Chair Hogs New Low

Sorry I have not been back to respond but having internet issues. We did not talk to staff as we had chairs but felt bad for others who were looking and we knew that the people next to us had not used their chairs for several hours. I know it is not my job to remove items and try to be non-confrontational when possible. Was mostly commenting on the new Technique(to me) they were using. These two people also took their towels to the chairs in the sun but left their bags on the chairs in the shade. We also give up our chairs if going to be gone for more than 1/2 hour.

W2C

They make you check out towels now right? Has anyone ever been charged for a towel because it was removed because they were being a chair hog? OK now, if you do not admit it, at least Have You Heard of someone else being charged for a towel because their towel was removed?

This thread highlights the real problem which is people with different values and sense of etiquette. There doesn't seem to be a common view of right and wrong.

Let me summarise :

Enforcers - people who see policing the use of lounge chairs far more important than enjoying their holiday.

If you can't beat them brigade - ones who compound the reserving of chairs problem using the conduct of a minority as a justification.

Conflict seekers - ones who will displace someone's belongings in order to grab a lounge chair without consideration of whether the reserve was reasonable.

Territory grabbers - ones who get up early in the morning and see it as an essential part of their holiday to grab their lounge chair and occupy it for the rest of the day.

Yes there is a problem with people reserving lounge chairs and it reduces supply. I am not convinced that people applying their own sense of etiquette helps. Plus I don't see how engaging in any activity which might lead to conflict is desirable.

OP was right to highlight inconsiderate behaviour. I don't however agree with some of the responses.

We were on Oasis in April too, during a busy spring break week. The guy with the clipboard also had a security detail with him. Clipboard guy would remove the belongings and the security guy would deal with angry people. I was surprised to see people outright LYING about whether people had been in the chairs recently. I sat in a chair from 7am to 10am and the hogs in front of me never showed up in that time, but their "neighbor" argued with security that they had just been there :rolleyes:

My favorite was the guy who tied the legs of 8 loungers together with towels and left for 2 hours. A rebel group of passengers commandeered the chairs after confirming that no one had been sitting in them for some time. The man came back and was incredulous that someone had taken his chairs, and an argument ensued. The passengers were undaunted and the man left with nothing but his towels. He would pass by the area periodically and comment loudly about the people who "stole his chairs" :D

If nothing else, chair hogging can provide some good entertainment.

I have a solution. All I want is 30 minutes in the chair. How about a seat-filler line? Rather than leaving your towel, leave me in your chair instead. I think there are more of us than you think. Put it on the app. As it is, I am shut out of using spaces like the Solarium on Anthem during the day because I'm just not going to take part in the stress of it all.

As it is, I am shut out of using spaces like the Solarium on Anthem during the day because I'm just not going to take part in the stress of it all.

I feel the same way.

Ats some point in the near future the cruise lines will see this whole subject as an opportunity to stuff their pockets with MORE cash by coming up with a "Reserve-your-lounger-for-a-day-by-paying-a-fee" plan. Several years ago drink packages were introduced and they are now very popular- reserved loungers could be the way to go.

Ats some point in the near future the cruise lines will see this whole subject as an opportunity to stuff their pockets with MORE cash by coming up with a "Reserve-your-lounger-for-a-day-by-paying-a-fee" plan. Several years ago drink packages were introduced and they are now very popular- reserved loungers could be the way to go.

Way this is done by some cruise lines is to have a reserved area which you have to pay to have access. I don't believe that is a bad idea personally.

On RC, the closest you can get to this is to book a suite and have access to the suite deck on some ships.

This thread highlights the real problem which is people with different values and sense of etiquette. There doesn't seem to be a common view of right and wrong.

Let me summarise :

Enforcers - people who see policing the use of lounge chairs far more important than enjoying their holiday.

If you can't beat them brigade - ones who compound the reserving of chairs problem using the conduct of a minority as a justification.

Conflict seekers - ones who will displace someone's belongings in order to grab a lounge chair without consideration of whether the reserve was reasonable.

Territory grabbers - ones who get up early in the morning and see it as an essential part of their holiday to grab their lounge chair and occupy it for the rest of the day.

Yes there is a problem with people reserving lounge chairs and it reduces supply. I am not convinced that people applying their own sense of etiquette helps. Plus I don't see how engaging in any activity which might lead to conflict is desirable.

OP was right to highlight inconsiderate behaviour. I don't however agree with some of the responses.

So, I guess, we are left with just complaining to RCL and hoping for a solution.

I have a solution. All I want is 30 minutes in the chair. How about a seat-filler line? Rather than leaving your towel, leave me in your chair instead. I think there are more of us than you think. Put it on the app. As it is, I am shut out of using spaces like the Solarium on Anthem during the day because I'm just not going to take part in the stress of it all.

I like your idea. BUT, here's my caveat.... I'll sit in your chair for up to an hour IF you buy me a Pina Colada. For 2 hours, bring me a burger AND buy me a 2 Pina Coladas and I'm in that chair! When you return it's yours for the asking!

Really folks, this is easy... just be adults and follow the rules of the cruise line. Easy... game over. As for "if they would enforce the rules we'd follow them," how about why not just following the rules and it keeps these overworked pool attendants from having to be "heavies." Why do you want to do that to them? Don't you want your visitors to your home to follow the rules of your house? Do you want to be scolding people when they visit for rude and inconsiderate behavior?

Or just hire me as I stated. Pretty good deal for a Pina Colada.

Now there's an idea! :D

Is there an app for that?

Yes, the chair hogs are awful and annoying. But so are the people who come out to the pool in the middle of the peak time on a sea day and expect to get a prime chair spot for their entire family all together. If you want a good spot plan accordingly. Too many people today “expect” everything and then complain and carry on when they don’t get heir way.

Yes, the chair hogs are awful and annoying. But so are the people who come out to the pool in the middle of the peak time on a sea day and expect to get a prime chair spot for their entire family all together. If you want a good spot plan accordingly. Too many people today “expect” everything and then complain and carry on when they don’t get heir way.

I agree with you.

I like your idea. BUT, here's my caveat.... I'll sit in your chair for up to an hour IF you buy me a Pina Colada. For 2 hours, bring me a burger AND buy me a 2 Pina Coladas and I'm in that chair! When you return it's yours for the asking!

Really folks, this is easy... just be adults and follow the rules of the cruise line. Easy... game over. As for "if they would enforce the rules we'd follow them," how about why not just following the rules and it keeps these overworked pool attendants from having to be "heavies." Why do you want to do that to them? Don't you want your visitors to your home to follow the rules of your house? Do you want to be scolding people when they visit for rude and inconsiderate behavior?

Or just hire me as I stated. Pretty good deal for a Pina Colada.

Let's have T-shirts made that say "I'll save your seat for a drink!";p:cool::*

Sorry I have not been back to respond but having internet issues. We did not talk to staff as we had chairs but felt bad for others who were looking and we knew that the people next to us had not used their chairs for several hours. I know it is not my job to remove items and try to be non-confrontational when possible. Was mostly commenting on the new Technique(to me) they were using. These two people also took their towels to the chairs in the sun but left their bags on the chairs in the shade. We also give up our chairs if going to be gone for more than 1/2 hour.

W2C

Wonder what they would have done if you brought them their bags and said excuse me, you forgot your bags when you changed seats and others are looking for seats.

This was on Harmony on Easter week the first Picture is the first day at sea at 730 . The second picture is the second day at sea at 830. Notice all the empty seats taken by towels. I was told that there were people out at 530am putting towels on chairs. By the last sea day I got up early and got us 4 seats by the sports pool and we took turns sitting in them until we were ready to hang out there. It's sad we had to play the game but at least we stayed there and didn't leave them unoccupied.But on that day I guess enough people complained all week so the "towel police" started marking chairs and taking stuff off it was great to finally see. I wish they did this the whole cruise. imagejpegimagejpeg

Let me summarise :

I am not seeing a solution proposed here.

I was a "territory grabber" (not on a cruise, though) because day after day after day there was a chair hog issue, and for at least one day I wanted to enjoy a shady spot for awhile. That was the solution that seemed to present the least amount of conflict, confrontation and stress while still allowing me to enjoy my vacation. None of the alternatives, including simply giving up, seemed worthwhile. I don't like it one bit but it is what it is.

An additional issue I encounter when looking for a seat is that folks will generally leave one seat between them and the next set of chairs. Then, there are lots of open single seats but not two together. When we arrive at the pool deck and there are a fair amount of open seats, we leave two seats between us and the next open seats.

Wish pool attendants would somehow control the holding of seats for hours.

M

An additional issue I encounter when looking for a seat is that folks will generally leave one seat between them and the next set of chairs. Then, there are lots of open single seats but not two together. When we arrive at the pool deck and there are a fair amount of open seats, we leave two seats between us and the next open seats.

Wish pool attendants would somehow control the holding of seats for hours.

M

We do the same. I, for one, appreciate your courtesy! Thank you! :)

I was on this sailing too and the Solarium was bad for chair hogs. I cannot speak for the other pools.

One day we got to the pool deck around 11:45. I think it was a port day. We got there right after we had eaten a quick lunch in the WJ. We took a few chairs and then had our eye out for better locations. I picked a few out and told hubby if the people were not back in an hour I was taking their chairs. After about an hour or an hour 15, they did not come back so I took their two towels, folded them and put them off to the side of the pool deck. They showed up about 15 minutes later looking for their chairs. I explained they were gone for more than the allowed time and I had set their towels aside for them. They picked them up and put them on the chairs that were open beside my hubby. They sat on the chairs for MAYBE 15 minutes. They got up and left their towels and we never saw them that afternoon again. Their towels were still sitting there on the chairs where they left them when we left the pool are at 4:45ish. Now I think I should have taken the towels to the drop off so they would have gotten charged.

I am not saying neither of us ever leave the loungers, but it is rare and never longer than 15 minutes to run to the WJ to grab a snack or for a dip in the pool. I know how much it aggravates me when I cannot find a chair or when all the good ones are taken by people that never show up to use them...

When we sailed on Adventure OTS and Navigator OTS, there was an occasional chair hog issue in the Solarium, where we spend most of our time. Last March on Harmony, we had no such problem. A sold out ship too, but we were always able to find a chair or lounger. Not sure if its serendipity or that the larger ship give you more choices on where to go.

. The bully then suggested the guy had an attitude. For a moment i thought i was on carnival . The bully and guy in the chair had words . No fight but looked to be very close to one .OVER A CHAIR crazy .

What does a bad mannered guest have anything to do with Carnival?

No single cruise line has a market on rude behavior - sadly it's a human issue, not a cruise line issue.