RCCL Approved power strip

They have banned all power strips, I believe due to their uncertainty of accuratly determining if one is surge protected.  I could not tell you what would be likely to get onboard anymore.

If you’re bringing something to charge phones/iPad/laptop/tablet look at the anker usb hub. They also sell 12 inch cords to reduce the coiled up clutter. 

Im on Liberty right now and also brought extension cords with three outlets on the end as well as small fans. They were in my checked baggage and nothing was said. On the other hand my MIL got her cord (no power strip or surge protector) taken from her out of her carry on. No way do they have time to X-ray all the checked bags. I bet they just walk drug/explosive dogs past them. 

Just my two cents. 

Yes, it is surge protected:

• Surge Protection: The 3 AC outlets provides surge protection for against electrical spikes (918 Joules)

Just because it hasn't yet caused a fire, it still has the potential. Fire on a ship is a very bad thing!

Search for explanation from ChengKP (Cheng= Chief Engineer, as of a ship).

3 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Yes there is no earth . At sea .:classic_smile:

Actually, there is an earth, or ground connection, even at sea.  The ocean provides a better "earth" connection than does the "dirt" earth on land.  If there was no "earth" connection, why is there a third opening in the US outlets, or why is there the grounding pins (two metal strips around the perimeter) of the European outlets?  Earthing or grounding is provided to protect the user in cases of failure of the insulation of an appliance.  This is required whether on land or sea.  The difference is that the "earth" or "ground" wire on a ship is totally isolated from the electrical power wires, unlike those in homes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janhtx said:

So is the group wisdom that the OP's power strip is banned?  It's the same one I have and have taken on cruises for the last several years. 

ALL power strips, extension cords and the like are now banned.  regardless of whether or not it has a surge protector on it.   you can request an extension cord once on board( it will be the giant orange industrial kind )  

• Like 1

I'm always having a hard time understanding why a power strip is needed.  The desk have either 3 or 4 plugs, and some of the new ships, have 3 plugs and a USB jack.  Yes, I know that one of the plugs is 240, but a 240 plug can be used to charge phones and batteries.  My wife has a scooter.  I have two battery packs for it.  Also uses a CPAP.  The scooter, the CPAP, The iPhones, the spare batteries for the iPhones, all can be charged using 240.  We have never needed a power strip!!!!!.

28 minutes ago, Dett said:

This is from Royals webpage.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

I don’t see surge suppressors.  Does anyone have another policy from Royal?

They ban extension cords, which power strips are simply a variant of.  As for surge suppressors, why would you want to take one on a ship?  Here is a USCG Safety Notice regarding the dangers of surge suppressors on ships, from 5 years ago:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CSNCOE/Safety Alerts/USCG Marine Safety Alert 03-13 Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels.pdf?ver=2017-08-08-082206-293

You can also search CC under "surge suppressors" or "surge protectors" and find any one of the hundreds of posts that I've made that explain the dangers of surge protectors on ships.  Here is one from another CC member that researched what I've been saying and came away convinced of the danger, see post #10:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2187171-power-outlet-strips/?do=findComment&comment=46838999

Surge protectors are a silent danger waiting to happen, outside of your control, and even a brand new surge protector can fail without warning if the right conditions exist on the ship.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

Can I inquire as to why a traditional 110v extension cord (simple brown cord with 4 plugs on the end) would be banned?  I assume as stated earlier to make the screening process easier. 

If one should pass thru the security process, would the Stateroom attendant flag it for removal?

I remember one time they would not allow me to hang Christmas lights in my sons cabin (the incandescent ones, not led) but I understand why as the bulbs can get hot and under some circumstances cause a fire.

2 minutes ago, spudman9 said:

Can I inquire as to why a traditional 110v extension cord (simple brown cord with 4 plugs on the end) would be banned? ...

They don't want to have to examine every extension cord for safety.  Easier and quicker just to remove it.

• Like 2

Suppose there was a 6' piece of lamp cord, roll of electrical tape and a separate plug and receptacle end that ended up in the stateroom. And that some enterprising young man assembled them together to make what looks like a traditional extension cord.  Would that then cause a problem?

Asking for a friend.

13 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

If you’re bringing something to charge phones/iPad/laptop/tablet look at the anker usb hub. They also sell 12 inch cords to reduce the coiled up clutter. 

Im on Liberty right now and also brought extension cords with three outlets on the end as well as small fans. They were in my checked baggage and nothing was said. On the other hand my MIL got her cord (no power strip or surge protector) taken from her out of her carry on. No way do they have time to X-ray all the checked bags. I bet they just walk drug/explosive dogs past them. 

Just my two cents. 

Are you serious?? They absolutely do

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spudman9 said:

Suppose there was a 6' piece of lamp cord, roll of electrical tape and a separate plug and receptacle end that ended up in the stateroom. And that some enterprising young man assembled them together to make what looks like a traditional extension cord.  Would that then cause a problem?

Asking for a friend.

I would expect the stateroom attendant to report it.

4 hours ago, Havingfun2010 said:

I'm always having a hard time understanding why a power strip is needed.  The desk have either 3 or 4 plugs, and some of the new ships, have 3 plugs and a USB jack.  Yes, I know that one of the plugs is 240, but a 240 plug can be used to charge phones and batteries.  My wife has a scooter.  I have two battery packs for it.  Also uses a CPAP.  The scooter, the CPAP, The iPhones, the spare batteries for the iPhones, all can be charged using 240.  We have never needed a power strip!!!!!.

Those plugs go very quick...I have an iPad, cell phone, MacBook (to edit and post my photos), headphones for working out and noise canceling headphones for the airplane and pool. And then there are my DW's devices. One might say that we have too many devices but that is our choice.

We got a 10 port USB hub as all but the MacBook and Camera batteries can charge off of the hub.