A Celebrity/Author On A Cruise

CruiseGal999

I'm going on a cruise this fall. There will be a celebrity onboard with this specialty group I am sailing with.

I have bought a small gift to give to this man and his wife. They are 2 cards. Each 8 1/2 " x 11" watercolors of the town he lived & worked in for 25+ years. The watercolors are from an earlier time (1950s) than when he & his family lived there.

I guess, since I've bought them, it's a done deal. But is this a dumb thing to do? I know they have their memories and whatever momentos they kept from their lives then. They now live in a different state across country.

Just to be sure ... these are NOT gifts for a steward. It's for this celebrity and his wife.

Why the heck would you give a gift to a successful person who has no reason to need this gift? That probably can afford any similar item out there?

Sorry, but giving such a gift makes absolutely no sense to me. And I have interacted with a large number of very successful people.

I'm going on a cruise this fall. There will be a celebrity onboard with this specialty group I am sailing with.

I have bought a small gift to give to this man and his wife. They are 2 cards. Each 8 1/2 " x 11" watercolors of the town he lived & worked in for 25+ years. The watercolors are from an earlier time (1950s) than when he & his family lived there.

I guess, since I've bought them, it's a done deal. But is this a dumb thing to do? I know they have their memories and whatever momentos they kept from their lives then. They now live in a different state across country.

Just to be sure ... these are NOT gifts for a steward. It's for this celebrity and his wife.

And they are from a time prior to when the celeb lived in the town so they mean nothing to him. I agree w CruiserBruce.

DON

And they are from a time prior to when the celeb lived in the town so they mean nothing to him. I agree w CruiserBruce.

DON

Well, the gift is for the wife more than the husband. They are beautiful watercolors of iconic sights of where they lived but in a time less populated and a time they didn't experience. I for one have many pictures of places where I lived decades earlier than when I lived there.

Thank you though ... I'll let you know how it goes when I get onboard the cruise.

It's a gift to say thank you for spending your time with us ... the fans. They (husband & wife - who are NOT actors so to speak) and the rest of the group (other actors on the show and the actual people the actors portray on the show), are on this cruise giving up their personal private time to spend it with us on a cruise 2x a year to sign books and take photos with the fans.

...I guess, since I've bought them, it's a done deal. But is this a dumb thing to do?...

With all due respect, your decision is made and I think you should turn and run from this thread because I'm betting most replies will not be what you had hoped to read. :(

Enjoy your cruise.

You asked "But is this a dumb thing to do?". We are answering your question just like you asked us to, and that answer is "Yes".

Clearly giving you answers is a complete waste of our time. :rolleyes:

No it isn't. Why would you say that? Because I clarified some things?

This is a 'discussion'. I can discuss back if I'd like to. People can tell me their thoughts., if they'd like to.

And people have to accept that all of their comments won't be accepted and appreciated. My prerogative.

To be honest, I agree with others that it's a bit pointless and not something I'd do.

But I see no harm in it. The celeb isn't cruising to get away from the limelight, and I have little doubt that he's used to this sort of thing - so as long as you don't go presuming that it'll get you some sort of special attention he'll probably accept them graciously.

Your money, your choice, but you've asked for opinions and you've been given them. ;)

JB :)

Well, the gift is for the wife more than the husband. They are beautiful watercolors of iconic sights of where they lived but in a time less populated and a time they didn't experience. I for one have many pictures of places where I lived decades earlier than when I lived there.

Thank you though ... I'll let you know how it goes when I get onboard the cruise.

It's a gift to say thank you for spending your time with us ... the fans. They (husband & wife - who are NOT actors so to speak) and the rest of the group (other actors on the show and the actual people the actors portray on the show), are on this cruise giving up their personal private time to spend it with us on a cruise 2x a year to sign books and take photos with the fans.

Do you really think they are actually giving up their personal private time?

Realistically they are getting paid to join this cruise and you paid a premium to book your cruise through whatever company organized this group cruise.

Oh and those books they sign....are they being given to you for free? I bet that is also incorporated into the premium price you paid for your cruise and I'll even bet that they will be signing books for anyone on that cruise ..even those not part of your group...who didn't pay the premium you did for the cruise but are willing to buy the book . Of course who really buys a book on a cruise anyway as I've got to believe it's a hardcover signed book.

Unless this is some sort of benevolent charitable organization that is donating all profits to a charity... my take is that some organizer got these actors/not actors (what do you mean by that anyway?) who are also authors as well as the "common folk" portrayed by them on this show...whatever that is all about too...to come on this cruise and is paying them an agreed upon salary...then this organizer is adding up all his costs and adding a 100% profit to it....then pricing it out and selling it....to you and others...who have an interest in these...actors/non actors (again whatever that means) lol

Please think logically on this

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by maggie cruises

Perhaps you ask as you want us as strangers to be impressed with your brush with celebrity and your intention to connect with him? I am genuinely curious and not intending to be critical but as others have mentioned, your decision is clear by the purchase you have already made, and you don't agree with the opinions you have sought, and you will do as you want anyway. So why do you ask in the first place.....just go about your plan privately.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I think that it is an excellent idea, and will be appreciated. Too often authors are taken for granted, this will show that you respect their work and value their contribution. In spite of what the initial naysayers in this thread, who clearly don't have a clue about such things, said this will be appreciated. The thought is what counts.

So you paid a premium so this chap & his wife can get a free cruise to market his product. In addition, you spent more money on a gift !!

Is that dumb? - only you know that.

However, it isn't something we would consider. We select cruises based on the ship & itinerary and certainly wouldn't consider a cruise where the cruise line has to pay some "Name" to fill their ship.

You've made it clear that you're going to do whatever you want, so the purpose of your OP is quite obvious, and it is not that you were honestly seeking an opinion. But I'm going to give mine anyway.

These "celebrities" are not doing this cruise out of the goodness of their hearts. There is a financial advantage to them in one form or another. So giving them a thank you gift is naive.

Your taste in art may not be the same as these "celebrities". You have a taste for watercolours, in presumably a nostalgic/Norman Rockwellish style. The objects of your affection may well prefer a totally different style - perhaps modern art or urban photography. While I'm sure you will be thanked politely before these cards are quickly passed to their handler, don't be surprised or devastated that they will be preserved for posterity in a circular file folder.

No it isn't. Why would you say that? Because I clarified some things?

This is a 'discussion'. I can discuss back if I'd like to. People can tell me their thoughts., if they'd like to.

And people have to accept that all of their comments won't be accepted and appreciated. My prerogative.

And it is my prerogative to state what I believe your post is actually about. You didn't start this thread to have a "discussion". You started it only to gain validation for what you have already committed to doing. You can fool yourself into thinking that this is a real discussion, but most of us see the purpose of this thread.

Have a happy cruise. I hope all your efforts result in that brief moment that you will cherish forever.

I think its a lovely thing to do, but I wouldnt do it. Chances are it would go in a donation pile. Speaking for myself, i wouldnt want someone to gift me art work because my house is decorated thie way i want it.

What if you took them and offered them to the couple as in, I dont want these, do you?

What if you took them and offered them to the couple as in, I dont want these, do you?

So why would you buy them in the first place if you wouldn't want them? Kind of a disingenuous way to offer a gift, don't you think? I really don't want / need / like these things but thought maybe you would???

If you are buying a gift for someone, then just give it as a gift. If you are uncertain that it would be appropriate or appreciated, then don't buy it in the first place.

Especially if you are trying to impress someone such as a celebrity.....

I cannot believe, or understand, the amount of vitriol on this thread.

There is nothing wrong with the OP wishing to give a gift to her favorite author.

If I were the celebrity, I would gladly accept a gift from a fan, whether I liked it or not. It is what people do in civilized societies (as compared to the "nothing matters but me" society of today).

I wish her the best of luck with her cruise.

• Like 1

You've made it clear that you're going to do whatever you want, so the purpose of your OP is quite obvious, and it is not that you were honestly seeking an opinion. But I'm going to give mine anyway.

These "celebrities" are not doing this cruise out of the goodness of their hearts. There is a financial advantage to them in one form or another. So giving them a thank you gift is naive.

Your taste in art may not be the same as these "celebrities". You have a taste for watercolours, in presumably a nostalgic/Norman Rockwellish style. The objects of your affection may well prefer a totally different style - perhaps modern art or urban photography. While I'm sure you will be thanked politely before these cards are quickly passed to their handler, don't be surprised or devastated that they will be preserved for posterity in a circular file folder.

This.

I cannot believe, or understand, the amount of vitriol on this thread.

There is nothing wrong with the OP wishing to give a gift to her favorite author.

If I were the celebrity, I would gladly accept a gift from a fan, whether I liked it or not. It is what people do in civilized societies (as compared to the "nothing matters but me" society of today).

I wish her the best of luck with her cruise.

Well if you read the OP's post they asked for responses to their plan - even indicating as highlighted in their bold print an expectation of what some of those responses could be.

So IMO what you refer to as "vitriol" is really nothing more than other's opinions in response as the OP requested. The OP further provokes additional responses by their rather opinionated comments to the responses they solicited - I guess because they don't agree with them or were not what they had hoped to hear.

In other words, I think the OP got exactly what they asked for.

OP -- I don't think your idea/gift is dumb at all. I think it is a very thoughtful gesture. I used to receive gifts from clients and many of the gifts were not my taste. But that didn't for an instant diminish my appreciation of the thoughtful gesture, knowing that someone thought enough of me to do something special for me.