Weather in Alaska

nana51

Now I know why it’s so expensive to go to Alaska in July. The weather the last few weeks has been horrendous, rain day after day after day. No guarantee I won’t have rain in July but I’m hoping the weather will be a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Weather is never predictable in Alaska. We went last year in mid-May for 10 days and only had rain one day. I went in early September in 2008 and it was 80 and sunny in Anchorage the first day and we only had one rainy day. We have obviously been lucky.

Alaskan weather is unpredictable.

Our first cruise to Alaska many years ago was in July and all I had were wool slacks. We were in the upper 80's nearly day -- 14 days of heat.

Now I take a couple of pairs of heavier slacks (not wool), a pair of thinner slacks and 1 pair of bermudas.

Pack to dress in layers.

We were just in Alaska (week of May 10th and May 18th). First week had nice weather and second it was so-so. We have taken 23 cruises to Alaska and the experience has never been the same. We go prepared with layers and peel as we need to. Weather report is not always reliable either as we were told it would rain every day of our first cruise and it wasn't so.

We usually check a few weather apps a day or so before departing on a cruise. We didnt the year we went to the Baltic...it was in the 90s in Russia. We didnt pack much hot weather clothes.

Was that 2014? It was hot for our back-to-back cruises in the Baltics and Northern Europe that year!

The common school of thought is to dress in layers with a waterproof outer layer. I've experienced upper 30s to 90+ and rain is likely when you consider some of the common ports are in rain forests. The good news is Alaskan cruises have less of the fashion show mentality of Mediterranean and Caribbean cruises.

How is the beginning of September normally?

We went on an Alaskan cruise in September. Our experience was that it was cool and drizzling some days. Dress in layers! We had gone on another Alaskan cruise in mid may and had winter and summer clothes since the weather changed so dramatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is the beginning of September normally?

One year when I went that week, the staff said it was the best week (weather-wise) of the season. It was warm and sunny.

Other times when I was there that same week, it was cold and at least drizzly, if not primarily rain.

Once you get past that first week of September, however, the weather tends to deteriorate rapidly. I've been on the final cruise of the season a time or two, and it was pretty cold & wet.

So, the advice that the weather can vary is also true in the first week of September. Come prepared with adequate clothing.

It's not the weather.

Alaska has high port fees throughout the season, and the summer-time demand for cruises drives up the fares.

Because the weather is usually better and more people travel then so they hike the port rate. So it is kind of due to weather.

I went a few weeks ago, May 6-13, and our weather was amazing! Warm (in the 70s for at least 4 days), sunny for part of every day, and we had only a couple hours of drizzle total in Ketchikan. It may have rained hard one night during the night, but we couldn't tell for sure. I picked May because of the unpredictability of the weather during the cruise season. It looked like you could get cold and rain in July or any month, so I rolled the dice and saved some money and lightened up the crowds and it was way beyond what I could have hoped for. I expected it to be cold and rainy, and would have enjoyed my cruise either way, but at least I went into it expecting the worst. I absolutely would try early in the season again.

The year we went b2b to Alaska, there was a heat wave and it was 90 degrees every day. Luckily, I had a pair of exercise shorts with me, because the stores were all sold out of summer clothes. I did need a fleece and hat on the glaciers and when we went dog sledding, but in town it was so hot. Floridians who went that summer to escape the heat and humidity of Florida, were not very happy. The date of that cruise is in my expanded signature.

Now I know why it’s so expensive to go to Alaska in July. The weather the last few weeks has been horrendous, rain day after day after day. No guarantee I won’t have rain in July but I’m hoping the weather will be a little better.

I've sailed to Alaska in May, June, and late August. The weather each time was very different, and the May cruise had the best weather of the 3. That May cruise offered almost no rain and crystal clear blue skies with daytime temperatures in the low 70's. There's just no way to predict Alaska weather. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Disposable ponchos and preparing for dressing in layers that can be peeled off are the best approach.

Weather in Alaska? Yes, there is weather in Alaska, but it can be chilly or warm, windy or calm, drizzly or rainy or snowy or sunny.

Best advice is to bring layers and plan to add or subtract as conditions require (sometimes several changes are needed in the same day).

We just returned, our cruise was May 26-June 2. Though it looked gray and misty in most of the ports, the weather on our excursions (up Mendenhall Glacier, out to the Yukon) was absolutely gorgeous! In Ketchikan, we had beautiful sunny skies, which almost never happens. It was only raining and windy on our 2 "scenic cruising" days, northbound and southbound, putting a bit of a damper on our scenery. We witnessed an altercation at the EXC office, where a customer was asking the agent about the weather and the agent said something like "you never know in advance, you just have to step outside and look at the sky." The customer took this as a sarcastic remark, but it wasn't meant that way, the agent really was trying to emphasize how unpredictable it is in Alaska.

July and August are typically the most rainy months. The region is a temperate rain forest, they call the rain "liquid sunshine." Pack lots of layers and bring a waterproof outer layer. Be prepared and you won't be disappointed.

Just back from two weeks and the weather can even change hourly. It simply became the feel of Alaska. Much like Norway. Seems most of the tourist photos for both places are taken quickly during the few sunny bright days. We got to like the gray and drizzly - felt very much part of life way up North since this is what daily Alaska actually is.

Tropics are expected to be hot and humid, so what would arctic Alaska be without the cold and what that actually means to the daily life for those who live up here year round? There is wonderful drama to the weather in both these places - but if one expects or demands good, dry weather, better to pick another cruise location. The onboard Alaska local guide said they go to Homer when they vacation themselves in Alaska - which was cold, drizzly and windy the day we were there. So this is what Alaskans call a "fun destination". So be it.

The gorgeousness of the lush Alaska --rain-- forest is so truly stunning --one needs to appreciate why this is so. Sitka claims to be the "banana belt" of Alaska, but it is still part of the rain forest. To view classic Alaska with its snow capped peaks surrounding much of the stunning scenery does take accepting the cold, rain and fog that keeps them that way.

Pack and dress for it - one good weather and water proof outfit is all you need to bring. Pockets big enough to stuff an umbrella hat, ear muffs, scarf and gloves helps a lot too. Wash out the under-layers as needed. If it gets too hot, there are plenty of souvenir tee-shirts to buy onboard or in every port.