Free Promos are Not Free

Djptcp

There is sometimes where a thread just needs to die. I nominate this thread to be one of those.

Although, I guarantee that after I post this there will be at least twenty more posts.

;p

This thread needs to be kept alive.

Actually it needs to be a sticky, for everyone researching NCL after seeing one of their deceptive promos.

Free at Sea anyone?

Actually it needs to be a sticky, for everyone researching NCL after seeing one of their deceptive promos.

Free at Sea anyone?

I don’t know why people think they’ll get anything free in life. There’s no free healthcare There’s no free school lunches. There’s no free anything. Except air. Until the GOVT figures out to how to treat it as a utility so they can charge us for that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don’t know why people think they’ll get anything free in life. There’s no free healthcare There’s no free school lunches. There’s no free anything. Except air. Until the GOVT figures out to how to treat it as a utility so they can charge us for that.

I agree. There is nothing free, but there are good/bad deals for particular people in particular situations.

I’d call UPD somewhat deceptive if people were finding out about 20% after boarding a ship.

I can name many more deceptive things on cruises (all lines), but this is not one of them.

Free at Sea anyone?

Which mainstream cruise line offers free drinks? I’ll hang up and listen.

Or any that offer them for just the gratuities? I may know that one.

Free at Sea anyone?

I think that you've been taken in by clever marketing-speak. When they say Free at Sea, they are using free as an adjective, not an adverb. Same as in "Free" style.

I agree this thread should be closed.

You can’t find out about the 20% after you board, you have already paid for it.

I love UBP, wouldn’t cruise without it, love the free at sea promos, as do all my friends who cruise NCL.

Thanks, didn't know that ports were different.

I thought the Bliss left at 5:00, so maybe they were a tad late in leaving and there are some folks, like me, who do like to eat early especially if it is a travel day.

It takes a while to get out of WA waters when you leave from Seattle.... so if the taxes are applied while in WA waters and not just within sight of Seattle proper, you could be taxed for a while.

That said, I only remember seeing signs about drinks.

For anyone who is serious about closing a thread, what you do is hit the triangle at the top, right hand side of a post. Doing so will alert a moderator who will decide whether the thread gets closed or remains open.

Which mainstream cruise line offers free drinks? I’ll hang up and listen.

Or any that offer them for just the gratuities? I may know that one.

MSC qualify as mainstream? They don't charge anything for their drinks included packages which they are offering I think on all cruises to US purchasers right now.

NCL calling this a gratuity is a bit disingenuous. While I am sure it technically goes to the staff it replaces what otherwise would be wages so saves the line money. The service charge is far more than I would spend on alcohol so personally I have refused the promo. I guess it depends on your perspective but I feel like it makes the atmosphere on board better as most people have the package and are enjoying themselves. Maybe the ropes courses aren't as busy as they once were as everyone is drunk?

There is sometimes where a thread just needs to die. I nominate this thread to be one of those.

Although, I guarantee that after I post this there will be at least twenty more posts.

;p

You were correct.

In fairness, quite a bit of the discussion in the last few days was a legitimate discussion to try to work out what made up Donna_In_India's bill.

It's a shame that bit got derailed by the people who don't seem to understand that "Nickel and Dime" isn't the answer to every question in the world. :)

Agreed it needs to be here so everyone can see what is going on with NCL.

There is nothing " going on " with NCL , they is people read/understand what they are paying for.

NOTHING is free, the cost is ALWAYS built in somewhere.

That's corporate America, not exclusive to NCL.

There is nothing " going on " with NCL , they is people read/understand what they are paying for.

Fine. So what's wrong with keeping the message alive so others less informed than yourself can see the information?

People often do research before they book.

These same questions and comments come up all the time because it is not clear (by design), especially to new cruisers or people who have cruised other lines that offer perks.

A 20% gratuity based on an inflated package value? Not the norm across the lines.

Information should not be swept away just because frequent posters are tired of seeing it.

Edited by ukbecky
clarity

People often do research before they book.

These same questions and comments come up all the time because it is not clear (by design), especially to new cruisers or people who have cruised other lines that offer perks.

A 20% gratuity based on an inflated package value? Not the norm across the lines.

The thing is....the TOTAL is given before anyone even enters their personal information or payment information.

What happens is that people go through the booking process, enter their info, make a down payment, then ask "What is this promo service charge?.....Why isn't it free?....Why does NCL charge this when xxxxx doesn't?...."

If people would look at their total and what that includes instead of worrying about how much goes where and for what, people would complain less.

MSC qualify as mainstream? They don't charge anything for their drinks included packages which they are offering I think on all cruises to US purchasers right now.

I was under the impression that MSC based drinks etc based on which “ experience” you chose. Every step up involved an extra charge.

Bottom line, compare the entire cost based on your needs and sail where you are comfortable.mm

;p

Yeah, like wow, all this over the olde NCL nickel and dime routine and people wonder why my wife and I refuse invitations for dinner?, oh my gosh get forced to listen to all these type of stories over dinner, I'd rather poke needles in my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand the philosophy and agree, however NCL is calling it free and it clearly is not, a lot of people are tricked by this. Just like when a rental car company sais you can buy gas at $2.22 per tank, vs $2.70 per gallon at the local gas station. You see the trick here? Some people dont and get rolled. It is deceptive marketing practice.

Nothing "going on"? Sure there is, NCL is trying to maximize profits and is using typical marketing techniques to assist. Things like over emphasizing positives and minimizing (to the extent that law permits) negatives. This thread helps people work out the actual impact on their potential purchase. What is wrong with that?