my time dining..separate dining room?

We've signed up for my time dining because we eat between 4-6pm..Our friends have signed up for a later set time...

1) do people with my time dining,,eat in a different dining room?

2) Can we on occasion sit with our friends during their set dining time?

3) What would be the difference for signing up for a specific dining time vs anytime dining with a set reservation time.

This will be our first time sailing with RCCL an we normally go for Anytime .

Yes there are separate dining rooms.

You won’t be allowed to join your friends as they are at a specific table either by themselves or with other guests.

With anything dining you can make a reservation for a different time for every day. (or the same time) your choice.

We've signed up for my time dining because we eat between 4-6pm..Our friends have signed up for a later set time...

3) What would be the difference for signing up for a specific dining time vs anytime dining with a set reservation time.

1) Yes, either a different dining room or aidfferent deck.

2) No

3) With traditional fixed dining, you eat at the same time, at the same table, with the same dining staff. No flexibility in time.

Your options to eat wth your friends would be to either switch to same dining plan, Windjammer, or a specialty restaurant.

1) Yes, either a different dining room or aidfferent deck.

2) No

3) With traditional fixed dining, you eat at the same time, at the same table, with the same dining staff. No flexibility in time.

Your options to eat wth your friends would be to either switch to same dining plan, Windjammer, or a specialty restaurant.

are you able to request the same table if you reserve a specific time? our friends eat at 7:00-7:30 and that's to late for me to eat. think I'll be falling asleep in my salad as I know they kind of draw out the meals :)

are you able to request the same table if you reserve a specific time? our friends eat at 7:00-7:30 and that's to late for me to eat. think I'll be falling asleep in my salad as I know they kind of draw out the meals :)

Yes, you can make reservations with your friends so you are at the same table.

Yes, you can make reservations with your friends so you are at the same table.

guess I need to clarify: if I made a reservation for 5pm each night..along with that reservation can I request the same table? I realize waitstaff may change due to schedules.

Deleted

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I just got off Mariner yesterday. I had a reservation for MTD at the same time every night. Was seated at the same table with the same waiter every night. Service was terrific. Sailing and eating as a solo, dinner never took more than an hour. Took much less time if I didn't order desert.

guess I need to clarify: if I made a reservation for 5pm each night..along with that reservation can I request the same table? I realize waitstaff may change due to schedules.

There is no facility to choose tables when making pre-cruise MTD reservations. If you want to arrange the same table as your friends have at a later time, that is something you might (and I stress might) be able to arrange on board by going to the MTD desk at the entrance to the dining room.

1: different floor than traditional dining

2: nope, and they cannot sit with you in MTD. You’ll have to book specialty dining if you want to eat together

3: technically, nothing. We usually get the same waitstaff if not the exact table location with MTD

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes there are separate dining rooms.

You won’t be allowed to join your friends as they are at a specific table either by themselves or with other guests.

With anything dining you can make a reservation for a different time for every day. (or the same time) your choice.

Not every ship has a separate dinning room.

Not every ship has a separate dinning room.

Which does not? Most have a two-level main dining room with one deck reserved for traditional dining and the other for My Time. I know that Quantum has (or did have) 5 dining rooms, but as I don’t plan to ever sail on her again, she doesn’t really count. When we were on her all dining was ‘My Time’ as you made reservations in the dining room of your choice for each night. (Hated it!)

Which does not? Most have a two-level main dining room with one deck reserved for traditional dining and the other for My Time. I know that Quantum has (or did have) 5 dining rooms, but as I don’t plan to ever sail on her again, she doesn’t really count. When we were on her all dining was ‘My Time’ as you made reservations in the dining room of your choice for each night. (Hated it!)
When I was on Majesty on the deck we went to for MTD it was only part of the deck we went to. No idea if that was the only deck that had MTD, but around 2/3 of that room looked to be traditional dining.

Ships that only have 2 main dining rooms most likely don't have half the people on MTD so they wouldn't get a whole room to themselves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yup. This is what we always do. Since we prefer to eat when the dining room first opens there is no problem getting the same table and wait staff. Lots of two-tops, although close to each other. If you like the location just ask the hostess when you leave and she will set you up for every night in the same location (and do their best if one night you need to come in later). On back to back cruises the waiters shift to a different location and we have had the choice of keeping the table or keeping the wait staff.

1: different floor than traditional dining

2: nope, and they cannot sit with you in MTD. You’ll have to book specialty dining if you want to eat together

3: technically, nothing. We usually get the same waitstaff if not the exact table location with MTD

We've been sailing with NCL which has MTD only..so I guess separate dining rooms would make sense for the set dining as they have a set table/set time. where as the MTD can come and go

Sometimes, they will overflow MTD people into the set dining rooms. If they have a rush of people arriving at MTD, they will call upstairs to the set time dining rooms to see if they have any table availability. We have had this happen several times. Even though we were "off-cycle" with the traditional diners, the servers seem to handle it well.

Just a guess, but if there are extra chairs at their table I doubt the waiter will care if you *sit* with your friends while they eat.

I read in another thread that the daily gratuities don't go to MTD staff. Is that true? It seems totally unfair, if true, as they're doing their jobs the same as other waiters and we're paying gratuities the same as other passengers.

I read in another thread that the daily gratuities don't go to MTD staff. Is that true? It seems totally unfair, if true, as they're doing their jobs the same as other waiters and we're paying gratuities the same as other passengers.

Totally false. The portion of daily grats that covers dining covers any and all dining staff: buffet, the promenade eateries, park cafe , poolside and MTD.

Ships that only have 2 main dining rooms most likely don't have half the people on MTD so they wouldn't get a whole room to themselves.

Sure they do, and there could be some mixing of traditional and MTD on one deck - that happens on many ships, not just the ones with two decks. RCI CEO mentioned year+ ago that on average MTD was at 40+% and climbing.

Totally false. The portion of daily grats that covers dining covers any and all dining staff: buffet, the promenade eateries, park cafe , poolside and MTD.

Thank you! I was worried that we wouldn't know whether to tip servers separately or not.

Sure they do, and there could be some mixing of traditional and MTD on one deck - that happens on many ships, not just the ones with two decks. RCI CEO mentioned year+ ago that on average MTD was at 40+% and climbing.
Wow, surprised it's that high. Wonder what their tipping point would be to get rid of traditional dining completely.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk