What is going on with Celebrity pricing for next year ??

barneymag

Each cruise purchase decision is based upon among other things perceived value by the individual making the purchase.

Mr. Rick,

You always have some interesting opinions and/or facts. Thanks for posting. :)

You make good points, Tee Rick, but I have to wonder who the people are who would pay so handsomely for a middle range product. Are they new cruisers, are they benefiting from a booming economy and not concerned with cost, or are they simply filthy rich? For the last seven or so years we have taken at least two, sometimes three, B2Bs over Christmas on the Eclipse in either Celebrity or S1 suites. Not so this year. I see that on certain cruises, Celebrity is getting into the Regent price range, and Regent will win that competition every time. A few thousand dollars is well worth it for such a great experience.

So now we are facing a decision point as final payment for our B2B in late November/early December is fast approaching. We moved down to Aqua class but we have the cabins we want at a good price. Do we cancel twenty one days of Celebrity for ten or twelve on Regent? The cost in total will be about the same but the experience with differ markedly. We shall see. But I am still wondering who is paying those high prices on X's Christmas cruises. It certainly won't be us.

Each cruise purchase decision is based upon among other things perceived value by the individual making the purchase. There are a lot of people out there paying Celebrity's higher prices so they like the product for the money and presumably can afford it. The ships are sailing full and new higher priced ships like Edge are already filling up. That is the financial equation that Celebrity banks on (literally).. Unless ship's start sailing half-empty (unlikely) the prices will continue to be pushed higher. Where does that leave some of the long time Celebrity cruisers used to perhaps a better value? They will by their own purchasing choice either pay more or find something else that matches their individual perceived value. They will make decisions best for them but Celebrity will march on with full ships of customers willing to pay. Hard pill to swallow? Some perhaps can find the value they are seeking on older ships with less popular itineraries. It is a purchasing choice. If you wait to get the cabin you want on a highly popular ship and itinerary, you will likely not get it very long after release date. That's why a lot of us book early.

Yes, quite true, yet for us we usually book while aboard a current sailing for the next.

The 2019 sailings were available to book on our 2017 sailing but chose to wait and I Am happy we did, as the fare held steady for several months and then a TA swooped in with a really great deal, after which Verandah prices increased for the sailing at least 12%, since we purchased.

A roll of the dice and we did well, this go round! ;p

Each of us need to decide for ourselves when is the 'right' time to book or not. All this without buyers remorse, too.

bon voyage

yes that is true but ships are full.

Not all ships are full. But the cruise lines (including Celebrity) all use sophisticated "yield management" techniques designed to fill the most berths at the highest average payment per berth. This means that many cruisers will pay different prices from other cruises, your payment depending on a little luck, experience, and your willingness to gamble. In some years DW and I will cruise over 100 days. A majority of those cruises will have been booked pretty far in advance, but we often take advantage of last minute deals (often found from only a small group of favored cruise agencies). Some of our last minute deals have been truly spectacular such as a 10 day Regal Princess cruise in the highest category balcony for a total cost of $1200 (total price including taxes for 2 persons) with a $400 On Board Credit. So that particular cruise cost us $40 per passenger/day!

The great deals are still out there, but one needs to be flexible in many ways.

Hank

The great deals are still out there, but one needs to be flexible in many ways.
True, but a lot of folks can't be. Many folks who work and/or have school-age kids either must commit to a vacation months in advance and/or are limited to times when their kids aren't in school. It is what it is.

As to why some folks chose Celebrity vs. Crystal, Regent, etc. . . . we did Crystal and absolutely loved it. Would love to do it again.

However, most of the luxury lines have a limited number of ships and itineraries. What I mean is that, luxury cruises do a handful of itineraries frequently or do very different itineraries but may do each only once a year. Also, the duration of many luxury line cruises (15 to 40 days without travel to/from) makes them impossible for almost anyone who isn't retired.

Celebrity, OTOH, goes lot of places at all times of the year with cruises of varying duration. This makes it easier for working folks/folks with kids to find a cruise that they like and will work for their schedule. And the perceived quality may not be on a par with the luxury lines but is a lot closer than the products of RCCL, NCL, etc.

. If you wait to get the cabin you want on a highly popular ship and itinerary, you will likely not get it very long after release date. That's why a lot of us book early.

its a win win if you are based in the US, book early at a price you are happy with and take advantage of pric edrops if they come.

for the rest of us, we lose our deposits ( £300) each time a price drop occurs.

so it has to be a good drop for it to be worth while for us,

Yes, quite true, yet for us we usually book while aboard a current sailing for the next.

The 2019 sailings were available to book on our 2017 sailing but chose to wait and I Am happy we did, as the fare held steady for several months and then a TA swooped in with a really great deal, after which Verandah prices increased for the sailing at least 12%, since we purchased.

A roll of the dice and we did well, this go round! ;p

Each of us need to decide for ourselves when is the 'right' time to book or not. All this without buyers remorse, too.

bon voyage

The European prices are nowhere as cheap as the Caribbean pricing, no matter how far in advance you book - unless, of course, we have the troubles like a few years ago when prices plummeted and suites were a pinch (I remember HostJazz trying her first suite as the prices were so low). Equinox was then moved year-round to the Caribbean, so back up the prices went.

As others have pointed out, we can travel (sometimes business class) to the States on long haul flights and have 11/12 nights cruising for less than a week in the Med. In fact, it’s less next year for our family to sail on Princess for two weeks to New England than 7 nights in the Med on X, both cruises in the school holidays (and we could pick up a budget flight for 2/3hrs to mainland Europe for next to nothing and it still works out more expensive :o).

I still think those prices will have to start falling in order for them to sail full. Remember, the difference is that many US pax can cancel right up to FP whereas those booking this side of the pond don’t have that option. Look at the difference in the responses from CCers on this thread. Many of the U.K. cruisers are the ones that are saying they are looking elsewhere, and they will definitely adhere to what they book or risk losing all their deposits.

The European prices are nowhere as cheap as the Caribbean pricing, no matter how far in advance you book - unless, of course, we have the troubles like a few years ago when prices plummeted and suites were a pinch (I remember HostJazz trying her first suite as the prices were so low). Equinox was then moved year-round to the Caribbean, so back up the prices went.

As others have pointed out, we can travel (sometimes business class) to the States on long haul flights and have 11/12 nights cruising for less than a week in the Med. In fact, it’s less next year for our family to sail on Princess for two weeks to New England than 7 nights in the Med on X, both cruises in the school holidays (and we could pick up a budget flight for 2/3hrs to mainland Europe for next to nothing and it still works out more expensive :o).

I still think those prices will have to start falling in order for them to sail full. Remember, the difference is that many US pax can cancel right up to FP whereas those booking this side of the pond don’t have that option. Look at the difference in the responses from CCers on this thread. Many of the U.K. cruisers are the ones that are saying they are looking elsewhere, and they will definitely adhere to what they book or risk losing all their deposits.

Yes, I can appreciate the different perspectives and approaches each of us have towards cruising on both sides of the pond and ports.

The Caribbean for us is becoming quite familiar and it is time to venture out to other parts of the world. We would enjoy sailings to Africa, Asia, and mid-East destinations.

Yet, understand how others will sail based solely on price, we do consider price but also want our destinations now as primary interests.

bon voyage

Stands to reason that Med sailings are pricier than Caribbean ones. Caribbean is a full year market while Med is only part year. Caribbean gets downright crowded in the winter after ships reposition from Europe.

Yesterday all the cruise stocks got hammered after Morgan Stanley cut earnings estimates largely because a survey of travel agents cited oversupply in the Caribbean.

I really wish folks would stop claiming that "ships sail full" is a sign of strength. Just about every ship just about always sails full. What matters is how much they had to slash prices to fill those last cabins.

Stands to reason that Med sailings are pricier than Caribbean ones. Caribbean is a full year market while Med is only part year. Caribbean gets downright crowded in the winter after ships reposition from Europe.

Yesterday all the cruise stocks got hammered after Morgan Stanley cut earnings estimates largely because a survey of travel agents cited oversupply in the Caribbean.

I really wish folks would stop claiming that "ships sail full" is a sign of strength. Just about every ship just about always sails full. What matters is how much they had to slash prices to fill those last cabins.

See post #60 and add to the list Hurricane season. I would be concerned with all the new builds and the increased debt service it will create for the cruise lines.

Not sure this is an accurate statement in reference to 'a sign of strength' vs a sign that they fill their cabins regardless of what they have to do to achieve capacity level.

I do not think that they have to slash much to get there as often on our sailings we have some of the lowest prices offered and then go up from there... yet intellectually I know there are ships which require help in getting full a/k/a price cutting, increased perks, etc...

I have not followed RCCL's earnings, are they stable, up or down over the last few years? What about passenger load as well?

bon voyage

Not sure this is an accurate statement in reference to 'a sign of strength' vs a sign that they fill their cabins regardless of what they have to do to achieve capacity level.

I do not think that they have to slash much to get there as often on our sailings we have some of the lowest prices offered and then go up from there... yet intellectually I know there are ships which require help in getting full a/k/a price cutting, increased perks, etc...

I have not followed RCCL's earnings, are they stable, up or down over the last few years? What about passenger load as well?

bon voyage

According to the last few earnings calls their earnings have been up with strong future bookings. That's one reason why stock price hit a new all time high before falling back recently.

Very true. Even in the depths of the Great Recession, all ships sailed full We sailed around 20 times between 2007 and 2011 and pax load during those years probably averaged 98 or 99%. Of course, we were paying 1/3 to 1/2 of the prices that they seem to be getting (or trying to get). Thus, our cruises "in the hopper" have decreased dramatically (and most of those are with other lines). Can't see paying nosebleed prices (or sometimes more than premium lines) to sail =X=, no matter how much we love and loved sailing with them. Just not worth anywhere near the $$$ they want for the places (non-Caribbean) we would like to go.

Yes, I can appreciate the different perspectives and approaches each of us have towards cruising on both sides of the pond and ports.

The Caribbean for us is becoming quite familiar and it is time to venture out to other parts of the world. We would enjoy sailings to Africa, Asia, and mid-East destinations.

Yet, understand how others will sail based solely on price, we do consider price but also want our destinations now as primary interests.

bon voyage

We very much enjoy the Celebrity product but our budget is a max of £3000 for our holiday for the cruise segment and we always take a two week main holiday. Given that to stay with Celebrity we actually have little or no choice in the destination. End of the day it’s the same product for twice the price in the med and out of our budget. Thank goodness for the Carribbean and it’s relative lack of popularity these days.

A tale of two sailings:

June 25 2019, 7 nights on RSS Voyager Spain, France & Balearics in Veranda Suite (300 sq feet) £4099 pp

June 15th 7 nights in an S3 (comparable room size) over £4500pp.

Yes you get butler and Luminae and the other suite perks (not sure how many these are for us Brits as I've not travelled suite class) in this price but you get all in with Regent including premium drinks and the airfare.

This just shows that the battle lines are blurring at the upper end of the market.

And just so you know I think both prices are high. For that I can fly out business class to my favourite golf hotel in Mauritius for two weeks in the middle of our winter. If I had the choice a land based holiday would have to come out on top.

LLP is just doing her job. If all their ships are sailing full, it's obvious they are charging enough. All the extras on board such as drinks and specialty restaurants should be raised accordingly. If bookings drop, cut it back a bit. It is their obligation to their shareholders to maximize their investments. Big raises and bonuses is their own personal motivation.

his. [Just sayin']

Not sure why folks are convinced that all cruises sail full. It is simply not true. Yes, some cruises are completely full but there are plenty of others with empty berths. The cruise lines do try to unload their unsold inventory, even if it means giving the cabins away. There are sometimes last minute deals accessible through various cruise agencies (the best deals are usually not advertised but simply made available to those who have registered their e-mails with the agency for last minute deals). Cruise lines can also unload excess space by offering big discounts on interline sites which are exclusive to those who work in the travel industry. In fact, we have dined with several airline pilots while on Celebrity cruises who snagged some amazing last minute deals.

And then there are cabins that are offered to employees, port workers, etc. There are lots of strategies to fill those empty berths, but this does not mean the cruise line is selling that space at anywhere near the price paid by most cruisers. So even when you hear that a ship is completely full it does not mean its full of passengers who paid the normal price.

Hank

Not sure why folks are convinced that all cruises sail full. It is simply not true. Yes, some cruises are completely full but there are plenty of others with empty berths. The cruise lines do try to unload their unsold inventory, even if it means giving the cabins away. There are sometimes last minute deals accessible through various cruise agencies (the best deals are usually not advertised but simply made available to those who have registered their e-mails with the agency for last minute deals). Cruise lines can also unload excess space by offering big discounts on interline sites which are exclusive to those who work in the travel industry. In fact, we have dined with several airline pilots while on Celebrity cruises who snagged some amazing last minute deals.

And then there are cabins that are offered to employees, port workers, etc. There are lots of strategies to fill those empty berths, but this does not mean the cruise line is selling that space at anywhere near the price paid by most cruisers. So even when you hear that a ship is completely full it does not mean its full of passengers who paid the normal price.

Hank

You are so right, this is just like airline seats... the same approach, often.

The ship will sail full or practically regardless of how they do it and many airplanes will fly full or practically regardless of how they do it.

End result for both, little or no inventory available at time of sailing or flight.

bon voyage

Hank

Correct: most times they do fill them but at prices well below that of the ‘regular’ pax.

And 'thirding' Hank's post. I know some years ago Royal Caribbean trialled sailings from southern Spain. There was a quite a lot of spare itinerary around final payment yet ships sailed full. I understand there were massive discounts for the Spanish travel industry, not available elsewhere.

Hi just wanted to jump in on this--we are Elite + with Celebrity and have 4 more cruises booked with them. There seem to be more deals for us on their Asian cruises than Med or Caribbean.

However we have also booked 3 MSC Yacht Club for 3 cruises next year (8 weeks total) due to the price increases on Celebrity.

Liz

Hi just wanted to jump in on this--we are Elite + with Celebrity and have 4 more cruises booked with them. There seem to be more deals for us on their Asian cruises than Med or Caribbean.

However we have also booked 3 MSC Yacht Club for 3 cruises next year (8 weeks total) due to the price increases on Celebrity.

Liz[/quote ]

The Yacht Club is great and the cost quite reasonable. It's the only way to travel n MSC