Southern Caribbean ports - which to avoid?

OP, I can understand if your question was about Western Caribbean ports, but in my opinion the Eastern and Southern are the best in the Caribbean. It's a preference thing, but we're done with Western Caribbean cruises. We just don't have a desire to go back to them. Eastern we could go back to over and over, and I can't wait for our first true "ABC" southern in March.

Dan

OP, I can understand if your question was about Western Caribbean ports, but in my opinion the Eastern and Southern are the best in the Caribbean. It's a preference thing, but we're done with Western Caribbean cruises. We just don't have a desire to go back to them. Eastern we could go back to over and over, and I can't wait for our first true "ABC" southern in March.

Dan

Western ports are Jamaica, Caymans, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan.

Id not avoid any of them.

Western ports are Jamaica, Caymans, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize and Roatan.

Id not avoid any of them.

Yeah, like I said it's a preference thing. I've been to all that you listed (except Belize) and they all fall below the Eastern Islands in my "pecking order".

The one "Eastern" that doesn't interest me much anymore is Puerto Rico. That would fall somewhere behind Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Dan

I have been to all of the islands you mentioned (and liked them all especially St. Lucia) except the ABC Islands which are on my bucket list. After reading your post, I started googling the ABC Islands and found this PDF link to the ABC islands. I haven't read it yet, but it looks like a keeper for information.

http://freecruisingguides.com/sites/default/files/abc_islands_2.0_2015.01.31ad.pdf

edit- The PDF seems to have a lot of information regarding boating there.

Edited by irisheileen

In Curaçao we loved Blue Bay.

$8 pp. Snorkeling off the beach is simply amazing.

Capital is pretty picturesque too and right near the port.

Don't want to hijack this awesome thread but we're doing ABC's in December and Curacao is the only stop we haven't booked an excursion. Could you provide some more info on Blue Bay? Thanks! (Woodwind and Sailaway at the other two)

On the original topic - researched itineraries extensively before booking our latest cruise and darn near 100% consensus was Southern itinerary not to be skipped and any of the options were fantastic.

Bonaire came up frequently with the "ocean playground" group, so we booked the ABC's. Can't wait. Final countdown is on!!!

Blue Bay is a resort, but they allow visitors. There are tons of loungers and some palapas.

If you arrive early you'll find some coconuts fallen from palm trees.

There is a bar.

I believe you can book their snorkeling or diving tours, but we did not use them as we had our own equipment.

We didn't do any research, just took a taxi (van) right from the port.

Snorkeling near the rocks there is really nice.c12b6f606a2051cd119e522e91931fda.jpgb79e3af5f0f7440113edd2ea928cae78.jpge9c6dba8e09a74826f5a67e388792b74.jpgfe7821b14c6dbff1dcf1f6f944b5f681.jpg

Unfortunately we didn't snorkel in Bonaire, but we were at some unusual place ... don't remember the name, but it starts from J. City.

It is very shallow and warm.

Offers great surfing and surfers watching

b6165e167e7d1c6236cf24719633c7bd.jpg4e5e53739982d93814a408c5b6683843.jpg

Blue Bay is a resort, but they allow visitors. There are tons of loungers and some palapas.

If you arrive early you'll find some coconuts fallen from palm trees.

There is a bar.

I believe you can book their snorkeling or diving tours, but we did not use them as we had our own equipment.

We didn't do any research, just took a taxi (van) right from the port.

Snorkeling near the rocks there is really nice.

Thank you so much! I think these pics seal the deal and Blue Bay will be the choice.

Do you recall what you paid for taxi?

Also like that it's a resort so restaurant/facilities are available if need be!

The most beautiful island in Caribbeans.

Excursions with proven independent operators like Cosol tours make it even better.

I agree with this!!

We did the St. Lucia full day tour with Cosol and took our snorkel gear! This was THE BEST excursion we have ever done! I can still smell that fresh baked bread... ahhhh!!!

We love all of those ports. In Bonaire the Woodwind snorkel catamaran tours is my favorite we have ever done in any port. . . . that is saying a lot.

Our tour was 2 drift snorkels. They had staff that went with 3 ability groups. [one group was on their own]. The staff pointed out things and helped if needed. There were a few total non swimmers aboard. [their own group] I really liked that they had masks with glasses prescriptions and wet suit tops for each person. It kept us from getting burned by the VERY strong sun at that latitude. and we had a great lunch on the way back.

They are very eco friendly.

Totally agree! Don't miss Bonaire. Some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean.

Unfortunately we didn't snorkel in Bonaire, but we were at some unusual place ... don't remember the name, but it starts from J. City.

looks like Luc (Lac) Bay we went to. It was glorious. We are still dreaming about it.

looks like Luc (Lac) Bay we went to. It was glorious. We are still dreaming about it.

Jibe City at Luc Bay on Bonaire is one of my favorite places in the Caribbean.

St. Kitts

In choosing an itinerary, can you guys tell me if any of these on the dumpier side? (Think Nassau or Falmouth). We will likely do water stuff/snorkeling at each port- any advice which ports would be good, and which you'd avoid?

I also love St Kitts. When we go, we rent a car (Avis is right by the port) and drive out the southeast peninsula where there is very little traffic. There are a few beach bars that make great hangouts.

enhance

Aruba

Bonaire

Curacao

St. John's

St. Lucia

Barbados

St. Kitts

In choosing an itinerary, can you guys tell me if any of these on the dumpier side? (Think Nassau or Falmouth). We will likely do water stuff/snorkeling at each port- any advice which ports would be good, and which you'd avoid?

Thanks!

AS others have said, I wouldn't hesitate to go to any of those ports.

Thank you so much! I think these pics seal the deal and Blue Bay will be the choice.

Do you recall what you paid for taxi?

Also like that it's a resort so restaurant/facilities are available if need be!

No.. sorry I don't remember.

It was New Year 2017 cruise :)

I don't remember it to be expensive though and we shared this ride with other people.

St Kitts used to be dangerous. In 2010 when we first visited this island around our dates Celebrity ship bus was stopped and passengers were robbed under the gun point.

At that time we rented a car and drove around the island stopping at Brimstone fortress and Cockleshell beach. You could tell that other than these places island was underdeveloped.

Last year we got completely different impression.

Much more developed and looks nicer.

It is officially off my list of less favorite places.

We loved South Friars beach. This time around we will go to lagoon on the right side. People are saying that snorkeling is nice there. You can even see a lobster. :)

We have been to Curacao and Bonaire - and LOVED them as well .. in Bonaire we rented golf carts to zip around and go where we wanted .. they gave us a map and we went up and down the coast - stopping to snorkel in a few places -was FABULOUS - HIGHLY recommend (I think it was $90) - best excursion we have done .. Curacao - we took a tour from people in town selling them - took us to a few places to see liqueur distillery - and then showed us a few different levels of living and then on to a beach where there were a bunch of hotels and a lagoon to snorkel - the snorkelling was pretty good .. and there were options to eat and drink - and then the bus took us back to the ship .. we are going on Freedom of the seas in Feb 2019 - and are going to aruba, curacao, st Thomas and st kitts -- CANT WAIT!

I also love St Kitts. When we go, we rent a car (Avis is right by the port) and drive out the southeast peninsula where there is very little traffic. There are a few beach bars that make great hangouts.

enhance

We would love to do the same!

One question, how did you find the road condition and driving condition? Did you purchase car insurance? I am always a little scared of driving in ports.