RCCL Approved power strip

4 hours ago, Havingfun2010 said:

I'm always having a hard time understanding why a power strip is needed.  The desk have either 3 or 4 plugs, and some of the new ships, have 3 plugs and a USB jack.  Yes, I know that one of the plugs is 240, but a 240 plug can be used to charge phones and batteries.  My wife has a scooter.  I have two battery packs for it.  Also uses a CPAP.  The scooter, the CPAP, The iPhones, the spare batteries for the iPhones, all can be charged using 240.  We have never needed a power strip!!!!!.

On our last cruise there were 5 of us in and family cabin with just 2 outlets. I didn't have a power strip but I wish I did. It was a pain in the neck. 

13 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

No way do they have time to X-ray all the checked bags. I bet they just walk drug/explosive dogs past them. 

Just my two cents. 

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

How do you suppose they find all the contraband, mostly alcohol?

Yeah, I guess they just walk a drug/explosive dog past the baggage of the 110,000 passengers per day at IAH.

Just remember that "it worked for me" is not a reason. For other questions that come up over and over again about what you are allowed to bring, it doesn't really matter if you want to try other than what you are bringing might get taken away. However as explained, surge protector types of devices pose a real safety hazard. So just because someone else brought one and didn't get caught does not mean that you should.

I can understand banning extension cords.  They could be a tripping hazard.  Still looking for something official from Royal banning surge suppressors.  If they don’t want to allow surge suppressors they should say that.  For the average person an extension cord is not a surge suppressor.  We like others have stated have multiple things to charge.

58 minutes ago, Dett said:

I can understand banning extension cords.  They could be a tripping hazard.  Still looking for something official from Royal banning surge suppressors.  If they don’t want to allow surge suppressors they should say that.  For the average person an extension cord is not a surge suppressor.  We like others have stated have multiple things to charge.

Regardless of whether or not RCI has specific language banning surge protectors, the links I provided up thread should prove enough of a warning, and if not, then search my many posts regarding them, to have the average person realize that they could be the source of a fire.  And in case you don't want to search my posts about them, just know that none of the ship's expensive and critical electronics (navigation, fire detection, communication, satellite, POS registers, or engine room automation) are protected by surge protectors, because they are not needed.  Also, the more times you subject a surge protector to marine "'floating ground" systems, the more likely they are to fail, and even a brand new surge protector, working perfectly one second, can go up in flames the next second if there is a ground fault anywhere else on the ship from your cabin.  The failure of a surge protector is something you have absolutely no control over.

You are correct, an extension cord is not a surge protector, but RCI has decided that they do not wish to rely on the training and vigilance of contract security personnel at embarkation to make a satisfactory determination whether something is surge protected or not, or whether your extension cord is electrically safe or not.  It is an insurance liability concern.

As I have stated many times when this topic comes up, the best bet for charging electronics is a multi-USB port (without any power outlets), as most electronics charge from a USB connection.  Nearly all of these "pure" USB hubs (no power outlet) have a two prong plug, which precludes surge protection, and RCI has shown that they allow these.  Further, most of these multi-USB ports can use the 220v outlet with a plug adapter, freeing up the 110v outlets for your high wattage things.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As I have stated many times when this topic comes up, the best bet for charging electronics is a multi-USB port (without any power outlets), as most electronics charge from a USB connection.  Nearly all of these "pure" USB hubs (no power outlet) have a two prong plug, which precludes surge protection, and RCI has shown that they allow these.

And this is the reason that we got on of the HUB's. Based off of your posts!

8 hours ago, Havingfun2010 said:

I'm always having a hard time understanding why a power strip is needed.  The desk have either 3 or 4 plugs, and some of the new ships, have 3 plugs and a USB jack.  Yes, I know that one of the plugs is 240, but a 240 plug can be used to charge phones and batteries.  My wife has a scooter.  I have two battery packs for it.  Also uses a CPAP.  The scooter, the CPAP, The iPhones, the spare batteries for the iPhones, all can be charged using 240.  We have never needed a power strip!!!!!.

Have you been on the older, smaller ships? In a JS on Grandeur, there are two "US" plugs, period, no USB.  I had previously always brought an extension cord with multiple plugs so we could plug in more than two things.  I'll need to bring multi USB on the next GR cruise we're on.  We just got off Anthem 3 days ago and had plenty of outlets in our JS, but that's not how it is on older ships.

Edited by BND

On Serenade a few weeks ago there were only two 120 and one 240 outlets. No USB's or other outlets anywhere in our simple balcony room. Not sufficient for anything and a simple brown extension cord provided a place to connect chargers. The stateroom attendant didn't bother it.

Edited by BillHana
add a missing word

Besides bringing an adapter for the euro outlet, I also have two battery packs.  One has two USB outlets and the other three.  I don't really need two for a cruise and most times only bring one.  I bought the second one when I "lost" the first one.  These can charge multiple devices, multiple times before they need to be recharged.  Never had a problem with keeping two smart phones, two tablets, an ereader, white noise generator and a gps watch charged. (watch is fo when I walking around on an island.  When I get it home, I load the data in Garmin Connect for a keepsake.

I just charge off these packs and keep them charge as needed.

Both of the packs also have solar cells.  When sitting in the Royal Promenade at the pub,  when the table I am at is in the sun, I have seen them charge.

24 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

12 minutes ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Thanks!

• Like 1

Make sure the one you get delivers full (2.1-2.4) power to all ports. So a four port charger needs to have 8-10V of power. Some split a smaller total power between ports that are in use, others have designated ports for 2 and for 1V (which was what some iDevices used?).

41 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Make sure the one you get delivers full (2.1-2.4) power to all ports. So a four port charger needs to have 8-10V of power. Some split a smaller total power between ports that are in use, others have designated ports for 2 and for 1V (which was what some iDevices used?).

That's 8-10A (amps) of total current capability.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 10:53 PM, lifes-a-beach said:

If you’re bringing something to charge phones/iPad/laptop/tablet look at the anker usb hub. They also sell 12 inch cords to reduce the coiled up clutter. 

Im on Liberty right now and also brought extension cords with three outlets on the end as well as small fans. They were in my checked baggage and nothing was said. On the other hand my MIL got her cord (no power strip or surge protector) taken from her out of her carry on. No way do they have time to X-ray all the checked bags. I bet they just walk drug/explosive dogs past them. 

Just my two cents. 

I can tell you at Cruise Maryland every piece  of checked baggage not only goes thru the xray  machine but also checked trained dog before it goes on the ship.

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

17 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

That's 8-10A (amps) of total current capability.

Yep.  All USB chargers output 5 volts.  What is different is the amperage as Bob says.  So, the 10 port hub linked above, which is rated at 60 watts (power), would provide a total of 12 amps at 5 volts.  So, if you use more than 5 of the ports, you will get less than 2 amps at each port.  Another reason that multi-USB hubs are let onboard is that same 60 watts is only 0.5 amps on the input, so it really can't overload a circuit.

23 hours ago, BND said:

Have you been on the older, smaller ships? In a JS on Grandeur, there are two "US" plugs, period, no USB.  I had previously always brought an extension cord with multiple plugs so we could plug in more than two things.  I'll need to bring multi USB on the next GR cruise we're on.  We just got off Anthem 3 days ago and had plenty of outlets in our JS, but that's not how it is on older ships.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure I used a 240 jack on it.  Which goes back to the $1.79 adapter you can use for the 240 that handles your phones.  Going back to my original post, I have 2 scooter batteries, a CPAP, two phone, and spare batteries for the phones.  The 3 jacks always are sufficient. 

33 minutes ago, fredflint said:

I am thinking i might just bring the part to make an extension cord.

3 of these with some wire and then the male connectors all in different luggage

white-leviton-electrical-plugs-connectors-r52-00102-0wp-64_1000[1].jpg

Why do something that goes against the rules and more importantly can become a fire hazard on a ship in the middle of the ocean? Up until the last cruise I brought on a non surge protector combo plug/hub. Guess what the rules changed And we adapted and went solely to the usb hub. If you really need more plugs ask the ship to provide you with a power strip that they have deemed safe. 

Edited by Goofyfanatic

1 hour ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Why do something that goes against the rules and more importantly can become a fire hazard on a ship in the middle of the ocean? Up until the last cruise I brought on a non surge protector combo plug/hub. Guess what the rules changed And we adapted and went solely to the usb hub. If you really need more plugs ask the ship to provide you with a power strip that they have deemed safe. 

Can only hope was being sarcastic, but never know...