Newer Ships: Noise from Connecting Rooms?

jhannah

Past threads have discussed noise coming from a connecting cabin. Some folks say, "Never again," while others say they heard nothing more from next door than they did from the hall.

I'm wondering if the newer ships have been better designed to handle sound from next door coming from the space between the stateroom doors.. Can anyone who has sailed a newer ship lately in a connecting room shed any light on this? Would appreciate the input.

The Royal had connecting interior doors put in recently. Don't know if they are more or less soundproof but we heard everything going on next door.

I don't think it is being sensitive when you can clearly hear private conversations over their TV playing music and our TV playing a movie.

Edited by pshaze

The Royal had connecting interior doors put in recently. Don't know if they are more or less soundproof but we heard everything going on next door.

I don't think it is being sensitive when you can clearly hear private conversations over their TV playing music and our TV playing a movie.

Loud talkers maybe?

well, if you could hear their TV playing music - maybe they could hear your TV playing a movie and felt the need to talk louder?:confused:

well, if you could hear their TV playing music - maybe they could hear your TV playing a movie and felt the need to talk louder?:confused:

Actually we were super careful to be really quiet. Figured if we could hear them they could hear us. They were usually in their cabin already playing the music/TV when we came in and we kept the TV volume low.

If I can actually hear and understand somebody else's private conversations, etc...

That is not being too sensitive. Nope, not IMHO.

That sounds like inadequate soundproofing, the drawbacks to that connecting door, and MAYBE, just maybe the guest were a little loud.

I do consider connecting cabins to be a factor when planning a cruise.

If I can actually hear and understand somebody else's private conversations, etc...

That is not being too sensitive. Nope, not IMHO.

That sounds like inadequate soundproofing, the drawbacks to that connecting door, and MAYBE, just maybe the guest were a little loud.

I do consider connecting cabins to be a factor when planning a cruise.

+1

I am not sure why someone would say that 'complainers' are the only ones that would mention that the noise from another room would bother them.

I've been in rooms where we've heard the steward vacuuming and even heard people snoring, amongst all sorts of other noise from the room next door in a connecting cabin ... and yes, that sounds like inadequate soundproofing to me. Celebrity has done a great job with how they've designed their connecting rooms ... not so on many other cruis elines.

The ships with connecting rooms are a little more susceptible to allowing noise from the adjoining room. The sounds travel around & under the connecting doors.

On one of our trips I recall the people next door keep their balcony door open often which caused a whistle of air being sucked out of our cabin.

a simple rolled up towel helped a bit.

I now try to avoid booking these rooms whenever possible.

Thanks for your thoughts. Any more? We plan to sail Majestic Princess next year and are interested in one of the angled/extended balconies under the Sea Walk. We enjoy time outside, and the extra space would be great.

We had a connecting room on the Royal and the door was added during a drydock. The big gap on the bottom allowed all kinds of sounds into our room including our neighbors sneezing, talking at normal volume, etc. The steward knew all about it and gave us extra towels to stuff under the door which helped somewhat but it was still noisier than being in a cabin without the adjoining cabin door. Although the soundproofing is likely better when the door is installed during the initial build, we do check for whether or not the cabin is connecting when booking.

I've never heard anything from any adjoining cabin (connecting or otherwise) except once when 2 young women were having a cat fight! It was so loud the steward had to go check on their welfare! After he had a talk to them never hear another peep.

If you’ve seen all the shows on a particular ship, a connecting room and the free provided entertainment can be quite enjoyable. I suggest stopping to get some popcorn before heading to your stateroom for the show. :cool:

Hahaha!!!!

And, sound goes both ways....

I would hate to think that my husband and I are the the ones providing the entertainment!!!

I think it's best to simply click on the cabin on the deck plans. If it connects to another cabin then look elsewhere. It's not difficult to do and it avoids any possibility of noise through the connecting doors.

I've never heard anything from any adjoining cabin (connecting or otherwise) except once.....

The only time we heard noises consistently from an adjoining cabin (no connecting doors) was when a person in the next cabin had a bad cough and would be caughing all night long.

Jhannah, I haven't looked at these specific deck plans on the new ship. But, yes, I am thinking that for specific cabins, in specific areas, non-adjoining might be harder to find. On the Princess web-site, I think you have to click on the specific cabin(s) and look at the 'details', which will say "adjoins with xxxxxx".

Also, as mentioned, they have actually added some adjoining doors on some ships. And, I am not sure the Princess web-site shows this. I do think that there is the one membership deck plan web-site that has went in and added the little adjoining symbol onto their deck plans.

• 1 year later...
On 6/12/2018 at 12:20 AM, jhannah said:

Thanks for your thoughts. Any more? We plan to sail Majestic Princess next year and are interested in one of the angled/extended balconies under the Sea Walk. We enjoy time outside, and the extra space would be great.

We are looking at an identical room. Did you book it and if so, how was it please?

Edited by LyleW
spelling error