Solstice Secrets

TXRed

Some random suggestions...

Pack some magnets so you can keep important papers where you can find them. You might want to pack your hair dryer...the one that celebrity provides requires you to hold the button down or it goes off....very annoying to some. Also bring your own binoculars...don't rely on Celebrity providing useful ones. If you are in select dining, make reservations for each night...now...before the cruise. It will speed up your seating. (it's under specialty dining reservations...but free). IMHO, avoid the art auctions...or at least don't buy anything (generally, they aren't good values (I'm being kind)). Don't miss the silent disco (see your daily event sheet). May not apply to you, but if you like caesar salad with anchovies, you have to ask for the anchovies. You do not have to tip anyone on board during the cruise...you can just pay the standard gratuities. If there is a tip required, it will be added to your bill..and specialty restaurant charge includes tips. Go on the kitchen tour when/if it's offered (free...see your daily events page). If you want a different type of pillow ask your cabin attendant. Try breakfast in the MDR if you don't want to fight the crowd in the buffet....ditto for lunch on sea days.

• Like 1

On our last cruise we enjoyed the morning Brunch. It will be in the Main Dining Room on a sea day. It is awesome, but crowded. Take your camera, you'll want to take pictures. Watch the Daily events brochure for the time and day. Have fun, we enjoyed the Solstice.

Some people like to kid. There is no deck 13. The ship skips that number of their decks.

It’s kind of like when I was in the Navy a old Chief told me to fetch a gallon of bulkhead remover. Doesn’t exist. Just a joke for newbies.

Or perhaps a Sky Hook?

I thought Celebrity had done away with MDR brunch some time ago...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No more MDR brunches. However, there is an upgraded luncheon buffet in the OceanView on one of the last sea days.

Alaska on the Solstice, see Brent Nixon’s presentations.
I second this recommendation.

His presentations are both informative and entertaining, appealing to adults as well as children.

• Like 1

We were on the solstice in May. Silk harvest was by far the worst dinner of our trip. The food was fine, certainly not worth paying extra for, but the service was atrocious. Any restaurant can have an off night, but when we mentioned to the waiter and matre’d how long we had been waiting they avoided us until our food was ready. It literally took 2 hours from when we sat down until we received our main course.

Tuscan grill and murano were lovely however, highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Silk Harvest is the only specialty restaurant we won't go back to on Celebrity ships...in fact, the last time, we walked out and refused to even go back when they offered us a free meal if we'd try it again. While the atmosphere is lovely, the food is no better than our local asian restaurants...and not even up to PF Chang's level. IMHO, not worth paying extra.

I second this recommendation.

His presentations are both informative and entertaining, appealing to adults as well as children.

Agree and a little info on what he does. He will give an hour presentation every day on various aspects of Alaska, they will be repeated on the TV. Also, as you go up the Fjord, he will give a running commentary, best to be somewhere where you can see both sides.

• Like 1

Room service is free on Celebrity ships (with a small fee for late night in-room dining). Café Al Bacio II in the Oceanview Cafe' serves alcohol early in the a.m. (I like a mimosa or two at breakfast). Lunch is served in the MDR on sea days. Discounted spa services on port days.

• Like 3

Room service is free on Celebrity ships (with a small fee for late night in-room dining). Café Al Bacio II in the Oceanview Cafe' serves alcohol early in the a.m. (I like a mimosa or two at breakfast). Lunch is served in the MDR on sea days. Discounted spa services on port days.

Additionally you can get the lunch and dinner Main Dining Room meals delivered to your room during MDR operating hours.

• Like 2

If you’re full at dinner you can get MDR to send your dessert to your room or they’ll wrap it up for you to take with you.

Breakfast is chaos in the Oceanview but Cafe al Bacio does nice pastries at breakfast time, then switches to cakes later

• Like 1

Hi Cruisers! We have booked our first trip on Celebrity...the Solstice to Alaska out of Seattle May 17, 2019. I know every ship has it's little hidden secrets and gems, soooooooooooo:ship::ship:please share what knowledge you have about those secrets & gems...thanks:ship:...did I say we are EXCITED!!

We will be sailing on the Solstice on May 17, 2019 also. It will be our second time to Alaska on the Solstice. It's a beautiful ship with a great staff.

Just got off the Solstice and Brent Nixon was not the naturalist on board. There was one but really did not compare favorably with him. I’ve taken this ship 3 times from Seattle and was not impressed with the young lady doing the nature talks. Don’t know if he was off temporarily or just not working with X anymore.

Do not miss the Miss Amanda destination talks. She was amazingly good with history and points of interest in each port.

Before you go check out the possibility of seeing the Aurora Borealis lights. We got a sighting #5 out of 9, but they were not very colorful. Certainly fun to try and get a good siteing.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Just got off the Solstice and Brent Nixon was not the naturalist on board. There was one but really did not compare favorably with him. I’ve taken this ship 3 times from Seattle and was not impressed with the young lady doing the nature talks. Don’t know if he was off temporarily or just not working with X anymore.

Do not miss the Miss Amanda destination talks. She was amazingly good with history and points of interest in each port.

Before you go check out the possibility of seeing the Aurora Borealis lights. We got a sighting #5 out of 9, but they were not very colorful. Certainly fun to try and get a good siteing.

Enjoy your cruise!

We’ve had Brent twice on Solstice -he’s awesome. Most recently he was there in April/May Hawaii cruise. Miss Amanda (who was also on our Hawaii cruise and who is equally entertaining) is Brent’s wife. I assume if she’s still on board that he would be not far away.

I have been on the Solstice 6 times and have two more booked in the next 9 months. She was the first of the S Class ships. I was so excited to cruise on her when she first arrived. Blu was a brand new dining option. I have always had the best crew,

Unlike others I have had good service and food in Silk Harvest. Enjoy !

Don't miss the ice cream in the Oceanview Cafe from 12noon (somes 11am) to 10pm. They serve several freshly made flavors, and soft serve yogurt, in either bowls or cones. They'll make the cones as high as you want. I actually made the "mistake" once of challenging the server to make it as high as possible, it was 8 inches minimum! They have multiple toppings as well. Had run after the second show to make it back nightly before closing. I considered that my exercise for the day! ; )

• Like 1

Maggie 1008,

We were on Solstice in late June. Paulina is a great Captain’s Club hostess—warm, friendly, caring. She made my husband and I feel so welcomed and we interacted with her almost every day. She was just a delight and a wonderful representative of Celebrity. We really loved her perky personality. :)

Maggie 1008,

We were on Solstice in late June. Paulina is a great Captain’s Club hostess—warm, friendly, caring. She made my husband and I feel so welcomed and we interacted with her almost every day. She was just a delight and a wonderful representative of Celebrity. We really loved her perky personality. :)

I’ve been on Solstice 3 times with another booked and I’ve never met or had anything to do with the CC hostess. Can you please tell me what their role is?

Some people like to kid. There is no deck 13. The ship skips that number of their decks.

It’s kind of like when I was in the Navy a old Chief told me to fetch a gallon of bulkhead remover. Doesn’t exist. Just a joke for newbies.

Oh thank you...I knew that..I was simply playing along. Hence the :halo: This is our 6th cruise...just the first on on Celebrity.