Free Promos are Not Free

Djptcp

You get people on CC that in their eyes NCL can do no wrong, opposition to them gets you so much abuse, it’s hard to be critical.

Some believe that tipping is essential even if the service is crap, I’ve been told by them to use another cruise line, just because I’ve complained about the Haven with kids running riot... and you’re on an ignore list, by some boring no all? You can’t win

Off topic I remember in tokyo on a cruise, we walked out our cabin door and heard our cabin steward say something like: "I cant I have two rooms left" Well the employee shuttle was about to leave for downtown tokyo. I knew the room steward was talking about our rooms since we just walked out the door, I told him that is ok we dont need service, go catch the shuttle. So it is not like I don't incredibly appreciate the work they do, but I am not going to double tip. NCL needs to figure that part out, not me.

So, this thread is still lingering on and on...

Two points....

1. I always look at the total amount I’m likely to pay for my cruise vacation. That includes any freebies like OBC, drink packages, dining packages, etc. My last cruise was several months ago on the NCL Gem. Had all the packages. With my OBC, after tips, Service Charges, etc, I came out of pocket for nothing. Matter of fact, NCL mailed a check back to me for $200 for the OBC I didn’t use a couple weeks later.

I compared the Gem cruise to similar cruises on Royal, Princess, MSC and Carnival. For example, I was in a full aft suite, with all the perks, Butler, Concierge, etc for about the same price as a superior Balcony on Royal. Same for Princess. MSC YC was a little less, but I had sailed them in November. Carnival was less, but I wasn’t in the mood for that “experience”.

Again, total cost is the focus....not just one or two charges here or there.

2. It befuddles me that someone believes businesses are required to divulge their process of how they come up with their pricing. I don’t know of any company (or individual) who would divulge their proprietary business pricing process. That’s like asking me how much I make and how I come up with my household budget. Nunya business.

Thanks for your help I will write a letter to NCL and literally use your post as an example. About a week ago give or take we booked a room for a cruise leaving sept 8, now it is $200 less, ncl wont give us anything for it, so I will have to write a letter showing that in the past you helped other people out, why not us?

Off topic I remember in tokyo on a cruise, we walked out our cabin door and heard our cabin steward say something like: "I cant I have two rooms left" Well the employee shuttle was about to leave for downtown tokyo. I knew the room steward was talking about our rooms since we just walked out the door, I told him that is ok we dont need service, go catch the shuttle. So it is not like I don't incredibly appreciate the work they do, but I am not going to double tip. NCL needs to figure that part out, not me.

Totally agree. Lending your iPhone to someone who lonely, and wants to call home, is worth more than any dollar given with a drink

No one has ever ASKED me to tip anyone. Tipping is 100% optional other than the gratuities added to certain packages. If you do not want to tip don't do so. Problem solved.

Haha, so handing you a bill with spaces specifically designated for tips is not “asking” for a tip? Note I never said compulsory nor does the word “asked” imply it is compulsory. I am simply pointing out that ncl has the gall to ask for 2 extra amounts (again note ask not demand) on top of the daily gratuities to cover the meal you did not have in the mdr. Not sure why this is difficult for you to understand or why you felt the need to get aggressive?

I know it is optional hence I used the word asked. If I come onto the thread to “ask” a question I am not demanding a response you can choose to answer or not. So thank you for pointing out something I already knew had already made clear with my simple English. Glad though that you got to make some point you wanted to.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

They don't ask you to tip, there is a line for extra tips if you want to give them and if you don't, then don't.

Again so placing a bill in front of you with areas for suggested gratuities is not asking you?

In fact I have had servers point out the areas to me if we would like to add any gratuities- this is not asking? What should I have said it is kindly helping me in the event I want to tip and don’t know how to haha

You guys who are on these threads day in day out turning anything that is not 100% ncl positive into something hateful to those who question it must surely be working for ncl?

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Again so placing a bill in front of you with areas for suggested gratuities is not asking you?

In fact I have had servers point out the areas to me if we would like to add any gratuities- this is not asking? What should I have said it is kindly helping me in the event I want to tip and don’t know how to haha

They place it on the slip for passengers like me who always leave a tip when I dine in the specialty restaurants, because until recently those of us that cruise in suites didn't pay the 20% gratuity up front. Have never had a server point out a place to leave another tip nor have I ever seen it suggested or asked for an extra tip on the slip nor has anyone forced me to leave a tip. If you choose to tip, that is okay and if you choose to ignore it, that is okay as well.

Tipping is usually between 15%-20% of your bill, (NCL charged me a bit more but that is ok) so if your cruise fare was $2500, the standard tip amount per cruise would be $500, (not including alcohol) some are choosing to pay less then the standard, that is your prerogative.

Some people choose not to read the cruise deal terms fully disclosed on NCL website and come here to complain about being ripped off. Guess what? If you don't bother to do your own homework or make an effort to understand the deal, you deserve to be taken advantage of in the real world.

Some people choose not to read the cruise deal terms fully disclosed on NCL website and come here to complain about being ripped off. Guess what? If you don't bother to do your own homework or make an effort to understand the deal, you deserve to be taken advantage of in the real world.
Correct and all this talk about nickel and diming. Well, folks can only be nickeled and dimed, if they allow it. I've never paid for anything that I didn't want to pay for nor have I ever complained about the cost of something I've paid for, because it was my choice to pay for it and was never forced into any transaction. If I thought the price was too high or a expenditure I shouldn't pay, I just don't purchase it.

Correct and all this talk about nickel and diming. Well folks can only be nickeled and dimed, if they allow it. I've never paid for anything that I didn't want to pay for nor have I ever complained about the cost of something I've paid for, because it was my choice to pay for it and was never forced into any transaction. If I thought the price was too high or a expenditure I shouldn't pay, I just don't purchase it.

Not only do they allow it, they actually agree to it out of their own free will when they happily accepted the cruise contract or chose not to say NO when given the opportunity. But it is always easier to blame the big bad cruise line than to admit they screwed up or made a mistake they now regret.

Good Lord people. I signed the check and TIPPED well on top of that for 3 people (46+% for each person). All I'm trying to do is find out what the 3 charges were for my daughter. I don't have the receipt. I've asked my aunt if she has hers. I'm not complaining about being nickel and dimed. I paid $6,000 for my cruise. I'm certainly not b*tching about the 3 bucks. I still stand by my thinking that $38.96 (pre extra tips) is a lot of money for a vegetarian meal for a 9 year old. Sheesh! Some not-so-nice people here!! (On RCI my daughter's ADULT meals all ranged about $10 and that was before she was a vegetarian so delicious steak dishes for that! And before you tell me to go back to RCI, that decision has already been made!)

So just curious...how does this work? I already PAID gratuities for a 7 night cruise ...so why would I have to pay additional gratuities for the specialty restaurants? Aren't those gratuities already covered in the 7 nights or do I have to pay for 10 nights?

Also - I had incorrect charges on my account (that were removed) - as did others on our cruise so it's definitely a good idea to check your account every day or two.

You are correct, you pay more to be able to select a cabin, in my case NCL wanted an additional $179pp for that opportunity but then I could also select a "free" stuff, so the UBP had a service charge of $195. So for $374pp I can choose from a limited number of staterooms and have the UBP.

Uhm... not worth it for me.

Wow $374 for the "free" for us it was only about $270

Good Lord people. I signed the check and TIPPED well on top of that for 3 people (46+% for each person). All I'm trying to do is find out what the 3 charges were for my daughter. I don't have the receipt. I've asked my aunt if she has hers. I'm not complaining about being nickel and dimed. I paid $6,000 for my cruise. I'm certainly not b*tching about the 3 bucks. I still stand by my thinking that $38.96 (pre extra tips) is a lot of money for a vegetarian meal for a 9 year old. Sheesh! Some not-so-nice people here!! (On RCI my daughter's ADULT meals all ranged about $10 and that was before she was a vegetarian so delicious steak dishes for that! And before you tell me to go back to RCI, that decision has already been made!)

So just curious...how does this work? I already PAID gratuities for a 7 night cruise ...so why would I have to pay additional gratuities for the specialty restaurants? Aren't those gratuities already covered in the 7 nights or do I have to pay for 10 nights?

Also - I had incorrect charges on my account (that were removed) - as did others on our cruise so it's definitely a good idea to check your account every day or two.

Unfortunately, this is the problem. We just don’t know what these charges are on your account. From what you say, they appear to be incorrect, but without the bill, all we can do is speculate.

As for your question about the how the gratuities work, the daily service charge covers the complementary restaurants, but apparently not the speciality restaurants. This is all very vague, especially as the same staff work in both types. However, it is how NCL seems to justify charging the gratuity on the speciality dining (either by adding it to the cost of the package, or to the individual meals if you don’t have the package).

Yes, I would certainly recommend keeping an eye on your bill. Many of us have had incorrect charges at some point or other.

DISCLAIMER - To be clear for those who confuse easily, I am not in any way defending anything here. I am just answering the question asked. Any inability to understand this is your problem, and I can’t be held responsible for it.

Unfortunately, this is the problem. We just don’t know what these charges are on your account. From what you say, they appear to be incorrect, but without the bill, all we can do is speculate.

As for your question about the how the gratuities work, the daily service charge covers the complementary restaurants, but apparently not the speciality restaurants. This is all very vague, especially as the same staff work in both types. However, it is how NCL seems to justify charging the gratuity on the speciality dining (either by adding it to the cost of the package, or to the individual meals if you don’t have the package).

Yes, I would certainly recommend keeping an eye on your bill. Many of us have had incorrect charges at some point or other.

DISCLAIMER - To be clear for those who confuse easily, I am not in any way defending anything here. I am just answering the question asked. Any inability to understand this is your problem, and I can’t be held responsible for it.

Just to further clarify, the workers in the specialty restaurants ARE eligible for the programs funded by the Daily Service Charge. The 20% gratuity added to the bill is awarded on top of that. This is the incentive for the crew to earn a spot working in a specialty restaurant.

Sorry you thought the meal cost to much.

The servers in the specialty restaurants are not part of the DSC that you paid, at least that is what NCL says.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Ok, I thought you were complaining about the bill being $62. It clearly states Teppanaki is 29.95, doesn’t matter if you order vegetarian or the steak and shrimp, one price, with a 20% gratuity plus a specialty service charge, so the $38.96 is 100% the published cost. But it also states

“Pricing will be adjusted onboard for children ordering from the complimentary kids menu.“

Did your daughter order from this menu?

Haha, so handing you a bill with spaces specifically designated for tips is not “asking” for a tip? Note I never said compulsory nor does the word “asked” imply it is compulsory. I am simply pointing out that ncl has the gall to ask for 2 extra amounts (again note ask not demand) on top of the daily gratuities to cover the meal you did not have in the mdr. Not sure why this is difficult for you to understand or why you felt the need to get aggressive?

I know it is optional hence I used the word asked. If I come onto the thread to “ask” a question I am not demanding a response you can choose to answer or not. So thank you for pointing out something I already knew had already made clear with my simple English. Glad though that you got to make some point you wanted to.

Cruises surely can’t be the first time you have encountered this. Every meal eating out the receipt has an extra line for the tip, with suggested amounts. Every time I order take out, whether from a sit down restaurant or a pizza joint and I charge it, I am given a receipt to sign that has an extra line for a tip. Personally I always give them a tip even though I wasn’t served since someone still had to put the order together. This is nothing new. I dont know about other countries, but in the US this is common.

Thanks for your help I will write a letter to NCL and literally use your post as an example. About a week ago give or take we booked a room for a cruise leaving sept 8, now it is $200 less, ncl wont give us anything for it, so I will have to write a letter showing that in the past you helped other people out, why not us?

Have no idea what this means, but feel free to use my post!

I see you chose to reply without having the common decency to actually read my post.

As you are now on my ignore list you can respond away as much as you want, and I will not have to waste my time reading your nonsensical posts any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How exactly do you put someone on ignore? There are several people that I wanted to do this to, but can’t figure out how.

How exactly do you put someone on ignore? There are several people that I wanted to do this to, but can’t figure out how.

Go to your log in name on the right hand side. Hit and go to edit options. Then go to the left hand side where it says settings and options. Then got to Ignore list, add the members name and hit okay

Alli can say is I payed 20% gratuity already for my dining package. That is all I will give for gratuity. No obligation to give more.

You are 100% correct. You are not required to give anything more. But, you do have the option, too. Enjoy all of your meals and don't feel obligated to leave any thing more than your signature.