Check your room cleanliness and press the issue

I’ve waited some time to post this. I wanted to give RCI the opportunity to address this. They never did address to my satisfaction meaning they did not want to explain why we encountered this or why this is acceptable maintenance standards.

On the first evening of our 9 night Navigator cruise when we finally got to the room to unwind and unpack after a few minutes my wife complained that it was difficult to breathe. She went on the balcony and was fine but a few minutes after coming back in same complaint. It was approximately 845pm at this point.

I have about a dozen photos of the condition of our room but I’ll post these to start and let you form your own opinions. Many of the issues were discovered day one and taken to guest services where we were outright lied to by the Assistant Guest Service Manager Maria onboard Navigator as to how the situation would be handled. No one from RCI corporate disputes the fact that Maria mislead us.

I was able to meet on another day, with strong pressing of the issues, the Guest Services Manager Mr.Newell and his boss Hotel Director Mr.Davies. They chose to accept my photos and declined inspecting the room for themselves. Let me be clear; spending time on vacation in meetings is a WASTE of my vacation time. On day one we had maintenance workers in our room until 1130pm and on day two we were asked to vacate our room for several hours while workers tried to access the air handler and replaced trashed carpet.

If not for the efforts of the Diamond Concierge Patricia we would have left the ship very disappointed.

The first photo shows the cabin air filter as it was day one. The second photo shows the same filter after ship personnel banged it out and reinstalled the spent filter. The third photo shows the new filter they finally located and installed. More to follow. These are the exact same photos I provided onboard management and to Mr. Bayleys office and my travel agent. I was offered an FCC last Thursday but the terms on the FCC do not match what I was told verbally by the corporate office.

Would you expect to find this in a cruise ship room?

20eba9fabd50cf79912f1b14d7510ab6.jpg

d4244d21e53c4a6804590d778fe591f8.jpg

a94c29a9de99db0027d07c36de7199bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To be honest I’m not surprised with the amount of time they give to turn these rooms over changing a filter is probably low on the list of priorities. Sad but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was NOT just the filter. That is just part of it. This is the fault of the hotel director and maintenance staff. I do not fault the room attendant as they are there to make beds and replace towels and empty trash bins. This is beyond that. Will post more tomorrow

I am staying at a resort now in Tampa for business travel conference and the filter is fairly clean and marked as being changed 7 weeks ago. On Navigator they tried to tell me the filter in my room was only 4 weeks old. I’d bet it was a year old if it was a day.

4e47729c079c5f08996fe1e09f621bac.jpg

That’s disgusting. Unfortunately probably not uncommon for cruise ship cabins and hotel rooms.

Correct. Traveled for US Government for 26+ years spent 8-10+ months a yr staying in Hotels. I'm what my Ex calls "Anal" about cleanliness, staying at multiple long term Hotels for 6+ months I've insisted they replace mattresses and Shampoo my carpet before I'd spend nite in their room. Most of time my wife would agree. But you'd be surprised if you really look around, behind and under things in a room how really bad it can be and what you find... Sorry to OP. What a tough thing to deal with while traveling...

To be honest I’m not surprised with the amount of time they give to turn these rooms over changing a filter is probably low on the list of priorities. Sad but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be surprised if replacing filters was up to cabin staff. Usually it's a maintenance function. I would also expect a replacement schedule to be in place to prevent just this situation.

I think many of us will certainly start checking the air filters in our cabins now.

I'm having doubt that contacting Mr Bayley we'll actually see any improvement

in the maintenance policy about changing out the filters on a routine basis.

Just disgusted with these photos and so glad you posted them....Thank you so much

for the attention you've brought to this subject.

Oh man, I’m afraid to hear what else was wrong.

Something else people should check out really well, the bedding for the sofa bed, if you are using it. It is usually disgusting. Check inside the duvet cover. The down duvet inside was practically brown on one cruise we were on. Yuck!!

So sorry to hear about this! It is not fun to deal with these things on vacation.

Really shocked that staff didn't take prompt action to sort out the problem. I have always believed that RC would do the right thing.

I had a major problem on my last cruise which was with a different cruise line. I was also seriously unhappy with how the problem was dealt with. Thought I was given the runaround when all it needed was prompt action and a little bit of honesty.

OP did the right thing by taking photos as evidence.

That is pretty bad an inexcusable. So Sorry you had to deal with that.

Not going to start checking the filters myself though. Has not been an issue for mw up to this point and I am not one to go looking for trouble, particularly when on vacation.

That is pretty bad an inexcusable. So Sorry you had to deal with that.

Not going to start checking the filters myself though. Has not been an issue for mw up to this point and I am not one to go looking for trouble, particularly when on vacation.

Kind of hard to notice some of the items such as insects in the lights

6a47b611c7efa2bc0e568ca7abe949a7.jpg

9b194cba8ecbb19024d05fbbbe226bfe.jpg

Air return in the closet caked in hard dust. Not easily serviceable. This is what maintenance had to have us vacate room to access. Dismantled closet to get to this

83c1a8276e2807ce22afa278bf543d93.jpg

From wiping desk and baseboard area w my own wipes. That is hair and dirt. This is how management chooses to maintain their hotel facility.

e518fef53f52fff27b772f0f16a56d83.jpg

594da8c8b4788a9db7ad15c81825c510.jpg

79dbc18571d6ed082eea7c589e2017ce.jpg