Would we Like the Smaller Ships

ScotBrit17

Looking for some feedback from the experienced X cruisers. We are a couple who have sailed a few times on Celebrity and always in the larger Solstice class ships. The locations we want to visit now all seem to be covered by the smaller Millennium ships (I know "smaller" is relative, they are still large ships). We are not sure if we will like these ships. Our enjoyment comes from:

Keeping ourselves to ourselves (we like to build relationship with staff but no real desire to make new friends). Don't want to keep meeting the same people in restaurants and bars.

Enjoying the tremendous food options in the buffet and always finding seats for breakfast and lunch

Get a little sun in the morning or go off to explore, have lunch and then walk around the ship for some time just enjoying the shops, bars, entertainment and activities.

After dinner have a few drinks at the Martini bar, go to the show (this is important to just walk in and easily find a seat)

Then watch the entertainment in foyer or bars before going to bed.

We are concerned that the lower number of passengers and facilities will mean less of everything on the ship which would impact our normal high enjoyment level. Appreciate if those who regularly cruise on both ship sizes can give me their thoughts on the impact that the smaller ships might have on our enjoyment.

We have been on both S-class and M-class ships many times....and yes, the M-class ships seem to  have more interesting itineraries.  We find them pretty much interchangeable in terms of enjoyment.  Each class has it's plusses and minuses.  We are just off the Reflection and our next three cruises are on the Constellation and Millenium.

If you book the M-class, remember that the concierge and aqua balcony cabins are physically larger than the other balcony cabins....worth the extra cost, IMHO.  

My wife and I have been on six X cruises, Reflection, Eclipse, and Solstice and three times on the Summit.  We simply love the size of the Summit, both the size and the number of passengers.  We come away feeling like we were pampered just a little bit more. We have an eleven night cruise coming in January aboard the Reflection going to different ports and I have been wondering if I’d like to start looking into cruising with Azamara because I think I would enjoy the intimacy of smaller ships and the ability to explore different ports. 

Both S- and M-Class are great. M-Class is not a downsized replica of S-Class ships, they have their own character. Great common areas that allow you to socialize or sit as a couple and not. One major difference for me is the T-Spa on the M-Class. It’s forward of the Spa area and is a large very warm saltwater inside pool with lots of water action and steel pipes on the sides that form lounges you lay on in the water and bubbles come up and ‘maasage’ You. Fantastic.

We get forward SRs on deck 8 or 9 so we can zip up to it in the AM and take full advantage of it. The Spa Cafe is right there with great light breakfast/lunches.

So if you like S-Class, I believe (you never know though) you’ll love M-Class. 

Enjoy!

Den

Edited by Denny01

My first cruise was on the Summit, an M-class ship, last year. I really enjoyed it. The ship had everything I needed, even for an intinerary with more sea days than port days. 

My second cruise is coming up on the Silhouette, an S-class ship, and I’ve been familiarizing myself with the ship through the deck plans, photos on CC, and reviews/trip reports here. What I gather is that the S-class ships have more of things — more bars, more restaurants, more public spaces — but not much that isn’t available at all on the M-class ships. The biggest difference seems to be specialty dining; while there are several specialty restaurants on the S-class ships, the M-class ships have only two. 

I would happily sail on the Summit again. 

We started in 2001 with Celebrity on the Zenith. Service, food and accommodations were absolutely amazing. With only about 1,400 passengers  the embarkation process was very easy as well.

Back then there was ONE restaurant and of course a buffet and the only difference in passenger's services was our butler and priority boarding. There weren't even any verandas on our suite. 

Never seemed crowded at all. Now after cruising with them and Royal Caribbean for about 19 years the ships seem to get bigger with each building cycle.

We went from the Zenith to the Mercury to the Millennium and on to the Solstice class. Not the same product but nothing is after almost 20 years.  Aside from some crowding at times and a definite decrease in staff, service, food and general accommodations, it's not enough to dissuade us from continuing to cruise, but is none the less noticeable.  

We have noticed a strong trend in what appears to be making Celebrity more and more like Royal Caribbean.

Larger ships will have by their very nature more to spend on entertainment with 2,000 guests in a theater rather than 800. We have found that aside from a few minor exceptions we have been able to find the small ship experience on the very big ships, just have to look for it. LOL

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

I’ll disagree with the ‘strong trend’ they are making Celebrity more like RC. Nothing close in my opinion.

RC is catering to families with the floating amusement parks with so much for the kids and teens who need that type of entertainment, and ships approaching/exceeding 5,000 passengers. Great for extended families.

Celebrity just launched the Edge which is very similar is size to S-Class and appears (no one has been on it to write a review/report back) to be catering very much to adults. No water slides/climbing walls/surfing/etc, and the inside ‘verandas’, overlooking Central Park - what the heck is that???. So I find it more than a bit of a stretch to compare were RC has gone and where Celebrity is going. In fact instead of saying ‘in my opinion’ I’ll say flat out, There is aboslutely no comparison. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

6 hours ago, ScotBrit17 said:

Looking for some feedback from the experienced X cruisers. We are a couple who have sailed a few times on Celebrity and always in the larger Solstice class ships. The locations we want to visit now all seem to be covered by the smaller Millennium ships (I know "smaller" is relative, they are still large ships). We are not sure if we will like these ships. Our enjoyment comes from:

Keeping ourselves to ourselves (we like to build relationship with staff but no real desire to make new friends). Don't want to keep meeting the same people in restaurants and bars.

Enjoying the tremendous food options in the buffet and always finding seats for breakfast and lunch

Get a little sun in the morning or go off to explore, have lunch and then walk around the ship for some time just enjoying the shops, bars, entertainment and activities.

After dinner have a few drinks at the Martini bar, go to the show (this is important to just walk in and easily find a seat)

Then watch the entertainment in foyer or bars before going to bed.

We are concerned that the lower number of passengers and facilities will mean less of everything on the ship which would impact our normal high enjoyment level. Appreciate if those who regularly cruise on both ship sizes can give me their thoughts on the impact that the smaller ships might have on our enjoyment.

Sounds like you’d enjoy them.

unless you need to be entertained around the clock.

We love both the S and M class ships.  The S class are larger, but very well designed.  The buffet is far more efficient due to use of islands than the M class.  However, the M class has fewer people and is still a great ship.  Our only cruise on a mega ship was on the NCL Epic and it was our least favorite ship ever.

We actually prefer the M class ships over S class.  Much better itineraries and less of a crowd.  Remember no matter how many are onboard, everyone wants to be pool-side or on deck on a sea day.

Recently, did Connie (Adriatic) in 2016 and will be back on Summit in the Caribbean in January.  Also many S and M class Caribbean sailings.

M class specialty dining is limited (only 2 restaurants - no Murano anymore) + Sushi on 5- and with LPC coming to all ships that eliminates one more specialty venue.  That's not a good thing for us.

Shows - DW and I walk into the balcony mid- show (later showtime) and there are always plenty of seats....usually front row.  I'm sure there are seats in the back of the main floor too.  Just can't be picky where you sit.

Buffet has the usual offerings...We are not big buffet people but I hear that S class has a better layout.

Give M class a try!!!

We've been on the Connie twice and the Silhouette twice. We've also cruised on the Reflection. All three were great experiences.

Apart from the Reflection cruise, we chose a CS on the hump. No issues with rooms on either ship. Speciality restaurants were good ---- we loved Murano! The entertainment in the bars and atrium was excellent ----we're not into shows.

We prefered the layout of Michael's Club on the Connie although its position on the ship was rather a pain! 

Luminae was excellent on all three ships.

Reflection: we had a SS which meant that we were tucked away on the 14th deck. It was so much better than a CS.

So, we don't really have a preference. We're back on Silhouette for the Ireland/Iceland cruise next August.  

M-Class is smaller but not small by any means.  We love both classes.  The M-Class ships are the first to undergo the Revolution (major renovations) starting with Millennium.  If you book M-Class keep an eye on the schedule for this for the ship you want and maybe book a cruise after it is complete.

Thanks to everyone, you have all convinced me that I will enjoy the M-class ships. Unfortunately prices are crazy just now so I will not pay $400 pp for a balcony cabin in Med for 2019. Hopefully future offers will make it attractive enough for me to book.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:11 PM, ScotBrit17 said:

Thanks to everyone, you have all convinced me that I will enjoy the M-class ships. Unfortunately prices are crazy just now so I will not pay $400 pp for a balcony cabin in Med for 2019. Hopefully future offers will make it attractive enough for me to book.

Wow which med sailing is $400pp for a balcony cabin med cruise on X 😱

has Christmas come early?🎅🏼

I know it’s probably a typo and should be $4000pp 😎 

Also just to add, at the back of the ship on the M class there is a food station

that serves made to order Sadwiches, panini and grilled Steak and Chicken

I have not been on an M class for a number of years so it may have changed

We have cruised on both classes.  For us, the S Class is more our “cup of tea.”  Both classes are awesome, and we never had a bad cruise on either, but the S Class is newer with brighter colors.  The M Class is generally darker all over the ship.  But both have the great Celebrity service and are all a cut above overall.  You can’t lose, no matter which you choose.  Enjoy!

On 11/15/2018 at 6:18 AM, swigso said:

Wow which med sailing is $400pp for a balcony cabin med cruise on X 😱

has Christmas come early?🎅🏼

I know it’s probably a typo and should be $4000pp 😎 

Apologies, I did mean $400 per person per day. A bit much even for the quality of Celebrity.

I have watched a few videos and there are definitely less on ship entertainment and food options on M class but the quality of whats available  has convinced us to consider when suitable prices become available.

We have an "S" class cruise coming up in Feb., but even on earlier "M" class and the old Century we never found it a problem of running into the same people at bars, etc. or getting into the show. Personally prefer the Azamara and Oceania-size ships. That why cruise ships come in all sizes, so there's a "fit" for everyone.

I love both M and S class ships - have sailed on both types many times.  In reading what matters to you, the only part I think you will possibly find disappointing is the buffet.  The buffet on M class is significantly less appealing than those on S class IMHO.  Fewer options, and it seems like more repetition of offerings (although I imagine this could vary by sailing/crew).  In every other regard, M class sometimes would excel over S class in the topics you mentioned.

Topic is great!

Interestingly, many years ago on an X cruise, senior staff conversed individually with  us and many other repeat cruisers on the topic of smaller ships.  Several years later, Azamara appeared as an X product.  Of course, it wasn’t long before Azamara Club became a separately marketed division.

I want to think that our in-debth discussion on that cruise, as well as others, had some influence on the approach.