Boarding with unused mini bar items

USN59-79

I usually don't use all the mini bar miniature bottles on a cruise and throw them in my suitcase when we embark. I have a small box with about 20 or so from the last cruises. Would Princess complain if I brought them aboard my next 60 day cruise? I know their alcohol policy, but after all, they gave these to me to drink on board!

I usually don't use all the mini bar miniature bottles on a cruise and throw them in my suitcase when we embark. I have a small box with about 20 or so from the last cruises. Would Princess complain if I brought them aboard my next 60 day cruise? I know their alcohol policy, but after all, they gave these to me to drink on board!

Put them in your checked luggage.

Do NOT put them in your carry on. We were bringing just a couple back onto the ship for a follow on cruise. They were confiscated at check in.

We told them they were Princess mini bar. The information fell on deaf ears!

P&J

Yes I had a problem like that with leftover mini liquors switching ships the same day in Fort Lauderdale when I had them in my carryon.

Security sent me over to the desk to hand them in but I kind of lost my way going over there and forgot to stop walking.

Yes, I took 4 brandies for a welcome aboard gift for some friends. Had them in my carry on...in really nice gift baskets...in paper bags. They spotted all 4 and made me rip open the gifts to give them to the security officer. Not Princess folks...those tending the scanner. And she wasn't even nice about it. I told her "I didn't know". Didn't matter.

You may also not be able to take the bottles off the ship. If you have been to a foreign port and you are returning to the USA you must declare any alcohol and may have to pay a duty.

You can always take them off the ship. It is just a question of have you exceeded the limits on tax-free allowance and thus need to pay a duty.

Those doing the initially scanning are NOT Princess employees but Security or Port Employees and are told that Spirits are not allowed just a bottle of wine each free of corkage. They do not have the option of varying their employers demands.

Yes I had a problem like that with leftover mini liquors switching ships the same day in Fort Lauderdale when I had them in my carryon.

Security sent me over to the desk to hand them in but I kind of lost my way going over there and forgot to stop walking.

You must have the same problem as me, I get sent to the liquor table and get distracted on the way. Ooppps

You must have the same problem as me, I get sent to the liquor table and get distracted on the way. Ooppps

Very easy to get distracted and miss the table in Port Everglades. What is the set up for checking in Southampton?

Since other than the cognac, the miniatures are all plastic bottles, they should pass unremarked in your baggage. They are looking for glass.

I don't remember seeing a post-security naughty table in Southampton. From my recollection, right after security you get on the ship.

I have done the same coming back on board from a port..lol Trick to that is wait until lots of people getting on!

You may also not be able to take the bottles off the ship. If you have been to a foreign port and you are returning to the USA you must declare any alcohol and may have to pay a duty.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I really cant see Customs interested in a dozen or even two dozen miniatures, BITD when I used to buy 3 or 4 full size bottles of duty free booze on the ship or in the islands I used to declare it and Customs never charged me a cent, just waved me through.

I once asked the agent why and he said its too much work for them when the federal excise duty was only $1.20 per liter.

Its so many of those little bottles to make up even 1 liter.

We always have a few of the minis in our carry on. You never know when you arrive in a hotel the evening before the cruise and feel like a drink. When have never had a problem having 8 or 10 with us boarding the ship.

Until last October. As we went thru security in LA, the person operating the scanner found 3 bottles and they confiscated them. FOr a couple of reasons, we found this interesting.

First, they only found 3 of 10 bottles. So we still carried on 7.

Second, that trip was the first time we had Sip & Sail. So we would not drink any of our minis on the ship.

I tried that once. I had leftover bottles from the mini bar. Put them in my suitcase, in my toiletry bag. My husbands bag came to the room right away, no sign of mine for hours, finally got it around dinner time. (we were one of the first to board). When the luggage arrived, there was a sticker on it saying alcohol and it was obvious it had been looked through. The toiletry bag saved me, they didn't find it and it was still there, but it seems there is some sort of detection device in play.

We always have a few of the minis in our carry on. You never know when you arrive in a hotel the evening before the cruise and feel like a drink. When have never had a problem having 8 or 10 with us boarding the ship.

Until last October. As we went thru security in LA, the person operating the scanner found 3 bottles and they confiscated them. FOr a couple of reasons, we found this interesting.

First, they only found 3 of 10 bottles. So we still carried on 7.

Second, that trip was the first time we had Sip & Sail. So we would not drink any of our minis on the ship.

Were the ones they found in plastic bottles?

I tried that once. I had leftover bottles from the mini bar. Put them in my suitcase, in my toiletry bag. My husbands bag came to the room right away, no sign of mine for hours, finally got it around dinner time. (we were one of the first to board). When the luggage arrived, there was a sticker on it saying alcohol and it was obvious it had been looked through. The toiletry bag saved me, they didn't find it and it was still there, but it seems there is some sort of detection device in play.

Was the suitcase locked when you handed it over? If so, they should not have opened it up without you being present.

Was the suitcase locked when you handed it over? If so, they should not have opened it up without you being present.

Princess is under no obligation to have you present when they open your luggage, even if it’s locked; read your Contact of Passage. It also clearly states no spirits are allowed on the ship and may be confiscated. BTW putted a lock on zippered luggage is no guarantee. The zipper can be pried apart in seconds and rezipped. You never know it happened.

Sent from my iPad using Forums