When is a sale not a sale?

I'm not saying that I get to decide. I am saying the people can decide what a "sale" is and not corporate America. When an item goes on "sale," I propose that it be the lowest price within 6 months for that item or the company cannot use the word sale. Let's vote on this!

I don't think the government should be deciding what a sale is. It is not the place of the government. We live in a free society, and if you do not like the sale practices, don't buy, that is your recourse.

Right now, it takes some research, but those of us that know how it works can get better deals because we pay attention and know when to buy. People that just jump in and buy it because it is onsale, and then never look again may or may not get a deal.

So here is my question to all of you who keep stating that the sale is based on the on board price. What is the on board price and how do you know this to be true if the ship isn’t sailing for 6months from now? I know if I go to Macy’s the price is going to be the same no matter which branch I go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can find out the onboard price when you board, hence why it is onboard. In the end, it just ends up if you like the price before hand, buy it, if not, don't. It is pretty simple.

So here is my question to all of you who keep stating that the sale is based on the on board price. What is the on board price and how do you know this to be true if the ship isn’t sailing for 6months from now? I know if I go to Macy’s the price is going to be the same no matter which branch I go to.

This is exactly why I say that the "percentage off" numbers are meaningless.

I would be shocked if you are able to find lower than $53, considering you're sailing through NYE.

Enjoy!

Yeah, it's my dream...I can make it as big as I want! It actually just gives me an excuse to keep checking in to see what's changed, I know better (originally chomped at the $56, was pleased to cancel and grab $53 before it went back up). The eternal optimist in me keeps saying "Labor Day...Veterans' Day...Black Friday..." but I know better.

Would normally not have booked a NYE sailing, but senior year makes it tougher to pull kid out of school. So, we'll party!

thanks!

If it makes any of you feel better. I am still waiting for any kind of “sale” on our cruise. I have been warned from fellow CC members not to expect any great prices on Symphony because it is a new ship. Our deluxe price has been holding at $60 a day since it appeared in the planner. I check it every couple of days. At this point $53 would appear to be a “sale” to me. I am holding out hope that I can grab it on the random day I may get a good price.

If it makes any of you feel better. I am still waiting for any kind of “sale” on our cruise. I have been warned from fellow CC members not to expect any great prices on Symphony because it is a new ship. Our deluxe price has been holding at $60 a day since it appeared in the planner. I check it every couple of days. At this point $53 would appear to be a “sale” to me. I am holding out hope that I can grab it on the random day I may get a good price.

I tell my troops all the time "Hope is not a strategy!"....(yet I still log in every day hoping to see a better deal!)

Good luck!

I’m just so surprised how many people out side of cruise critic are willing to buy a pig in a poke. If I didn’t know better I would think that the $50 sale price they are offering me at this time was outrageous. Having sailed on other lines I know that $50 is the average price and anything under is an actual sale.

When I called I was told the base price to purchase the drink package on the ship is $60 a day, so the 20%, buy one get one, and the 30% have all been accurate pricing based on the drink package cost. It hasn't fluctuated since we booked it last year. The prevailing $60 has remained as is and the percentage off price has always been correct on that basis.

Unless you just don't have the money, I would not suggest waiting. The 30% off could go away at any time, and then you are stuck paying the new rate. It may take several days for a credit to post back to your account.

Sadly money is just a little tight, for me to dish out that much extra to buy the drink package again at the moment. As we did also just finish making the final payment. Kind of sad that they couldn't just do a credit back of the cost difference. But right now the cruise planner has an hour countdown on it, that shows the sale price remaining for the next 6 days. So hoping my credit will post back before then. If not I will scrape it together somehow.

Sadly money is just a little tight, for me to dish out that much extra to buy the drink package again at the moment. As we did also just finish making the final payment. Kind of sad that they couldn't just do a credit back of the cost difference. But right now the cruise planner has an hour countdown on it, that shows the sale price remaining for the next 6 days. So hoping my credit will post back before then. If not I will scrape it together somehow.

Good luck, hope it works out.

Same here, the excursion we booked kept increasing in prices, yet they claimed it's on sale. Please stop these "fake" sales!

So you are complaining that you got the best deal you could, and booked at the right time? Not sure why you would be upset by that, did you want to pay more? They could have just had it be more expensive the entire time, would that make you happy?

A sale can be a sale even if you don't like the price. If someone has only seen $55 for the deluxe beverage package, $50 is a sale. If you bought it for $45, you got it at a better sale price, but that doesn't make $50 NOT a sale.

Sure that is correct, by definition. But, we all know RCCL is being intentionally deceiving, no need to defend them. It's insulting their gimmicks and ploys on "sales".

Sure that is correct, by definition. But, we all know RCCL is being intentionally deceiving, no need to defend them. It's insulting their gimmicks and ploys on "sales".

I knew the price of a cabins fluctuate, but sadly I did not know that the beverage packages on-board price did too.

I purchased a 20% off sale at $48 per day; now the Buy-one-get-one 50% off is $47. I did repurchase for the lower amount. I guess I will need to keep notes on pricing to get the best deal.

Thank you for pointing this out. With some of the explanations given here, it’s no wonder why they get away with what they do. This is a classic example of buyer beware.If I never sail with Royal Caribbean again it will a direct result of their film flam deal no deal promotions. If I wasn’t committed to the group that I was traveling with I would have canceled by now.

The BOGO sale was happening for my cruise last week, which worked out to 25% off. I wasn't sure whether we wanted to buy the package so I waited, and then this week they put the package on a 30% off sale. We ended up buying the deluxe beverage package for $42 per person per day, which I think is fair. Coupled with my $275 OBC though, it was a steal! The credit was applied to my package, so for our 7 day cruise my total beverage package was $19 😆

I don't think the government should be deciding what a sale is. It is not the place of the government. We live in a free society, and if you do not like the sale practices, don't buy, that is your recourse.

Without question. I can't believe the ideas some people have.

RCI has all these crazy, complicated sales that a rocket scientist couldn't figure out. There is a new one right now I noticed and the day it started the cruise we were going to book is 2 or 3 hundred dollars more than before the sale. That has to make you laugh.

Thank you everyone. I agree with everyone. And I love the "When it's advertised by RCL" comment. The amusement we had was that this one was the same BOGOHO Sale we purchased ours through 2 weeks later at $2.00 more. We are happy with the price but now looking at adding an internet piece also.