Medical Emergency on Anthem (8/23/18) Sail

nelblu

Looking out my balcony (9650) and helicopter is hovering to land and take passenger off. At the Captain's Q&A at 1:30PM. an announcement was made for O- blood. Guess there were no volunteers. Hope everything is all right. We passed Nantucket at about 12PM and now it's 4:PM.

Helicopter, has been hovering for about 10 minutes and I believe just landed as the ship was maneuvering so that it could land.

Yesterday, we had another medical emergency when we left Halifax after 20 minutes and had to go back to drop Pax off.

I guess it's the age of the population on this ship.

It's a 9 niter from Bayonne to NE/CANADA.

I'm on NCL NYC to Canada to NYC. B2B ... 9/8th to 9/28th. First time I'll be on a ship for 20 days. Should be interesting.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. I am really sorry this happened to the person airlifted off, but also to you & everyone else onboard.

We were on the Oasis of the Seas and they had to medivac someone from the ship. We happened to be in the engine control room on a VIP tour when the bridge called. The engineer wouldn't take the first call .The bridge immediately called again (I could see the caller I'd) as the chief engineer giving us the tour took the call. He immediately hung up and yelled across the room "full power, medical emergency" . The engineering team jumped into action. The ship had to get closer to San Jaun to meet the helicopter. We left the engine room and continued the tour; we could feel the ship speed up and turn especially when we were in the laundry which is located on the lowest deck in the front .About two hours later we watched the helicopter arrive from our balcony .

It's a 9 niter from Bayonne to NE/CANADA.

Thanks for starting this thread and your updates. We will be doing this cruise on the Anthem next week. Nice to know that RCCL will take appropriate action if a cruisers has a medical emergency.

Looking out my balcony (9650) and helicopter is hovering to land and take passenger off. At the Captain's Q&A at 1:30PM. an announcement was made for O- blood. Guess there were no volunteers. Hope everything is all right. We passed Nantucket at about 12PM and now it's 4:PM.

Helicopter, has been hovering for about 10 minutes and I believe just landed as the ship was maneuvering so that it could land.

Yesterday, we had another medical emergency when we left Halifax after 20 minutes and had to go back to drop Pax off.

Actually Emergencies happen more then you think old or young. Had 3 Emergencies on one sailing alone last Dec. Witnessed dozens myself, 2-3 using Helicopters/baskets. Other's we went to different port, pilot boat came got back passenger, went back to port or full speed to next port..

The helicopters don't land on the ship. They hover in place to lower a basket to bring the person up. Sometimes it takes awhile to get in the right position.

Apparently that's not always true. It likely depends on a lot of conditions but that's what I've always heard. I'm not sure what happened on the Anthem, but on a recent thread about the Celebrity Summit the helicopter landed.

104fffe76486ac8824d6f1cc0325aab3.jpg

Very scary but assured in how well it’s handled. You’d know it’s have to be as large an organization RCL is. We travel with insurance and we are ‘young’. But my daughter has Type 1 diabetes. In 3 yrs she’s only been hospitalized once outside of diagnosis and it was bc of the flu. But traveling in a pertri dish and in other countries. You never know. I’d so much rather have the insurance than not. We chose to cruise over travel to another country because they have the facilities and are equipped to care for and evacuate in case of emergencies.

I’m glad these passengers got taken care of. Scary thought about the blood tho... many cruisers cannot donate bc they travel to countries on the ‘no no’ list. Honduras (Roatan) is a Port.. you can’t donate for 1 yr after visiting. I’m sure there are more.

Apparently that's not always true. It likely depends on a lot of conditions but that's what I've always heard. I'm not sure what happened on the Anthem, but on a recent thread about the Celebrity Summit the helicopter landed.

I believe Gayle was referring directly to the Anthem, it has no helipad as other ships do.

I believe Gayle was referring directly to the Anthem, it has no helipad as other ships do.

There are exceptions. It would have to be very calm

The fact that there is an evacuation in NO WAY "proves" that there were no volunteers to give blood.

The blood may have been needed to just stabilize the patient until s/he could be evacuated.

The blood may not have helped enough.

So many explanations. Don't jump to such conclusions.