RCCL Approved power strip

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

We take it with us on every cruise on every cruise line. Never a problem. Again, they prohibit extension cords. Not a power strips. Power strips are not listed on there prohibited items anyhow.

If you look at table above, they are and have started seizing power strips. Saw dozens on the naughty table on my Cruises in Nov and Dec. They are not going check if is or isnt surge protected

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2019 at 11:00 AM, Host Clarea said:

No bedside outlets on Grandeur.

Your stateroom attendant will lend you an extension cord.

You can also try to arrange one in advance by making a request to special_needs@rccl.com.

Not the person you quoted but Thanks for the suggestion. I did a request to the special_needs department and had a response within a couple of hours.  There will be an extension cord in my cabin for my cpap when we arrive.

2 minutes ago, cured said:

Not the person you quoted but Thanks for the suggestion. I did a request to the special_needs department and had a response within a couple of hours.  There will be an extension cord in my cabin for my cpap when we arrive.

Awesome. That is fantastic.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, lpmom said:

I’m cruising with Grandeur in Sept with a CPAP for the first time. Is there an outlet right next to the bed. If not how do I plug it in if we can’t bring extension cords

If you fill out this form they should deliver an extension cord and distilled water to your room.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

A-

On 7/7/2019 at 7:12 PM, twodaywonder said:

If you live near a Dollar Tree. This is only a $1.00 Offered by Sunbeam. UL approved. 125 volt 13 amp Cord is about 14 inches. Take mine on every cruise.

Power strip.JPG

Personally I wouldn’t trust any electrical item that costs $1. 🤷‍♀️

And haven’t you you looked at the picture of the table....and the confiscated items?

2 minutes ago, little britain said:

And haven’t you you looked at the picture of the table....and the confiscated items?

Well that is you. The item is not only well made, it IS UL approved. It would not be UL approved if it was junk. Maybe a dollar but certainly not junk. By the way the same exact one, manufacturer and model number sells in Walmart for $6.95 Guess if it cost a lot more it is better.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:00 PM, Host Clarea said:

No bedside outlets on Grandeur.

Your stateroom attendant will lend you an extension cord.

You can also try to arrange one in advance by making a request to special_needs@rccl.com.

The cruise ships usually provide the thick orange extension cord with one outlet on them. 

It will normally lie across the carpet providing a fall risk. 

If so, ask your steward to tape it down, which might help the tripping risk. 

3 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

If you fill out this form they should deliver an extension cord and distilled water to your room.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do

A-

Agree, Son In Law and Daughter Cruise 3-4 times a yr.He has CPAP and never an issue getting cord and water. 

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And, we're off to the races, arguing that a multi outlet extension cord is somehow different than a power strip.

It seems to me RCI would be well served to commission a RCI branded power strip available in ship stores and online (cruise planner delivered to room )that was compatible with the ships.

Of course at some point someone in China would knock it off and paint it / finish it the same with the logo and TM so it appeared identical.

Still they could do a holographic logo or something and turn a problem into a profit.

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, little britain said:

Don't try to argue with CB at Sea Junior.

They are always right.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And, we're off to the races, arguing that a multi outlet extension cord is somehow different than a power strip.

CB at Sea Junior. 😄

4 minutes ago, nc2sc said:

Glad I saw this. Didnt realize cords had been banned.

What about simple T shaped adapters, are they still ok?

If the device presents multiple A/C sockets, there is a higher probability that they will take it. 

As a reformed extension cord and power strip smuggler this situation is like water bottle filling stations.  A collective groan comes from the engineering and finance staff at Cruise Line HQ- what is the business case (poor), what is the new revenue (none), what is the hassle factor for adding outlets to cabins (high.)  But guest preferences are changing.   Free business advice- cruise on us we have more outlets per cabin 🙂.  If they get 1000 forms every cruise requesting an approved cord- a good solid measurable message.   ChengKP is right (again) though- why risk starting a (smoky electrical) fire?    Home made 115V wiring- OMG.   

I bring the tiny $1 Euro round pin (and or UK 3 pin if Cunard) to 115V plug travel adapters and thereby pick up an extra cell phone/laptop outlet (read the fine print on the back of the device) or two to use on every ship.  And remember it all has to be unplugged leaving the cabin.  

Edited by ew101
  • Like 2

On 7/9/2019 at 1:22 PM, nc2sc said:

Glad I saw this. Didnt realize cords had been banned.

What about simple T shaped adapters, are they still ok?

I had a t-adapter and simple power bar just like the one in twodaywonder's picture confiscated last year.  I was told any thing with a cord and/or electrical plug is not allowed.  USB hubs are the only thing for sure that will make it through. 

By the way, if you use a Samsung Wireless charging pad, the Anker and RAVPower USB hubs will not work.  You will have to charge directly with the USB cord.

5 hours ago, Mythbuster said:

By the way, if you use a Samsung Wireless charging pad, the Anker and RAVPower USB hubs will not work.  You will have to charge directly with the USB cord.

Are you saying that something about the ship's power is preventing those USB hubs from functioning properly?

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Are you saying that something about the ship's power is preventing those USB hubs from functioning properly?

No, I am saying that the Anker and RAVPower USB hubs do not work with the Samsung Wireless (QI) charging pads.  They work with other brands just not Samsung.  Anker does state their hubs will not work with Samsung's Wireless chargers.  I did have some problems when I plugged the Wireless charger directly into the ships outlet but got it to work. The best option is to leave the Wireless charging pads home and use a direct connect using cables.

8 minutes ago, Mythbuster said:

No, I am saying that the Anker and RAVPower USB hubs do not work with the Samsung Wireless (QI) charging pads.  They work with other brands just not Samsung.  Anker does state their hubs will not work with Samsung's Wireless chargers.  I did have some problems when I plugged the Wireless charger directly into the ships outlet but got it to work. The best option is to leave the Wireless charging pads home and use a direct connect using cables.

Thanks for the explanation.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:37 PM, ew101 said:

I bring the tiny $1 Euro round pin (and or UK 3 pin if Cunard) to 115V plug travel adapters and thereby pick up an extra cell phone/laptop outlet (read the fine print on the back of the device) or two to use on every ship.  And remember it all has to be unplugged leaving the cabin.  

Indeed bring an inexpensive European plug adapter gains you another outlet plug to use. Easy peasy (and cheaper/no risk).