Taking wine onboard

John Cruise

You have to open it in your cabin. You can drink it anywhere.

It must be consumed in your cabin if you have not paid corkage.

Each guest 21 years^ and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

Each guest 21 years^ and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom.

Practically speaking, it just must be opened and poured in your stateroom, there is no rule about carrying a glass of wine with you to the dining room or other location.

It has to be in your checked baggage at embarkation.

Any wine brought onboard during embarkation must be in your "Carry-on" luggage. If it is discovered in your checked luggage, wine will be confiscated and returned to you the night before disembarkation.

Navybankerteacher, technically the rules state that you must consume it in your stateroom. Guess you need them to spell it out for you with every possible scenario. Most of us know what they mean with that simple statement.

Any wine brought onboard during embarkation must be in your "Carry-on" luggage. If it is discovered in your checked luggage, wine will be confiscated and returned to you the night before disembarkation.

Woops. Meant Carry-on. Thanks for correcting me.

One bottle per person is allowed without a corkage fee, we brought a third - we found a really good sale, it probably would have cost around $50 onboard. For additional bottle, we paid corkage in the terminal and a sticker was placed on the bottle. We had one of the bar waiters that we frequented open the bottle for us. Our biggest issue was that the dining room staff hated the wine glasses that we took from the room, they always transferred our wine to new glasses if we carried it in to dinner.

It has to be in your checked baggage at embarkation.

And we often wonder why people get confused reading these boards. :o:confused:

We just came off of the Westerdam last Sunday and had embarked in Vancouver. I had two bottles of wine (2 passengers) in my carry on luggage and there was never a place to declare it.

Interestingly, when we came back on ship from each stop there was a person making inquiries and a table to go to to declare.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just came off of the Westerdam last Sunday and had embarked in Vancouver. I had two bottles of wine (2 passengers) in my carry on luggage and there was never a place to declare it.

Interestingly, when we came back on ship from each stop there was a person making inquiries and a table to go to to declare.

Does that mean you could, technically, bring another bottle back for personal consumption from port? <hopefullly>

Navybankerteacher, technically the rules state that you must consume it in your stateroom. Guess you need them to spell it out for you with every possible scenario. Most of us know what they mean with that simple statement.

Would you stretch the rules enough to permit you to sip it on your balcony - unless those rules specifically defined being on your balcony as the equivalent of being “in your stateroom”?

Does that mean you could, technically, bring another bottle back for personal consumption from port? <hopefullly>

I believe the rule is just at embarkation, but I have brought one bottle back with me many times at ports of call and pass it through the scanner in my bag- a couple of times I have been asked to pay corkage, but most of the time it is simply ignored. I do not feel a moral imperative to insist on paying corkage on a bottle I have made no effort to conceal .

Yes, but it is subject to corkage of $18/bottle. Or it can be stored for you until night before disembarking.

My Husband and I usually take the HAL winery excursions, when offered. We have each brought back a bottle from these ports and there has never been a corkage fee. So, maybe it doesn't apply if you've been on a ship excursion.

My Husband and I usually take the HAL winery excursions, when offered. We have each brought back a bottle from these ports and there has never been a corkage fee. So, maybe it doesn't apply if you've been on a ship excursion.

That is correct, HAL permits one bottle of wine per person to be brought back from winery/vineyards on HAL excursions.

In that specific incident, yes. No one was there to check our carry on. We could’ve brought a bottle of liquor and no one would’ve known but, when boarding from a port, they did check.

Reading others comments, that does not sound like the norm but that was our experience. I would’ve much rather brought one bottle of Malibu than the two bottles of wine I brought adhering the their posted regulations.

You can definitely bring a bottle of wine on board from a port. It is subject to corkage fee though. I've never been lucky enough to escape the corkage fee ;)

Would you stretch the rules enough to permit you to sip it on your balcony - unless those rules specifically defined being on your balcony as the equivalent of being “in your stateroom”?

There's no stretching the rules for your balcony. The balcony is part of your stateroom accommodation that you have paid for and your private space.

It's a lot different than consuming in a public space ;)

And you can even take it to one of the public venues without a corkage fee. We were told that on a HAL tour, but when we took our bottle to the Pinnacle for dinner they wanted to charge us the corkage, but a word with the Front Desk changed that. They had not put a sticker on the bottle, so there was some confusion.