Crew does nothing to stop bad behavior

Mythbuster

And, from reading your posts for a long time, it is easy to tell that you are very kind.

Thanks for posting. :)

I totally, 100%, agree with this statement. chemmo never has a bad word to say about anyone. Kudos to her.

Thanks to Chemmo and Dkjretired for both of your level-headed, kind-hearted responses. We need more of that kind of thinking in today's world. A bit of kindness, understanding and tolerance would go such a long way. I really don't expect that in the instance cited the staff could have done much other than just escalate an already unpleasant situation by confronting the offender whose behavior was seemingly disturbed.

Just because somebody paid for a suite does not necessarily mean they are wealthy. This is a very common misconception on these boards. Maybe a higher percentage of suite passengers are wealthier - agree with that. But classless and clueless comes in all economic categories.

You are very right! There are many comments on CC about suite guests being wealthy. Purchasing a suite is more about preference than means. Many of the people (not all) who made those comments about an affordability issue will cruise 2-3 times a year in a veranda. I choose to cruise less often in a suite than cruising more often in a smaller cabin. I have claustrophobia and can not stay in a narrow cabin. On this last cruise I met several suite guests who stated they were splurging on a suite for a special occasion. I also agree that lack of class has no economic status.

You are very right! There are many comments on CC about suite guests being wealthy. Purchasing a suite is more about preference than means. Many of the people (not all) who made those comments about an affordability issue will cruise 2-3 times a year in a veranda. I choose to cruise less often in a suite than cruising more often in a smaller cabin. I have claustrophobia and can not stay in a narrow cabin. On this last cruise I met several suite guests who stated they were splurging on a suite for a special occasion. I also agree that lack of class has no economic status.

Cruising is a very nice way to taste the world, but when everything is added... it’s not necessarily a cheap hobby. So, alike yourself, I only cruise once a year... but I’m not yet able to convince myself to “go all in” suite style. So wealth is relative! For some people, affording an apartment on an airplane at the cost of tens of thousands of dollars for a single flight is similar to the cost for an average Joe, to spend a dollar on a pack of gum.

This being said, education in many countries is also a luxury. With education, often (not always) comes respect, judgment, class and dignity. Of note, some less fortunate or less educated people have been known to display all these qualities and more. No doubt about that and no judgment intended.

Reading on these boards and on a web site reporting events at sea, I remember reading about men or women fist fighting, for example, in a hamburger line of a cruise ship. Most often, these events happen to have been reported on less expensive cruises.

Therefore, my surprise, when the OP mentioned the apparent very rude of a «*first class*» passenger traveling on a premier cruise line. This is not something, I would have expected to witness in that context!

I found very interesting the possibility of a mental health issue discussed on this board. Indeed, it helps put things in perspective and resist the urge to judge without having walked in the man’s shoes. Lastly, I agree with those who have suggested to use love and kindness as the best response. You never know, this approach could go a long way, may be further than the more agressive approach!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruising is a very nice way to taste the world, but when everything is added... it’s not necessarily a cheap hobby.

Can only agree. Suites are not cheap, not least due to limited number. Then there are all the extras, so would naturally mostly apply to the wealthy.

I'm surprised by some of the answers. These tough folks, "I'd put him in his place, etc.". Really? At dinner on a ship? Who cares. It's not that important. There's a time and place for everything. Sometimes the adult thing is to just look the other way - you don't always have to tell people when they are behaving badly.

Remember, when he wakes up, he's still himself. He can't get away from being a jerk. We have a choice.......

Yes, I agree with you!

Mental issues, entitlement, to much alcohol or just plain rude who really knows why people behave the way they do. On our Family Thanksgiving cruise last year our Family was having dinner in the Tuscan Grill when we heard lots of screaming between two men. They both had tables for two back to back on the window. The hostesses quickly tried to defuse the argument asap. In this case to much alcohol and politics ignited the screaming match. The amazing part was they weren’t even at the same table. These men were getting ready to throw punches. In this case Security should definitely have been called. Just because other people may have issues doesn’t mean that you are not entitled to a stress free dinner after you have been seated. They teach us in grade school bad actions should have consequences. I guess I am so disgusted with hearing about so much bullying these days no matter what people’s issues may be to cause their behavior.

Don't worry, these internet tough guys don't do 2% of the things they bluster about here.

Some do, some don't. I've had 3 incidents where I stood my ground. One resulted in Celebrity giving us 6 free excursions the following year. I had defended the "Captain Circle" mgr. from being potentially being assaulted by an irate(future banned pax)Where you choose to believe I could care less. Simple as that. If you wish to hear the stories I can give them in short order.

It’s all relative. I would consider someone who can cruise 2-3 times a year in a verandah cabin also to be on the wealthier spectrum. Personally, we are every other year in an inside cabin cruisers. A suite is beyond our means.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have done end of May 3 times - Memorial Day weekend and there are not many kids. Most schools in the Northeast finish school 2nd or 3rd week of June.

But there are an awful lot of kids in Florida and they’re out long before that.

There’s bad behavior toward others, and there’s disgusting behavior.

I was eating lunch alone and a man sat down across from me but over one seat.

I went in eating and reading my Kindle.

After a few minutes the man started coughing.

He then, and don’t read this if you’re eating, coughed up phlegm.

He did not hold the napkin up to his mouth. He laid it over his plate and proceeded to fill it.

I jumped out of my seat, grabbed my Kindle and started looking for the Maitre d’.

I told him about the man, trying not to gag, and we turned and watched him finish eating and then crumple his napkin on the table.

I only told the maitre d’ because I didn’t want anyone to handle the napkin with bare hands.

I wonder how many napkins are used that way. I did see a guy blow his muse on the tablecloth once.

People can rise to wealth and power, but if they haven’t been taught basic etiquette at some point, they should stay home.

I’m sure there will people who disagree with me, but I had a hard time enjoying any meals for the rest of my cruise.

Now I’m wondering why I thought of it again. 🤢

He did not hold the napkin up to his mouth. He laid it over his plate and proceeded to fill it.

I jumped out of my seat, grabbed my Kindle and started looking for the Maitre d’.

I told him about the man, trying not to gag, and we turned and watched him finish eating and then crumple his napkin on the table.

I only told the maitre d’ because I didn’t want anyone to handle the napkin with bare hands.

I wonder how many napkins are used that way. I did see a guy blow his muse on the tablecloth once.

People can rise to wealth and power, but if they haven’t been taught basic etiquette at some point, they should stay home.

I’m sure there will people who disagree with me, but I had a hard time enjoying any meals for the rest of my cruise.

Interesting tale... I never succeeded in getting my muse to sit on the tablecloth long enough to be blown. As to the throat clearing practices of your table-mate, given the variety of what's "basic etiquette" regarding phlegm in various parts of the world, it's entirely possible that somewhere on CC sits a post about the "shocking American who grabbed a crew member to watch me clear my throat."

In any case, given your understandable concerns, you might want to avoid drinking water...you'd be scandalized at what fish do in it!!

Interesting tale... I never succeeded in getting my muse to sit on the tablecloth long enough to be blown. As to the throat clearing practices of your table-mate, given the variety of what's "basic etiquette" regarding phlegm in various parts of the world, it's entirely possible that somewhere on CC sits a post about the "shocking American who grabbed a crew member to watch me clear my throat."

In any case, given your understandable concerns, you might want to avoid drinking water...you'd be scandalized at what fish do in it!!

Yes. That's why WC Fields said why he never drank the water:')

But there are an awful lot of kids in Florida and they’re out long before that.

I guess we're lucky. I've never seen kids misbehave on a ship. Obviously seeing some of the Youtube videos would say otherwise. Some of their parents? well...

I'll agree with you. That was pretty damn disgusting of him. There certainly is a more polite way of handling a coughing fit.

I'll agree with you. That was pretty damn disgusting of him. There certainly is a more polite way of handling a coughing fit.

Actually, it wasn’t a coughing fit. I have those when I have bronchitis. And I wave my hands at everybody and leave the table.

This was a bringing up major stuff and spitting it out.

I shouldn’t have brought it up, besides making myself sick, I’m sharing it with the rest of you.

Some people are just plain rude and feel entitled.....

Having travelled far and wide I have seen that there is no end to inappropriate behavior. However as the

cruise ship passenger count increased, the quality of training of crew at all levels appears to have proportionally decreased.

Actually, it wasn’t a coughing fit. I have those when I have bronchitis. And I wave my hands at everybody and leave the table.

This was a bringing up major stuff and spitting it out.

I shouldn’t have brought it up, besides making myself sick, I’m sharing it with the rest of you.

I just hope you're not on a cruise right now! I have to agree though, that was beyond gross.

We cruised a number of years ago to Bermuda from Bayonne with our adult children on Royal Caribbean early June. Very few children. The Bermuda cruises are primarily populated with people from the tri-state area.

Correct and the schools in the Tri-state area generally close toward the end of June depending on snow days. Anytime after that up to Labor Day there will be lots of kids and families going to Bermuda.

And jerks like that are that way no matter where they are!! :mad:

The behavior with the scooter unfortunately works both ways. Whenever I am in a large store I usually get a scooter due to leg and breathing problems. You cannot believe how discourteous people are around the scooters. They cut in front of you, stop and any number of maneuvers. This applies to adults, kids and we live in a college town, they are the worst.

The behavior with the scooter unfortunately works both ways. Whenever I am in a large store I usually get a scooter due to leg and breathing problems. You cannot believe how discourteous people are around the scooters. They cut in front of you, stop and any number of maneuvers. This applies to adults, kids and we live in a college town, they are the worst.

Had a woman a few years back in a Market Basket run over my foot when I was reaching for some cereal. She had come up from behind me. After a good shriek & some choice words her response was "If you weren't in my way, I wouldn't have run over your foot!" Needless to say what came from my mouth was as far from politically correct as it could be.(lost 3 toe nails thanks to her!) So there are plenty of people on scooters with no courtesy as well. We had another person who felt he was entitled to cut the line in his scooter. He would just go around the line & cut in front of the person at the cashier. He did that on 3 separate occasions at that store. One day he tried to cut me off at the cashier. Sorry, but I just pushed him aside. He swore at me & got it right back. I know you'll not approve, but I don't suffer bad behavior from people without there being consequences. You know what's funny? He stopped cutting the line after that & learned to wait..Just like everyone else.

I sometimes travel with someone who uses a scooter and many people step right in front of him all the time. He is very careful and sometimes goes too slow for my tastes, but I've also had to watch him constantly dodge thoughtless people who act like he can stop on a dime.

I sometimes travel with someone who uses a scooter and many people step right in front of him all the time. He is very careful and sometimes goes too slow for my tastes, but I've also had to watch him constantly dodge thoughtless people who act like he can stop on a dime.

Could it be able bodied PAXs have tunnel vision, bad periferal vision, or are distracted and don’t notice those PAXs in scooters?

OTOH, IMO rudeness goes both ways.