sansterre

new china for bread plates on the Voyage of the Vikings (Rotterdam)

Last night tables were set with new bread plates - blue and white, heavily patterned all over. Within in the pattern is the HAL logo of a ship. Last night we had two different pattern plates. Tonight they were both the same. Just curious if these are appearing on all the HAL ships. And are only the bread plates being changed?:confused:

They were on the Noordam the last week of June.

I’d love to see a full dinner service in them.

The HD said he would like to see vases on the table in the delft patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope someone will post a photo of the pattern. Is it traditional HAL Rosenthal china?

Roy got off the Westerdam on Sunday.

He posts pictures of some of his dinners and I noticed that the bread plates were different than the other plates.

I will see if I can bring a picture of them over to this thread.

I hope someone will post a photo of the pattern. Is it traditional HAL Rosenthal china?

No, It is Delft . I think I saw Royal Godewagn( spelling) on the back of the plate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the pictures. They are beautiful, HOWEVER, I think that for a full setting the pattern would be way too busy. Also, I do believe they would be very difficult to plate attractively many entrees dishes with that pattern. In fact, I shutter to even try to make a well composed meal on the plates. Great for bread plates, maybe salad plates, but not entrees. Just my opinion.

Hpoefully there will be new bread rolls too....

I agree. The outside of the rolls are too hard for us to chew. At times I thought we were being served stall rolls.

Thank you for the pictures. They are beautiful, HOWEVER, I think that for a full setting the pattern would be way too busy. Also, I do believe they would be very difficult to plate attractively many entrees dishes with that pattern. In fact, I shutter to even try to make a well composed meal on the plates. Great for bread plates, maybe salad plates, but not entrees. Just my opinion.

I agree. Works for bread/salad plates. Patterns can be very nice but plating a dinner attractively needs to have a neutral background (IMHO) so the different colors, textures, and shapes of the foods can be presented well.

I noticed them on Roy's live thread.

Very pretty and a nice contrast. Nice to hear they are fleet wide.

I learned today that there are several designs - possibly 4 different designs. I believe the pictures posted earlier show two of them. All have the small HAL logo (sailing ship) somewhere in the design).

Personally, I prefer the white plates with the blue trim around the outside. However, these do work nicely with the more and more commonly used white dinner plates. And, I agree with some of the posters that a full set of these would be too busy, Food, other than bread, looks best on white or a solid background, not on a busy pattern.

Will they now need install ceramic detectors when leaving the ships, because these charming new plates seem imminently "collectable".