Baseball caps in restaurants

cruiser man 60

1 minute ago, SlipperyVic said:

People wearing hats in the main dining room or the buffet does not bother me in the least.

To improve the ambiance of the dining rooms I suggest they make some of the passengers wear paper bags on their heads. 

That would help the bald people.

To me hats should not be worn indoors at any time, but that is just me!!   However I was gobsmacked on the Arizona a couple of years ago to see men still wearing caps; downright disrespectful.  Would you wear one at a service in church?

On the Sea Princess people clapped at the end of a Commemorative Service for those who died when HMAS Sydney sank!!!!   Again would you clap at the end of a church service?

On 10/26/2018 at 12:53 PM, cruiser man 60 said:

Recently returned from a Norwegian Star cruise and was surprised by how many Americans wear baseball caps inside constantly and even to dinner. Is this normal in USA restaurants or is it just bald men wearing them ?

I have read through all the posts. It seems to me that people are assuming that OP is talking about dinner, but I'm not sure that is what OP means. There are times when ball caps may be appropriate in certain venues like the buffet at lunch or when grabbing a snack.

As a general rule, ball caps in the other dining rooms are in poor taste.

Oh my goodness!!! I really, truly despise the use of any type of hat in any enclosed environment. Indoors in a cruise ship it works make me dizzy and make me lose my balance to the point of bouncing off walls like a pinball. Every time I see someone in a restaurant with a hat or cap it makes my food taste like it came out of a garbage truck at noon.

(That was full sarcasm for those that didn't get it)

Let me tell you something: I'm a Gen X guy in my mid 40's who uses baseball-type caps all the time. I have a full head of hair (well, a bit receded, actually) and style my hair every day for work. I wash my hair every single day (for those talking about questionable hygienic habits of those who wear hats) and consider myself to have quite good table and social manners. Wearing a cap indoors in a completely casual setting (does it get any more causal than a cruise ship?) is nothing to get all riled up about. I mean, do I really need to remove muy hat as I board the ship while half the people around me are in their swimsuits or swim shorts? Please... It's all generational; baby boomers see things different that Gen X-ers, they see it different than Gen Y, different than millennial, etc. I know enough to not wear a hat to a restaurant (fast food joints not included) but that doesn't mean I'll look down, frown or despise anyone that decides to do so. It certainly will NOT influence the fun or overall enjoyment of my vacation. I'm cruising in less than a month and I will be taking a few of my caps along. I might even wear some backward too! I'd that takes away from your vacation...... so be it! I'm not apologizing.

Edited by Stinger-pr
  • Like 4

On 10/26/2018 at 1:13 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

Even NCL doesn't allow baseball hats/visors in the MDR or specialty restaurants according to the dress code but I can't imagine the staff asking a guest to remove a hat.

I was on the Gem last week and the hostess in the MDR  asked the man in front of me in line to remove his baseball cap !.

Typically if there is a dress code for a nice restaurant, ball caps are on the no-no list.  Cruise ships have a dress code to promote a certain ambiance and decorum. 

I was schooled in general etiquette as a kid and caps or hats, especially for men were inappropriate at the dining table.  Don't get me wrong...I wear caps or hats ashore or outside on cruises to help keep the sun off my face and to keep my scalp from burning, but a ball cap in a nice dining venue at dinner is something  at which Miss Manners (for those of us who remember that column), would wag a disapproving finger. (not THAT finger!)  "Don't wear your hat in the house" was a rule.   Over the decades, it is my observation that the younger generations may not be aware of dinner etiquette--many don't even sit down to dinner with their families, so who will teach them?  

Fashion requirements have definitely relaxed over the years though, and likely will continue.  That said, if you defy the requested dress code at a restaurant or any specific venue, some passengers will take note and make their judgments accordingly.  Thus the thousands of posts on dress code topics on this board will continue ad nauseam.

On 10/26/2018 at 9:53 AM, cruiser man 60 said:

Recently returned from a Norwegian Star cruise and was surprised by how many Americans wear baseball caps inside constantly and even to dinner. Is this normal in USA restaurants or is it just bald men wearing them ?

I would say it's normal now, and accepted by most people in the US. If you come to the US you would see that repeated in most restaurants. Some fancy places might have a rule against they enforce, but not many. I'm in California, and different parts of the USA have slightly different customs. 

I believe dress standards are at an all time low on NCL, I also think NCL allow it in MDR so they can lower the standards of food, look at it this way if people are sloppy why can’t the food, and service follow suit.

This is just an observation, but how many people do you see not even washed or changed for dinner, sharing a table when you have made an effort.

7 hours ago, Another ship trip said:

Typically if there is a dress code for a nice restaurant, ball caps are on the no-no list.  Cruise ships have a dress code to promote a certain ambiance and decorum. 

I was schooled in general etiquette as a kid and caps or hats, especially for men were inappropriate at the dining table.  Don't get me wrong...I wear caps or hats ashore or outside on cruises to help keep the sun off my face and to keep my scalp from burning, but a ball cap in a nice dining venue at dinner is something  at which Miss Manners (for those of us who remember that column), would wag a disapproving finger. (not THAT finger!)  "Don't wear your hat in the house" was a rule.   Over the decades, it is my observation that the younger generations may not be aware of dinner etiquette--many don't even sit down to dinner with their families, so who will teach them?  

Fashion requirements have definitely relaxed over the years though, and likely will continue.  That said, if you defy the requested dress code at a restaurant or any specific venue, some passengers will take note and make their judgments accordingly.  Thus the thousands of posts on dress code topics on this board will continue ad nauseam.

You are comparing apples and oranges.  Check out any fancy restaurant at a tourist destination.  The dress code is more relaxed.  NCL successfully discovered people on vacation want to be comfortable.  This means....(good gosh) jeans, shorts, T shirts, baseball hats in restaurants.  YOU ARE FREE to wear a suit or tuxedo every night to dinner. Please let other enjoy their vacation.  On NCL you can stick to Le Bistro and Manhattan for your suit or collared shirt.  None of us will judge you so please let us on vacation eat in peace without judgments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trimone said:

I believe dress standards are at an all time low on NCL, I also think NCL allow it in MDR so they can lower the standards of food, look at it this way if people are sloppy why can’t the food, and service follow suit.

This is just an observation, but how many people do you see not even washed or changed for dinner, sharing a table when you have made an effort.

Who cares?  Why waste time and energy worrying about someone at another table?  Enjoy your vacation and focus on your own table.  You paid good money for a vacation...  go out and enjoy it...  Why deliberately make yourself miserable worrying that some person wore a (gasp) ballcap!  

I must be in the dying minority. I have an 11 yo and 7 yo. My sons were taught to remove their hats at the table.  Regardless if we're at McDo's or a nice restaurant (although, if we're going to a nice restaurant, it's highly unlikely they're wearing a hat, to begin with).  Not a fan of rocking pajamas in public either. How slovenly the American public has become.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chapchap said:

I must be in the dying minority. I have an 11 yo and 7 yo. My sons were taught to remove their hats at the table.  Regardless if we're at McDo's or a nice restaurant (although, if we're going to a nice restaurant, it's highly unlikely they're wearing a hat, to begin with).  Not a fan of rocking pajamas in public either. How slovenly the American public has become. 

Could not agree more.  Too many people are myopic and only concerned about themselves and thus don't care what others wear and it doesn't effect them at all.  I, on the other hand look at the big picture and what others wear does indeed influence the ambiance at a particular dining establishment.  But of course this is the NCL boards where freestyle rules and ambiance is out the window, so wear your baseball caps on backwards and your hole filled blue jeans or cut offs because you'll fit right in with the me crowd who have blinders on regarding anybody else in the room.

• Thanks 1

We were on the Sun last month and the dress code was being enforced in the MDR.  The person at the kiosk politely told the man in a baseball hat it was not allowed and he would have to remove it.  People were not allowed in the MDR in shorts either except on the first day.  Personally I was happy to see it enforced.  If there is a dress code it should be followed especially since there are alternate places to eat if you don't want to abide.

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

You are comparing apples and oranges.  Check out any fancy restaurant at a tourist destination.  The dress code is more relaxed.  NCL successfully discovered people on vacation want to be comfortable.  This means....(good gosh) jeans, shorts, T shirts, baseball hats in restaurants.  YOU ARE FREE to wear a suit or tuxedo every night to dinner. Please let other enjoy their vacation.  On NCL you can stick to Le Bistro and Manhattan for your suit or collared shirt.  None of us will judge you so please let us on vacation eat in peace without judgments.

I didn't say I was judging.  But  there are plenty who are.  I have way better things to do than to worry about others' apparel.  I stopped wearing formal wear on NCL when they relaxed the requirement.    When I am on vacation, I am going to dress comfortably.  That said, I will still adhere to a dress code for a restaurant if one has been posted.  That's all.

Etiquette and proper manners never go out of style but you would never know it in any American restaurant.  Along with baseball caps you will see elbows on tables, talking with their mouth full, etc.  A surprising number of men don’t even know which fork is for the salad on a properly set dinner table or that the funny looking knife on that little plate is a butter knife.  Sadly, some of my own in-laws fall into this category. 

• Like 2