Just like Carnival?

I remember when my wife and I first started cruising. Our first was aboard a Carnival ship. My wife and I really liked it. Our second cruise was on a Royal Caribbean and then we found out what we were missing and essentially what cruising was supposed to be. 10 years and 10 cruises later, gone are the ice sculptures and food sculptures. Gone are the savory bites. Gone is the elegance of dinner. Now they ask we order all three courses at one time? Don’t get me wrong, we still enjoy cruising and doubt we will go back to Carnival but the elegance is missing. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might want to give Carnival’s new ships a try. The abundant free food choices are amazing. And the mattresses are actually comfortable. But you won’t find any formal atmosphere on those ships, but hey they are the fun ships.

My last Carnival Cruise will hopefully be my last Carnival Cruise. Completely disgusting. Like being in an episode of Cops but without the cops. Tables full of loudmouth, profane drunks in the dining room dressed like they just got out of a crack house. Nope I’m done.

I remember when my wife and I first started cruising. Our first was aboard a Carnival ship. My wife and I really liked it. Our second cruise was on a Royal Caribbean and then we found out what we were missing and essentially what cruising was supposed to be. 10 years and 10 cruises later, gone are the ice sculptures and food sculptures. Gone are the savory bites. Gone is the elegance of dinner. Now they ask we order all three courses at one time? Don’t get me wrong, we still enjoy cruising and doubt we will go back to Carnival but the elegance is missing. What are your thoughts?

I agree with you 100% If you think cruise's were great 10 years ago, they were simply amazing 35 years ago. You were treated like a king and queen back then. Buffet's started at 5:30 am and stopped at 1:30 am. Dress up every night for dinner.

Cost to cruise on Royal has dropped over the years, they did away with lot of things. But you have choice pay more for extras, better meals, a Full Suite on the newer ships. That for about what an Ocean View cabin cost 30yrs ago...

Cost to cruise on Royal has dropped over the years, they did away with lot of things. But you have choice pay more for extras, better meals, a Full Suite on the newer ships. That for about what an Ocean View cabin cost 30yrs ago...

You know, people always say this...

Perhaps 30 years ago, I didn't cruise then, but I could get a balcony 10 years ago for what an inside costs today.

You know, people always say this...

Perhaps 30 years ago, I didn't cruise then, but I could get a balcony 10 years ago for what an inside costs today.

10 years ago the country was in a terrible recession. When the next one hits you can probably expect to cruise cheaper again lol.

Imho, I don't think there is much difference between Royal and Carnival (or Norwegian). I just wouldn't go over spring break, or on a 3 day cruise. The prices are about the same, and all three offer much less than they used to. The prices have come down considerably, so I guess it is now like "a la carte" for all those extras that were once included.

In today's cruising world I'd say if you want a little more elegance give Celebrity or Princess a try. If you want an actual luxury/elegant experience and are willing to spend the money there are the "Luxury" lines like Crystal, Silversea, Seabourne, Regent Seven Seas. The budget lines are moving more towards the really casual/laid back atmosphere, which some people prefer (I'm one of them, but I know plenty of people who want a more refined experience)

These days there's pretty much a cruise line for any type of cruiser.

In today's cruising world I'd say if you want a little more elegance give Celebrity or Princess a try. If you want an actual luxury/elegant experience and are willing to spend the money there are the "Luxury" lines like Crystal, Silversea, Seabourne, Regent Seven Seas. The budget lines are moving more towards the really casual/laid back atmosphere, which some people prefer (I'm one of them, but I know plenty of people who want a more refined experience)

These days there's pretty much a cruise line for any type of cruiser.

I don't think that I'd call them "budget lines". "Mass market" lines would be more accurate. :)

Speaking of RCI’s savoury bites, on Serenade in April l, I asked our waiter why we can’t get them any more. Every night after that, there was a plate with 8 or 10 of them waiting for us every night.

My first cruise was in 1986 on Carnival. My second cruise was on Princess and I have never returned to Carnival. You may want to give them a try. They actually still have about a 90% participation on formal night it you enjoy that. Celebrity has given up on formal nights altogether and from what I have been reading here it seems that Royal still calls them formal nights but there doesn't seem to be much participation. The buffets and main dining room is better on Princess. I wasn't impressed with the food on Celebrity.

I agree with you 100% If you think cruise's were great 10 years ago, they were simply amazing 35 years ago. You were treated like a king and queen back then. Buffet's started at 5:30 am and stopped at 1:30 am. Dress up every night for dinner.

You can still get that.

But on a luxury line, at prices that are comparable to the old days, but a LOT higher than the mass market lines.

Old saying, "Champagne tastes, on a beer budget." People want the luxuries and amenities, but don't want to pay the price.

Imho, I don't think there is much difference between Royal and Carnival (or Norwegian). I just wouldn't go over spring break, or on a 3 day cruise. The prices are about the same, and all three offer much less than they used to. The prices have come down considerably, so I guess it is now like "a la carte" for all those extras that were once included.

Haven't done NCL yet (would like to try it but so little time and $$) but overall I agree RC and Carnival offer a pretty similar value, experience, and fellow clientele for the dollar. Since we like Carnival, saying the two are just alike per the OP is not an insult.

RC feels very slightly more exclusive as compared to Carnival's welcome-aboard-everyone vibe but in truth the actual passengers looked exactly the same. A la carte pricing as currently offered really does not bother me as most of the extra stuff being peddled is of little interest so I feel I get a bargain by not having those costs bundled into our fare.

I can see why someone prefers one of those brands over another, but for us the differences are too minor to matter. DH feels that the Carnival Hub app with cheap onboard texting is "almost" a deal breaker in favor of Carnival over RC, but then for the itinerary and dates we need we are happily going RC again next year.

We have gone on spring break the last 2 years as we have a 12 year old in public school, so we just accept the max capacity ships and influx of a bajillion kids, which to me are a lot more of a visible presence than the much feared college partiers. Of course like others we would do off-season if circumstances allowed, more for the discount and less of a crowded feel than the need to be away from certain kinds of passengers.