Bottled Water in Checked Luggage

Seeking advice. RCL has had a written policy that precludes bringing bottled water onboard. But it has really not been enforced. We usually thrown a dozen bottles of water in our checked luggage and have never had any problems (most recently on the Allure out of FLL in March). 

We will be sailing on the Symphony out of the POM in a few weeks. I seem to remember seeing something about the NO bottle water policy being enforced now???

If I have a dozen bottles of water in my checked luggage, will it end up in the naughty room?

The policy changed for the "better" which now "allows" you to bring water on board.  In the past it was not "allowed" but overlooked often.  So now there is an official policy with actual rules, fleet wide, it is best to follow the rules, and be happy knowing that it is allowed. 

Now only if they would start selling water by the six pack or case at a reasonable price, I would just order the water.

I toss about 8 or so small bottles of my favorite Dasani  water in a separate checked duffel bag that has tennis shoes, rain jackets, tote bags.  If that goes to the "naughty" room, I will go the next day to claim it when there is no line, since it does not delay my clothes in the regular suitcases.  It has happened once.  They had me open it, looked at the bottles and then let me take the bag.  

Someone in my group has a medical need for drinking a lot of water, but also can't carry on the 12 bottles they allow on board. Special needs told her that any water checked will be confiscated and that she'd need a doctors note to retrieve it from the naughty room (though I believe they're letting her bring on more than 12). We sail in 5 weeks so I won't know what will happen until then, but at least those by phone seem to think they're now strictly following the rules. 

11 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Someone in my group has a medical need for drinking a lot of water, but also can't carry on the 12 bottles they allow on board. Special needs told her that any water checked will be confiscated and that she'd need a doctors note to retrieve it from the naughty room (though I believe they're letting her bring on more than 12). We sail in 5 weeks so I won't know what will happen until then, but at least those by phone seem to think they're now strictly following the rules. 

We have sailed since the policy change and they were very strict at Port Canaveral.  They were checking quantity and size of the bottles that were in people's carryons and were confiscating excess bottles or allowing people to put them in their cars in the garage.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have sailed since the policy change and they were very strict at Port Canaveral.  They were checking quantity and size of the bottles that were in people's carryons and were confiscating excess bottles or allowing people to put them in their cars in the garage.

Good to know. That's where we're sailing from so I'll make sure she has all the documentation with her so hopefully it doesn't become a huge hassle. 

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I toss about 8 or so small bottles of my favorite Dasani  water in a separate checked duffel bag that has tennis shoes, rain jackets, tote bags.  If that goes to the "naughty" room, I will go the next day to claim it when there is no line, since it does not delay my clothes in the regular suitcases.  It has happened once.  They had me open it, looked at the bottles and then let me take the bag.  

Wasn’t this prior to the recent rule change (which is apparently being strictly enforced)?  

Are you able to ask a staff member at any bar to just fill up your water bottle for you, or will they say they only serve bottled water and make you buy an unopened bottle? Is there any other place to refill your water bottle besides the bathroom sink in your room? Airports have nice refill stations now, but I wonder if they give you a hard time if you ask for your bottle to be refilled at a bar or dining location.

3 hours ago, gerif said:

Wasn’t this prior to the recent rule change (which is apparently being strictly enforced)?  

It was around a year ago, and I have successfully put my water duffel bag through checked luggage since that one time it was sent to the naughty room.  However, I can't remember if the new rule went into effect before my last cruise or not.  Will find out when I do my water duffel next month. 

Keep in mind I only take on 6-8 bottles...not a whole case.  And always thought pax were thoughtless when they simply "slapped a tag" on a whole shrink wrapped case of water to hand to the porters.  

2 hours ago, ravensfan52 said:

Are you able to ask a staff member at any bar to just fill up your water bottle for you, or will they say they only serve bottled water and make you buy an unopened bottle? Is there any other place to refill your water bottle besides the bathroom sink in your room? Airports have nice refill stations now, but I wonder if they give you a hard time if you ask for your bottle to be refilled at a bar or dining location.

Many pax take on insulated re-usable water bottles.  You simply go to the water dispensers, which are plentiful in WJ and other venues..fill a paper cup, then transfer into your water bottle.  Not allowed to fill into your used water bottle directly.  There are usually ice dispensers at the water station, so you can ice your water down in advance also.  If there are attendants at those stations...yes...ask for a glass of ice water (or two).  

Edited by island lady

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

It was around a year ago, and I have successfully put my water duffel bag through checked luggage since that one time it was sent to the naughty room.  However, I can't remember if the new rule went into effect before my last cruise or not.  Will find out when I do my water duffel next month. 

Keep in mind I only take on 6-8 bottles...not a whole case.  And always thought pax were thoughtless when they simply "slapped a tag" on a whole shrink wrapped case of water to hand to the porters.  

Hopefully, they will keep your water, and not let you have it.  The policy is the same for wine.  You must carry it on.  If it is checked, they will assume you carried some on already, just like trying to carry on 4 bottles of wine, two checked, and two carry on. 

This is a good policy change, and they really need to enforce it exactly as they wrote it.  So just carry it on, and follow the allowed procedure. No need to "test it out".

7 minutes ago, Havingfun2010 said:

Hopefully, they will keep your water, and not let you have it.  The policy is the same for wine.  You must carry it on.  If it is checked, they will assume you carried some on already, just like trying to carry on 4 bottles of wine, two checked, and two carry on. 

This is a good policy change, and they really need to enforce it exactly as they wrote it.  So just carry it on, and follow the allowed procedure. No need to "test it out".

Gosh thank you.  😉   I would never, ever consider putting my wine into my checked bags.  I get three bottles of wine delivered to my cabin for free as a perk anyway...so most times I really don't need to take more than one bottle and then sometimes that is still too much.  

If they decide to keep my inexpensive 6-8 bottles of water I put through in my duffel...I think I might manage to survive anyway.  

33 minutes ago, island lady said:

The rule came into effect in September, so unless you have cruised after that, you have not encountered it. You may now carry on 12 cans/bottles of soda and/or water per cabin as well as the two bottles of wine. Nothing allowed in checked luggage. 

2 minutes ago, gerif said:

The rule came into effect in September, so unless you have cruised after that, you have not encountered it. You may now carry on 12 cans/bottles of soda and/or water per cabin as well as the two bottles of wine. Nothing allowed in checked luggage. 

Well, I guess I can just ask for free bottles of water in the SL then...thanks.  I happen to bring on my Dasani since that is the brand I prefer and the ship does not carry it.  I also have 6-8 bottles of free water in my cabin waiting for me at embarkation, which is not my favorite...but I won't die of thirst.  😉 

Edited by island lady

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Well, I guess I can just ask for free bottles of water in the SL then...thanks.  

Of course. Can’t imagine bothering to pack any if you plan to do that. For me, I’m perfectly fine with the water onboard, but when I started cruising no one drank bottled water. 

3 minutes ago, gerif said:

Of course. Can’t imagine bothering to pack any if you plan to do that. For me, I’m perfectly fine with the water onboard, but when I started cruising no one drank bottled water. 

Prefer Dasani...the ship's bottled water is not a favorite, not a fan of the taste.  IMHO I think the tap water, we fondly call "sea water" is better than their bottled water actually. 

Kind of like...some insist on Starbucks, and I am fine with the regular coffee.  Go figure.  😉 

Edited by island lady

22 hours ago, ravensfan52 said:

I'm hoping this will be the case.  We drink a lot of water and bring insulated tumblers.  On our Carnival Pride cruises we could easily get refills at bars (or fill ourselves at Lido deck).  I'm hoping it will be the same when we sail the Anthem (and not have to go to windjammer for a refill when we are enjoying music at a bar).

• 5 weeks later...