Loyal RCCL cruisers who’ve tried a luxury cruise line… What did you think?

The lines I’m referring to are the likes of: Regent, Crystal, Oceania, Viking, Seaborn, Silversea, etc…

For some odd reason that question popped into my mind. I’m curious to hear from those who splurged on a luxury line after many cruises with RCCL. What was your impression? Was it worth it? What was it like? Was it a dream come true, a disaster, or a “Glad I did that but don’t need to do it again”?

I would consider it in the future for a special occasion.

Thanks in advance, Dan

The lines I’m referring to are the likes of: Regent, Crystal, Oceania, Viking, Seaborn, Silversea, etc…

For some odd reason that question popped into my mind. I’m curious to hear from those who splurged on a luxury line after many cruises with RCCL. What was your impression? Was it worth it? What was it like? Was it a dream come true, a disaster, or a “Glad I did that but don’t need to do it again”?

I would consider it in the future for a special occasion.

Thanks in advance, Dan

Thanks for asking this question Dan. I'm wondering the same thing. I would like to splurge at least once but would like some feedback as well. (If I was rolling in dough, I would just give it a try). LOL

Great question. We're doing a luxury cruise in two years for my 50th and we haven't decided which cruise line yet. I'm leaning towards Paul Gauguin Tahiti and French Polynesian cruise. I'm on that board as much as this one just lurking and reading as much as I can.

My husband and I have been on Royal Caribbean and Oceania. We like both of them for different reasons and we don't like to limit ourselves. We've been on Harmony (6000 passengers) and we've been on Oceania Regatta (680 passengers). Obviously they're very different but we enjoyed each cruise we have been on.

The big highlight of Oceania is no nickel and diming. You don't pay extra for specialty restaurants. No extra charge for soft drinks and there is a barista bar where you can have all the specialty coffee you want for no extra charge. The food on Oceania is definitely a step above the mass market cruise lines. Another highlight is no photographer. I dread having a camera in my face as I'm trying to eat dinner. It's an older, more mature crowd on Oceania. I'd estimate average age of 60. That could be a highlight or lowlight depending how you look at it.

Highlights of Royal Caribbean are better entertainment and more onboard activities. There are activities for children, whereas on Oceania there are none. I dislike crowds and I was a little worried about that when we were planning our Harmony cruise but we were in a suite and that allows access to places on the ship that were quiet. We had breakfast in Coastal Kitchen every morning. Very relaxing.

Paying extra is worth it, in my opinion, but it depends on what you're looking for. If for a special occasion you should give it a try.

We have two cruises planned for 2019. RC Serenade of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean and Oceania Marina to the Baltic. Looking forward to each.

My husband and I have been on Royal Caribbean and Oceania. We like both of them for different reasons and we don't like to limit ourselves. We've been on Harmony (6000 passengers) and we've been on Oceania Regatta (680 passengers). Obviously they're very different but we enjoyed each cruise we have been on.

The big highlight of Oceania is no nickel and diming. You don't pay extra for specialty restaurants. No extra charge for soft drinks and there is a barista bar where you can have all the specialty coffee you want for no extra charge. The food on Oceania is definitely a step above the mass market cruise lines. Another highlight is no photographer. I dread having a camera in my face as I'm trying to eat dinner. It's an older, more mature crowd on Oceania. I'd estimate average age of 60. That could be a highlight or lowlight depending how you look at it.

Highlights of Royal Caribbean are better entertainment and more onboard activities. There are activities for children, whereas on Oceania there are none. I dislike crowds and I was a little worried about that when we were planning our Harmony cruise but we were in a suite and that allows access to places on the ship that were quiet. We had breakfast in Coastal Kitchen every morning. Very relaxing.

Paying extra is worth it, in my opinion, but it depends on what you're looking for. If for a special occasion you should give it a try.

We have two cruises planned for 2019. RC Serenade of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean and Oceania Marina to the Baltic. Looking forward to each.

Thank you for this comparison. I'm hoping more people chime in here and share their experiences. I'd love to do a luxury cruise someday (after I win the lottery:rolleyes:).

For the first time in over 6 years, I strayed from Royal and sailed on Oceania to French Polynesia for the itinerary.

The price for my suite 12 days was very close to RCL's suites.

I will definitely sail Oceania again.... there is no comparison, a definite step up if you're not sailing for a Florider or limiting yourself to a 500 square foot Diamond Lounge. The entire ship is a Diamond lounge feel and attitude, everyone is dressed respectfully and well, unmatched service from everyone/everyday/everywhere on the ship, the food is over the top (Oceania buffet equal to and better than RCL specialty), the cabins are supremely gorgeous with the best bedding ever (RCL = decent Hampton Inn for example... Oceania = luxury Ritz Carlton)... all for close to the same per day price.

My review of this sailing, with a lot of comparisons to RCL as I went along, is here

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2616029

What do you think of the food? I heard it was leaps and bounds. However, I had an ex-girlfriend who went with me on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, but ended up going on an Azamara cruise with her Father. I know Azamara and Oceania are close in quality, and her report was the food was meh, nothing to write home about and her food tastes were similar to mine.

Very interested in this thread too :) One day I will try Regent Seven Seas. Depending on what time of the year you go, a cruise on Regent Seven Seas is less expensive than a loft suite on Harmony AND you dont pay for airfare, gratuities, alcohol, excursions or anything else for that matter. I love the idea of a truly all inclusive cruise.

What do you think of the food? I heard it was leaps and bounds. However, I had an ex-girlfriend who went with me on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, but ended up going on an Azamara cruise with her Father. I know Azamara and Oceania are close in quality, and her report was the food was meh, nothing to write home about and her food tastes were similar to mine.

Oceania is known for their food. It's better than Royal Caribbean's. I'm not a foodie but in my opinion the quality and selection are superior. On Oceania, you can pretty much count on lobster on the menu every night in the main dining room (no extra charge). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's hard to find lobster on RC anymore. I've never been on Azamara so I can't comment there.

In Oceania's Terrace Buffet, it is not self-service. As you go through the line, you tell them what you want and they will put it on your plate. I am not an extreme germophobe or anything like that but this is so much better for health reasons. It's one reason why we tend to avoid Windjammer. I have to say however that I was encouraged to see the hand-washing station on Harmony that you must pass through as you enter Windjammer.

Been on Oceania, Azamara, and Crystal. No comparison. Food and service are outstanding. They offer true enrichment lectures and classes. More choices than just trivia. China vs. plastic dishes with table clothes at night at the buffet. Crystal doesn’t have a dinner buffet. Afternoon classy teas. Extra surprises thrown in that make these cruises special. More sophisticated. This may not appeal to small children. Found the entertainment good although the production shows aren’t as elaborate. They go to different ports. Definitely worth the extra money. Book them when they have specials.

Azamara is fantastic. I have never seen such interaction of crew and passengers.

Tables laid properly in the buffet....

Will recognise your tier status, although you don’t get points.

Some amazing deals about 3 months before sailing. Perks of Azamazing evenings, a private event especially for guests, White Night parties, and overnights in ports.

Some new incredible itineraries in South Africa too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have sailed multiple times with RCCL and have one planned for November now, so I love their product I have also sailed with Oceania Cruise Line and as far as service is concerned there is no comparison. It was 10 days of total pampering. Not having to have up charges for specially dining, specialty coffees, room service etc. was also a plus. The entertainment left a lot to be desired, but our entertainment was the location and ports of call. It was a Western Mediterranean Cruise. Also having fewer passengers gave it a more intimate feeling. There is minimal entertainment and definitely not a cruise line for children, but I loved every minute and would love to be pampered on one of their ships again. I agree that the mean age was 60+. I did feel the product was worth the cost.

My wife and I have just booked our first Viking trip. We have sailed many times with Royal and Celebrity but wanted to something different. Was surprised that we could get onboard for about the same money as an Aqua class cabin on celebrity. We have done very big ships, this will be a chance to try a fairly small one in hopefully stylish surroundings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are going on a Norway cruise with Hurtigruten next year. My parents did their South America/Antarctica cruise last year and loved it. 200 pax ship, great service and food, and educational lectures and immersive experiences. I can't wait to try them for Norway!

We cruise on Royal and Regent both, but for different occasions. We typically do a holiday cruise with extended families on Royal, which is a good choice for us because of the wide range of ages.

But we do "adult" (50s) on Regent, and we really enjoy Regent for different reasons. Your first Regent cruise can give you sticker shock, but the experience justifies the cost (for the most part). Regent staterooms are quite large and quite comfortable; dining is significantly better than a mainstream cruise line; and everything is included, including open bar, most excursions and WiFi.

The smaller size of a Regent ship is also an advantage if you're on a port-intensive itinerary, since you're not competing with thousands of passengers to disembark in a port. And the level of service on Regent is just above and beyond anything we ever experienced on a mainstream cruise line. We also took my mother (80s but active) on Regent a few times, and she loved every minute (and she joins us on Royal Caribbean every holiday).

So we enjoy them both, but for different types of vacations and for different reasons.

Very interested in this thread too :) One day I will try Regent Seven Seas. Depending on what time of the year you go, a cruise on Regent Seven Seas is less expensive than a loft suite on Harmony AND you dont pay for airfare, gratuities, alcohol, excursions or anything else for that matter. I love the idea of a truly all inclusive cruise.

We have done Regent to Alaska for the last 3 years. 1st cruise of the season is the cheapest.

Everything you mentioned is included...also internet,sodas, specialty coffees,etc. Mini bar restocked twice a day AND they bring 2 regular size bottles of alcohol of your choice plus a bottle of wine for your cabin.

One of my favorites is the ice cream. A dozen flavors offered almost the entire day.

There deck grill not only freshly grills burgers & hot dogs but steaks/salmon/chicken etc. You just walk by & order, they bring it to your table. In their main dining room, every night they have filet mignon, lobster tail, crab legs, etc....never an extra charge.

We love Royal It is a different experience. We are on the Allure in a few weeks. We have been to those ports many times & do not take excursions. Just walk around the dock area.

On Regent , excursions are INCLUDED so we do them.

We always run into people that were given a large amount of onboard credit but have difficulty spending it because Regent is truly ALL inclusive.

Wouldn't everyone like that sort of problem. :O)

I have not been on a luxury cruise, but I feel like I have been because my brother in law last month on Anthem kept saying “Well on Regent we would get all the Grey Goose we wanted” “Well on Regent the staff knew what you wanted before you even asked” “Well on Regent .....”

You get the idea. It is simply a different experience than a mass market cruise line, and one you are paying for.

But even BIL admitted there was nothing, but nothing, but nothing to do after 9 p.m. and he and my sis, late 50s, were by far the youngest cruisers.

I admit that I have gotten spoiled by mega ships and all the activities, and if I had the money, I would just pay for the most expensive suite on RCCL or some other line rather than Regent. But it certainly sounds like it has its charms.....

We are going on a Norway cruise with Hurtigruten next year. My parents did their South America/Antarctica cruise last year and loved it. 200 pax ship, great service and food, and educational lectures and immersive experiences. I can't wait to try them for Norway!

We have ben on 2 Hurtigruten cruises, Antarctica and Norway. I would not call it a luxury cruise line, but food and service were very good. Norway trip had many stops, some of which were only 30 minutes, as it is a working cargo ship. while there were lectures on Antarctica trip, no lectures by ship personnel on Norway trip. Our travel manager did give lectures.

I have not been on a luxury cruise, but I feel like I have been because my brother in law last month on Anthem kept saying “Well on Regent we would get all the Grey Goose we wanted” “Well on Regent the staff knew what you wanted before you even asked” “Well on Regent .....”

You get the idea. It is simply a different experience than a mass market cruise line, and one you are paying for.

But even BIL admitted there was nothing, but nothing, but nothing to do after 9 p.m. and he and my sis, late 50s, were by far the youngest cruisers.

I admit that I have gotten spoiled by mega ships and all the activities, and if I had the money, I would just pay for the most expensive suite on RCCL or some other line rather than Regent. But it certainly sounds like it has its charms.....

The whole "nothing to do" aspect is what is keeping me from booking a luxury line like Regent. I have a Celebrity coming up (first time on X) and I'm worried I'll be bored to death on that.

I know the devil is in the details, but I find cruises, in general, to be luxurious. I've sailed suites/Haven, etc.... and they just don't up the game enough to me. It's a testament to just how good mass-market cruising is. I can sit at the Solarium bar in a luxurious setting, with a bartender to chat with, excellent service, grab some food in the bistro, etc. But then I can do the mass-market entertainment as well. Can also do very nice specialty dining for a reasonable price. So I'm stuck with wondering just what I'll get on a luxury line and what I'd be missing.

I am with you though, I think I prefer just going with the mega ships and if I want an upmarket experience, book the suites.

I would not mind dong a upscale cruise line, but really like suites on rccl , liked the perks, but even perfer celebrity suites , since all there ships have suite restaurant and suite lounge with free drinks all day not just for a happy hour, our cruise was a music charter so entertainment was even better than rccl. Will do same cruise next year then try msc yacht club.

Interesting post.

We equate RCI & Carnival to Hilton & Hyatt vs "Luxury" cruise lines to Ritz Carlton & Four Seasons.

Our families have always been happy & satisfied with RCI & Carnival standards & service, at their pricing, just like Hilton & Hyatt is fine for us.

Although we've stayed at the Ritz & Four Seasons, all those stays were company paid, never paid on our own, as we feel although very nice, not really worth double & triple the price. So we haven't splurged yet for the "Luxury" cruise lines yet.

However, we have found that we do prefer land-based All-Inclusive resorts for same or lower pricing than cruising.

Also, we started River cruising earlier this year with Danube river cruise. Loved it. Just booked for Rhine river cruise for next year. My wife actually now prefers River cruising to going back to Carnival or RCI. Yes, it's a totally different experience. But for a slightly higher up-front price, we found that it's a better "Value", maybe a little cheaper by the time you factor in all All-Inclusives such as no extra tipping (besides to cruise director), alcohol included, tours included in each port, etc. Feels like we're not being nickle & dimed to death with ever increasing fees from RCI & Carnival.

So in short: Yes, we'll look into a "Luxury" cruise line one day, when money's no object, but not anytime soon.

But I think we're half-way there with River cruising &/or All-Inclusive land resorts...

We recently sailed with Silversea after many years of cruising ‘mainstream’ lines. It was an outstanding experience. No upselling, everything included, no photographers, no squirting hand sanitiser, no x ray machines, wonderful food, all staff knowing your name from the off, respectful fellow guests, suitcases taken away and cleaned etc. Guests were clearly expected to behave responsibly, and did. Incidentally the optional hand sanitiser was a wall mounted machine which delivered a fine spray, not a gloopy mass.

Interestingly the thing that stood out most for me was the fact that once on board, there was no distinction between guests. No special areas, special lines or obvious special treatment. Also the wonderful cruise director had an office in the main reception, and his door was always open.

The whole experience was really lovely, but for us most definitely a one off experience unless we got a very good deal! (I can dream...)

You do indeed get what you pay for.