Honeymoon night mare because we were not able to take the trip bought for us...

mistyandrade

23 minutes ago, ETinCA said:

Just curious, why couldn't you get your paperwork and go to the first port of call? So you miss a day or two. Sorry it messed up your honeymoon though. Please don't be angry at Carnival though. 

They would have needed passports to fly to the first port of call. I highly doubt, given that they were using birth certificates, that they have passports. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruiserbarbie said:

I assume you both work so travel insurance might have helped.  Don;t know for sure but for young people who are employed, cancel for any reason MAY and I say May have eased the financial burden a little.

Travel insurance doesn't cover lack of proper documentation.  

8 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Wow ... here's a suggestion for people planning a wedding & honeymoon.  Plan an affordable wedding, and PLAN to leave for your honeymoon several (3 - 4) days after the wedding.  You get everything home.  You have time to de-stress from 'the day' and do all the laundry and sanely pack what you need.   LISTS   LISTS   LISTS   packing list.

I agree.  My DH and I got married at a Bed & Breakfast outside in their garden.  We had a kareoke dJ as entertainment. The only flowers I did were lillies and got them from a supplier at a fraction of the cost. Cut the blossoms & floated them in bowls of water.  Had a cheap Justice of the Peace ... The apple orchard, rolling pastures and blooming flower gardens were all the decorations needed.  We had a BBQ reception right there at the bed & breakfast.  

Total cost of our wedding ... food, DJ, fees for the B&B, and my gown & all, his tux and flight to the honeymoon was $3,900.  No debt.  We had a BLAST ... it was a great party. 

Still about $3800 (several cruises) more than mine, lol. Sounds like you did a great job for a reasonable price that was within your means. 

I read the OP post and it makes me really sad. I feel like they have a very, very difficult future ahead.  I think they need some Dave Ramsey! 

Edited by BNBR
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Still about $3800 (several cruises) more than mine, lol. Sounds like you did a great job for a reasonable price that was within your means. 

I read the OP post and it makes me really sad. I feel like they have a very, very difficult future ahead.  I think they need some Dave Ramsey! 

The Dave Ramsey idea is a great suggestion.  (he recommends never borrow money.....ever).  Think it would fall on deaf ears in this situation.  

• Like 2

I appreciate all info and suggestions, whether it's good or bad.. This was our first time going on a cruise, so we did not know how important it was too take all documentation.. We both work allot and havent found the time to travel yet , like I said I had it together either way I just left it behind....  I placed everything else in my marriage license envelop but the BC cause I found it the day before our wedding. I know now too make copies and start packing in advance and use a checklist... It's a tough lesson to learn.. It just sucks my mom losing out on almost $1000.. But it's my fault.. Thanks again everyone for all the advice.. 

20 minutes ago, mistyandrade said:

I appreciate all info and suggestions, whether it's good or bad.. This was our first time going on a cruise, so we did not know how important it was too take all documentation.. We both work allot and havent found the time to travel yet , like I said I had it together either way I just left it behind....  I placed everything else in my marriage license envelop but the BC cause I found it the day before our wedding. I know now too make copies and start packing in advance and use a checklist... It's a tough lesson to learn.. It just sucks my mom losing out on almost $1000.. But it's my fault.. Thanks again everyone for all the advice.. 

Don’t beat yourself up too badly. It’s a life lesson. In the grand scheme, it’s small potatoes. If you and your husband work hard, you can easily make up $1000. Don’t focus on the loss. Focus on your future and let it go. By this time next month it can be a funny joke if you allow it to be. Hugs to you.

• Like 1

I am sympathetic to the OP for the disaster of missing the honeymoon and wasting her mother's hard earned money.  She is devastated, as anyone would be, and that's all just a terrible feeling, because she disappointed not only herself, but also her mother and her husband, and it's going to take her a long time to get over it.  It's hard to live with a mistake like this, and it could happen to anyone, especially an inexperienced traveler.  It is truly a very sad situation.

The backlash comes from the overall tone of the post, which hints that the responsibility for the situation fell to anyone but herself.

Even from the beginning, it sounds like this whole thing may have been the mother's fault "because she is an ongoing crusader" which almost sounds like she is some sort of pushy radical parent who forced this cruise on the newlyweds. Then it becomes (at least partly) the fault of other people and other circumstances:  the stress of the wedding, the rush of leaving the house the morning of the cruise, the heavy traffic, the port agents, the 1-800 number. 

The more she looks for someone else to blame, the more whining and begging the tone of the story, the harder it is to sympathize. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, coevan said:

I always switch to my "travel pocketbook" a day or two before we leave for any cruise/vacation we go on.  The first things that go in are my wallet and passports.  This was a terrible thing to happen on your honeymoon, but maybe (as someone else stated) you could have inquired about flying to the next port and meeting the ship there.  I know people that have done that when they missed their ship due to weather delays, etc.  On the brighter side, wishing you the best on your new lives together.

It seems clear that the OP doesn’t have a passport so catching up to the cruise by flying to a foreign port wouldn’t have been an option. Whether it’s good or bad, the ability to cruise without a passport opens up cruising as an option to people who don’t travel internationally. It can be easy to forget that cruising is international travel and documentation is essential.

Sorry that you missed your honeymoon. That would suck.

Before our first cruise, we were so pumped we DVR'ed every show we could find about cruising. There was a one hour show that specifically showed nothing but the boarding nightmares of several folks due to forgotten documentation. That scared us straight. We have passports. We have a backpack I carry that is the "cruise" backpack. That is all it is for. I keep a folder in it with copies of our passports and birth certificates. Anything we don't want to forget gets stored in the backpack. Some items stay in there all the time. Extension cords, usb cables. Binoculars, spare glasses. Just a variety of things not to forget.

I hope this doesn't sour you for cruising. It's very fun.

46 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

It seems clear that the OP doesn’t have a passport so catching up to the cruise by flying to a foreign port wouldn’t have been an option. Whether it’s good or bad, the ability to cruise without a passport opens up cruising as an option to people who don’t travel internationally. It can be easy to forget that cruising is international travel and documentation is essential.

The result would have been the same had they left their passports at home (yes, I have read threads where that has happened).

31 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Hi

Good point. 

When I originally made the suggestion of flying out to catch up with the ship, it just didn't even enter my mind, because I have always had a passport. Of course, travelling from Canada, we would need a passport even to enter the U.S.. I can remember when a drivers license was sufficient.

Of course this point has already been mentioned in the many threads talking about maintaining a passport. However unlikely the need for one if cruising will be your only venture outside your of home country, sometimes there are benefits to having a passport.

No advice beyond what has already been said.  Your mom should be able to be her taxes and port charges back which is something.  I would at least call Carnival and explain the situation.  Maybe you will get a sympathetic agent who is able to do *something* for you.  Maybe a voucher for your next cruise.  Word of advice - Be nice and admit it was your fault.  I have worked in call centers before and a nice person always got a lot more help from me than someone who was yelling and screaming.

I am thinking back to our honeymoon and how devastated I would have been if we couldn't go.  And how at that age, $1000 seemed like an enormous amount of money.

Best of Luck - I am wishing you many happy years together.  In 10 years, this will be a good story you tell when you are eating out with friends...."Let me tell you about our romantic honeymoon cruise...Oh wait...We never got to go!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The result would have been the same had they left their passports at home (yes, I have read threads where that has happened).

If they had had passports and left them at home they would have still been unable to board; but flying to the first port to catch up the next day would have been an option.

i was also commenting on the fact that the OP said she didn’t realize how important it was to have the birth certificates. I think that most people who go through the trouble of getting a passport recognize that no passport with them = no trip. 

Edited by sanger727

24 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

If they had had passports and left them at home they would have still been unable to board; but flying to the first port to catch up the next day would have been an option.

i was also commenting on the fact that the OP said she didn’t realize how important it was to have the birth certificates. I think that most people who go through the trouble of getting a passport recognize that no passport with them = no trip. 

If they had the money to fly to the first foreign port and if the cruise line even allowed it (from what I've read they approve this less often now). 

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

I am sympathetic to the OP for the disaster of missing the honeymoon and wasting her mother's hard earned money.  She is devastated, as anyone would be, and that's all just a terrible feeling, because she disappointed not only herself, but also her mother and her husband, and it's going to take her a long time to get over it.  It's hard to live with a mistake like this, and it could happen to anyone, especially an inexperienced traveler.  It is truly a very sad situation.

The backlash comes from the overall tone of the post, which hints that the responsibility for the situation fell to anyone but herself.

Even from the beginning, it sounds like this whole thing may have been the mother's fault "because she is an ongoing crusader" which almost sounds like she is some sort of pushy radical parent who forced this cruise on the newlyweds. Then it becomes (at least partly) the fault of other people and other circumstances:  the stress of the wedding, the rush of leaving the house the morning of the cruise, the heavy traffic, the port agents, the 1-800 number. 

The more she looks for someone else to blame, the more whining and begging the tone of the story, the harder it is to sympathize. 

You are exactly right.  

It is sad that you missed the cruise and what would have been a good honeymoon.  I think most people have regrets when they were young and just made mistakes.  I think the next time you might forget  a suit case before you forget the documents.  My wife always stands in the middle of the house before leaving saying " I hope i didnt forget anything"  and i say, do we got the paperwork?  We carry passports, i know it isnt manditory but I like them and they arent questioned. I do feel for you as it is a bitter pill to swallow,  just remember many of us have had our own pills and it all goes to lessons learnt.  I hope for you a peace that will replace the negative feelings.  

Everyone in my family needs to read this post so that they stop complaining when I insist that at every stop when reentering the vehicle, they show their travel documents. Passport or Birth Certificate required to continue this trip to the port. 

Edited by asalligo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you.
Hopefully you are able to enjoy a "staycation" and not let this ruin what should be a wonderful time bonding with your spouse.

Mistakes are definitely going to happen in life, and learning how to handle them as a couple will definitely make your marriage stronger.
I know it seems like a big thing now, but years from now, probably on an anniversary, you will look back on this, shake your heads, cringe and laugh about it.

To any of my family/friends reading this:
This is EXACTLY why I don't just ask if you have your ID/Passport/Reservation info but make you show it to me before we drive hours away from the house! (I also show mine as well, not a total tyrant 🙂 )

5 minutes ago, Chervil said:

To any of my family/friends reading this:
This is EXACTLY why I don't just ask if you have your ID/Passport/Reservation info but make you show it to me before we drive hours away from the house! (I also show mine as well, not a total tyrant 🙂 )

Exactly! This thread actually made me have to get up and put my hands on my passports. 

Edited by asalligo
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Travel insurance doesn't cover lack of proper documentation.  

I would assume “cancel for any reason” means you can cancel for any reason. 

12 hours ago, mistyandrade said:

Someday you will be telling your kids about the honeymoon cruise that didn’t happen, and the cruises you’ve taken since. 

We got married in 1961 and our first cruise was in 1984, a cabin with no porthole and upper and lower bunks. We’ve made up for it since. You have a lot to look forward to. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, asalligo said:

I think we use that term, I have never seen a true cancel for any reason policy. There are always restrictions. 

You actually can cancel even if you just changed your mind. You can’t do it day of sailing, though, and you don’t get your money back, just credit toward a future cruise. 

And yes, it would not have helped in this case. 

51 minutes ago, asalligo said:

Exactly! This thread actually made me have to get up and put my hands on my passports. 

This!! ☝🏾

In fact, I just texted my MIL and said, “I know I told you go get your passport for this trip, but grab that AND your birth cert!” This lesson is for ALL of us.

I'm in charge of my family’s documents and I walk by them every day sitting patiently on a counter. Birth certificates will be stuffed in the suitcase per another posters suggestion.