What Gratuity to Leave at Specialty Restaurant?

San Diego Ellie

2 minutes ago, c-boy said:

:classic_laugh: that'll break your bank account

we will reduce auto grats by that same amount ...:classic_wink:

nah - we actually don't do much specialty restaurants anymore - way too much food...

I would think about paying a plate surcharge to be able to share a single meal...that would be plenty for the 2 of us

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, c-boy said:

reeeallly !    :classic_huh:  I will check that out   ... update:   results are in and  YES   it is stated price does not include gratuities.  I'll be damned, so the original post  from o p stands.

Actually, the gratuity is covered as it is included in the daily gratuity charge.  They do not remove the waitstaff portion of the daily gratuity charge if you eat in a specialty dining room instead of the main dining room.  And they do know that you've eaten in specialty dining...

2 minutes ago, willie_tee said:

Actually, the gratuity is covered as it is included in the daily gratuity charge.  They do not remove the waitstaff portion of the daily gratuity charge if you eat in a specialty dining room instead of the main dining room.  And they do know that you've eaten in specialty dining...

awww I see, so the servers in the specialty dining get 15% of  the 60 plus dollars my wife and I spend .

1 hour ago, willie_tee said:

How do you know this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

so my daily gratuity would be 13.95 @ day.  So if I dine in one of the specialty dining venues and my bill is over $130 dollars, the severs get 18% of the total,  that would equal more than my daily gratuity ?

Edited by c-boy

Australians have a different attitude towards tipping due to the fact that gratuities are added into the cruise price initially and can’t be removed. That’s why our cruises are more expensive. That doesn’t necessarily mean that we don’t tip a few other people for their good service.

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

A very good historical summary of cruise ship gratuities, I think.  One addition related to Holland America Cruises (now Holland America Line), there was a time period when "tipping was not required" which was part of their marketing as HAC.  And, there was no auto gratuities added to one's account.

I remember HAC's (HAL's) "Tipping not required" marketing slogan. However, think about it - it was basically a meaningless slogan. Tips were never, and still are not required (you can opt out of 'Auto tipping'). It is inherent that tips are voluntarily given. The slogan did not say: "Tipping not expected" or "Tips not accepted". :classic_dry:

I also remember in the days of tip envelopes i.e. before 'Auto tipping', a number of people who were conspicuously absent at dinner in the MDR (there was only the MDR or buffet) on the last night - 'tip night' - of cruises. :classic_sad:

16 hours ago, MauiLvrs said:

For us ... because the Wife has special dietary requests that are always taken care of well...

I think that poor chap has an idea that tip is included in the specialty dining  price.

11 hours ago, c-boy said:

I think that poor chap has an idea that tip is included in the specialty dining  price.

From Princess' website FAQs:

To simplify the tipping process for our guests, a discretionary gratuity of $15.50 per guest for suites, $14.50 per guest for mini-suites and club class, and $13.50 per guest for interior, oceanview, and balcony staterooms. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet. (Italics mine)

I fail to see how that could any clearer...

Edited by TriumphGuy

4 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

So, OP after all these entertaining posts, the bottom line is:  tip what you want or don't tip anything extra at all:classic_blink:

This is what I like about Azamara - no need to tip anyone, anytime.  Of course, as Americans, we still do...  :classic_biggrin:

Yeah yeah yeah.  And we are not expected to tip on Crystal, Seabourn, Silverseas, etc.  On the other hand, we just cruised on Princess for about $65 per person/day in a balcony cabin.  It is not fair to compare Princess to the so-called luxury lines where $400 -$1000 per passenger day is the norm.  

Your comment about we Americans is so true.  We have been so shamed and programmed to tip.  It is part of our culture.  But the problem on cruise ships is they now want us to tip on top of tips, and then tip more.  I can think of at least one cruise line who adds 18% to every bar tab...but still has a line on the tab for "extra tips."   My goodness, when we travel in Asia there are folks who have their hand out when they realize we are Americans.  And this is in a place where tipping is not the norm.  But they know the USA reputation, take advantage, and then laugh about it with their friends.

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yeah yeah yeah.  And we are not expected to tip on Crystal, Seabourn, Silverseas, etc.  On the other hand, we just cruised on Princess for about $65 per person/day in a balcony cabin.  It is not fair to compare Princess to the so-called luxury lines where $400 -$1000 per passenger day is the norm.  

Your comment about we Americans is so true.  We have been so shamed and programmed to tip.  It is part of our culture.  But the problem on cruise ships is they now want us to tip on top of tips, and then tip more.  I can think of at least one cruise line who adds 18% to every bar tab...but still has a line on the tab for "extra tips."   My goodness, when we travel in Asia there are folks who have their hand out when they realize we are Americans.  And this is in a place where tipping is not the norm.  But they know the USA reputation, take advantage, and then laugh about it with their friends.

Hank

Is it the “they want us to...” or that your fellow countrymen have trained them to expect it?

time and time again I’ve read on CC, something to the effect of “ I visited Australia, I knew tipping wasn’t the norm, but they took it”.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Is it the “they want us to...” or that your fellow countrymen have trained them to expect it?

time and time again I’ve read on CC, something to the effect of “ I visited Australia, I knew tipping wasn’t the norm, but they took it”.

Geez, don't get me started.  I am a big fan of your anti-tipping culture.  And when in your country I seldom tip unless we get extraordinary service.  On the other hand, I have posted the story of when we dined in a decent Sydney restaurant and failed to get our dessert or coffee after more then a 30 min wait.  When I finally found the manager to ask questions, he explained that our waiter's shift had ended and he simply went home.  The manager erred and forgot to assign another waiter to our table :).  This does not happen in a tipping culture country.

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

In the words of the always impish and clever Pogo, “We have met the enemy and he is us”. 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2018 at 9:24 AM, MTJSR said:

The daily passenger charge was supposed to cover everything

It's my understanding that the daily service charge only covers those "normally" tippable positions:  Room Steward, Dining Room Serving Team, and those behind the scenes personnel that you don't see (laundry....)

The extra cost dining venues have an additional charge, and some people feel that covers any tipping in those venues.  Others feel it's just an upcharge, and you should tip additionally.

The best answer:  Whatever feels right to you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

It's my understanding that the daily service charge only covers those "normally" tippable positions:  Room Steward, Dining Room Serving Team, and those behind the scenes personnel that you don't see (laundry....)

The extra cost dining venues have an additional charge, and some people feel that covers any tipping in those venues.  Others feel it's just an upcharge, and you should tip additionally.

The best answer:  Whatever feels right to you.

It covers all food serving personnel including those in the buffet and those in the specialty restaurants.

9 hours ago, caribill said:

It covers all food serving personnel including those in the buffet and those in the specialty restaurants.

check in with your cruise personalizer , make a booking in  C G  read the line  "Price excludes gratuity".

On 11/23/2018 at 9:31 AM, c-boy said:

check in with your cruise personalizer , make a booking in  C G  read the line  "Price excludes gratuity".

Right. None of the price is a gratuity. However, you have paid a gratuity via the daily "auto-tip".

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Right. None of the price is a gratuity. However, you have paid a gratuity via the daily "auto-tip".

The daily service charge covers the room stewards and the regular dining room staff as well as some behind the scenes people.  But it doesn't cover servers in the extra cost venues.

At least that's what I've been told........

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

The daily service charge covers the room stewards and the regular dining room staff as well as some behind the scenes people.  But it doesn't cover servers in the extra cost venues.

At least that's what I've been told........

And I have been told that they are part of the tipping pool. You will also usually see these staff members working in the buffet at breakfast and lunch and/or in the regular dining room at those times.

And if you do leave a tip in a Specialty restaurant by adding it to the bill, it also goes into the tipping pool and not directly to the staff in that restaurant.