Symphony OTS Live! - Transatlantic Oct. 28, 2018 "Coming to America"

twangster

2 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Loving your review!  Thank you for sharing all the wonderful pictures!  That solarium is really beautiful, as is the rest of the ship.  Can't wait for our March cruise.

Could anyone please tell me if the Solarium is open to everyone? I believe that someone told me it was adults only but was wondering if it was restricted further than that like to only special staterooms or Diamond members or something? Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, sh2738 said:

Could anyone please tell me if the Solarium is open to everyone? I believe that someone told me it was adults only but was wondering if it was restricted further than that like to only special staterooms or Diamond members or something? Thanks. 

You have to be 16 years old or older.  No other restrictions.  Some ships when in China restrict the solarium to suite guests.  No so on most ships.

I am assuming you are shooting in Aperture mode.  Would an APS-C camera with a 17-50/f2.8 deliver somewhat similar pictures. (Nikon D5100).  Your colors are so vivid with little blur.  Also how do find such large spaces that are empty?  You must not sleep... hehe.

47 minutes ago, spudman9 said:

I am assuming you are shooting in Aperture mode.  Would an APS-C camera with a 17-50/f2.8 deliver somewhat similar pictures. (Nikon D5100).  Your colors are so vivid with little blur.  Also how do find such large spaces that are empty?  You must not sleep... hehe.

I use different modes as I have learned how to manipulate my cameras and based on how efficient I have been leveraging a drink package or the Diamond Lounge.   Since I shoot in RAW I have found that Auto mode can be very compatible with the drink package.   

When I want to control depth of field aperture priority is great.  When I need a fast shutter to control shake shutter priority.  

I shoot many pictures most of which get thrown away.  The benefit us learning what works and what doesn't.  If in doubt take the picture.  

Some of my photos, all of them during sail away are from a point and shoot.  So an APS-C absolutely can take great pictures.  Go for it!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

I use different modes as I have learned how to manipulate my cameras and based on how efficient I have been leveraging a drink package or the Diamond Lounge.   Since I shoot in RAW I have found that Auto mode can be very compatible with the drink package.   

When I want to control depth of field aperture priority is great.  When I need a fast shutter to control shake shutter priority.  

I shoot many pictures most of which get thrown away.  The benefit us learning what works and what doesn't.  If in doubt take the picture.  

Some of my photos, all of them during sail away are from a point and shoot.  So an APS-C absolutely can take great pictures.  Go for it!

I use an APS-C, but never in RAW since I use an EyeFi card to transfer to my phone. I like the 10-28 for around the ship, unless its low light.

Huge favor to ask. I know it's a long shot but since you are on the ship and can check for me. I need to know if room 10226 Junior Suite has a couch bed. Why you ask? I booked my family on Symphony for June of 2019 back in January. Spent long time with Royal Rep picking rooms. They just sent me an email saying due to a glitch in their system they booked me in the wrong rooms. My JS only holds 2 not 3 and the balcony next door 10224 which I also booked also only holds 2 instead of 3. Problem is we are family of 5. Ugh. Rep couldn't help me and I'm currently waiting for a Supervisor to get back to me to resolve this issue. I thought all JS came with a couch bed but Rep told me no...Anyway, I know it's a lot to ask but it was worth me taking the chance. Thanks and I will continue to keep up on your blog.  Gorgeous pictures. Looks like a fantastic ship and amazing trip you are on.  

Day 2 - Sea Day

Moving South and West as we somewhat hug the coast of Spain.  Windy today, top decks closed.  The ship is handling great, minimal movement.

After staying up into the wee hours of the morning on my photo shoot last night I slept in today.  Up in time to make the Windjammer for breakfast.  It's a been a while since I've sailed Oasis class and I've got to remember there are other options for breakfast.

Lazy day, just the way I like them.  I didn't take a lot pictures as I am still exploring the ship.  Plenty of sea days to come for me to take pictures when hopefully it won't be as windy.

Random thoughts and observations

As offered before we boarded due to the large numbers on board, the Diamond/Diamond Plus area incorporates the "Entertainment Plaza".  The Diamond Lounge, Jazz on 4 and The Attic.  They have been pretty busy during happy hour times.  The Attic is the only venue with a walk up bar where the other two have wait staff walking around taking drink orders.  Staff at each door check cards.

The latest version of the Royal app incorporates a personal calendar.  It now displays entertainment reservations but not My Time Dining or spa reservations.  

Being so close to the Abyss slide is interesting.  When someone slides down it makes a sound.  Four dongs followed by a whoop sound.  Often people scream.  While the patio door does a good job blocking most sounds, those make it through.  I might make it a ring tone, it's burned into my psyche.  

No water bottles were in my cabin from C&A.  Some sparking wine and a beer based on my preferences.  Today a bottle of Chandon was dropped off in ice with two flutes.  Nice.  

When I boarded one of the letters in my cabin addressed my transfer to Serenade after this cruise.  It will be provided by Royal.  I was planning to use Lyft or Uber so Royal offering to provide the transfer is very much appreciated. Loyalty does pay.

The thermostat in my cabin was on high when I arrived.  I had to turn it down from 'bake' last night so I could sleep.

My account in the Royal app fixed itself overnight.  I can now see my folio and charges to my account in the app.  

I dropped by the loyalty desk.  Based on points I qualify for a glass block on this cruise.  My Adventure points just posted Friday.  He didn't have me down for a block and thanked me for stopping by.  He'll add me to the list.  Over 280 glass blocks being handed out this cruise.  They'll go out for delivery to our cabins day 5 or 6.

I skipped lunch today.  I'm still burning off the calories I picked up on Adventure not long ago.  If my belly gets any bigger I might need to start picking out names.  Well past a baby bump, I've entered the third trimester.  At this rate I'll qualify for and become a rock start in the belly flop contest by the next cruise. Where's that gym?

Edited by twangster

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I was pleased to discover that Symphony accepted my old "Muster Station E2" Wow band and gave me a new one that has no muster station on it.   No charge.

I'm very pleased to hear this. I like the band but don't care to pay for it very cruise.

I'll also say that your pictures are great, especially the night shots.  Do you use Lightroom on a laptop?

Unrelated but in response to one of your posts from a couple of days ago, when traveling internationally I download offline versions of Google Maps and Google Translate language packs.  That let's me use both apps without a data connection, saving on phone plan costs.  GPS works without a data connection and you can track your taxi location in real time.  When you need to yell at the taxi driver for taking you the wrong way to rack up a bigger fare, Google Translate comes in handy. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'll also say that your pictures are great, especially the night shots.  Do you use Lightroom on a laptop?

Unrelated but in response to one of your posts from a couple of days ago, when traveling internationally I download offline versions of Google Maps and Google Translate language packs.  That let's me use both apps without a data connection, saving on phone plan costs.  GPS works without a data connection and you can track your taxi location in real time.  When you need to yell at the taxi driver for taking you the wrong way to rack up a bigger fare, Google Translate comes in handy. :classic_biggrin:

Yes, Lightroom on laptop.

I used to use offline maps but now with TMobile it's included everywhere I go.  No additional charges.

Day 2 - Ice Skating Show "1977"

No cruise is complete without checking out the ice skating show.  Royal has put a lot effort incorporating technology into entertainment and "1977" benefits from this trend.  They've amped up the projection technology on Symphony.

fohDzTc.jpg

The show starts out with dozens of drones hovering over the ice and flying in formation as each changes color independently at times and as a formation.  You can't capture this in still images, you have to see it live.

xUt82Yt.jpg

All the little purple and blue lights are individual drones.

yMiATWg.jpg

zZk2Hrb.jpg

vixHump.jpg

jPfGdDz.jpg

w9xHTBL.jpg

T2yEThL.jpg

yCTpwRH.jpg

OjMMbb3.jpg

NzGOupn.jpg

GXME0oy.jpg

yq0cwkN.jpg

1Le0DUM.jpg

m6QmCRN.jpg

A very memorable part involves fast wardrobe changes for one skater incorporated into the routine almost before our eyes. 

Impossible to display in still photos, another thing best viewed live. 

While the storyline strays a little at times when taken in it's entirety it is a great show to watch.  Oh yeah, they made it snow during one part of the show.  Amazing. 

HLC9QAr.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lvscruzn said:

Thanks for sharing. Will be following along all the way as I am anxiously awaiting November 17th so we can board!!  Love the pictures!

We will be getting on when you are getting off. Take care of her.