Broken ankle on the Harmony of the Seas

I will be sailing on the Harmony five weeks after breaking and spraining my right ankle! I will be in a walking boot and plan to have a knee scooter rented for getting around the ship, though I should be able to do a lot of walking with the boot by then. I contacted the cruise line, but they mentioned all the accessible rooms were booked. I'm very worried about how this injury will affect my vacation that I've saved so long for! Does anyone have any advice or any experience with something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've seen many people on cruises with those knee scooters. They work very well and seem more comfortable than having to haul yourself around on crutches. I don't know what kind of cabin you have but you should be fine in any cabin.

The main differences between accessible cabins and regular cabins are the door width and the bathroom (and of course the overall size of the cabin). There will be a slight step to get into the bathroom and into the shower. In an accessible cabin there's no barriers in the bathrooms. You shouldn't have a problem getting into the cabin with the knee scooter.

You may want to request a shower chair so you have something to steady you. Don't know if there are grab bars in regular cabins (I only cruise in accessible cabins). You'll just need to be careful getting in and out of the bathroom.

I will be sailing on the Harmony five weeks after breaking and spraining my right ankle! I will be in a walking boot and plan to have a knee scooter rented for getting around the ship, though I should be able to do a lot of walking with the boot by then. I contacted the cruise line, but they mentioned all the accessible rooms were booked. I'm very worried about how this injury will affect my vacation that I've saved so long for! Does anyone have any advice or any experience with something similar?

You don't need one

We cruised after my DH had surgery and was in a full leg brace. We contacted special needs prior to sailing and ordered a shower stool, it was not in the cabin when we arrived, but the cabin steward was able to get one for us. My DH found that he swelled more in the heat of the Caribbean and also because of all the walking her was doing, so he was very happy we had brought an old fashion, screw top ice bag with us. This type of ice bag does not sweat so was perfect for icing down his leg while enjoying a drink on the balcony. Our cabin steward brought us a huge ice bucket twice a day and even left extra towels everyday.

My DH was cleared to walk without a cane by the time when we cruised, but we brought his anyway because of the movement of the ship.

We made sure we got to shows early so he could get either one of the handicap seats in the back of the theater or we would scout out seats that had extra leg room since his leg wasn't allowed to fully bend.

Just give yourself enough time to get from one venue to another and enough time to get on an elevator since you won't be doing stairs.

My youngest son broke his foot 2 weeks before we left for Alaska. He was able to get around on crutches, and he was walking in a non-walkable cast, the entire 2 weeks we were gone. He didn't have any problems in the shower (we had a rubberized cover to go over the cast) in his regular cabin. You should be just fine - especially if you can get a stool to sit/kneel on to give you extra support.

My (adult) son took a knee scooter on board without any difficulty at all. It fit in regular room just fine. He was flying around the ship. At dinner, after he was seated, they moved it and brought it back. You will do fine. Enjoy your trip and let us know all about it!

First, my sympathies on your injuries. Second, if you have not used a knee scooter before, consider going to a medical supply store and trying one before your trip. Many people use them with no problem. I have mild trouble with my knees. (They only bother me walking up and down stairs. Not even then if I put both feet on each step.) When I tried a knee scooter while recovering from a broken foot, putting my body weight on my knee caused incredible pain. I chose to push myself in a wheelchair instead.

If you will be able to walk in the walking boot, you should be just fine. Hopefully in 5 weeks you may feel that you need the boot for just some of the time. Your limitations may be when you are in port. Were you planning to go to the beach, snorkel, hike, shop? It may be difficult for you to enter the water with the uneven sand. However, you should be able to swim in a pool, but may have difficult getting in and out. Here’s for hoping you heal fast and in 5 weeks, you’re all good! Harmony is such a beautiful ship...enjoy every minute!

... if you have not used a knee scooter before, consider going to a medical supply store and trying one before your trip. Many people use them with no problem...

I am currently recovering from a serious foot injury and use a walking boot. My doctor suggested a knee scooter but when I did a test run at the med supply store, I quickly concluded that it was a pain in the neck to put it on, "scoot" down the hall, be careful of turns and doorways, etc. I'm just fine using the walking boot with appropriate attention to the usual everyday hazards.

I broke my foot on Brilliance in December...on the FIRST night!! Was in cast, crutches, and wheel chair the rest of the cruise. I did not have any problems with a standard JS cabin. Had to use the crutches to get inside the cabin, since the wheel chair did not fit through the door...then simply folded the wheel chair and brought it inside. The shower stool I asked for was a huge help.

Had four more cruises booked after that in regular cabins the next three months, the second cruise was thankfully in a walking boot. No more worries with the chair. :cool:Just had to take the elevator instead of the stairs...which takes more time with the waiting...but it was what it was.

"poop" happens...but I still enjoyed my cruises. I think you will also. :)

I have been a cruiser and not too ling ago spent 12+ weeks on a knee scooter.....but never at the same time. We were also on Harmony in March. If you are mobile in a boot but will use the knee scooter to get around, I don't think you'll have much of a problem, even in a regular room.

As another poster noted, it may be helpful if you ask RCL to have a shower chair in the bathroom.

The one other consideration might be the location of the bed. We had a balcony room, and those alternate location of the bed from close to the bath or close to the balcony. Might be better to have the bed near the balcony if you think you'll need the scooter in the room at all. If the scooter is only for getting around the ship and you are fine with the boot in the room, either location is fine. without restriction, we prefer the bed near the bath. It gives you a lot of room by the balcony and also the ability to stretch out on the couch and watch the world go by.

First of all, I must say that my sympathy is with you. I had a severe dislocation of my ankle a week before my scheduled cruise and had to have surgery the next day. Therefore, I had to cancel my cruise. You are fortunate that your injury is not to severe.

The main thing I would strongly suggest is that you let guest services know of your injury and knee scooter. You should request a disabled status before the muster drill. In case there is a ship emergency someone will help you, and possibly let you and your guests use an elevator. There is no way that you will survive the stampede during a true emergency, and more important you will not be able to walk down up to 13 flights of stairs. Like everyone else mentioned, you must secure a shower chair, ice bag and have some form of pain medication, even if it is simply ibuprofen. Also, remember to elevate your injured leg as much as possible.

My mom fractured her foot a few months before our Oasis cruise 3 years ago. She was able to get her cast off but was in a walking boot with limited weight bearing for our cruise. We travelled cross country with a lightweight transport wheelchair and crutches. The wheelchair didn't fit through the door but she was able to use her crutches to get in and out of the stateroom. She did use a scooter at home but since she was in her late 60s my dad thought the transport chair would be a better option for her on the ship. We had a standing dinner reservation for my time dining and they put us at a table close to the entrance with space to park her chair. We still had a great time but we are doing a "do over" cruise on the Harmony in June! Enjoy your cruise - the crew is very accommodating and don't let the room accessibility worry you before your trip.