Equinox ship wide power blackout

TommyD3

Solstice class ships are built with two separate engines in case one fails (learning from the Carnival Triumph fire). I also experienced a power outage on the Constellation, after the tech team updated their computers the prior day. That upgrade shorted out the ship's power. They repaired it while we were in port.

You should be up and running shortly. Happy sailing!

Wow... that does not sound good, Where are you headed?

they must have back up power for lights A/C and cooking... what about elevators , pool filters?

.hope they get this fixed ..stay safe

Ok even before this posted it was fixed! Hope it stays fixed!.,

How ling was ship stopped..any reason given,

HCAT - you gotta love it. Vessel lost power, not moving but adrift and your concern was about the pool filters! That's called cruising priority :cool:. Keep up that spirit :D

I am sure Celebrity appreciates these posts minutes after power went out--no one can give them a chance to fix it!

Why cause concern immediatley?

Well, for one thing -- I got an email, early this morning, from a friend who is onboard the ship. Her CPAP shut off, when the power went out -- a pretty disturbing wake-up call (especially with all of the lights off). I, for one, greatly appreciate the posts by Tommy, Charlie&Linda, and others, who are currently onboard. It's reassuring to hear that things appear to be under control. But, then again, I was sure that they would be, with Captain Kate at the helm! :cool:

HCAT - you gotta love it. Vessel lost power, not moving but adrift and your concern was about the pool filters! That's called cruising priority :cool:. Keep up that spirit :D

Health issue if not filtered...

, ....glad the CPAP issue resolved....

Okay, lets clear up a few things.

The ship has several generators, and these are located in two separate engine rooms, which by the way, even the Carnival and Costa ships brought up earlier have. The Carnival Splendor and Triumph fires caused damage to cabling from one engine room that passed through the other engine room (where the fire was), preventing the use of the generators in the undamaged engine room. The Costa Concordia, which I am assuming is the ship being referred to, had flooding in both engine rooms, since the gash in the side traversed both engine rooms.

Any ship can have a single point of failure that causes a total loss of power, or "black out", and even the newest ships, built to the "safe return to port" requirements can have this, these requirements only lessen the likelihood of a total blackout.

There is no "backup power" for AC, most certainly, and for very few passenger comfort items. The emergency generator is designed to carry loads required to get the ship evacuated, and not much else: steering, bilge pumps, lights, elevators, lifeboat davits, fire pumps.

Typically, when a ship experiences a black out, the automation senses the loss of power, and starts more generators, which will place themselves on the circuit as soon as possible. Hence the power coming back on within a couple of minutes. When a blackout happens, various large users of power are tripped (propulsion, AC) in order to allow a fewer number of generators coming on line to handle the load. Lighting and basic hotel services would be the first services restored. It then takes some time to restore power to the large users. And very often it is one of those large users of power that caused the blackout in the first place, so repairs may need to be done to get power back to propulsion or AC.

The lights and A/C were off in our cabin for about 10 minutes. When the lights were restored the A/C was back to blowing cold also. It took quite a while longer to get the elevators restored (even though they are supposed to be solar powered) and almost an hour to get moving again. Captain Kate did comment during the 10 AM announcements that the backup generator(s) kicked in right away like they were supposed to.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Forums mobile app