Excess baggage

Villanelle

My husband and I will be sailing on the PoA as a stop in the middle of an international move.  We will have a *LOT* of suitcases--potentially 8, plus carryons.  We've got a balcony room, which NCL says is about 178 Sq ft, and the photo shows what looks like a small love seat next to the bed with perhaps a small amount of storage space in front of it (enough to hopefully stack several suitcases as high as we need to, in addition to piling them on the loveseat itself).  Hopefully we could put one or two in the closet as well.  I realize space is going to be tight, but does this sound feasible?  If not, are there any other possibilities for our extra luggage?  (Free is great, but we will pay if necessary.)   I'll pack so that we only need access to one or two of them during the actual cruise.  

Aaaaand, I just (finally!) found on the NCL site that it is 2 bags per person.  I'm hoping our hotel will let us store bags there (we are staying at the same place before and after the cruise).  Otherwise, does anyone have any suggestions?  Please!

Any reputable hotel will store your luggage while you are on the POA especially if you are a guest

before and after the cruise - usually for a fee.

As for ship board luggage don't forget that you can fit several pieces under the bed(s).

As much as 3 under each bed and maybe a couple in a closet compartment.

If you give us an idea where your cabin is and number - possible for a past guest to give

you report of luggage storage possibilities. Also cabin viewing opportunities on YouTube to

get a better idea of the cabin floor plan. 

While NCL hints at the number of pieces they will take care of just make sure it has wheels

for ease in handling and take care of the porters bell men etc.

Suggestion take minimal luggage for ease of mind and handling - store the rest at the hotel. 

What will be your BIG problem is luggage checked on your airline !

Affinity loyalty status - Credit Card - will help - - -

Coach passengers baggage weight per bag is nominally 50 pounds

Business/First Class the weight can go to 70 pounds

Over that Overweight charges can go through the stratosphere and may ever result in air cargo charges

International flights airlines a different set of rules

Plan carefully to apportion the weight between checked pieces

Carry-ons can be of help too - know the rules of the airline you are traveling on

NOW above all leave the kitchen sink at the hotel with your other luggage and relax with minimal fuss on the POA !

Thankfully because my husband is military and we are traveling on orders, we get up to 4 bags per person free (I think up to 70 lbs each as well, though I need to confirm that), so that part is taken care of.  

I'm just worried about showing up the day of the cruise and being turned away, at which point we'd be in quite a panic.  It definitely seems like there is space, based on the additional room photos I've seen. 

4 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Thankfully because my husband is military and we are traveling on orders, we get up to 4 bags per person free (I think up to 70 lbs each as well, though I need to confirm that), so that part is taken care of.  

I'm just worried about showing up the day of the cruise and being turned away, at which point we'd be in quite a panic.  It definitely seems like there is space, based on the additional room photos I've seen. 

Will you be staying at Fort DeRussy since you are on government orders or at some other military facility ?

Make some inquiries of what our government can do for you.

You will appreciate not having a ton of luggage to tote around getting to and from the ship - once your luggage

is given to a porter on the pier NCL will take it from there getting it to your cabin and on the last night of the

cruise getting to a claiming point on the pier.

If are not able to store the unneeded luggage pieces consider the type of taxi or other vehicle that is going to be

required to haul all this around. Make life easier for yourself so you can enjoy the cruise.

1 hour ago, Villanelle said:

If your husband is military he should know how to pack well enough to not need eight bags!  Packed correctly one can fit sufficient clothing for two people for a 10+ day cruise in a single suitcase. 🙂

When my son got out of MCRD and we went directly to a cruise, he was able to bring his luggage, including two full duffle (very heavy) bags and a suit case with no problem.  You will be fine I think.

Edited by NurseJEB

4 minutes ago, NurseJEB said:

If your husband is military he should know how to pack well enough to not need eight bags!  Packed correctly one can fit sufficient clothing for two people for a 10+ day cruise in a single suitcase. 🙂

When my son got out of MCRD and we went directly to a cruise, he was able to bring his luggage, including two full duffle (very heavy) bags and a suit case with no problem.  You will be fine I think.

I think what is happening here is the husband is on PCS orders (Permanent Change of Station) and enroute to his new

assignment he and wife are having some well deserved vacation time before that deployment. Packing under those

circumstances can be very trying. Living out of suitcases until reaching that deployment can be very trying.

Regardless if mission is in the front lines or background support - "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE" !

2 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I think what is happening here is the husband is on PCS orders (Permanent Change of Station) and enroute to his new

assignment he and wife are having some well deserved vacation time before that deployment. Packing under those

circumstances can be very trying. Living out of suitcases until reaching that deployment can be very trying.

Regardless if mission is in the front lines or background support - "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE" !

Agreed.  We lived the service life for several years while my other half was an active duty Marine.  Speaking of which, Happy Birthday Devil Dogs!

https://www.desktopbackground.org/p/2011/03/04/166640_happy-birthday-us-marine-corps-wallpapers-hd-for-desktop_1920x1080_h.jpg

3 hours ago, NurseJEB said:

LOL  We will be living out of suitcases for a minimum of three months and more likely 4 , including several climates (Colorado winter and Hawaii being just two), two continents, one prefecture and 4 states (and that's just where we are going to spend more than a night or two passing through), and 5 cities; requiring formal wear (true formal, like a floor length gown, not cruise "formal"), specific outfits from out-going ceremonies at our old location,  an entire suitcase of uniforms, another suitcase of household items,  reams of medical records, all our important electronics (laptops, router, external hard drive, etc.), and many more items necessary for a move of this duration and scale etc.  This isn't 8 bags for ten days!  It's 8 bags for 3+ months, many life circumstances, and an exceptionally complicated military move.

Edited by Villanelle

6 hours ago, Villanelle said:

Aaaaand, I just (finally!) found on the NCL site that it is 2 bags per person.  I'm hoping our hotel will let us store bags there (we are staying at the same place before and after the cruise).  Otherwise, does anyone have any suggestions?  Please!

Even though it says 2 bags per person we have seen people with more. Now as for what you are bringing, that does call for letting the NCL know ahead or time. I would suggest you contact the hotel first to see what they say. Storing them would be a much better idea in my opinion, but that is just me. If you try to stack them and it ends up being a rough sailing you are going to have them flying everywhere, plus regardless of the cabin size, you will be very crowded. that size includes the balcony area. 

THANK YOU TO ;YOUR HUSBAND FOR SERVING AND PUTTING HIMSELF IN HARM'S WAY FOR HIS COUNTRY. 

You can bring as many bags on board as you want. No one is going to stop you. If they are less than 12 inches high you can probably get 4 of them under the bed. the only problem with the bags is that you are going to be even more cramped in what is already a cramped space.

9 hours ago, Villanelle said:

Tip the porter. They won’t know if there are 2 or 4 people in the cabin. They are not checking tickets. 

Thank you for your service.

Is there a way that you can ship your extra luggage to your final destination without needing to take it on the cruise?  When I worked for the post office, many military personnel used the U.S. mail to ship personal belongings to their next duty station.

2 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Thank you for your service.

Is there a way that you can ship your extra luggage to your final destination without needing to take it on the cruise?  When I worked for the post office, many military personnel used the U.S. mail to ship personal belongings to their next duty station.

Good idea but with monetary problems unless the serviceman's orders prescribe FREE Postage.

With the PCS orders a reasonable amount of personal goods (luggage baggage whatever you

want to call it) is transported free of charge.

Should be someone to offer assistance and answer questions about excess luggage CC is not the best source

outside of what goes on a cruise ship.

The Armed Forces in Hawaii should have a HELP or assistance office contact:

Air Force - Hickham AFB

Navy - Pearl

Marines - Camp Smith or Kanehoe MCS

Army - Ft. Shafter

Ft. DeRussy is the joint services hotel shared by the services at Waikiki

We could ship to an interum destination (not the final because we have no address there, and we will possible need some of it before that point anyway), but we'd pay out of pocket for that and it would likely be pretty expensive, which seems silly when we can carry it as luggage for free.  I'm not sure what the postage on several hundred pounds (3-4 50-70 lb suitcases) would be, but likely not cheap.  

And thank you for the resources.  Really though, my only question is exactly what you mentioned CC could help with --having all these bags during our cruise.  We know what will and will not be reimbursed.  Shipping these items won't be.  That's why our plan is to do it the way I mentioned in my first post--the one possible flaw is the week of the cruise.  I've been unable to contact our hotel and NCL due to plans and the time difference, but I'm hoping to get that taken care of soon so I can have an answer!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't  even consider dragging all these bags around,   You really want to bother with them getting to the ship,  on/off the ship   etc.   Contact your hotel directly-   and look to store them there-   first.    Assuming you are staying in one of the large resorts?   A google search brings up Waikiki baggage storage.     Have you looked at this option?   And  just ship your bags to their destination, perhaps?     

After reading everything.. if your going to have a car in hawaii.  Getting one of those first month free or cheap storage units might be the cheapest option.  I know you used to be able to get cheap space a rooms on base. It was like 10 a night... then get to know someone there to store it....  maybe the MWR has storage locker as well.... so many ways to go on that

One thing to remember, if you go the "stack the bags in the cabin" route, is that the ship does move, and likely those bags will not stay stacked neatly out of the way.  I've never heard of NCL storing excess baggage outside the cabin, but it might be worth a shot to contact Guest Services on the ship ahead of time, and see if the Captain can agree to do it.  Be sure to mention that it is a service related move.

The bagbnb and Waikiki storage options are about $5-6/day/bag, and the storage at the airport is about $15/day/bag.  Your hotel is likely the best option.

We sailed an ocean view stateroom on the Jade and had room for 8 bags. My daughter had just finished her year study abroad.  We chose a two week cruise specifically to be able to travel with her luggage after her study abroad. I did call ahead to ncl and got an ok prior however upon arriving at port it was never mentioned.  Full size suitcases fit under the beds, in between the beds and closet.  Of course she wasn’t getting into any of them.  Had packed one for use on the ship. Don’t be so sure reputable hotels holding bags.  We stayed in a 5* hotel who said no, but eventually said ok to storage for a couple nights with a big tip.  But this was Europe.  The hardest part was logistics getting bags to ship and airport.  

Ive used Charlie’s taxi service in HNL in the past when we’ve had people arriving and departing different times.  They give a military discount and have large vans fixed rates.  If you’re staying pre or post cruise be sure to spend some time at Bellows AFB. One of my favorite beaches in the world.  Lodging is hard to get there but you can still spend a day, gas up vehicle, rent beach equipment, get sandwiches at subway for next to nothing. Facilities are pristine and no worries leaving belongings on beach to swim because your on base.