Balcony value?

Canuker

On my first cruise, I was told it was absolutely a must, so we did it. It was enjoyable. I liked having the couch too. Probably spent about 2 hours total out there. It wasn't worth hundreds of extra dollars for us. One balcony almost rivals the price of a second cruise fare. I'd rather have a second cruise. I don't like staying in the room. There's plenty of spots on the boat to see the ocean.

But I completely understand why some people love it. If you like to relax peacefully, and maybe even read a book, there is probably no better place on the ship to do so. You know there is a quiet seat there for you. Whenever we do an Alaska tour, we will likely do a balcony for that. I'd probably also rather book 1 balcony than 2 interior if I had more people.

Definitely a publicity photo or the person who took the picture is hanging out 10 feet over the railing!

The photo appears to have been taken from the open platform directly under the wing of the bridge.

721-large-aba3b6fd5d186d28e06ff97135cade7f.jpg

Not applicable to balconies, and I am not judging by any means as stateroom selection - as previously mentioned - is a personal choice. But it is interesting that specific to the cruise industry, an inside room with no window is a perfectly acceptable accommodation for a vacation when no one would likely ever accept a hotel room at a resort (or anywhere for that matter) that did not have a window. :)

Not applicable to balconies, and I am not judging by any means as stateroom selection - as previously mentioned - is a personal choice. But it is interesting that specific to the cruise industry, an inside room with no window is a perfectly acceptable accommodation for a vacation when no one would likely ever accept a hotel room at a resort (or anywhere for that matter) that did not have a window. :)

Very interesting point. I never thought of that.

We always book a balcony. For us having views while in our cabin is important. The large window allows lots of light to wash the interior and makes the room cheerful and enjoyable. I often hear people say "We get an inside cabin because we don't spend much time in our cabin." Of course they don't! Who would want to be cooped up in a windowless box for more than they have to. Too depressing to only be able to look at four walls and nothing else while on a cruise with beautiful views all the time. Even at night it's a pleasure to sit outside and see the stars overhead, much better than we ever could at our home in the city with so many lights all around to spoil the view.

We pretty much are only out on our balcony early mornings for coffee and late afternoons prior to getting ready for dinner with a glass of wine. The main reason we choose balcony cabins is not for the balcony, but for the "Wall of windows" looking out. I think if there was such a thing as a cabin with the windows similar to balcony cabins, but no balcony, we'd be just as happy with one of those.

We pretty much are only out on our balcony early mornings for coffee and late afternoons prior to getting ready for dinner with a glass of wine. The main reason we choose balcony cabins is not for the balcony, but for the "Wall of windows" looking out. I think if there was such a thing as a cabin with the windows similar to balcony cabins, but no balcony, we'd be just as happy with one of those.

Many ships have those. Example, the Panoramic OV staterooms with RCI - floor to ceiling windows. Link below:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/multimedia/popup/cabin.do?br=R&cabincls=O&cabinType=AP&shipCode=AD&popuptype=schematicImage

2Q==

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We book balconies for only one reason: My DH insists! I, on the other hand would rather go on 2 cruises in an inside cabin for nearly the same price, where it is quiet and dark and I sleep like a baby! So unfortunate that I never win this "debate or argument." :(

We rarely use the balcony and I would rather be walking around the ship, inside or outside than spending my time cooped up on a small balcony. My DH's reason is that he likes the light during the day and he feels claustrophobic in an inside cabin. So I give in.....as always....like a good wife:)

Happy cruising everyone!

I prefer a balcony, but accept an oceanview if the price is low enough to make that choice.

Unfortunately, our last cruise, our neighbors smoked non-stop on their balcony. Depending on the wind, it was annoying. We did call security, but they couldn't do anything when they showed up.

quote=Canuker;56309158]Attached is a photo of the balconies on a cruise ship.

Sunny day, calm seas. Look at all the people enjoying their balconies.

We had bad results with the balcony we booked .We were advised in advance that the crew would be shellacking the balconies and if anyone had a medical problem to alert them ahead of time ,which we did .

When we returned my CPAP machine had an unbearable odor .I no longer use a CPAP machine and no longer book a balcony.

So lets sum up this revelation. Balcony cabins are not for everyone just like suites are not for everyone. Each cruiser makes their own decision as to the type of cabin they are willing to fund. It is probably true that some folks do not use their balcony enough to justify the additional cost although some might argue that they like the view through the large doors versus small windows. So the answer to "Balcony value?" is it depends on each person's point of view (pun intended).

Hank

I can post anonymous photos with no description as well. ;)

87716379.jpg

Seeing the fellow in the left hand corner reminds me of the time my husband went out on the balcony so my 2 DD’s and I could quickly change out of our wet swimsuits in the cabin. He decided since we were in the middle of the ocean and no one was around he would just change out of his wet swimsuit and into some dry clothes while he was out there. Little did he know a large yacht full of people was passing by. The whistles, hoots, and hollers were quite loud and hilarious. I don't think I’ve ever laughed so hard in my life. ;p:')

I prefer a balcony, but accept an oceanview if the price is low enough to make that choice.

Unfortunately, our last cruise, our neighbors smoked non-stop on their balcony. Depending on the wind, it was annoying. We did call security, but they couldn't do anything when they showed up.

For future reference if you contact Guest Services - especially as it is happening - they will send someone (or place a call) to the offenders stateroom. There is a $250 cleaning penalty that can be assessed - and applied more than once if it continues.

Personal Choice !

We love having a balcony. Others may hate it, or prefer to spend some of their budget on other facilities.

Just last January, we cruised around part of South America. . We went up on deck to see Amalia Glacier and decided we preferred to look out from our personal space rather than being shoved about as others hustled for position at the rail !

When we reached Cape Horn we stayed on our balcony..fortunately for us, it was on 'our' side of the ship. Due to weather conditions the captain was unable to turn the ship for the other side's balcony cabins to view it. In those circumstances would have to go up on deck.

More social passengers might enjoy meeting new friends.

It is all a matter of choice...as most things in life are !

I was on this cruise in February, and my balcony got a lot of use! Cape Horn, the Amalia Glacier, the Beagle Channel, and the night skies! I lucked into an aft balcony, and the views were stupendous.

I was on this cruise in February' date=' and my balcony got a lot of use! Cape Horn, the Amalia Glacier, the Beagle Channel, and the night skies![b'] I lucked into an aft balcony, and the views were stupendous.[[/b]/quote]

...which adds a whole new element to the conversation - location! And I agree with you - aft facing balconies are one of our favorites and two of our next three cruises are booked in one. (The third wasn't available when we booked, or we would have with that one as well). :)

Again, no judgements - just personal choice.

Attached is a photo of the balconies on a cruise ship.

Sunny day, calm seas. Look at all the people enjoying their balconies.

Balcony is absolutely worth it if you use it! We travel with others and have the steward open the dividers and create a mega balcony. I spend more time on the balcony than the sun deck. It's private,relaxing, and quiet. I've been next to people who have a balcony and I swear they never ever used it. If you don't use it you're wasting your $$$$.

My husband sits out on the balcony all the time. Me not so much (I don't do well with heat and am not an outdoorsy person), but I love lounging on the bed reading and having the giant window to look out, and being able to pop outside to look at anything interesting like when we're pulling in and out of port. Most of the oceanview cabins seem to just have a small window above the bed, so its not very useful for seeing out, just letting in a bit of light. Therefore I think a balcony cabin can be enjoyed even if you don't use the actual balcony much.

A balcony adds such a greater dimension for us. We enjoy being able to get up in the middle of the night, going out and looking at the oceans white caps, the stars, lights from other passing ships, and just smelling the wind or seeing the the moon if we are lucky. That is worth it to us.

A balcony adds such a greater dimension for us. We enjoy being able to get up in the middle of the night, going out and looking at the oceans white caps, the stars, lights from other passing ships, and just smelling the wind or seeing the the moon if we are lucky. That is worth it to us.

It's also a good way to check on the weather before getting dressed in the morning. Sunny and warm - shorts and t-shirts. Overcast and cold - long pants and jacket.

My partner and I both agrees that "if we can't have a balcony, we are not going." I don't care if I never set foot out on the balcony, I love having it for the view and fresh air when I want it, especially in the morning. On our last TA, I think we were out there maybe twice but, it was still worth the expense. People have to do what's right for them and that's Okay.

Sometimes it is difficult to get a balcony one or two weeks prior to sailings.

There are usually insides and some outsides though. The reason....demand. Many cruisers value balcony cabins and are willing to pay for them. It is that simple.

Many cruisers value balcony cabins and are willing to pay for them. It is that simple.

Yep! It's a vacation to get away from our regular day to day activities at home. We aren't going to deny ourselves the best we can afford during those infrequent events. We can scrimp and do things on the cheap back home where we can more easily do so, and when we aren't thousands of miles from our daily routine at home. Staying in windowless boxes isn't our idea of a getaway vacation. Why go on a cruise ship on the ocean and then wall ourselves off from the very thing we are on a ship for in the first place? That would be more like punishment than a vacation. It's like choosing to dine at a nice restaurant and ordering a basic salad and a glass of water to save money.

We're willing to pay for the benefits of a balcony room because we're worth it! :D

We have always cruised in balcony cabins and find them a value to us. We probably spend more time than some and less than others (probably around 1-2 hours total per day), but it is nice to have the option.

We are also usually only in the MDR for 1-2 hours per day, but my cruise would not be as enjoyable without it as an option;)