Tipping Before Service

Does any one tip their stateroom attendant, head waiter or assistant waiter on the first day of the cruise when asking for specific things like and fresh ice bucket, robes in the room , getting out for dinner by a certain time frame? Does anyone do this and do you thing it encourages better service?

Does any one tip their stateroom attendant, head waiter or assistant waiter on the first day of the cruise when asking for specific things like and fresh ice bucket, robes in the room , getting out for dinner by a certain time frame? Does anyone do this and do you thing it encourages better service?

Never!

And to those that say they get better service? They can't possibly know that.

No, and most of those things you mentioned are nothing special, and most are in fact just part of their job. EVERYONE can get ice 2 times per day (I am not sure why folks seem to think they need to tip in advance to get ice), many should already receive a robe to wear as part of their C&A status, the dining staff will generally ask if you have show reservations etc ( especially on ships with varied entertainment) . If you are not entitled to a robe to wear and ask and get one, then a small "Thank you" tip might be in order.

We auto tip and also often tip a bit extra the last day. We generally receive terrific service throughout the cruise.

M

I have on occasion and do not know if it makes a difference, but since I was going to do it anyway, some before and some at the end versus all at the end should not make things worse and may help a bit. I have never been anything but pleased with the service I have received, but do not know how or if additional tipping before the end affected the service.

I gave the steward $10 and asked for a lounger. I got a lounger.

And that is not something I was entitled to.

Here's a question.

Do you give the extra tip in the middle of a B2B?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have done it both ways on another line and received the same great service in both cases.

I gave the steward $10 and asked for a lounger. I got a lounger.

And that is not something I was entitled to.

Here's a question.

Sometimes.

Nope. And none of the requests in the original post should necessitate such. Those are pretty basic things. To me it would be akin to giving a waiter in a restaurant a coupe of bucks to bring me a glass of water. At the end of the cruise we do give an additional cash gratuity on top of the gratuities charged by the cruise line.

Tipping before service is not a "tip". It's also awkward for the steward. Asking for ice twice a day is not a special thing either. If you ask they will gladly provide it.

Seriously? I've never seen a steward who didn't happily pocket the cash.

As for special, I don't feel like I need to tip for special service. I tip because I want to and as a way to say thanks. Special service just means a larger tip.

Here's a question.

Yes. Once we had a steward who I considered not tipping between cruises, but, in the end, I did. I figure a few bucks doesn't mean much to me, but, it likely means a lot to the staff.

Yes. Remember you may have different room attendant and MDR servers on the second leg!
Correct on the MDR staff, but you should be able to ascertain the cabin steward staying with the cabin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's also awkward for the steward. .

Immediately taking the money from my hand with a huge smile on their face and big thank you, sure is a strange way of showing how its awkward for them :)

My last Royal cruise, my mom said she would like to have a robe. Her Gold loyalty level did not entitle her to such. The cabin attendant immediately went and got her one. He got a nice tip.

I do not.

When I was a relatively new cruiser, based on some posts on Cruise Critic, I tipped our cabin steward up front.

Worst service EVER.

I tip at the end.

On another line, but this exactly. The posts were to leave a tip and a note on the first day. Never received what I had asked for (empty the mini fridge and regular coffee pods, not decaf). And literally NEVER SAW the steward the entire cruise.

Yes, I slipped my steward $20 when I first encountered her. And then I never asked for ice.

That is wonderful. So, you must have initially asked your steward to make sure you had ice daily...correct? That is what I think most of us do. The difference is, we didn't have to pay to make sure he did his job, so I don't really understand what you are trying to say.

Did you see sign in stateroom? It says, if you want ice, ask for it. Same with a robe. If you want a fast dinner, ask for it. None of these items are "better service" but are the expected service. You will hand them a $20.00 bill and ask for ice. I will ask for ice and say thank you. Both buckets will be filled, mine will just be filled $20.00 cheaper.

I expect the best service possible. It's there job. At the end of the cruise, I will make the decision of how to tip extra. Bribing does not work but in a fantasy world.

If I have extra requests, I would tip a little extra at the time they are fulfilled, not before, with a thank you. Once had a steward who gave me a hard time about getting a robe (was Platinum and in a JS at the time) but eventually provided it. The lounge type chair on the balcony was missing its stool. She said that would be impossible to replace. Needless to say she got nothing extra and I was glad I didn’t pretip.

Cruising related social media. Where people spend way too much time worrying about and criticizing how other people do things, what they wear to dinner and sometimes we even get unwatned parenting 101 thrown in as well. I sure am glad its not like this on the actual cruises.