Ten Questions from a New Cruiser

ninjatoes

Hello all. I just booked my first ever cruise - December 16-23 on Eurodam to the Mexican Riviera. I chose it, in part, because it leaves from where I live - San Diego - but also because I like the idea of a more laid-back, low-key experience instead of a huge party ship. I'm sailing solo and plan to spend my sea days just relaxing, eating good food, hearing good music, and enjoying being on the ocean. I haven't quite decided how I'll spend my port days yet. 

I have done a lot of internet research already about HAL and cruising in general, including following the CC boards for several weeks, but I do have a few questions (some perhaps a bit odd) that I'm hoping folks could answer or confirm for me. 

1) Regarding non-alcoholic drinks - Coffee, hot tea, iced tea, and lemonade are all free and always available? Juices are free at breakfast, but no other time? Do I have that correct?

2) I am planning to buy flowers for my stateroom and I've been looking at the options on HAL's website. How accurate are the pictures? What I mean is, will the bouquet I order actually be similar to what's advertised or will I get a bunch of lilies even though I ordered a bouquet that had none? Anybody have experience with this?

3) I'm used to leaving the do not disturb sign on my hotel door and only having housekeeping service if and when I actually need it. It sounds like the stewards on cruises are coming and going several times a day, and I have even read about stewards who've ignored the DND sign. Is that common? I don't need my sheets changed daily and I certainly don't need turn down service. I also don't expect them to tidy up any of my stuff for me. Is it unreasonable for me to ask them to just empty the trash and replace towels when needed? 

4) I was lucky enough to book 4168 which has a doublewide balcony. From pictures I've seen online, it has lounge chairs as well as regular chairs. Anyone know if that's standard or do I need to request one?

5) I'm an introvert and will be happy eating alone much of the time. Can I request a 2 seater in the MDR or for special dining and expect to be seated alone?

6) The trip is the week before the Christmas cruise. Will it be decorated already? Do they do anything special in the spirit of the season?

7) I've seen mention of lactose free milk being available. Is that true? Does HAL actually have lactose free cow milk on board? 

8) As a woman, should I have any safety concerns if I feel like wandering around the ship by myself at 3:30 in the morning? It seems like it shouldn't be an issue, but I'm also not naive, so I thought I'd ask.

9) Sel de Mer - I adore French cuisine, but is it really worth $49? 

10) Gala nights are usually on sea days, correct? 

Thanks all for taking the time to answer what you can. I'm really excited about the trip!

1-yes - non alcoholic drinks ( coffee, tea, etc.) in the Lido and through room service 24/7

2-no experience with the flowers, however, HAL has a reputation for nice floral arrangements in the public areas.

3-Speak to your stewards on the first day and let them know your wishes.  They normally only change the sheets every third day (I believe)  My guess is that they would like to get in at least once a day so they can keep "on top" of the cleaning. I have never had them come in when my do not disturb sign is posted.  I am a late riser and have not had any interruptions!

4-don't know

5- I'm usually a solo cruiser also.  Have always been able to get a table by myself when I wanted it.  They have said I may have to wait in the MDR but the longest wait has only  been a couple of minutes!

6-there will be Christmas decorations up the week before Christmas.  

7- don't know

8- I'm a woman and feel just fine on the ship as far as safety is concerned.  I have been a little uncomfortable only once when sitting next to a passenger who was a bit intrusive at a bar, but I could see the bartender was keeping an eye out.  I left when I finished my drink. Just be aware of your surroundings and if anything seems odd, just approach a crew member.

9-I enjoyed Sel de Mer very much.  "Worth it" is subjective.

10-yes

Have a great trip and I believe you will enjoy HAL as well as the solo cruise experience!!

~Nancy

• Like 1

Re: Flowers on board

We order flowers quite often (usually the same one every time) and they have always looked exactly like the pictures. We usually order the Carnation bouquet (Pippa) because they last the longest. The mixed rose bouquets are lovely also, but they only last about a week. We add water as needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ninjatoes said:

I3)  Is it unreasonable for me to ask them to just empty the trash and replace towels when needed? 

6) The trip is the week before the Christmas cruise. Will it be decorated already? Do they do anything special in the spirit of the season?

9) Sel de Mer - I adore French cuisine, but is it really worth $49? 

Thanks all for taking the time to answer what you can. I'm really excited about the trip!

#3  Morning service is at a time determined by you.  During the morning service the room is cleaned, towels replaced, any dirty dishes (Room Service breakfast), fresh fruit is delivered, your minibar is checked for any consumed beverages, balcony is cleaned, ice is refreshed, used glassware is replaced, an anything needing repair is noted for the Maintenance team to repair.  

are removedTurn down service occurs while you are at dinner. 

During the evening service your used towels are replaced, room is vacuumed and dusted, ice is refreshed, any trash is dumped, towel animals are created and placed on your bed along with the breakfast card, chocolates, and On Locations for the next day. 

The room cleaning/refreshing several times a day provides a sense of pampering only crusing provides.  Discuss the subject with your Room Steward on Embarkation Day and give it a try. 

#6  HAL starts decorating for the holidays right after Thanksgiving.

#9  I have enjoyed Sel de Mer twice and was impressed with not only the quality but the quantity.  Here is the menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Sol-de-Mer.pdf

I would also highly recommend the Tamarind ($25) for Asian cuisine prepared to your spice desires.

Enjoy your cruise planning and feel free to ask lots of questions.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

1) Yes. On my most recent cruise, I found that at the drink machines, some juices are available all day in the Lido. It was really nice to be able to get a mix of Guava Juice & Lemonade or Cranberry Juice & Lemonade with lunch.

2) My only experience with flowers was when I received a complimentary arrangement because HAL had mess up something. It was lovely and lasted through my 12-day cruise.

3) I would recommend talking to your stewards as soon as possible. I know they have to check in with each room daily, before they are allowed time off, so making sure they know you won't require anything more than a tidy will be helpful to you both.

5) Yes, you can request a table for one an expect to be seated alone.

6) Yes, the ship is decorate throughout the festive season.

7) I have seen lactose-free milk in cartons, but you may have to ask for it.

😎 I have never felt unsafe on the ships as a woman alone, though I preferred to be in busy areas rather than quiet ones. Several times that resulted in early nights.

10) Usually, or days when port stops are short and all-abord is early afternoon.

• Like 1

From what I have been told the patio furniture that comes with your room is what you get.  So if there is not a lounge chair, you won't be able to get one ( people on the boards have reported asking and been told no)

I travel solo and have never once felt unsafe on the ship at any time of the day.  There are cameras everywhere and there is almost always a crew member around cleaning or working.  

• Like 1

I think all your questions have been answered so I will just expand on the flowers.

Question 4 - yes, the flowers will look like what is shown on line but if you wait until you are on board to order, there are many more selections of bouquets / arrangements to choose from and there may even be suggestions.  Flowers on HAL are well done whether you order them in advance or on board 😄 

• Like 1

Welcome to HA and these discussion boards.  You've selected a nice ship.  Eurodam has a spacious promenade teak deck with lounge chairs.  It's quiet.  Many passengers choose to sit for hours and read/snooze here.  Others enjoy walking the deck as it circles around the ship.  Even with a large balcony, you may want to check out this deck, especially if your balcony doesn't have a lounger.  We've had a double-wide balcony on other ships, which had 2 loungers.  Whether this will hold true for yours, I don't know.  

Yes, the ship will be decorated to an extent.  The one pre-Christmas cruise we took on Zuiderdam (eight years ago), some decorations were up, but on our last day, some of the staff spent a good part of the day in the Atrium putting together a huge gingerbread village which was promptly covered as each section was completed.  Other decorations were going up as well, which were also covered.  DH and I decided that was the last pre-holiday cruise we'd book.  Each year since, we've been on for Christmas.  Having said all this, you can expect some decorations.  Last year on Koningsdam, it was disappointing because there were few decorations.  Given the austere nature of this ship, maybe that was the idea.  We'll see how NS, the newest sister to the fleet, is decorated this year.

Have you considered booking a cabana?  You'd definitely have two loungers, plus several stewards to wait on you, even bringing you your lunch if that's what you desire.  Were I traveling alone, I'd look into this option.

I hope you find HA a good fit; there are always many single travelers aboard.  Please post a review when you return. 

• Like 1

You might also want to explore the  surcharge Thermal Spa pass, if the weather is not great outdoors -  I will be doing the Eurodam cruise over the holidays right after you. You picked a good ship and a very good itinerary.

What to do in port? - all of them are very accessible on your own. We have taken this route several times and so now find we do the same things when we go back, having also taken many of the excursions to outlying areas which can be good too.

Do it yourself options: 

MAZATLAN - check out walking to the Centro Historico and the Malecon (seaside) from the ship if you like to walk, or take the little ferry by the port over to Stone Island, if you want a rustic beach experience

PUERTO VALLARTA - take a local bus (they take dollars) across from where the ship docks marked going to the downtown "Malecon" to walk, shop, dine and enjoy the historic center - and realize the bus back to the ship ( docked by the Walmart) will be on the one way street opposite of where you got off at the seaside Malecon. We love shopping at Galeria Indigena in downtown for authentic Talavera pottery items - not the cheap tourist stuff that is offered most everywhere else.  https://ajcrossingborders.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/galeria-indigenapuerta-vallarta/There is a very nice walk-way by the ocean all the way to the very end of town - nice restaurant there La Palapa.

CABO - tender port - you can again walk all along the inside harbor which has become a pedestrian only "stress free zone" which means fewer touts and hassles - dining, shopping and nice waterside views - we always like to walk it all the way to the end and enter the gated Hacienda Hotel property to visit this very lovely hotel for a late "huevos ranchero" breakfast/brunch and gaze out at the ship in the Cabo bay.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jenp123 said:

From what I have been told the patio furniture that comes with your room is what you get.  So if there is not a lounge chair, you won't be able to get one ( people on the boards have reported asking and been told no)

I travel solo and have never once felt unsafe on the ship at any time of the day.  There are cameras everywhere and there is almost always a crew member around cleaning or working.  

You should be fine roaming the ship a t will,  however, reality is t he  thousands of persons on a ship, are a community   Like any community, there can always be one bad apple.  iF, at  ANY time you feel uncomfortable  walking alone, Pick up a house phone and ask for security  to  assist you.   They would far rather you call  than do not.    i am a solo cruiser now and know  i would  absolutely pick up a housephone if  Igot an inkling  of concern.    The security staff on HAL ships are  able,  experienced, very pleasant  and there to 'provide  security'.   Call them if you need to.  Any place you put thousands of  people, who knows   but  there could be one  jerk in  the crowd.

• Like 1

Adding to what sail said about using a house phone... it's a very good idea for everyone to make note of where the house phones are located so you aren't hunting if you need one.  DH and I are EMTs at home and have come upon people in need and used the house phones to call ship 911.  

LOVE the flower arrangements on HAL!  But flowers can be purchased in ports and brought on board to enjoy in your stateroom - ask your room steward for a vase - but they cannot be taken off when you disembark due to restrictions on agricultural imports.  I vividly remember the red sea of poinsettias in Puerto Vallarta just across from the piers in early December.   

The Lido buffet usually has a variety of milk alternatives, check near the juices at breakfast.  Ask for what you want even if you don't see it out; from any dining venue ask you server and they will bring it to you, or when you order room service.   

PC100029.JPG

• Like 1

I have traveled solo on a number of Holland America cruises and have always felt very safe.  The suggestions in this thread are excellent.  The crew will always be there to help you and do check out where the phones are.  People are friendly on these cruises and you will make some friends from the first day.  In Cabo, there are many restaurants and shops where the tenders come in and lots to do, so you could easily relax in port and enjoy!  Have  a wonderful time and enjoy every moment!

• Like 1

My Sis and BIL are much like you with the DND at hotels. On their two HAL cruises with us, they told the room stewards to please only do the minimum possible that would not get them (the stewards) in trouble! Clean towels, empty trash, don't know about ice. Maybe towel animal?

And please not to move anything! This worked out with only minor discomfort for ALL parties -- the stewards because they WANT to do their jobs, and my sis and BIL because they value privacy!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Adding to what sail said about using a house phone... it's a very good idea for everyone to make note of where the house phones are located so you aren't hunting if you need one.  DH and I are EMTs at home and have come upon people in need and used the house phones to call ship 911.  

LOVE the flower arrangements on HAL!  But flowers can be purchased in ports and brought on board to enjoy in your stateroom - ask your room steward for a vase - but they cannot be taken off when you disembark due to restrictions on agricultural imports.  I vividly remember the red sea of poinsettias in Puerto Vallarta just across from the piers in early December.     Good point about becoming familiar with locat ion of house phones.

The Lido buffet usually has a variety of milk alternatives, check near the juices at breakfast.  Ask for what you want even if you don't see it out; from any dining venue ask you server and they will bring it to you, or when you order room service.   

PC100029.JPG

That sea of flowers is exquisite.  What  a photo.  Thank you for sharing it with us.  I love looking at it.  🙂

Edited by sail7seas

Thank you so much to all of you for the answers and recommendations. It is a huge help!

On 10/27/2018 at 11:38 PM, oakridger said:

3-Speak to your stewards on the first day and let them know your wishes.  They normally only change the sheets every third day (I believe)  My guess is that they would like to get in at least once a day so they can keep "on top" of the cleaning. I have never had them come in when my do not disturb sign is posted.  I am a late riser and have not had any interruptions!

On 10/28/2018 at 12:48 AM, ellieanne said:

3) I would recommend talking to your stewards as soon as possible. I know they have to check in with each room daily, before they are allowed time off, so making sure they know you won't require anything more than a tidy will be helpful to you both.

It sounds like the stewards have a minimum they must do, which is completely understandable. It's not that I'm a fussy traveler, it's just that, as an introvert, my private space is kind of sacred to me. I need to be able to retreat from people when I'm feeling mentally exhausted and overwhelmed by social interactions and activity. I'll chat with the steward on day one so I can understand what their requirements are and to let them know what my needs are. 

On 10/28/2018 at 12:36 AM, Crew News said:

I would also highly recommend the Tamarind ($25) for Asian cuisine prepared to your spice desires.

I'm actually debating skipping Tamarind, to be honest. I have access to lots of great Asian food here in San Diego, and eat it quite often (mostly Vietnamese and Japanese), so it's not really calling to me right now. I suppose I'll play it by ear and see if I'm in the mood for it that week. I will definitely do Canaletto at least once because, being part Italian, I know I can't survive a whole week without the food. Pinnacle Grill is on the fence like Tamarind, though I'll probably crave a steak at some point, so we'll see. As for Sel de Mer, I probably will treat myself. I can never say no to French food.

On 10/28/2018 at 3:21 AM, kazu said:

Question 4 - yes, the flowers will look like what is shown on line but if you wait until you are on board to order, there are many more selections of bouquets / arrangements to choose from and there may even be suggestions.  Flowers on HAL are well done whether you order them in advance or on board 😄 

That is really helpful to know! Some flowers are just far too perfumed for my super sensitive nose, so knowing exactly what I'm getting is important to me. I would really like to avoid sneezing fits and migraines.

On 10/28/2018 at 8:25 AM, sevenseasnomad said:

Have you considered booking a cabana?  You'd definitely have two loungers, plus several stewards to wait on you, even bringing you your lunch if that's what you desire.  Were I traveling alone, I'd look into this option.

I did look into it, but I decided to go with the private balcony instead. I think I'd only get a cabana if I were in a stateroom without a balcony.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:29 AM, OlsSalt said:

What to do in port? - all of them are very accessible on your own. We have taken this route several times and so now find we do the same things when we go back, having also taken many of the excursions to outlying areas which can be good too.

Do it yourself options: 

This is so helpful! I know all the ports will be fairly touristy, but if I can avoid the guided tours and tourist-focused businesses, I'll be a lot happier.  I'm the kind of traveler who likes to wander around getting a feel for a neighborhood, seeing what the locals are doing, and eating what the locals are eating. The only paid excursion I might take is a whale watch in Cabo. 

20 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

LOVE the flower arrangements on HAL!  But flowers can be purchased in ports and brought on board to enjoy in your stateroom - ask your room steward for a vase - but they cannot be taken off when you disembark due to restrictions on agricultural imports.  I vividly remember the red sea of poinsettias in Puerto Vallarta just across from the piers in early December.   

This is excellent news! What I really want in my room is a poinsettia, since it is at Christmastime, and it sounds like I can bring one on board with me from San Diego. I wonder if they'd let me take it off at the end since it's a closed loop trip?

1 hour ago, ninjatoes said:

This is excellent news! What I really want in my room is a poinsettia, since it is at Christmastime, and it sounds like I can bring one on board with me from San Diego. I wonder if they'd let me take it off at the end since it's a closed loop trip?

A poinsettia is a great choice for your cabin. No scent to deal with and a Christmas decoration to boot. Unfortunately, you will not be able to take it off the ship. Have a great cruise. 

Cheers, Denise 

Keep in mind you can always order a fairly decent steak every night in the Main Dining Room - on their "always available" menu. As well as their excellent French Onion Soup - also on the "always available"  main dining room menu or room service.  

Canaletto also suffers from extreme inconsistency - having lived in Italy for a number of years, I can assure you there is little "Italian" about what they offer other than what someone thinks might be Italian. Italo-American red sauce,  and sawdust on the floor variety. So don't get your hopes up, but it still offers some change from the buffet or main dining room options.

We have never quite figured out how to "do" the Canaletto menu because it is pretty much overkill if you follow the menu suggestions and try to have a bit of it all - virtually impossible for one person since their alleged concept is "sharing" plates.  I don't want to even talk about our recent sad experience with their offered daily special "Fegato alla veneziana" (Ouch) A good place to stick with appetizers and dessert in my mind and skip the entrees or pasta.

Same with Tamarind, it is a very westerinzed menu - but does have enticing variety of options so that more than makes up for any lack of authenticity. It is really pan-asian and has Indonesian appetizers, fresh sushi and some pretty fun desserts .I like the little things they offer more than their entrees - so you might want to rethink not going there and just have fun with the first and last parts of the menu.  Shrimp chips with various sambals, soup, sushi and some over the top dessert - I am happy. 

Edited by OlsSalt