Why do people do back to back cruises?

laur371

With different menus each night of a 7 night cruise, and several different items being offered on each night's menu, repeating the same menu week to week is not the problem you imply it is. On week one just pick one entree on the menu, and the next week when that menu is repeated, just pick another item. No different than going more than once to a local restaurant at home which will have the same menu for months at a time.

Not being a food or cruise line snob, I have never had a problem encountering the same menu on a cruise ship. Sometimes that is even a blessing if I was pleased with an entree and wanted to enjoy it again.

If one is doing longer cruises or B2B2B.... that run longer than 3-5 weeks at a time, repeat items are an issue for some of us. This is particularly true if the cruise line prides itself on the quality and variety of its food offerings.

And people don't have to be "foodies" to enjoy many varied things that are truly unusual compared to the average cruise menu standards.

BTW (again, depending on the cruise line), if you want something that was offered on a previous night or week, an early request for that item (or something similar) usually will not be a problem (unless, of course it is a local product acquired en route (e.g., line caught tuna).

If one is doing longer cruises or B2B2B.... that run longer than 3-5 weeks at a time, repeat items are an issue for some of us. This is particularly true if the cruise line prides itself on the quality and variety of its food offerings.

And people don't have to be "foodies" to enjoy many varied things that are truly unusual compared to the average cruise menu standards.

BTW (again, depending on the cruise line), if you want something that was offered on a previous night or week, an early request for that item (or something similar) usually will not be a problem (unless, of course it is a local product acquired en route (e.g., line caught tuna).

And just how many cruisers do B2B2B that last 3-5 weeks? Very few! Most of us don't have time nor the finances to do such long cruises.

This forum is intended for all cruisers, not just the ones who can afford upscale extended cruises. To imply, as you always do, that all the other cruise lines that most of us can afford or that provide the experiences we are comfortable with, are, as you repeatedly state, inferior to your favorite Oceania is not offering any value to the majority here.

The memories of my longest B2B of 21 days through Jan & Feb a few years back still brings smiles and warm feelings. Started in Miami, 10 days Eastern itinerary, ended in San Juan. The it was off sailing an 11 day southern itinerary down to Barbados & Grenada before returning to Miami.

Three weeks escaping the NY winter was blissful!

.....This forum is intended for all cruisers.....

You may want to review the previous posts in this thread.

OP inquired about the nature of B2B and received numerous exemplar responses including several citing B2B of short AND long duration examples. Nowhere did OP identify his/her travel preferences, expectations, desires or financial means.

So, why would you not want OP to be made aware of all options and factors to consider???

The distance and time it takes to get to the port we have given up on 7 day cruises. We only do 10 day or longer. Next Christmas/ New Years we are doing a B2B out of Mobile. Both are 5 day cruises and stop at the same ports. We are going to be in the Mobile area, so we decided to go on a cruise while we were there, and there is only one ship and one itinerary. Fantasy was our first cruise and my wife’s favorite ship.

We have done a B2B out of San Juan. Only one flight and one night hotel expense.

Did two 7 night itineraries. First week had 6 ports & 1 sea day. Second week had 5 ports & 2 sea days.

Total of 3 sea days out of 14.

11 ports with only one repeat island in the Southern Caribbean and the starting port of San Juan.

One of our favorite cruises to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This exactly...have done one of these and now getting ready to do it again in September. Love not having to change cabins...and luckily that's been the case for us.

This exactly...have done one of these and now getting ready to do it again in September. Love not having to change cabins...and luckily that's been the case for us.

Agreed. We were lucky to have the same aft cabin both weeks. Would love to do another B2B!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a little different view of them. Sorry if this seems like bragging but we've been on so many cruises, seen the different ports so many times that we almost never get off the ship anymore. We just stay on the ship and have it mostly to ourselves.

Duplication of the menu doesn't bother us. Just order something different each week or if you really enjoyed something, have it again.

We seldom go to shows but if we want to see one, we go. If we really enjoyed it, we go again.

A b2b also makes sense to us since the cost of travel to/from the ship can sometimes cost more than the cruise fare itself.

We did a huge number of b-to 's and only booked them when we coul d have gthe same cabin for b oth segments We never moved cabins and really loved all those dozens of b-to-b's

Some we repeated same itinerary and other t imes it was an alternating itinerary.

Why or why not?

We are doing one on Liberty of the Seas this month. Why?

1. Two different itineraries

2 Different guest entertainers.

3. Good use of flights and driving. $$

4. 14 days of pampering.

5. Experiment with formal dining one week in the evening, windjammer the next.

6. Both weeks you aren’t as driven to do shore ex’s at every port. You REALLY relax.

7. Your TA pays your grats, gives you 150 obc, and a specialty meal each week. No additional costs.

8. You get twice the cruise points.

9. Both cruises were dirt cheap.

10. You meet more people.

So, the question is, why not?

We take longer single cruises. This one is a spontaneous one. It’s fun!

You may want to review the previous posts in this thread.

OP inquired about the nature of B2B and received numerous exemplar responses including several citing B2B of short AND long duration examples. Nowhere did OP identify his/her travel preferences, expectations, desires or financial means.

So, why would you not want OP to be made aware of all options and factors to consider???

The OP was clearly uncertain as to what a back-to-back even was. I did not get the sense that he/she was planning on taking one, just wondering what they were all about.

But yes, additional information is more useful then less.

I did my first b2b this spring. It was on Windstar - a repositioning from Japan to Alaska followed by an Alaska cruise, 28 days. Similar to what Krazy Kruisers mentioned for HAL, Windstar will package two (or occasionally more) consecutive cruises as a Star Collector. Star Collector voyages include the laundry package and often have a considerable price break over buying the cruises separately.

There were about 30 passengers who did the back to back and there was a reception at the end of the first cruise for those of us staying on board. Having those friends made on the many sea days of the crossing enhanced the experience of the Alaska cruise (perhaps especially for me as I was traveling solo).

Windstar runs a 14-day menu rotation so by the time the cycle came around again, I was happy to have the chance to try a different choice from that menu or a few times to have something again that I'd really enjoyed the first time. Even when they repeated menus weren't completely identical - on the Alaska cruise there were often locally caught fresh fish items on the menu.

Windstar doesn't have shows (other than the crew talent show). In Japan and on the crossing, we had a lecturer who did a series of lectures on Japan (art, history, culture) plus some on China, Korea and Russia as they impacted Japan. As we got close to Alaska, he also did some on Alaska history. In Alaska, we had talks by the expedition team naturalists on Alaska, usually related to what we had seen that day or would see the next day. No repeats there. I didn't mind the Captain's reception and Yacht Club reception repeating - what's not to like about a reception with free drinks.

And as flyingv4me mentioned, there is some pleasure in seeing those suitcases in the hall, knowing you have more cruising left.

There are ports where I wouldn't mind a b2b that repeated ports. Plenty to do in many of the Alaska ports or Europe ports to be worth having two port days in them.

My family has been wanting to do a back-to-back cruise on different cruise lines. We were thinking of doing a one-way up to Alaska on one line, then a one-way back down on another line, if such a thing is possible. That way we could experience two different ships and cruise lines. :)

I am not sure if that still counts as a back-to-back cruise, though.

Great idea! I'd say it is a B2B.

My family has been wanting to do a back-to-back cruise on different cruise lines. We were thinking of doing a one-way up to Alaska on one line, then a one-way back down on another line, if such a thing is possible. That way we could experience two different ships and cruise lines. :)

Some call it a side 2 side to differentiate from one where you stay on the same line.

If you look at the 2019 tentative Alaska port schedules:

http://claalaska.com/?page_id=1250

it looks like it is only possible if at least one of the cruises is on a luxury or premium line. The only days when there are two ships in Seward, at least one of the two is a luxury or premium line ship: e.g. Viking, Windstar, Silver Sea. Only Princess uses Whittier. Even if you were willing to go from Whittier to Seward for the ship change (or vice versa), Princess is in Whittier on Wednesday and Saturday and the ships in Seward on those days of the week are luxury or premium line ships.

You could do it as a not quite b2b with an overnight stay on land. Seward has plenty to be worth an overnight.

Vancouver doesn't have port schedules posted for 2019 yet. In 2018 they did have port days with two mainstream line ships so you could do an Alaska b2b (or side2side) on two such lines by changing ships Vancouver. That might be one round trip plus one one-way.

A lot of people don't like sea days, a 14 night back to back might have only 4 sea days. We like transatlantics because of sea days. Our upcoming Symphony transatlantic has 2 port stops over 12 nights. We have a 18 night transpacific booked for 2020 with 11 sea days. Perfect for us.

do you mind sharing the dates on this cruise as it sounds like what we are looking for (18 night/transpacific)...where are you leaving from? Thanks so much

We've done these, and are looking at a 3 night from the UK to one of the Channel Islands and back., with friends, followed by 17 nights to Venice, on the same ship.

As has been mentioned, it cuts costs of travelling to the ship. I wouldn't travel for a 3 night cruise, but will for 20 nights.

G

That is not a b-to . A b-to-b is Same ship doing consecutive cruises.

Never really considered a B2B before. After reading these, I am a little more interested now. I might even look into two different lines to really mix things up.

Exactly what we’ve done. Last year we circled the British Isles on Oceania in an Aft cabin and spotted the Celebrity Eclipse from there . Took a cab to it and did a Buttefly to Baltic and Norway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did so many b-go-b as my DH was not retired and wojuld only leave his p\ractice for so many days and needed to get home but he wanted to be away ab out 3 weeks a number of times a year. We would do 5 to 6 day hotel stay pre cruse, then two 7 or 10 day cruises followed by 5 - 8 days post cruise hotel stay. We only did that if we got same cabin for all segments

I hate to fly and would limit how far I would go for a 3 week trip. Had he lived to retire it would have been different

However, he was a very healthy vital man and then he wasn't. (Not cancer)

Edited by sail7seas

MY main reason for doing B2B is to make the best use of the money one spends on airfare. If we fly to Europe, we like to do a few days in a city or area, and then embark from that city. Often we can book B2B and take an entirely different itinerary. European hotels are small and usually quite pricey. this way we have our hotel and dining room with us. One airfare allows us to see many different places.

One other thought for the OP. Many North American cruisers spend most of their cruising time in the Caribbean where 7 day cruises are the norm. Just about every cruise line has ships alternating itineraries every 7 days... with one cruise in the so-called Eastern Caribbean and the other in the so-called Western Caribbean. This is done to encourage back-to-back bookings and has actually led to a big reduction in the number of true 14 day Caribbean cruises.

Hank

We did so many b-go-b as my DH was not retired and wojuld only leave his p\ractice for so many days and needed to get home but he wanted to be away ab out 3 weeks a number of times a year. We would do 5 to 6 day hotel stay pre cruse, then two 7 or 10 day cruises followed by 5 - 8 days post cruise hotel stay. We only did that if we got same cabin for all segments

I hate to fly and would limit how far I would go for a 3 week trip. Had he lived to retire it would have been different

However, he was a very healthy vital man and then he wasn't. (Not cancer)

Sail7Seas...I wasn't going to post until I read yours.....just hoping the best for you. A friend of ours once said "We'll cruise more after we retire". Same as your husband, they never made it to their retirement.

Wish we had discovered B2B's sooner. That's all we do now and more if we can string a few weeks together. Our reason is the same as some have explained: We have to fly to just about every cruise terminal...so it's just cost effective to do more cruises.

My next two cruises are technically B2B/repositioning cruises, but not in a way that a lot of people would count. The ship has to move ports before the main cruise. It's only two days, so it barely counts as anything at all, but I decided I'd fly in and see that city before the main trip. The first cruise has no ports besides the embarkation and disembarkation ports, and there's nothing much to it. However, it's technically a different cruise--it's under a different reservation number. I get two e-mails from NCL about everything, two days apart. Fun. The first part is stupid cheap, though, and they've had trouble selling it all.

I've not done a "real" B2B or reposition, but I'd be open to it if it met my needs in terms of length and ports and such. I wouldn't do the same cruise over again, though. I'd probably always want the second part to do something noticeably different from the first part.