RCCL Approved power strip

I would do it for charging my phone and stuff for some reason most ships do not seem to have outlets by the bed I usually  bring 2 extension cords one to run from the wall to the bed and the other to go under the bed for my wife's stuff.  All we plug in is USB based chargers for phone/tablet.  The make your own extension cord is serious but I would use one with screw connectors. A regular extension cord should not be an issue  but if people are using them so that can have a hair dryer and curling iron then it could become an issue.  

I did have an issue one time with a 4 port USB charger that overheated and died on a trip.  I no longer trust anything with more than 2 ports.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:25 PM, Goofyfanatic said:

Why do something that goes against the rules and more importantly can become a fire hazard on a ship in the middle of the ocean? Up until the last cruise I brought on a non surge protector combo plug/hub. Guess what the rules changed And we adapted and went solely to the usb hub. If you really need more plugs ask the ship to provide you with a power strip that they have deemed safe. 

That plus is perfectly safe and permitted under the NECA (National Electricians Contractors Association). Its not a fire hazard and you have no idea. Extension cords are not inherently dangerous, they are simply not permitted to make it easier for the screening personal to sift out surge protectors and not have to make an on-the-spot determination. 

You could do the same thing by cutting off the plug and receptacle from an extension cord, bring a couple wire nuts and roll of electricians tape.  I find the extension cord makes it so much easier for DS16 to plug in his devices when on the couch and we use the vanity plugs for our devices.

4 hours ago, spudman9 said:

That plus is perfectly safe and permitted under the NECA (National Electricians Contractors Association). Its not a fire hazard and you have no idea. Extension cords are not inherently dangerous, they are simply not permitted to make it easier for the screening personal to sift out surge protectors and not have to make an on-the-spot determination. 

You could do the same thing by cutting off the plug and receptacle from an extension cord, bring a couple wire nuts and roll of electricians tape.  I find the extension cord makes it so much easier for DS16 to plug in his devices when on the couch and we use the vanity plugs for our devices.

Sure thing Bud...

5 hours ago, spudman9 said:

Well, extension cords can be inherently dangerous, if you are splicing them together with wire nuts and tape.  And while that plug may be permitted under NECA, guess what, the ship does not conform to NECA requirements, the most common standards are CEE (European electrical council), and generally, a split type plastic cord end like that is not allowed in a marine environment, whether you are sitting in a cruise ship cabin or out on deck.  Marine cord ends will have a one piece, sealed rubber cover for the electrical connections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have nothing else to add to this thread other than to thank chengkp for his thoughtful and informative responses. He knows more about ships and cruising and a whole host of practical knowledge that I ever will and defer to him.  I truly appreciate his concise and detailed posts that are offered with no agenda.  Thank you chengkp and CC is a better place with you as a poster.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Banning extension cords that have no surge protection just for the convenience of the cruise line will actually motivate some folks to roll their own on board - which is definitely more dangerous.  Commercially available UL approved extension cords are well designed, tested, sealed, and very well constructed so they should (and are by other cruise lines) be allowed due to the lack of outlets in reasonable places and amounts in cabins as they are everywhere else on land.

49 minutes ago, little britain said:

The table of confiscated goods today...lots of extension plugs and a couple of clothes steamers 

Jewel Civitavecchia  July 7, 2019

BE34C901-E478-44A2-A97C-D0646033EFEA.jpeg

My eyes aren't what they used to be ... and I don't see ANY extension cords - only power strips?

On 10/31/2018 at 9:04 AM, gatour said:

Besides bringing an adapter for the euro outlet, I also have two battery packs.  One has two USB outlets and the other three.  I don't really need two for a cruise and most times only bring one.  I bought the second one when I "lost" the first one.  These can charge multiple devices, multiple times before they need to be recharged.  Never had a problem with keeping two smart phones, two tablets, an ereader, white noise generator and a gps watch charged. (watch is fo when I walking around on an island.  When I get it home, I load the data in Garmin Connect for a keepsake.

I just charge off these packs and keep them charge as needed.

Both of the packs also have solar cells.  When sitting in the Royal Promenade at the pub,  when the table I am at is in the sun, I have seen them charge.

I have 2 power banks. Is that the same thing? They’re slim and lightweight and very portable. I can charge my phone twice before having to charge a power bank again. 

A solar one would be great for sports events. 

Can you describe yours and give me a brand name?

I think I had 4 batteries with me last time two of them have built in flashlights,  we had 2 phones, and Ipad and Amazon Fire tablet along with a laptop.  I just bring 2 prong extension cords which cannot cause a problem since there is no ground, in 4 cruises have never had a problem.  I just found some fabric covered cords that seem softer and will probably pick some up.  If they just provided a couple of outlets or charging ports by the bed there would not be any need for the extensions.

918UdBnlcqL._SL1500_.jpg

I’m cruising with Grandeur in Sept with a CPAP for the first time. Is there an outlet right next to the bed. If not how do I plug it in if we can’t bring extension cords

9 minutes ago, lpmom said:

I’m cruising with Grandeur in Sept with a CPAP for the first time. Is there an outlet right next to the bed. If not how do I plug it in if we can’t bring extension cords

No bedside outlets on Grandeur.

Your stateroom attendant will lend you an extension cord.

You can also try to arrange one in advance by making a request to special_needs@rccl.com.

8 minutes ago, lpmom said:

Can't remember is Suites have one by bed, other cabins no. No not allowed bring extension cords, some sneak them threw but Royal will provide cord and water for machine. Just ask cabin attendant

On 10/30/2018 at 12:41 PM, Dett said:

I can understand banning extension cords.  They could be a tripping hazard.  Still looking for something official from Royal banning surge suppressors.  If they don’t want to allow surge suppressors they should say that.  For the average person an extension cord is not a surge suppressor.  We like others have stated have multiple things to charge.

Because they have banned ALL extension cords.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Third from the bottom of the main list.

20 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Can't remember is Suites have one by bed, other cabins no. No not allowed bring extension cords, some sneak them threw but Royal will provide cord and water for machine. Just ask cabin attendant

Nope.

But in the GS, the power plugs are not far from the right side (looking from the foot of the bed).

19 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

If you live near a Dollar Tree. This is only a $1.00 Offered by Sunbeam. UL approved. 125 volt 13 amp Cord is about 14 inches. Take mine on every cruise.

Power strip.JPG

And that is a prohibited item on Royal Caribbean.

22 hours ago, jagsfan said:

I have 2 power banks. Is that the same thing? They’re slim and lightweight and very portable. I can charge my phone twice before having to charge a power bank again. 

A solar one would be great for sports events. 

Can you describe yours and give me a brand name?

Yes, the same thing.  One of mine is a AUIPU.  It is orange and one of the flat sides is two rows solar cells.  They are a little thicker than some of the non-solar one I have seen, but it still fits in a shirt or pants pocket.  That one can charge my cell phone 5 or 6 times.  The reason why I got mine was for when I am camping out during endurance sports car races.

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

Why, it is a power strip not an extension cord. All power strips have some length of cord. 

My impression is that the security people don't have the time to spend on determining what might be safe, and anything they see with an A/C outlet is likely to be confiscated.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

My impression is that the security people don't have the time to spend on determining what might be safe, and anything they see with an A/C outlet is likely to be confiscated.

We take it with us on every cruise on every cruise line. Never a problem. Again, they prohibit extension cords. Not a power strips. Power strips are not listed on there prohibited items anyhow.