Celebrity Constellation vrs S Class Ships

gozzy

We are thinking of booking a cruise on the Constellation . We have done five cruises on various S Class Ships . We very much enjoyed them . We enjoyed the layout of the ships. I am worried that we will be disappointed with the older Constellation. We really like the itinerary so we are not sure what to do . Any thoughts ?

We spent 29 nights on the Connie earlier this year & hated to get off.

We like the S class ships but like some of the things that the M- Class ships have like the Revendous Lounge, the pool in the Solarium is so relaxing & the covered seating at the Mast Grill. The thing we don’t care for on the M-class ships is the layout of the buffet.

The has been well maintained and the crew was great. We would sail on her again with no hesitation.

Another "Go for the Connie." We've done several transatlantics on S-Class ships, and I booked one on Constellation. My wife was worried that it was too small to cross the Atlantic. Since then, we've done a couple on Constellation, and love that ship.

I've spent 25 nights on the Constellation and loved every minute. A 9-night Caribbean cruise and a 16 night westbound transatlantic. The ship is a perfect size and easy to navigate with 3 sets of stairs / elevators to aide in traffic flow. All M-Class ships are the same layout, and even thought I have not sailed all of them, Connie has a special place in my heart.

We got off the Connie on Monday and were so sad to leave. I had only done S-class ships prior to this and was a tad nervous. I did find that it was more intimate and we saw more people repeatedly, but that’s not a bad thing necessarily. Loved getting to know the crew better due to the smaller ship. The 3 sets of elevators are great. I did miss the atrium, but not a deal breaker. Buffet layout is far worse than S-class and I found the offerings slightly lacking as well. All that said, I wouldn’t hesitate to sail on the Connie again. Crew was amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't have a preference between the M- and S-class ships. Each design has its plusses and minuses. We choose our cruises based on itinerary. But I must say that I find the three banks of elevators on the M-class ships really nice (and I don't have any mobility issues). And the design of the Ensemble Lounge on the S-class ships is simply lousy if you want to listen to the music playing in that venue; on the M-class ships the Rendezvous Lounge often has the same type of live music and is a much, much better design.

We are thinking of booking a cruise on the Constellation . We have done five cruises on various S Class Ships . We very much enjoyed them . We enjoyed the layout of the ships. I am worried that we will be disappointed with the older Constellation. We really like the itinerary so we are not sure what to do . Any thoughts ?

M-Class are older but well maintained. We sailed Connie a year ago from Venice and enjoyed our cruise. Are you just concerned about the age or what else concerns you? If you are more specific you will get more well informed answers.

I don't have a preference between the M- and S-class ships. Each design has its plusses and minuses. We choose our cruises based on itinerary. But I must say that I find the three banks of elevators on the M-class ships really nice (and I don't have any mobility issues). And the design of the Ensemble Lounge on the S-class ships is simply lousy if you want to listen to the music playing in that venue; on the M-class ships the Rendezvous Lounge often has the same type of live music and is a much, much better design.

I also choose my ships by itinerary. Lately all my cruises have been on M class ships. Boarding the Connie for 3 weeks next week. Just on Summit in January. I find the M class to be just fine.

Recently did summit my only issue was size of sky suite compared to S class

Recently did summit my only issue was size of sky suite compared to S class

Very true, that was frustrating, almost half the size it seemed. I did love the balcony facing beds with the different layout. Quite lovely to lie in bed and stare straight at the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

M-Class are older but well maintained. We sailed Connie a year ago from Venice and enjoyed our cruise. Are you just concerned about the age or what else concerns you? If you are more specific you will get more well informed answers.

I am just worried that the ship is showing its age and the general layout of the ship . I see that you have done the Adriatic last year. The cruise that we are thinking about on the Constellation is a 10 day Dalmatian Coast & Italy out of Venice next June . What are your thoughts on this Itinerary ?

I am just worried that the ship is showing its age and the general layout of the ship . I see that you have done the Adriatic last year. The cruise that we are thinking about on the Constellation is a 10 day Dalmatian Coast & Italy out of Venice next June . What are your thoughts on this Itinerary ?

You didn't address this question to me, but since I'm about to embark on this itinerary and the one before it, I obviously think it's a good itinerary! It's an itinerary that S class ships cannot do because they can't go to Venice.

We’ve sailed on Infinity, Constellation (twice) and Millennium.

One of our cruises on Connie was the itinerary you have mentioned. Fab itinerary, fab ship. Yes, she is older than Solstice class, and smaller, but still a lovely ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the Adriatic on the Constellation last year and loved the itinerary, the ship, everything. We had two overnights (Dubrovnik and Malta) and we took a train to Cinque Terre after the cruise. If you want great tips on the ports, Wolters World has some great videos on the internet for the ports. In any case, although the ship was small, it had everything , but maybe everything was a bit smaller. We enjoyed that class of ship so much, that we booked the Millennium for Alaska and we're bringing our college age kids with us. Our cruise next year is on an even smaller ship, Azamara Quest.

Honestly every ship, even much newer ones, show their age a bit. It is hard to show in perfect condition due to thousands of passengers weekly. I have been on all of the M-Class ships in the past few years. IMO Celebrity does maintain them very well. But don't expect new everything. You will see some worn areas particularly in the cabins. To that point, Celebrity has announced extended dry docks for all of their ships over the next few years to completely refurbish them. If you want brand new and shiny there are ships like Edge being launched this year. Lots of 2018 launches on other cruise lines too. As for the itinerary, the Adriatic and Croatia are spectacular! The sail out of Venice is amazing.

Love this thread. I was just thinking the other day about starting a thread “which M class ship is your fav?”. We have done several S class cruises and love them but since we tend to prefer much smaller intimate luxury ships like Silversea, I was thinking the M class might suit us very well but I , too, was concerned that they might a bit tired. But this thread has completely squashed that concern. I think we will book an M class....

We did Constellation for our first Celebrity cruise, Aqua Class. We LOVED our balcony & Aqua dining. We were a tad more bored than on other cruises...smallest ship we had cruised likely affected that.

We have done Silhouette our last 2 cruises. More activities offered.

Otherwise little difference, imo--service still great, ship still gorgeous.

I say go for it.

I also choose my ships by itinerary. Lately all my cruises have been on M class ships. Boarding the Connie for 3 weeks next week. Just on Summit in January. I find the M class to be just fine.

Hi Florida

Original native.

First sailing on Carla C 1952 I think

Summit to Hawaii 3 times

Tried the connie (francis). I have found that certain ships with certain sailing personnel have had mega issues. Fortunately few and far between.

However on my 2015 sailing transatlantic from fla, a disaster of the highest level.

The oven for cooking meat seemed to be broken as all the meat appeared RAW.

Ice cold.

Not medium rare as they claimed. I complained everywhere, having some medical

and restaurant knowledge. Then it happened that a gentleman at the next table

over had an issue with his steak which became the last steak he would ever eat.

We ceased eating in the MDR for the balance of the sailing.

Be careful of complaining, Celebrity banned me from sailing because of this.

It was a full registered complaint as was the Summit where the illegal waffle makers

were taken off line by the CDC.

Not likely to be a repeating event but ....there were other issues where celebrity one

touch as well as onboard staff simply refused for procedural reasons to attend to

critical issues.

I make a lot of lemonade too.

Hi Florida

Original native.

Summit to Hawaii 3 times

Tried the connie (francis). I have found that certain ships with certain sailing personnel have had mega issues. Fortunately few and far between.

However on my 2015 sailing transatlantic from fla, a disaster of the highest level.

Ice cold.

It was a full registered complaint as was the Summit where the illegal waffle makers

Not likely to be a repeating event but ....there were other issues where celebrity one

touch as well as onboard staff simply refused for procedural reasons to attend to

critical issues.

Your cruise was three years ago. The ship was recently renovated and looked great when we were on it last summer in the Adriatic. It's too bad about your cruise and your banning by Celebrity though. Any line and any ship can have a bad cruise and things can go wrong.

The larger ships aren't allowed in Venice or many of the Med, Asian, or Alaska Inside Passage itineraries. Hopefully, Celebrity invests in these ships and keeps them around. There is also something to be said for not cruising with 3,500 others.

I am going on the Constellation in July and am worried the ship doesn't have the wow factor. The cruise is for my friends 50th Birthday which she chose as she wanted to be away on her birthday, this is her first cruise and I'm worried she will wonder why I have been praising cruising. My last cruise was on the Reflection which I loved. The Constellation looks very dark and dull. Hopefully my friend won't be disappointed. I am feeling a bit better after reading everyone's comments.

Everybody would describe the Wow Factor differently. It is very subjective. Some love loads of activities like rock climbing walls and bumper cars (not Celebrity). Some hate those things. It just depends on your tastes in life. Celebrity is more refined and relaxed.

Hi Florida

Original native.

Summit to Hawaii 3 times

Ice cold.

critical issues.

It sounds like you approached this cruise in inspector general mode instead of vacation mode. As someone who "complained everywhere" as you admit, you must have been a joy to sail with.