Dinner Reservations??

cambriah

We have taken many Princess cruises but have always elected the early seating where you would dine with the same fellow cruisers every night.

On our next Princess cruise in October, we have selected the "Anytime Dining option".

Since we prefer to eat early -- 5:30/6:00 PM, -- are guests permitted to make reservations in advance before the cruise begins?

I recall on Celebrity Cruise Line, you could make dinner reservations in advance for the entire cruise, on line, after the final payment was made.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cambriah

Anytime dining means that you go at a time that suits you. You can change your time each day. If you want a time in the 5:30-6:00 range every day, you'll want to select "traditional dining" and the early option. No, you cannot select "any time" and then make a reservation in advance for each day--if that's what you want to do, you should probably stick with a line that does things that way. But if you know you want that time every day, why not select "traditional" and request a table size that you like...from 2 to 8?

SOME ships allow you to make "same day" anytime reservation by calling that morning. This preserves the ability to change daily.

Anytime dining means that you go at a time that suits you. You can change your time each day. If you want a time in the 5:30-6:00 range every day' date=' you'll want to select "traditional dining" and the early option. No, you cannot select "any time" and then make a reservation in advance for each day--if that's what you want to do, you should probably stick with a line that does things that way. But if you know you want that time every day, why not select "traditional" and request a table size that you like...from 2 to 8?

SOME ships allow you to make "same day" anytime reservation by calling that morning. This preserves the ability to change daily.[/quote']

Agree.....they should just do Traditional Dining....I do not think Princess should allow any reservations for ATD because it defeats the purpose and I am glad they make people call that morning and try and make a reservation each night....:(

On our next Princess cruise in October, we have selected the "Anytime Dining option".

Since we prefer to eat early -- 5:30/6:00 PM, -- are guests permitted to make reservations in advance before the cruise begins?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cambriah

No pre-cruise reservations. Most maitre'd's allow limited ATD reservations. You call the dine line each morning for an ATD reservation that evening. If you speak with the maitre'd once on board they may be able to reserve for the days you wish to dine in the DR. I have not experienced reservations on boarding day. On most cruises if you arrive at 5:30 you are seated fairly quickly. 6:00 tends to be a peak time. Tables to share are normally easier to get than tables for two.

Anytime dining means that you go at a time that suits you. You can change your time each day. If you want a time in the 5:30-6:00 range every day' date=' you'll want to select "traditional dining" and the early option. No, you cannot select "any time" and then make a reservation in advance for each day--if that's what you want to do, you should probably stick with a line that does things that way. But if you know you want that time every day, why not select "traditional" and request a table size that you like...from 2 to 8?

SOME ships allow you to make "same day" anytime reservation by calling that morning. This preserves the ability to change daily.[/quote']

Some Princess ships also allow you to make dining reservations for the majority of your cruise in the anytime dining room once on board.

I know, it defeats the purpose of anytime dining but it is allowed for some people. I know quite a few people who do this, especially when on b2bs.

Princess does allow reservations for those with AD. The reservation line opens at 8a each morning. There is a limit on the number of reservations they will take each day.

This really varies ship to ship. On our recent cruise on Sapphire the line did not open until 10:00 AM so was essentially useless on port days as we were generally already off the ship. On the other hand we usually got straight in, especially since we were willing to either sit as a two or sit with a group depending on what was most readily available. Longest we waited was about 20 mins on one occasion.

The anytime DR allows any pax to make a standing reservation for whatever time you want. On embarkation day go to the DR to arrange time and possibly choose the actual table. Remember if anyone in your party is a no show, reservation "can" be dropped.

We have taken many Princess cruises but have always elected the early seating where you would dine with the same fellow cruisers every night.

Since you want to eat at about the same time early traditional is scheduled, I am not sure why you want to do anytime unless you want to eat with different people and/or different wait staff each evening.

Reservation policy will vary by ship, and no way to know in advance. You will likely end up with one of the following policies:

a) Able to make a reservation for the entire cruise

b) Able to make a reservation only for three days at a time

c) Able to make a reservation for the next evening

d) Only able to call to make a reservation each morning.

e) No reservations allowed

The anytime DR allows any pax to make a standing reservation for whatever time you want. On embarkation day go to the DR to arrange time and possibly choose the actual table. Remember if anyone in your party is a no show, reservation "can" be dropped.

This used to be true several years ago but lately I've been told if I want a reservation i have to call in each morning. I have asked when in the dining room for dinner for a reservation for the next night and been told no.

what has been your experience with this in the last year or so?

As with many things, this is another policy that varies from ship to ship. But, we’ve called, one day at a time, on many ships to make ATD reservations.

We’ve always been able to make reservations in ATD. In a couple cases, we found a server team who we clicked with and then made a standing reservation in their section for the remainder of the cruise. If we wanted to eat earlier, we would let them know and they would hold the table for us. That way we were able to, still, dine on our schedule. Princess has been very accommodating this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’ve always been able to make reservations in ATD. In a couple cases, we found a server team who we clicked with and then made a standing reservation in their section for the remainder of the cruise. If we wanted to eat earlier, we would let them know and they would hold the table for us. That way we were able to, still, dine on our schedule. Princess has been very accommodating this way.

What time is your standing reservation for? Again, I have asked for reservations and been told no, I had to call in the morning....so I'm wondering if I'm handling it wrong, or is there a change of policy.

The reason I have asked for reservations is that people start lining up about 4:45 for dinner in the dining room and there have been several cruises that although we were eventually seated, we ended up standing in line for 30-40 minutes.

Frankly, I wish there was some consistency. Either allow reservations or don't, but don't allow some people to have reservations and some people not to.

Also, what I wasn't able to figure out, is that when I called in the morning to make a reservation, I was usually told that reservations had to be made for after 8:00, occasionally I was offered a 5:00 time slot.

So if those are the only reservation times allowed, how is it that in the "reservations only" line there are people going in at all different times between 6:00-7:30????

As an aside, we are always open to sitting with others, so table size availability is not an issue.

What time is your standing reservation for? Again, I have asked for reservations and been told no, I had to call in the morning....so I'm wondering if I'm handling it wrong, or is there a change of policy.

The reason I have asked for reservations is that people start lining up about 4:45 for dinner in the dining room and there have been several cruises that although we were eventually seated, we ended up standing in line for 30-40 minutes.

Frankly, I wish there was some consistency. Either allow reservations or don't, but don't allow some people to have reservations and some people not to.

Also, what I wasn't able to figure out, is that when I called in the morning to make a reservation, I was usually told that reservations had to be made for after 8:00, occasionally I was offered a 5:00 time slot.

So if those are the only reservation times allowed, how is it that in the "reservations only" line there are people going in at all different times between 6:00-7:30????

As an aside, we are always open to sitting with others, so table size availability is not an issue.

We, usually, eat later and the standing reservations are more to accommodate the early diners. We have been good with an 8 PM time so we can just show up, or we can opt to wait for the table to clear. If we don’t mind waiting we’ll just sign in and get a pager and have a cocktail. We have checked in early to find our servers were ready and have been seated sooner.

We, typically, do ATD when we want to dine alone on a particular cruise.

On our Star cruise to Hawaii, our servers, actually held the table for us. In retrospect, I think it was because of the way we bonded with the staff that was more helpful than the ships policy. Hope that makes sense.

This used to be true several years ago but lately I've been told if I want a reservation i have to call in each morning. I have asked when in the dining room for dinner for a reservation for the next night and been told no.

what has been your experience with this in the last year or so?

Glad Princess is doing this and we like ATD but never make reservations because we do not feel "entitled" and get in when we get in. Passengers who need fixed dining times and tables know what to do and quit trying to game the system please....:rolleyes:

We were waitlisted for traditional dining on our last cruise and we were told by Princess to go to the maitre’d after we board and see if we could get a standing reservation each day...and we did. It was at 5:30 but it was fine. When we were leaving the dining room each night there were gobs of people waiting for tables. I don’t ever want to be one of them. This also made it good to catch the first seating of the show in the theater each night.

We were waitlisted for traditional dining on our last cruise and we were told by Princess to go to the maitre’d after we board and see if we could get a standing reservation each day...and we did. It was at 5:30 but it was fine. When we were leaving the dining room each night there were gobs of people waiting for tables. I don’t ever want to be one of them. This also made it good to catch the first seating of the show in the theater each night.

We are always at ATD at 5:30 and get seated. Not sure you were really treated any differently then anyone else who arrives at the beginning of ATD....:)

We are always at ATD at 5:30 and get seated. Not sure you were really treated any differently then anyone else who arrives at the beginning of ATD....:)

We were at the same table, same servers each night. It was the same way I experi need traditional dining before.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am a bit resentful regarding the comments about "gaming the system" and "feeling entitled". My problem was not booking my cruise early enough and for having a partner that isn't able to stand in line for a long time. Gee, I sure wish I wasn't on the long waitlist for my first choice MD-fixed time dining. We certainly will call and ask for an AT reservation but if we don't get one we will make do and enjoy our cruise. But please understand why some people are hopeful for a set dinner time.

I am a bit resentful regarding the comments about "gaming the system" and "feeling entitled". My problem was not booking my cruise early enough and for having a partner that isn't able to stand in line for a long time. Gee, I sure wish I wasn't on the long waitlist for my first choice MD-fixed time dining. We certainly will call and ask for an AT reservation but if we don't get one we will make do and enjoy our cruise. But please understand why some people are hopeful for a set dinner time.

Lol I agree. “Gaming the system” is really strong... if they have a system that allows

Believe me, there are some passengers who are treated special & arrange for select seating on every cruise.

They usually enter through the opposite door from the regular crowd.

Believe me, there are some passengers who are treated special & arrange for select seating on every cruise.

They usually enter through the opposite door from the regular crowd.

ANYBODY can do that......nothing special about it....we have seen everything and have been on a lot of cruises and Princess cruises.....still believe there should be NO reservations at ATD.....if people need that then go to TD, speciality restaurant, order room service in the room or go to the buffet......:cool:

ANYBODY can do that......nothing special about it....we have seen everything and have been on a lot of cruises and Princess cruises.....still believe there should be NO reservations at ATD.....if people need that then go to TD, speciality restaurant, order room service in the room or go to the buffet......:cool:

I'm not talking about people calling in for reservations daily but about certain people making permanent reservations for the whole cruise, same table on the first day with the Maitre D. When approached with that fact they tell you it simply isn't so & turn their back to you.

Certain Maitre D's will bend their rules on occasion for the right price.