Royal Caribbean the McDonalds of cruise lines?

Robo1098

I was out with some friends this weekend. One of the women that has been on 22 cruises with NCL said that she thought that Royal Caribbean was the McDonalds of cruise lines. I have to say I was kind of hurt by this. Don't really agree with this either. I thought for the most part NCL was similar to slightly above RCI. Am I wrong on this?

3 minutes ago, Robo1098 said:

... I thought for the most part NCL was similar to slightly above RCI. Am I wrong on this?

There's no universal right or wrong on this. It's subjective, and different people will have different opinions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

There's no universal right or wrong on this. It's subjective, and different people will have different opinions.

I know it is a matter of opinion I was just wondering in general how they compare. I have cruised primarily on Royal but I did do two on Carnival and quickly returned to Royal.  

11 minutes ago, Robo1098 said:

I was out with some friends this weekend. One of the women that has been on 22 cruises with NCL said that she thought that Royal Caribbean was the McDonalds of cruise lines. I have to say I was kind of hurt by this. Don't really agree with this either. I thought for the most part NCL was similar to slightly above RCI. Am I wrong on this?

I've sailed on RCCL, Celebrity, and Carnival and each one has things that are better or worse than the other.

I prefer RCCL because I like newer ships and they have more to do for longer cruises. I still prefer Carnival for shorter (3-4 night) trips, and Celebrity was great for less frills and more relaxation. 

I'd lump NCL, RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, Holland (to an extent), and MSC, all to be in the same general class of cruise line.

Funny comment from your friend.  I have sailed NCL, in their best product (Haven) and it's highly unlikely I'd book NCL again unless the pricing/itinerary were just perfect - and there was not a comparable Royal sailing.

The NCL entertainment is totally lacking, their ship design is lacking, their drink package is not remotely as good as Royals, their internet is slow, etc.  I mean, to suggest that NCL is a step above Royal is laughable.

NCL's pool area is horrifically overcrowded, no solarium, the ships are enclosed and cramped.  It just goes on and on.  Really, NCL has easily been the worst cruise I've been on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

An odd comment.  I guess maybe NCL is Burger King or Wendy's.

That was exactly what I said to my wife. LOL. I can only assume since she had only cruised NCL she was only going by what NCL cheerleaders were saying.

7 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Symphony of the Seas cost about $1.3 billion to build. When McDonald's invests that much coin in something then we can make a comparison.

Well McDonalds does have an ad budget of $2 billion so that is in that league. I actually like McDonalds but I didn't care for the comparison or inference she made.

Everything is relative.  If she had sailed mostly on NCL's newer ships then tried Enchantment I could see such a conclusion. 

If I sailed just Oasis class then sailed NCL's Jewel or Sky I would likely have a Motel 6 reference in mind.   

Everyone should try different cruise lines to find what floats their boat (ship).  We are not the same and our cruise needs are different. Each line has old, tired, small ships and each has new flashy ships.  Compare apples to apples.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Robo1098 said:

Well McDonalds does have an ad budget of $2 billion so that is in that league. I actually like McDonalds but I didn't care for the comparison or inference she made.

Advertising doesn't make the product better. In any event, McD's has stepped up their game lately. The service levels have improved noticeably in the past year, compared to the past four decades I've frequented their stores. But still, not a good comparison for a place where you only spend 15-20 minutes at a time, to do a single thing, vs. a week or so, to do many things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Advertising doesn't make the product better. In any event, McD's has stepped up their game lately. The service levels have improved noticeably in the past year, compared to the past four decades I've frequented their stores. But still, not a good comparison for a place where you only spend 15-20 minutes at a time, to do a single thing, vs. a week or so, to do many things.

I worked at McDonald's 4 decades ago and it was way better than now.  We cooked, we didn't assemble. 🍔🍟🥤

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Robo1098 said:

That was exactly what I said to my wife. LOL. I can only assume since she had only cruised NCL she was only going by what NCL cheerleaders were saying.

She has never even sailed Royal and had such a strong opinion... Doh!

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I worked at McDonald's 4 decades ago and it was way better than now.  We cooked, we didn't assemble. 🍔🍟🥤

It's really not true that it was better decades ago.  Almost all of their changes since 40 years ago has been in how quickly they can push out fresher food.  They have always been about speed, which means they weren't cooking made to order, even in the very beginning.  Decades ago they were making sandwiches and keeping them in warming racks.  15 - 20 years ago they were able to assemble the sandwiches to order, with meat from a holding tray. They have only improved since then how they can get closer and closer to cooked to order, to the point where they are actually cooking quarter pounders to order now.  I say this as a former McDonalds manager.  It's way better today than it used to be.

1 hour ago, Robo1098 said:

I have to say I was kind of hurt by this.

Why be hurt by a comparison to McDonalds? McDonalds is the most successful quick-serve restaurant in history. It pulls in more than 20 billion dollars a year. Other businesses wish they did as well as McDonalds. And, much like Royal, people whine about the food but keep coming back nonetheless. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BNBR said:

It's really not true that it was better decades ago.  Almost all of their changes since 40 years ago has been in how quickly they can push out fresher food.  They have always been about speed, which means they weren't cooking made to order, even in the very beginning.  Decades ago they were making sandwiches and keeping them in warming racks.  15 - 20 years ago they were able to assemble the sandwiches to order, with meat from a holding tray. They have only improved since then how they can get closer and closer to cooked to order, to the point where they are actually cooking quarter pounders to order now.  I say this as a former McDonalds manager.  It's way better today than it used to be.

You lost me at meat from a holding tray. 😱

Honestly, it just tasted better in 1979

Personally I think McCaffe ruined the concept.  Slows everything down.

Go to Starbucks

Edited by John&LaLa

3 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You lost me at meat from a holding tray. 😱

Honestly, it just tasted better in 1979

Lol.  I can't argue with that as I wasn't eating McDonalds in 1979.  The holding trays weren't bad if the rules were followed.  The problem is with the employees who make too much then just keep resetting the timers.  Laziness and lack of management.  I was always impressed with McDonalds quality but ONLY when the rules were followed perfectly.  Unfortunately, that's their #1 challenge (like most businesses).

By the way, the meat in the holding tray is certainly far better to an entire assembled sandwich in a holding tray for 20 minutes 🙂

Edited by BNBR

The now discontiued McD pizza was awesome and way better than those you get at Cafe Promenade. Still craving for one. You could actually custom order your McD burger back in 1979 by filling out a grill order at the cashier counter. Many people just didn't know about it.