the issue

Unfortunately, given the wages, there isn't a lot of demand for these jobs outside the countries where they currently recruit. I believe you'll find that most female stewards are either young and single, or have grown children.
Unfortunately it is very rare we have been lucky to have a female CS but when we have the cabin has always been kept much cleaner.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I may be wrong, but given the positioning of the material stuck to the filter, that means the filter is trapping the air being pulled in from your room. Or were the first two pictures showing the back side of the filter and the third is the front side?

Anyway, if I'm correct, my point is that this is the air being pulled in from your cabin. So the air coming in to the cabin does not go through that filter.

I may be wrong, but given the positioning of the material stuck to the filter, that means the filter is trapping the air being pulled in from your room. Or were the first two pictures showing the back side of the filter and the third is the front side?

Anyway, if I'm correct, my point is that this is the air being pulled in from your cabin. So the air coming in to the cabin does not go through that filter.

That filter is for the recirculation part of the AC system. It merely takes air from the cabin, passes it over a cooler, and returns it to the cabin. The fresh air supply to the cabin is filtered at the large air handler/cooler that services an entire bank of cabins, and is located in those long white spaces down the middle of the passenger cabin decks.

First two were same filter air flow side. Third was second filter. Regardless go through thread air was coming back out through the dusty outlet vents.

Honestly the next hotel or cruise I go on I’m taking a few dry dust cloths.

Is there any labor law that prevents contractors from boarding on turnaround day and doing more thorough cleaning of cabins? Or just the preventative cost of doing so?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...Is there any labor law that prevents contractors from boarding on turnaround day and doing more thorough cleaning of cabins? Or just the preventative cost of doing so? Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suspect it is mostly costs that prevent using a shoreside group. But there would also be some significant security concerns.

Is there any labor law that prevents contractors from boarding on turnaround day and doing more thorough cleaning of cabins? Or just the preventative cost of doing so?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pest control technicians (contractors: Ecolab mostly) come onboard at a lot of home ports to service the ships.

A LOT of debris gets stuck to the walls of this duct work never making it to your filter.

Not exactly true and complete.

SOME stuff gets stuck to the duct walls. But after a certain amount gets stuck, the moving air acts to scour the stuff off, so the same amount stays on the walls.

Otherwise your ducts would clog and no air would flow.

Duct cleaning is a HUGE scam. You remove the layer, and it will redeposit in a short period of time.

Also, as I said before, the more stuff on the filter, the better the filter works. But the less air that flows through it.

But the reason for the filter it not to keep things out of the air. It is to keep them from clogging up the fins on the heat exchanger (heating or cooling). The fins will act as a filter, collecting the same stuff as the filter. And then you have to get in an clean them. Much easier to change the filter.

• 3 weeks later...

We are just off the Radiance and both my my wife and I had allergy issues in our cabin. I went to the front desk and requested the filter be changed. The guy put in the order and made a phone call, but i have no idea if they did anything. Usually there is a confirmation note or phone call but we got nothing so i suspect they didn't do anything. Very frustrating as we sniffled our way through the cruise. I got feeling they didn't really care.

We are just off the Radiance and both my my wife and I had allergy issues in our cabin. I went to the front desk and requested the filter be changed.

Curious, how does one jump to the conclusion that a filter is the cause of ones allergies?

We are just off the Radiance and both my my wife and I had allergy issues in our cabin. I went to the front desk and requested the filter be changed. The guy put in the order and made a phone call, but i have no idea if they did anything. Usually there is a confirmation note or phone call but we got nothing so i suspect they didn't do anything. Very frustrating as we sniffled our way through the cruise. I got feeling they didn't really care.

Did the filter look cleaner?

Had maintenance done many times in 30 yrs, never a note. So must be hit and miss getting a confirmation... Know certain times of yr can have Allergies just traveling. Not saying your room isn't dirty...

Curious, how does one jump to the conclusion that a filter is the cause of ones allergies?

Well, i never saw the filter itself. However, dust just continually settled on the flat surfaces in the room and the return air duct in the bathroom was loaded with dirt and dust. Pretty gross. With that much dirt floating around, i doubt the filter was pristine.

So, thanks for the heads-up LMaxwell. The pictures have pretty much put me off my feed for the rest of the day! :D

It's in my notes for our future cruises to have hubby check all filters and gratings. We've had the housekeeping supervisor in our cabins more than once for other things, and they are pretty prompt.

.......this pictures in this thread makes me wanting to scream @#%k#%@#%@#.....!

I’m both sad/shocked to see that RCCL hasn’t done anything since 2010.

RCCL had a lot of trouble with Vision of the desies around 2010 because of noro, and not cleaning the ship.

Lack of routines are still in 2018 the same problem, and that’s scary.

https://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/vaknet-i-natt-av-at-det-var-spy-i-hele-lugaren/65104718

In here you can se picture of dust same place and also around the ship.

For those saying it should have been cleaned better, what about what can't be cleaned? Specifically the mattress. A mattress almost doubles in weight in 7 years. That weight is dead skin and dust mites. Should RCCL replace the mattress after every cruise? You can put a thousand sheets on the bed, it won't make a difference in the world. Lay down and you are engulfed in a cloud of microscopic leftovers from your previous fellow cruisers.

You must work for a mattress sales company for a living. It has already been proven this is not true. A mattress does not double in weight over time. However dead skin and dust mites yes....

ONE MORE TIME.

A dirty filter actually removes more particulate from the air than a clean one.

The dirty filter also circulates what's on it back out into the room, per Avery Heating and A/C, but it also diminishes the amount of cool air circulating. This is probably why some cabins seem hotter than others. My husband likes our cabins very cool, so he will be checking the intake grills and filters from now on.

ONE MORE TIME.

ONE MORE TIME. Look at the rest of the NASTY PHOTOS of filth, insects, hair. Explain that.

ONE MORE TIME.

I agree but only to a point. Once the filter's "pores" are clogged/closed and the air has no where left to go thru the filter, it either finds its way around it or does not even get pulled towards it anymore. The air flow gets less and less as "dirty air" is pulled into the filter and thus remains to settle around the room. This is what you see on the table top/ counter-tops, etc...

As many have stated, a dirty filter is not only a health risk over time, but it puts more of a strain on the unit as its having to work harder to operate. Having to work harder puts more strain on the power source as well. (by using more energy to work as efficiently as it can under those circumstances). Add in the fact that a filter only costs a few dollars, it makes way more sense to change the filters regularly than to let it get as bad as the OP found it for this thread.

Hopefully, RCI has someone who understands that spending a few dollars here will help their bottom line both mechanically & financially on board as well as emotionally with those of us who read these threads.

Here's to great (and clean air) cruises for everyone! :ship:

I remember the good old days when you did not have to bring cleaning products, vacuum cleaners and your own replacement filters. What is next?? RCCL charging passengers for service call maintenance visits? Will we soon find a menu in our room showing prices for filter replacement, upgraded water purification, carpet shampoo etc. etc. etc. ?????

Have a family members vacation home that we use. He wasn't able to go there for a couple of years. So he asked me to change the air filter when we got there. The airfilter did not look like anything like the one OP posted. Looks like his filter hasn't been changed in a long time, probably over two years old.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

To be honest I’m not surprised with the amount of time they give to turn these rooms over changing a filter is probably low on the list of priorities. Sad but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm coming to this thread late, but I would think this isn't a part of the weekly turn around day service, but it should be on someone regularly scheduled maintenance list.

The dirty filter also circulates what's on it back out into the room, per Avery Heating and A/C, but it also diminishes the amount of cool air circulating. This is probably why some cabins seem hotter than others. My husband likes our cabins very cool, so he will be checking the intake grills and filters from now on.

No it does not. It is trapped on the filter for a reason.

It does limit the air flow.