Wish Princess would mix it up a bit.....

caribbean2000

We are long-time cruisers with Princess, 17 and counting plus a few on other lines. We always do the Caribbean, typically 7, 8 or 10 day cruises. I totally understand there are factors we can guess and many we can't when Princess (i.e., Carnival) plans itineraries but wouldn't it be nice if at least for a few cruises they would mix it up a bit? For the most part, the same Eastern and Western itineraries have been in place for the cruise lengths we're able to do, since we began cruising in 1998. When Princess did cruises out of Puerto Rico at least there were more options. We LOVE Princess and will continue to be loyal to them but how about more frequent stops in places like Martinique, Trinidad, Tortola (I know, I know, they go there occasionally and we would love to return) and/or add Guadalupe, St. Vincent, St, Barts, Tobago? And return to cruising out of San Juan? AGAIN, and I know I'm repeating myself - I totally get that there are huge issues in terms of logistics, money (always), etc. But....just sayin'.......

Yes! We pounced on the April 6- eastern 10 day because it has Martinique and Turks and Cacos, just because it offers new ports for us. So happy to be going to T&C instead of Princess cays!

Did T&C once.... got off the ship.... walked around the port town like "w.t.f. are we going to do here" spotted Margaritaville....they have an awesome pool, DJ, swim up bar and Flowrider.... had a blast for $30/drink :')

Cruised out of San Juan twice. It is nice to be able to do the Southern Caribbean in 7 days. I also wish they would bring that option back. I'm guessing logistics or politics in the way.

Neither. It was $$$.

Many of those cruises had to be discounted to Carnival level pricing to get them sold. I think I even recall a "book one cruise and get a second one free" promotion. We can't always see the big picture, and we don't have the data and metrics to figure this all out, but rest assured that Princess is using sophisticated analytics to figure out which itineraries will net the most profit. If there are islands that they do not go too very often, the reason is profit more so than mere habit. We did a "Round Trip from Athens" cruise last year of the Greek Islands and it was the best cruise I've ever done. But looking at the price I paid (compared to Barcelona to Athens, or the reverse), and the number of times that specific cruise was offered, (2? maybe 3? over the entire Summer/Fall) and it tells me that they just can't sell that cruise, despite it being my dream itinerary. Barcelona to Rome or Barcelona to Athens doesn't excite me one little bit. But Athens to Athens with a port on every day but one, and visits to smaller Greek Islands (and Montenegro) was pure heaven for me. I guess not many others agree.

We're booked on the Pacific, 12/22/19. The itinerary includes: St. John, Guadaloupe, St. Kitts, Martinique, Tobago, Barbados, Grenadine, Antigua & Virgin Gorda. 14 days, great ship!!

That sounds wonderful and I have checked it out, but between being a much smaller ship, 14 days (including Christmas, always big $$$), and the price - about 2 - 3 times higher than other 14 day itineraries that include the "usual suspects" it was way out of our league. I'm sure you'll have a great time. I'm envious!

I have read in the past that Princess stopped going out of San Juan because they couldn’t fill the cruises because the air fare prices were too high. I just went online to check the prices for the same sailing dates as my upcoming December cruise and found a direct flight to San Juan was over $1900 per person.

I wouldn’t book a cruise with air fares that high.

We also love the Caribbean. Not trying to be preachy, but why don’t you branch out and explore other beautiful places on the east and west coast ... as well as other spots around the world?? There’s so much to experience!

We are doing a 20 day Eastern/Southern itinerary in November (really a B2B but we were able to book it as a 20 day with sip and sail for a very good price. We will be hitting many new islands for us - a great list. We have been sailing Trans-Atlantics, Hawaii, Alaska and Panama cruises for the last 6 or 7 years. Now we get to hit many island we have never been to.

We also love the Caribbean. Not trying to be preachy, but why don’t you branch out and explore other beautiful places on the east and west coast ... as well as other spots around the world?? There’s so much to experience!

X2 - the world's a big place

We are long-time cruisers with Princess, 17 and counting plus a few on other lines. We always do the Caribbean, typically 7, 8 or 10 day cruises. I totally understand there are factors we can guess and many we can't when Princess (i.e., Carnival) plans itineraries but wouldn't it be nice if at least for a few cruises they would mix it up a bit? For the most part, the same Eastern and Western itineraries have been in place for the cruise lengths we're able to do, since we began cruising in 1998. When Princess did cruises out of Puerto Rico at least there were more options. We LOVE Princess and will continue to be loyal to them but how about more frequent stops in places like Martinique, Trinidad, Tortola (I know, I know, they go there occasionally and we would love to return) and/or add Guadalupe, St. Vincent, St, Barts, Tobago? And return to cruising out of San Juan? AGAIN, and I know I'm repeating myself - I totally get that there are huge issues in terms of logistics, money (always), etc. But....just sayin'.......

Agree! We have some awesome memories of sailing from Puerto Rico. We would go down 3-4 days ahead and soak up the sun and the culture, then sail to some nice southern ports. As far as airfare, have you checked airfare from the Midwest to fll or mia? Crazy high in the winter months. Often cheaper to fly to Cancun than Florida.

We sail to get a break from winter. It may be a big world out there, but we just need some sun to look forward to mid-winter. Some different ports would be wonderful!!!!

Janet

X2 - the world's a big place

Well, not to be snarky <grin> but after two trips to Italy ( with another soon), four cross country trips, two trips to Costa Rica and a few others places internationally, I'm pretty well aware the world is a big place. We just happen to like cruising in the Caribbean! I was afraid my innocent comment was going to end up like this, so.... have fun.... over & out.

OP, I don't know whether you can get away for a longer cruise, but I think Princess had at least three 14-day circle Caribbean cruises this winter. Those are the ones that will include those less-frequented islands. We were booked on one for March, but canceled when we realized we'd grown tired of the Caribbean after three trips (different strokes and all that).

If I were on the East Coast, I'd be inclined to jump ship to Celebrity for a Bermuda cruise. But that may not be your cup of tea.

Jim

If you’re willing to fly to San Juan, why not fly to a non-Caribbean port and itinerary?

As said above, follow the money. Passengers have more expensive flights and hotel costs in addition to cruise fare. Unless you live in Puerto Rico, passengers can’t drive to the port. Few direct flights from most mainland US and Canadian cities.

Ships have to fill to capacity week after week to be profitable. Princess can charge higher fares yet passengers pay less overall when sailing from other ports.

When Princess sailed from San Juan, they wound up practically giving cruises away to local residents to fill the ships.

Cruised out of San Juan twice. It is nice to be able to do the Southern Caribbean in 7 days. I also wish they would bring that option back. I'm guessing logistics or politics in the way.

I loved when they did that from down there and did 3 or so and have no idea why Princess pulled out of there.

I loved when they did that from down there and did 3 or so and have no idea why Princess pulled out of there.

Money, it's always about the money.

If you can make 10's of millions from certain ports and only millions from Puerto Rico, why serve Puerto Rico.

Sometimes they make a mistake. Years ago Isla Margarita (Venezuela) was a cruise port. Before we made port, the ship was telling us that there was nothing to do, it was boring, no one should expect much (unbelievable). Because we 'do our own thing' we had one of the best days ever, exploring, meeting folks, shopping (pearls). Totally soured me on listening to the ships programs about their ports.

I would tend to agree to a point. Yes, same old, but, we are on a cruise. We love sailing from NY, but there is only one sailing a year, the end of October. And then two maybe three years in a row, they would run the same islands. Then maybe two of the same and change one out. I was on the repositioning the year it left NY and went to Bayport (Houston, TX), but that was short lived. I had never been to Texas, so it was a real treat for us. Unfortunately, the port and the city and things to do were way to far apart. And on that one Antigua is always a stop. I had never been to St Lucia in 27 years of cruising, now I have been there twice in six months. NCL had a great itinerary that we did. RT NY to most of the leward islands, all the way to Barbados. We really enjoyed that one. So now we have a choice, stay on the ship or get off, been there done that..bought all the tchotchke's we will ever need. Save a lot of $$

One of my favorite Caribbean itineraries is the 8-day that goes to Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. You get two beautiful days at sea, three great islands, then two more beautiful days at sea. Unfortunately, Princess doesn't offer it very often--just once in November this year. If you can swing an extra day, it's worth it.